Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

xiansi posted:

I guess this?

https://www.icy-veins.com/d3/crusader-akkhan-condemn-build-patch-2-6-1-season-12

Looks like fun - you can't go far wrong with "build up a massive explosion"!

Have most of the stuff, and a Furnace just dropped for me (remember when that was amazing?), so it's worth a go before I abandon Crusader.

Of course I am lacking a Blade of Prophecy, so I expect trying for that will now deliver me an endless stream of Faithful Memory swords that it took so long to get one of...
~ish, yeah. It's a lot of fun, highly recommend.

- I would generally recommend using the Furnace in your hand over the Blade of Prophecy, because BoP has a much higher variation on its legendary property (though if you find a good one, it doesn't matter overmuch). I think I've found more Furnaces than Blades this season anyhow.
- Aquila in the cube is questionable because it can be difficult to keep up, even with Long Arm of the Law and Unstoppable Force. I use Leoric's, especially early, so that you have an easier time hitting perma-Akarat.
- Two Unity rings is a giant pain. I haven't found even one yet, so I run a Justice Lantern in the cube with Hold Your Ground over LAotL. It's good enough for TXIII, though for higher stuff you'll definitely be squishier. If you don't have F&R yet, something I did for a while was Justice Lantern and Convention of Elements equipped, Obsidian Ring of the Zodiac cubed. It's a bit odd, but actually works pretty well while you're working on your CDR.
- Diamonds in your chest and pants help a ton, Finery basically makes up the difference.
- IMO, use Condemn/Unleashed for everything except pushing. You'll probably be one-shotting most stuff anyway, and the instant explosion is just so satisfying. Also means you can wear Nemesis instead of Strongarm, which is nice for DBs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

bamhand posted:

I'm up to GR 89 with SWK and yeah you do a ridiculous amount of damage but you die if someone even looks your way.
I think this is just... sort of what happens, now. Overall, damage got boosted waaaaaaaaay more than toughness, so your ability to do things is basically predicated on your ability to survive.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

Vakal posted:

What did they change that made condemn not suck against single target's like rift bosses?
It's still not a particularly great single-target spec, but the damage buffs carry you through low RGs and Stricken carries you through higher ones (albeit slowly). And its trash damage is significant enough that you have the time to stack Stricken.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

Work Friend Keven posted:

You can use disintegrate or ray of frost with meteor builds if you want to its just a little sub optimal and can gently caress with your meteor type.
The Tal's meteor-channel build uses Ray of Frost as its primary channel, AFAIK, because Cold Blood plus Power of the Storm gets you a really cheap channel.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

Beach Bum posted:

Now that I'm progressing to mid-range rifts I'm popping my Akarats Prophet more often. I have a question I'd rather not figure out the hard way: Do I still retain the Armor buff after the Prophet heals me to full when I take fatal damage and the little cheat death cooldown icon pops up?
You do, yes.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
Part of it is that it's super tanky. You have the Nat's DR AND the Zoey DR whereas normal Marauder will only have the one. As well, basically all of the damage is coming from the sentries, so that means you can hide a screen away and plink at walls and kill things just fine.

The other part is that, yeah, M4 and N6 multiply together in a pretty silly manner. Pure M6 basically needs to be using the grenade belt as well to actually top out on damage.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
Another weapon option is the Eun-Jang-Do dagger, though its ability to perma-CC a Rift Guardian is sadly gone. It's also faster than a sword for Wyrdward if you roll its damage to lightning.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

1. Give him Thunderfury: Thewordswordswords
That's [Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker] you heathen!

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
The math is pretty simple: (2594.9 * 3.72) / (2084 * 4.07) = 1.138

All other things being equal, the ancient weapon is ~14% stronger based on just the DPS and legendary power. Of course, that's probably slightly higher in reality because it has more int and you're more likely to gift it (and so have a 10% damage roll on top).

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Once you've got a couple hundred paragons you should be augmenting items cuz they give you a massive boost in power and survivability.
Augmenting at "a couple hundred paragons"? Are you nuts?

