Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
is there supposed to be some kind of stat or indicator for when the Legacy of Nightmares effect is active?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
is there a particularly good way to farm for Deaths Breaths?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

What's the point in upgrading yellow's to legendary's? Also I'm pretty sure that you can't get ancient legendary's that way right?

you can use it to guarantee a legendary ring or amulet, which is otherwise expensive to gamble

you can also use it to guarantee a legendary weapon, and AFAIK the weapon model matters, so you can narrow down what you can get by quite a bit

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
does anyone else just completely ignore what happens to the items from the previous season after a restart and rebirth, even if all those items expire in the mail?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
is there a set/build that supports the Crusader having summons up most (if not all) the time, like an Inna's Monk or a Necro's Skele Mages?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I actually really liked the LoN season bonus, so seeing it turned into a gem is pretty nice

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I thought the previous season's gimmick was pretty good for alts: you're almost guaranteed to have a couple of loose ancients that you can put on to get a basic build capable of doing at least T3 or something, and then from there you can farm up sets and upgrades directly instead of using your main as a channel

and in this sense, I was thinking the Nightmare jewel would let you do that again

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

bamhand posted:

Opened up 15 more chests. Still no Crimsons. Tried doing it on a different char and even made a barb named Cohen. No dice.

check your stash or your inventory to see if the recipe has been sitting there all this time

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I hope the Druid has a fully supported summoning tree.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Kitschy Bitch posted:

I'm just excited to be fighting Duriel without dying before I can load in.

That's been fixed for years now. Duriel's room pre-loads as soon as you start the Staff sequence

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
at what point does "+x to skill" not also just be effectively +10,000% damage to an ability?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
the previous season bonus was better than the Triune

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Kyrosiris posted:

Isn't it only one per character per act though?

it's one per difficulty, as you finish the Den of Evil quest, but then you can farm specific bosses in Hell that drop items that'll let you do more respecs

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
"respeccing" is really only necessary within a larger context of the game

if you design character progression in such a way that:

* the early levels are playable/doable just by taking skills and investing in them as they come, in real-time
* you don't need to "bank" skills for higher levels
* you can't screw yourself over with a "bad build"
* most "builds" are reasonably versatile and capable

then the pressure to allow for respecs becomes much less. It'd still be a good idea to allow, or to allow on a more limited basis, but it wouldn't be as much of a dire need

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Mayveena posted:

All of that takes a helluva lot of game knowledge. Knowledge you don’t have starting out.

no but that's what I mean: if the game were designed that you could, for example, as a Diablo 2 Sorceress just take points in Firebolt* and play with Firebolt on the way to taking Fireball, and then putting points into that when it unlocks at 12, and so on, and it would turn out just fine, even if you didn't "do the math" and just picked the skill because it looked cool or was the next logical point in the tree, then you wouldn't need the knowledge of looking up a build guide, nor would you (badly) need a respec, because it would be just fine either way

* in a sense, this is what synergies might have been trying to do, though it still didn't really work out that way

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

euphronius posted:

To answer your question : There is no down side I guess. It’s just a different game.

yeah, this. To make another example, World of Warcraft had respecs that you paid for - and in a time when getting the 50g's for a respec was a rather steep cost, it did create these situations where players were incentivized to find some kind of "hybrid build" if they wanted to do two different things, or plan their weeks around only respeccing every so often, or resign themselves to playing sub-optimally in certain roles/activities

eventually the game did drop that model entirely and moved to a more Diablo-3-like set-up where your specialization+talents could be more-or-less freely changed, even from one raid boss to the next as long as you had a group willing to summon you back after going into town, but also only because the game had changed enough that 50g was no longer a significant amount of money and people were respeccing almost at will anyway

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
1. when's the next season gonna start?

2. what sets are gonna be rewarded at cap?

3. what's the new season gimmick?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

bio347 posted:

It's actually a bit hilarious to think that the assassin's build-and-spend playstyle is basically non-existent in endgame D3. All of the classes have resources that are theoretically designed to promote it and yet, here we are.

This is a natural outcome of optimization: players will eventually gravitate towards getting enough resource / regeneration to be able to use spenders all the time, or improve the builders enough that they can use the builders all the time.

(WoW ended up in the same place back when designers still had it in their heads that DPS casters should run out of mana and Intellect was therefore a DPS stat)

bio347 posted:

Didn't Zeal (and possibly Jab and Fend) have that wonderful bug wherein if the first attack missed all the subsequent ones were then guaranteed to also miss? The good ol' days... :allears:

Yup.

Jab was okay because it was only ever two attacks per sequence.
Zeal was capped at 5 attacks in one of the first post-release, pre-LOD patches, and was fine since.
Fend was the one that was never really fixed, because it was one-attack-per-monster-within-reach, rather than a discrete number of attacks.

This was exacerbated by the Amazon's dodge/avoid skills causing the all-miss desync whenever they triggered, so you actually wanted a minimum of dodge chance if you were a Fend build.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Thorg posted:

I miss my Zealot so bad. Sweep attack and Thorns w/ Punish just don't feel satisfying to me. The Barbarian skill Cleave feels great, but has never really been useful.

my favorite Paladin build was definitely max Defiance, max Holy Shield. It'd take you just about forever to kill anything, but you were completely untouchable.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I only just saw now that the new season's gimmick is followers with full equipment sets. does that make them capable of dealing decent damage yet?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Can you play this on a Switch, with two players on the same screen?

If the answer is yes, could someone explain how to do it as though I were an addled schoolboy?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Thank you.

