Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think CE has some good potential with Inarius and that poison scythe thing but I haven't farmed up all the necessary pieces to make it all fit just yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Frailty is just Amplify Damage in reverse. Although I suspect the reason why Necros don't have it is because it has already been duplicated by so many other class abilities.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Lansoc posted:

No new season for another three weeks. At least it gives people time to figure out the builds for necro.

This month is effectively a mini-season where everybody on the ladder is playing Necro. I think the gap is a good idea because some people will probably get bored of Necro by then and they'll be more class variety in S11 proper.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

My initial thoughts on Necro are that he's good when you're doing the omega pro stuff you should have been doing in D2 (Corpse Explosion, Bone Spear) and weak when you're doing the trap nooblet stuff you shouldn't have been doing in D2 (skeletons, golem).

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Admittedly I have ~1150 paragon but with a little help from some banked gear/gems I managed to clear a GR60 with just 6pc Inarius + CE and In-geom / CE gloves / CoE in the cube. My goal now is to switch out Endless Walk for the BA necklace + CE ring, farm up the 2H poison scythe, and see how many beezies I can get from a 3-4 poison stack CE.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The more things change..

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I have no idea to be honest, especially for Corpse Explosion where the only ASPD you're limited by is how fast you can press the button.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

There are a lot of choices with that build I wouldn't make TBQH. For one you can just equip the 2H poison Scythe then cube In-Geom for all your CDR needs. Then you wouldn't even need OrotZ to get a permanent CE snowball going, and could wear the 200% damage CE ring and the 300% damage to stunned ring while keeping the Bone Armor neck, while keeping CoE in the cube. Those combined would easily eclipse the effects of Trag'ouls while letting the Necro wear a 2H, which is what you really want for CE since it's all base weapon damage. Trying to wedge curses in there is too unwieldy I think. Take out spreading Malediction and Blood is Power then slot in extra health globes on corpse use and Necro cheat death. At least that's what I'm going for.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Biggest challenge for CE Inarius so far is just surviving comfortably past GR65. For CE you most definitely want the gloves cubed, so you can't just immediately slap in an Aquila without RoRG, which is also not ideal since CE has many desireable jewelry slots. I feel like LoNsplode would be a lot more flexible since Bone Armor is kind of limiting in how dependent you are upon it for mitigation. You're also relying a lot on Decrepify in this setup, which IMHO is awkward to fit into a CE build.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Is Krysbin actually intended to be a Necro-only ring? I just thought it was a new item for everybody.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Krybbies is a good Necro ring for sure but don't forget that CoE is even more OP for Necroman than other classes thanks to its 33% uptime.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I like Necro but I feel there are just a few too many buttons to press and resources to manage compared to the other classes. I want to get a LoN build going with Corpse Explosion because I think that would go over much smoother with better damage reduction options.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

If this were a Bioware game the biggest complaints would be disappointment that the Necro can't romance the skeletons in Act 1.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

It would be a nice QoL adjustment if CE was greyed out when you hovered over an area with no usable corpses.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

If you have a ton of crafting mats on non-season then keep upgrading rares to farm up a 6pc set.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Also if you're trying to complete a set, you can hold onto a duplicated set item and throw it back into the cube with the convert recipe.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

I've been playtesting with Inarius Jewelry. I swapped from my middle of the road Traveler's Pledge with Kriysben and Unity, but now I've swapped to wearing unity, kryspens, Johnstone and then the +5 bone armor stacks amulet in my cube. At TXIII and GR 65, I felt that while I really didn't notice a difference in my damage, I felt like the bonus stacks from my bone armor offset the loss of the traveling damage reduction enough that I wasn't dying, but not enough that I didn't notice a big increase in incoming damage.

Johnstone is weird, because i feel like its effect will be more appreciable at higher greater rifts. Where I'm at right now is I pop LotD, then spam lance on an elite without cursing or bonestorming it. I get like 40-50 stacks and then run around, but I dont really know how to do the math to figure out the top end of the janky jewelry build vs. the tride and true pledge. How exactly can I best compare the numbers? Despite Johnstone being clunky, it does make your LotD more engaging and less of a "push to win" button

Johnstone gets better the more time you stay out of LotD, but for higher grifts, CE Necro is basically reduced to a two-minute wonder anyway where you spend the majority of your cooldown time rounding up mobs and then popping LotD for mega damage. It's still useful for getting the snowball started when your corpse generation is low, but it's not as necessary as Wisdom of Kalan. However in my experience the likelihood of finding a well-rolled WoK is basically zero and Johnstone will at least always come with guaranteed CHD.

My feeling is that if you can survive, then the net effect of Krysbie + CoE + Wisdom + Johnstone cubed will edge out the contribution from two of those + Endless Walk. CE Necro isn't like Shadow DH where you can take a couple seconds to build up damage stacks from standing still -- you're basically always moving and repositioning to take advantage of fresh corpses + not die.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I played some Bone Spear Necro this morning with the Pestilence set. It's pretty amusing how well you can keep everything on the map locked down in a dense rift.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Has anyone tried an Inarius Bonespear build yet, which I suppose would look a lot like the Pestilence one except you put Scythe of the Cycle in the cube?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

DrSeRRoD posted:

-Pestilence set was meant to be the speedfarm set, and they're working on it so that it gets to that point. They are likely going to buff corpse lance, and have the 6pc affect it and possibly all of the corpse skills, because they didn't hit the mark on the 6pc. The intention is for someone to run devour as they blast through a rift and have tons of free lances flying around killing everything on the screen.