I don't think I had enough gems to make flawless royals for all of my regular gem slots, let alone my entire endgame set completed and ancient with a ton of worthwhile legendary gems and extra regulars to munch by that point. Augments are very much the last thing you should be doing, progression-wise.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Augments are one of the single biggest, quickest boosts to your strength. At the slow rate you get useable ancients you should be able to start augmenting early on. +350 mainstat is a huge deal. If you care about progression you should be running as many GRs as possible asap.

You know you can convert stacks of gems, right? It's not even expensive, like 500k gold to convert any 9 gems.
I'm aware, yes. It still took me a pretty long time to get my seven flawless royals for my gear.

And... I mean, I guess if you assume everyone is grinding their faces off on GRs in a 4-man group, then sure, "augment as soon as possible!" is good advice. It's pretty bad advice without that caveat, though, because rofl at having several level 70 gems that early in a season otherwise.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
So far, my main takeaway from the season is that Thunder Crash is way cooler than Meteor Shower. I am an impatient wizard on the go and I want my damage NOW, not two seconds from now!

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

Jan posted:

lol if you're manually casting your meteors.

Meteors are supposed to be a happy side effect of generally channeling in the direction of enemies. :colbert:
Well sure, but they're still awfully slow about it. I'm still gearing up and don't have the full set, so why would I wait to paste things when I could instead not wait? It's madness, I tell you!

(And also if you're not regularly proc'ing Illusionist, you'll need to hardcast meteors to keep your Tal 4-stack up.)

bio347 fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Feb 28, 2018

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

The problem with CoE isn't that it's numerically bad, it's that for true pushing situations it's lame to have to wait for a loving timer to rotate and display a stupid hard to see icon in order to be able to poo poo out enough damage to handle enemy HP scaling, while hiding during the other elemental rotations.

It gets old.
A "true pushing situation" is so far out of the realm of normality nowadays, though. Like, the GR75 for Divinity certainly isn't it, and that's as high as you need to go for Guardian.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
Tal Meteors is cool and good. It's also surprisingly functional at a decent level while still missing a bunch of pieces. I was doing just fine in TX without two multipliers for both offense and defense (Deathwish/Grand Vizier, Unities/Karini) and TXIII was totally comfortable even without DW/Karini.

I think the best part is that once you've got the whole gang together, Galvanizing Ward makes you basically invulnerable in Guardian-range content without having to press a single button. Compared to playing Condemn last season, where missing the Akarat reactivation at the wrong time meant death, it's very, very nice. I haven't actually seen my health globe move in days!

Also, playing double lasers with Thunder Crash is amazing and the most minor of losses until you're fighting in density of enemies that don't die in one or two shots.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
Deathwish was the last item I got, at around P570 or so. I was using an ancient In-Geom I had found until then, and tbh the no-cooldown teleport worked pretty decently. It's the one thing I miss from the last time I played wizard, which was Manald Heal Electrocute.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
Quick reminder, Kanai's Skorn is now available if you haven't gotten it yet.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
A brand new player isn't going to get to 70 at veteran speed, and frankly I think you're doing them a disservice to suggest it. There's something to be said for just playing and exploring the game on your own terms for the first time.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
To the first question, not really, no. There's no, like, target dummy or anything of that nature. Basically the only way to go is to keep upping the difficulty (or GR level) until you're either dying too much or killing too slowly to be satisfying.

For the second, I think every class has some sort of gottagofast build, but just in general while leveling the monk is probably the quickest.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
The necro is pretty cool and stylish, but its most powerful endgame specs are a huge drag to either play or gear.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
The problem with LoN for me is that it takes longer to gear a spec than I have attention span for season-doings. Lately, I really enjoy playing a new season, finishing the journey, and putting in, y'know, 25-40ish hours (total) fully assembling whatever build I set out to play that go 'round. I don't think I've even come close to accidentally completing a worthwhile LoN set during any of these recent seasons.

Grandeur was really cool because everyone could pretty much immediately benefit from it. Nightmares is very much the opposite. The only people who will benefit really at all from it are those who are going to sink large amounts of playtime into the game.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

Zarin posted:

Statistically, you'll find one within the first 10 leggos that drop (give or take).
Statistics don't work that way. The probability of having gotten an ancient in your first 10 legendaries is only about 65%.