Is there a way to unlock adventure mode on non-seasonal short of playing through the plot?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Torchlight 2, Grim Dawn, and Godfall would be the ones I'm comfortable recommending you check out, in that order

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
for what it's worth Torchlight 3 actually does have controller support on the PC, but it's also my understanding that it's a somewhat more shallow game than TL2 (I have it and have played some of it, but have not gotten very far)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
are they seriously going to release a PC version of Diablo Immortal? Whatever the hell for? I mean yes because it means more rubes to extract cash from but

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

mewse posted:

They said ppl would emulate the android version anyway so they might as well release on PC as well

when you put it that way I guess it makes sense

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The other concern I have for Diablo 4 is that what we've seen from the gameplay makes it look like Diablo 3 with the serial numbers filed off. The Rogue gameplay vid might as well have been the Demon Hunter.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Cyrano4747 posted:

Mostly what I want is a modern ARPG that doesn't have QUITE all the crunch bits rounded off like D3. I play more D2 (and titan's quest, and grim dawn) these days because I really enjoy the process of making an actual build with, like, points and poo poo rather than just grabbing abilities like you do with D3.

yeah this was sort of what I was getting at when I said I wasn't that enthusiastic about what I've seen of Diablo 4 (and I'll grant that it's maybe early enough in the process that whatever they've deigned to show us might still change)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
DI more like D1 as in when are we getting that Resurrected (yes I know there's a fanmade HD mod but it don't got controller support)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

nostrata posted:

If I really needed to play d3 while pooping I already have it on the switch.

yeah this

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I don't know if there's been an earlier bait-and-switch than the Gran Turismo deal but I was shocked at how brazen it was

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I kind of wonder if there was ever a point in development where it was more of a straight port of D3 with some polish, and the monetization only came later, or if Immortal was always designed with this in mind because the mobile market demands it as a matter of course

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

poemdexter posted:

Wasn't the whole engine already a different mobile game and it was just reskinned with diablo assets? Also you can't as a company go mobile gaming and charging people to buy it. The only option now is microtransactions and squeezing as much from your userbase to appease the shareholders.

for what it's worth I wasn't exactly thinking "what if they just released Diablo Immortal as a 20 (or 30 or 40) dollar game on the mobile with flat pricing" but more like "what if the monetization was a bit more moderated" but I get your point.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

It was a mmo arpg from day one. Apparently pretty directly just a diabloified version of one of netease's existing phone mmos, Crusader of Light.

thanks for the clarification

Swilo posted:

Besides the obvious post-capitalist hellscape response, why is this an intrinsic truth? If there were a really good game released on a more traditional payment model would mobile gamers simply refuse to pay up front for it? Are they unable to?

I'm pretty sure the Android port of Baldur's Gate is sold on the Google Play store under a completely straight pricing model, but that's probably also a consequence of the game already having been made from top-to-bottom.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
let me see do I buy a gaming rig with an i9-12900KS and an RTX 3090Ti

... or do I buy gems in Diablo Immortal

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o17lBUZgjTs

Josh Strife Hayes did a video on D:I - it's maybe the third video of this kind that I've seen so far breaking down how bad the game is, but it's the one I'm bringing up because it's written well enough that I'd be comfortable sharing it with others, and it's revealed a couple of things that were new to me on the 'holy poo poo they really did that???' meter, particularly the Boon of Plenty system (it's real bad).

also, this video has a lot of gameplay footage of D:I that Hayes uses as b-roll, and it's here that I realized it almost literally is just Diablo 3 on a phone, right down to the Demon Hunter's turrets being exactly the same. I just shrugged and went back to playing regular-rear end Diablo 3.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Lmao at blizzard breaking out the jangling keys after Immortal

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Diablo 2 and 3 are both excellent on the Switch but 3 is basically Immortal without the predatory microtransactions

You're gonna love it

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Some things I learned over playing Diablo 3 a lot over the weekend:

- you don't actually start with Adventure Mode unlocked for non-seasonal characters with a fresh install/account.

- instead, Adventure Mode is unlocked for Seasonal characters, and that's good enough for maybe 99% of people, but it can catch you flat-footed if you decide to start playing in the two-week hiatus between seasons. In my case, I did want to build-up a big stable of high-level characters and really get to enjoy things like using the Gem of Ease to level-up "alts" even though I play so slowly that I can't do all of it within one season, so I did care.

- and then, there's something about playing in a Season that will unlock Adventure Mode for non-seasonal characters, presumably once the season is up and your high-level Seasonal character gets turned into a non-seasonal character. I don't know exactly what the trigger is, but it's probably got something to do with killing Malthael at a given level/difficulty.

- for the Switch, you need a Nintendo Online sub to access mail, which is how you're otherwise supposed to get all of the stuff that was in your Seasonal character's stash, when they get converted to a non-seasonal character. Again, this doesn't matter for 99% of people, but it did impact me, since it meant I'd have to re-farm all of the legendary gems to get to a new Gem of Ease. I think it would also work to just keep items in your character's inventory instead of the stash, right before the season expires, if this matters at all.

- good god almighty leveling a Crusader from absolute scratch is painful until you get Blessed Hammer.

- getting a new current-level weapon crafted at the smithy after every regular Rift is a big help in making sure your leveling stays at a decent pace. This works until 60, when there's a complete shortage of craftable weapons until 70 again and you have to rely on drops (but at that point usually the damage curve has risen by enough that it's not so bad).

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
oh yeah, to be clear, I wasn't trying to prescribe anything in particular - it was just describing stuff I found out empirically and why it mattered to me in my specific case

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
D1 Resurrected with controller support would own bones