Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

botany posted:

- here's a big one! you ready? We have an entire tree dedicated to curses, and none of them is Amplify Damage lmao. I thought there would be runes that do that, in order to buff up the pet builds, but nope!

I'd guess that there's a good reason they didn't put in Amp Damage. It's probably one of those skills that's either too good, and no other curse ever gets used, or isn't good enough, and 0% of people use it because it's not worth it. No middle ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Sort of surprised to hear how many people have problem beating GR 20. I did it on necro with no set bonus' and Evol as my only useful unique, and I don't even think I had Skeleton Mage on my skill bar at that point

Also I got that ring at like level 40 owned noobs

e: I will say it was frustrating how terrible single-target is for necro during the leveling period, and even up through 4p Rathma's.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Colt Cannon posted:

I made a necro this season, all excited to try it out. I have never played a pet class before(never did a WD run), and I am slowly starting to realize that I don't like it much. I am at Paragon 450, and able to run a 67 GR in time, but I can't push through a 69 GR.

Half tempted to just start over with a Monk or Crusader, because that is what I know how to play.

Are you missing key items? I cleared GR70 last night at about paragon 200.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Has anyone tried out the Pestilence set? It appears to be the least amusing. Trag'Oul's looks boring to play but at least powerful, Inarius and Rathma look/are interesting to play, but Pestilence seems to not manage either.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

Pestilence can be fun when you insta-Bone Pop an elite for a hundred beezy but it's lacking in damage beyond T13 farming, and grinds to a halt on bounties. Buffs to the 6pc are supposedly on the way that will buff all Corpse skills by 3000%, not just Spear.

Gotcha.

It's a shame that Trag's is BIC because talk about a snoozer. I watched some some guy do a GR 115 or something and he just did nothing until Simulacrum and Lance were off CD, holds down right-click for six seconds, then goes back to running around in circles.

COE is boring, LoN Bombardment is boring, Trag's is boring, cooldown builds are boring. It's a shame they keep ending up so good.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Kyrosiris posted:

I can agree with very long CDs being boring, but even in the worst case scenario a CoE cycle is 20 seconds. CoE owns, actually.

CoE is fine if you're goofing off. As stated earlier, what's frustrating is that when you want to really push up the GRs, you have to start paying close attention to the cycle and time your damage dumps in line with it.

This play style isn't necessarily undesirable, but that feature of it is compounded by the fact that it's part of a large percentage of end-game builds across all classes. I don't have D3 up right now so it's inconvenient to check, but I'd bet 5/6 top solo builds use it. Whenever an item is virtually mandatory like that, it's poorly designed.

And don't forget how miserable it is to actually keep track of the cycle with that icon. I've always thought that if I wanted to truly push up the GRs, I'd need to build some sort of AHK script to make it more obvious when I'm supposed to be shooting.

e: At the end of last season, every class but WD and Wiz used CoE to top solo GR. That includes Necro this season.

The Wonder Weapon fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jul 27, 2017

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

I realized the other day that it's "Trag'Oul" in D3 instead of "Trang-Oul" as it was in D2 and I feel like Blizzard is gaslighting me

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

AlternateAccount posted:

OK let me see if I can distill the responses into some decent guidance.
Is that about it? More sockets more gems more critical?

1> Add sockets to jewelry using Gifts and put big fat gems in them.
- Yes but not topaz/ruby, etc. The legendary gems you get from completing greater rifts (GR). Each time you complete a GR, a different legendary gem will drop, until you've collected them all. You also get to level up those gems as you complete GRs, and you should pick the ones most useful for your class and focus on those. (To figure out what those, are open the leaderboards with shift+L and see what gems the guys at the top are using.)

2> How do I get extra critical from gloves and rings?
- Take the item to the mystic and reroll one of the stats. Common primary traits that people roll off in order to get more critical hit chance (CHC) or critical hit damage (CHD): Life on Hit, Life Regeneration, Armor, Reduced Resource Costs. Click the little question mark icon next to each modifier to see what it can turn into in order to be sure you've picked one that can even roll crits.

3> Don't reroll secondaries, roll for sockets instead.
- Never reroll secondaries. Roll sockets onto your weapon and jewelry. Roll crits anywhere you can.

e: One last thought. If you find an ancient item (yellow border, says "Ancient,") ask in chat before rerolling anything on it.