If you're reasonably competent and reasonably lucky, you're going to complete your Haedrig's before finding more than a couple ancients. Maybe you get a free GR20, if you've got a set with all of its damage in its 6pc, but LoN doesn't outrank even the weakest 6pc damage bonuses until like four ancients deep, to say nothing of its defensive component scaling rather slowly.

Some classes benefit more than others, sure, but I dunno. I just don't find it compelling.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

Zarin posted:

I guess I'll pay more attention this time around!
As will I! It's been a bit, after all, it's entirely possible that my memory is just poor.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
Man, I am so ready for it to be Diablo Time again. Is it tomorrow yet?

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Why actually have Blood Nova equipped? If you are procc'ing from siphon not sure why it's needed, unless I'm missing something.

e: confused about eternal torment as well
It gets explained on the skills page. That build is running Simulacrum for burst, and the Simulacrum duders won't cast Blood Nova unless it's on your bar.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Ah, that would be me. Right now Wave of Light is ok, but super-expensive to cast. I guess I haven't unlocked the really good Wave of Light runes yet. At this moment, Exploding Palm clears out an entire group all at once (that is, if I can figure out which one is affected and properly target to kill them first). It probably seems really good because the rest of my killing power is not so good.

I'm leveling faster than upgrades to equipment is dropping, which probably is one reason my kill efficiency is all over the place.
Yeah, leveling is basically a completely different game than endgame.

The most popular (I think?) monk build is the Wave of Light build, and what makes "builds" in endgame D3 is the legendary items you wear that buff specific powers (on top of the sets that give more generic power boosts). For WoL, specifically, there are four supporting items and in total they offer about a 140x multiplier on WoL's damage (if I've done my math right). Not only is there not similar support for EP, but if there was you couldn't wear all of it at once. That means that EP's damage will pretty much never live up to WoL's and so the skill slot would be put to better use with something that instead supports WoL (or survivability) in some manner.

But until you get there, use whatever makes you happy.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
If you don't care about GR pushing, the necromancer is pretty cool this season. LoN Iron Rose build is chill and fun and totally capable of doing well more than Guardian requires.

I've decided to build a "Team Fortress" Demon Hunter. The Helltrapper Hand Crossbow says it can only be found in Act 4/5 Horadric Caches. Does that mean it can't be gambled for at Kadala?
Correct. And, specifically, you'll want to farm A5 caches. The A4 ones can drop anything from all of the other acts, so your odds of getting what you want for time spent are much, much worse.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

Kheldarn posted:

What's the magic number on Cooldown for perma-Wrath Of The Berserker?
If you're after perma-WotB, the answer is "none" for 4pc IK and "not possible without ORotZ" for anything else. Non-IK builds just don't build for it, AFAIK.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

I haven't found that belt yet. I don't know what off-hand boosts which Arcane orb that you are taking about, if it's not Etched Sigil (which I do have) EDIT: I don't have Trumvirate either. I do have the shoulders though. I guess I could try Ray of Frost, see if that helps any. I'm definitely at a point where I need gear to proceed.
To me, D3 progression has this weird second act where you need specific gear to really move up in the world, but your means of acquiring specific gear are all pretty slow. You're in mid-Torments so you don't get a ton of natural legendary drops, and you also don't get a ton of DBs to make forcing one via upgrades happen particularly quickly. There's not really anything you can do but to keep at it. Eventually you'll get something powerful, even if it's not what you're looking for, and you'll dig yourself out of that hole.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

objectively bad posted:

I am going to try and assemble a 5% crit chance broken promises lon blessed shield. I can't count so I haven't done the math but between:

- blessed shield doing upwards of 20 hits a second with shield bounces.
- coe cycle time
- having to time akarats for end of phys to get 2x fire cycles
- being unable to time indestructible proc for fire cycle
- using upwards of 6 stat slots for crit hit chance on gear

