Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Yeah but I always stood by Rhykker because he has the sexiest radio voice I have ever heard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

The problem with Diablo III's story is not that its dumb but that its intrusively dumb. There is a reason why the main selling point of RoS was a mode to skip it.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

dont even fink about it posted:

I have never gotten the obsession with "seasons," all it does is split the player base up and it's a band-aid for the total lack of end game content or variety in the base game. Once you've put a character to 70 and have the good set(s), which doesn't really take long, the game's done, there's no point in rolling a second monk.

I like the structured goals they give you to progress (along w/the free gear) and with the variety of builds every season I never play the same build twice.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

I think the best way to do the high GR's as a casual is to play hardcore, do the season journey, then continue to push GR's as long as possible without grinding until you pop.

Of course I'm not that great at it since I only capped out at GR 86.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

mewse posted:

GoGoGadgetChris <INCEL>

The virgin pet necromancer vs the chad condemn crusader

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

I just noticed that one of the conquests is "level 3 gems to 65" even though one of the normal requirements for completing the journey is "level 3 gems to 70" :thunk:

I'm guessing its an easy conquest thrown in for people just trying to get tabs

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

Personally, not starting the season at my personal convenience is a SLAP IN THE FACE

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

Hey I don't want to brag or anything but I got my ring of royal grandeur from an act 4 cache on a sub-torment level

Suck it, arachnid cave

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

bamhand posted:

Oh dang, I guess I was thinking of the skeletal mage ring that is available at level 1.

Also I did not know this ring existed, literally never seen it in my life:
https://us.diablo3.com/en/item/briggs-wrath-P6_Unique_Ring_02

That's a fun ring that I used in a ghetto blood spear build last season while I was farming up the skellie mage pet build. I used it to group up enemies together then blow them apart with one spear.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

Incoherence posted:

I feel like I say this every couple months in this thread, but the RMAH wasn't the problem. The AH was. The AH distorted the punch skeletons/get loot/punch bigger skeletons gameplay loop by making it mostly about finding a good deal on the AH rather than about punching skeletons, and the second-by-second gameplay of punching skeletons was probably the thing vanilla D3 most had going for it. Once they jettisoned the trading economy and the AH (and to an extent the arena), they found a different metagame design that placed more emphasis on punching skeletons, and the game is dramatically better for it.

(FFXIV probably still holds the prize for "game developer taking drastic action to fix bad game", but D3 is up there.)

I would think the RMAH is still the root problem though because it was pretty evident the game was filtering you into using it in order to progress, basically in the same way that bad gacha phone games throw up brick walls that can only be circumvented if you spend hours upon hours grinding through it or by paying them :10bux:. There's a pretty good argument that it was the intent from the start.

http://www.sullla.com/D3/unsatisfying.html

In retrospect the system was set up perfectly so that normal / nightmare were fairly easy for casual people (so they would get their money's worth) while hell / inferno were set up pretty well for the whales.

Feldegast42 fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jun 21, 2018

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

Worst I've spent on a (sorta) mobile game (Hearthstone) was a few hundred bucks, but luckily that experience inoculated me from that bullshit.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

The deal with free to play games are that they absolutely let you see all the content eventually, its just the grinding you have to do to see that content can be years upon years.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

Wheeee posted:

it looks fine, it's a muddy beach with overcast lighting and twitter video compression rips all the fidelity out of it

diablo 4 looks better than diablo 3, sorry

Isn't muddy beach with overcast lighting exactly how Path of Exile starts

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

The design where all classes can fight but all have different support skills they can bring to the party is still a good one imho. In D2 necro brought curses, pallies brought auras, barbs brought shouts, etc.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

I've always played D2 with my end goal of clearing hell single player, so I don't end up doing much grinding or meph / baal runs unless I'm way undergeared going into hell.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

Probably, from what I understand they were already infamous for this poo poo across the ocean

So Blizzard themselves probably didn't bring too many suggestions on how to horribly monetize the game, but in the end they still signed off on it so gently caress them anyways

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

I'm leaving the last two spots on that altar empty, because gently caress farming up that staff. I paid my dues in vanilla D3 to grind up that thing, and I don't care to do it again

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

I was doing around 3 minute GR 90s and that worked for me. Anything faster seems to come down to luck with the map.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

yeah the season journey and set dungeons haven't been redone since they were introduced, which is why GR 70 is still the top end rift you have to complete for some reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

I guess the season cycle will account for some of that but whatever build is strong / weak now will probably be strong / weak from now on