Having played around with Pestilence all day yesterday that is my general feeling on the set. It's great when you can blast through a T13 with ample corpses and lock down the entire map with Devour, but IMHO it just lacks damage from Corpse Lance, so much so that by the end I was just cubing the Devour chest and focusing mostly on Bone Spear. The spec is set up so that you'd want to use the LotD necklace, but there's just no reliable way to do enough damage right now without Endless Walk. If you can't pop a monster open in two hits or less to gobble up health globes then the build grinds to an embarrassing halt.

That being said the playstyle and visuals are totally awesome and if Corpse Lance gets a damage bonus then it'll probably be my favorite of the Necro sets.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I think if some of the proposed changes from yesterday make it onto seasons, then Pestilence will be my preferred set for Necro. The look and flow to the set is awesome, it just needs to do a little more damage and have less ramp-up time. Even better if the idea where all corpse skills get boosted by the 6pc goes in because then you can even go CE instead of Lance.

It's ironic that the so-called Necro speedfarm set is actually the worst for bounties by a mile because there isn't enough mob density to get enough essence back from Devour and the damage reduction from Bone Spear takes so long to build back up.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

If you convert an ancient set item do you get an ancient? I converted some gloves and I think I ended up with an ancient item which the cube specifically says can't happen.

The reforge legendary recipe can make any item roll as ancient (it can also make ancient items revert back to normal). Convert set item (different recipe) is the one that cannot make set items ancient.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I think it's probably some combination of "what else can we possibly do with a class resource that we haven't done already" with the Necro actually having three possible resources between Essence, Life, and Corpses. Having no passive regen means you kind of need to commit to a builder or develop some other means of acquiring Essence, which is what at least one set and several items + passives are built around. I don't know how I feel about it yet. As it stands I already think the Necro is the spammiest class in the game next to Wizard, but unlike wiz builds your killing speed grinds to an absolute halt when there are no corpses + essence to recover. I do like there being a whole bunch of resources that can theoretically be built around, however.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Inarius is good but it's nowhere near even Hammerdin, Manald Wiz, or Bellmonk, which have only gotten stronger for several patches in a row.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The playstyle of Pestilence is really solid and you can clear T13 with it no problem, it just needs to do more damage at the top end. According to Travis Day on the Necro livestream a couple days ago the 6pc is going to be reworked to also boost Corpse Lance damage and possibly all corpse-based skills along with Bonespear.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Gharbad the Weak posted:

I know you can reforge a legendary into becoming an ancient, but if you reforge an ancient, can it turn into a normal legendary? I assume yes, but I'm afraid to find out.

As Kadala says, "anything can happen."

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Assembling the final pieces for CE Inarius is actually kind of a pain because Wisdom of Kalan always rolls aspd and the Johnstone has a huge degree of variance to its legendary text, not to mention it's a rare tier amulet that can also roll like crap. Black Death scythe and Krysbie's also have a high degree of legendary variance. The build doesn't absolutely need all those pieces to come together but you will end up rolling a lot of dud items, unlike say Shadow DH which comes online almost immediately.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Crusader isn't fun for groups because nobody else gets to hit anything while you ride your horsie through the entire dungeon, instantly erasing elites.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

There are actually quite a few ways to do it but they mostly all center around some mixture of Akkhan's + Invoker, thorns damage, and the horsie Flail/Shield combo set. Look up "Crusader speedfarm horse build" and copy whatever you see from 2.5 onward in accordance with the gear you already have.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

LoNbard is superior in the long run but I'm going to guess as someone new to the game that he won't have many of the pieces required to make it work. Good to save up those ancients for though.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The Reaper of Souls team was almost a little too good at fixing D3 because then a whole bunch of them got poached to revamp other Activision games like Destiny and eventually Josh Mosqueira left Blizzard to start his own studio.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Travis Day is the current Lead Intern of D3 and he seems like a smart dude. I believe in him and his shiny bald dome.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

That's only one way to play Inarius though, and it doesn't touch any other aspects besides just the very obviously unintended Miranae proc rate. I haven't even been using that gem because I knew there was no way it could stand.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Lightning was for trapsins, Meteorb Sorc for life.

Now that I think about it the visuals for MH Archon and trapsin are very similar, with the exception being that the Wiz herself is the trap.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

ChickenSuit posted:

What are you using instead? Bane and Pain are my other two. Can't decide on what to switch to. Guessing Efficacious Toxin?

Right now my Necro is CE so I use ESO to stand in the monster poop and live. If you're doing Lance then Zei's could be pretty great too.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

DD are useless if your build doesn't use primaries.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Guilty posted:

Yes, very good, that's what it says on the item itself. Anyways, no LoN build calls for pox faulds

Ancient Pox Faulds as bad as they are would be better for any single LoN build that does not use a primary.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Guilty posted:

For fifteen bucks, Necro doesn't add a lot for casual players, other than the two extra stash tabs. There's no new mechanics or anything.

But it is pretty fun for casual players also. I'd say start without it and wait and see how much you like the game.

Not true at all. If you're not using DD, you want Swampland Waders.

The original post was in response to "what can I do with these primal ancient pox faulds" on a Crusader that almost certainly doesn't have ancient Swampland Waders.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

You're kind of dumb, Guilty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Putting a primal puzzle ring in the cube should give you like, an all gel goblin vault.