The Wonder Weapon fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jul 27, 2017

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

And primals have a 1/100 chance of rolling from an ancient, with even higher stats and perfect rolls. :v:
I thought that primals have the same max roll on stats as ancients, it's just that they're always perfect. And are those odds right? 1/100 ancients are primal? That would mean that for every 1,000 legendaries, one is primal? I guess that actually doesn't sound erroneous, given how many primals I saw last season.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Speaking of ancient items, is there any simple rule of thumb for picking between a regular item the has all the right affixes and an ancient one that doesn't? Or is it too complicated and build-specific to boil it down?

The max roll on most stats for a normal item is less than the floor for an ancient item, so ancients should always be better, assuming the same modifiers. Of course, a mainstat/crit/crit/socket normal ring is going to be preferable to vit/cdr/loh/rcr ancient.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

headcase posted:

I've been half heartedly trying to get Trags working (I really enjoy rathma).

It is not working. I just copy any of builds on top of the leaderboard. I have all the gear. It just doesn't ... work. Is the Idea that you need a golem spitting corpses when solo? non of the top guys use golem.

Is the idea that you round up half the dungeon and then land of the dead? That doesn't seem survivable? LOTD doesnt come fast enough, even with 40% CDR

what is the deal? I didn't see a guide for what seems to be the current meta build. I am missing some facet of it.

Stop trying to copy the leaderboard Trag builds. They're the most boring playstyle imaginable, and suited to a very specific task. This video explains it and shows him playing a rift as he goes, and you can see that he only ever attacks while lotd and simulacrum are off cd. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gB73J_uxPyY

I'm sure there's a different Trag's build that's actually for playing, rather than abusing GRs, but I don't have a reference handy.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

It's my current seasonal Necro: https://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Yuppidoo-1198/hero/92829099

You can substitute Frailty for Siphon in groups, or Simulacrum with more CDR to push rifts. You can also try to work in a different necklace + ring combo than Endless Walk.

Did you post a general play pattern for this anywhere? I felt like spamming Devour and Skeletal Mage was correct but it was hard to tell if that was optimum

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

How would you compare it to a Rathma's minion build? I'm running the bog standard Rathma's right now with one or two minor skill tweaks and I"m enjoying it, but I'm a tad stalled out at GR80 and trying to figure out if it's just my equipment, if I'm just not that good (first time I've done a season since launch), or if the build itself has a ceiling.

I can't speak to his build, nor the particular ceiling you're at, but builds in general absolutely have limits. Even with mono-primal gear you would hit a hard ceiling, and it's obviously less for all ancients or all normal gear. Most players and builds will stall somewhere in the 75 to 85 range. It's typically only the best build for a class that gets to go much beyond that, and then it's all about grinding out paragon levels, maxing your gems as much as possible, and trying to switch to all ancients. "Git gud" can occasionally buy you some additional GR levels, but probably not more than five, and that's pushing it.

To get a feel for what Rathma's is capable of, start at the bottom of the leaderboard and see what people are using. You'll be able to tell where Rathma's mostly completely falls off and it all begins switching to Trag's.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Ort posted:

I must suck really bad at the trag Lance build. Even with the gold wrap/boon/avarice band setup I die quite a lot in t13. Probably just need some practice, but it just seems like a crappy version of EB wiz. I love the trag set thematically but find it is difficult to use in most builds I try. The blood nova speed farm build absolutely destroys T11 for me but hits a wall pretty quick when I go higher and stop 1 shotting things.

I should probably just gear for Inarius bonestorm since I like tankier builds but just can't give up on trag yet. My profile for speedfarm corpse lance is below if anyone has suggestions!

https://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Buttdinner-1385/hero/92955407

Trag Corpse Lance, if you're copying the leaderboards anyways, is designed specifically for high-level GR clears. There are a variety of reasons you're going to find it unwieldly in the manner you're using it. I posted a video a page or two ago about it; I'd watch that if you're curious, and in the meantime, I'd switch to something else if you're trying to farm.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Poultron posted:

I really hope there is a sequel or expansion on the way,

I got some bad news for you bud

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

I realized it's been awhile since I dropped by and told Jay Wilson to gently caress himself for ruining Diablo and being an rear end in a top hat. Apparently he finally got fed up with me doing it every six months.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

What is wrong with you.

I apologize for nothing

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

With all the gear and skill changes, are there any builds that are playable now that weren't before? I notice Tempest Rush got several buffs, for instance.

I know it's Diablo and "play whatever you want" but still am curious about what's gotten better.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

What is the most fun build to play

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Is the frenzy barb playstyle really just mashing m1 constantly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

No.

You just hold the button down.

Oh, you don't bind it to m1. Got it.