I believe this is a good idea. I have to replace some pretty good gear with augments, but on an initial test run it didn't seem entirely a terrible idea.
The problem with Broken Promises is that it has an ICD, so its uptime is way less than you think it'll be. IIRC it maths out to pretty much never being a damage increase, but is also not usually a huge loss and the toughness/CDR benefits you get from eliminating crit stats on all of your gear can make it reasonable to play at mid levels.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
Easy math says 1*3 = 3 and 1.22*2.69 = 3.28. So assuming you're rolling disc to be the same, the ancient is better, yes.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
I've been fooling around with the Grim Scythe/Leger's Disdain build lately. Won't make any leaderboard runs with it, but it's a good bit of fun. It's a bit more active than the Death Nova build, and the smaller range for trash can be annoying, but it makes up for the slightly slower clears by not sitting around on the RG for three minutes.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
For me, the problem with MS and bells is that they're boring in their efficiency. I want to play other things, because holding right click, dashing, and occasionally tapping your cooldown gets really dull, but it's also frustrating to play something more involved that struggles more to do the same difficulty... and also does it slower.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

Divine Blob posted:

I'm super new, and can anyone describe classes in a few sentences? I tried monk it felt really lack luster, and then I tried wizard and it wasn't bad? but kinda boring.

I wanna try something new for the next season any suggestions?

Let's see.

- Barbarian: Lots of smashing and zooming around. Physics effects are fun, and WW is the chillest of farming builds.
- Crusader: Oddly, most builds revolve around attacking really quickly, hammers and sweep are a bit fiddly. I, personally, enjoy Condemn for its explosions.
- Demon Hunter: Has some decent playstyle variety. Single-target assassin, "pet" build with sentires, spray-and-pray multishot, rapidfire channel probably still works with the new gem?.
- Monk: Mostly punches things. The bells build does not punch things and instead just explodes whole screens, but I find it quite dull to play.
- Necromancer: Amazing style, most fun to level (Corpse Explosion is the bestest)... endgame builds are almost universally trash to play.
- Witch Doctor: Pet builds, channeling builds, and a unique DoT-and-explode build in Jade. I find WDs very hard to play because their attacks almost universally lack visual impact.
- Wizard: Playstyles tend to involve more setup. Exceptionally flashy. Tal channel meteors is up there on my list of favourite builds.

Based on the seasonal sets, DHs and barbs have the easiest launching point - Marauder and Raekor both have damage boosts with their 2pc or 4pc. Crusaders and monks get the most versatile sets, in Akkhan and Inna, though Akkhan in particular can be irritating to get going due to CDR requirements (might be a tad easier with Captain Crimson this season?). I don't have much to say about DMO or Zuni, and don't play a necromancer imo.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
WoF is already on DMO, so I can't see them making another set specifically for it. Some support items for it would be really cool, though.

My crazy-rear end wizard idea is something like...

- Familiar summons all five familiars at once.
- Magic Missile casts all five runes at once and does more damage. (Or maybe, like, two or three random ones if 26 projectiles per click with Mirrorball is too many. :v:)
- Hydra consumes all of your AP for a damage boost, and you take less damage while a Hydra is out.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
The Crusader set will be interesting to see, I think. The only really completely unutilized skills the class has are FoH and Phalanx (and I guess some of the generators), but all you'd have to do to make those work is buff their supporting items so that they'll play with Akkhan's.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

bamhand posted:

Most of the builds wouldn't benefit from RoRG as much as a gem though. Like that's often 50% more damage. Even squeezing in Captain Crimson's means you probably just break even or have a small edge over not having RoRG and having 3 gems.

Like I'm really curious if there's some build that season that really saw a huge benefit. Inna's maybe? And I still wouldn't call what Inna's received a huge buff.
The thing about Captain Crimson, in particular, is that you DO just get more than a single ring would give you. Yes, the classes that want to use it may only be breaking even on damage (on average - the RoRG is often replacing a CoE), but you also get a bunch of free CDR, RCR, and regen plus the damage reduction from RCR (which is, what, 27% or so from paragon+set bonus even if you don't have any anywhere else?). And heck, for most people even a bit less damage will be acceptable when you get that free defense and QoL (free stats + not worrying about CoE cycles) because they're not pushing the bleeding edge and it just makes things more chill to play.

Of course, in the original Season of Grandeur we didn't have the updated CC and Aughild's, or Stone Gauntlets, or the new jewelry, so most builds weren't getting huuuuuuge gains from it. Just QoL because slamming a free Leoric's or Aquilla or whatever into an existing build is... y'know, nice.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
A CoE or minor non-set boost can be pretty nice, though. Not gamebreaking, just a nice QoL thing, and people like nice QoL things.

And TBH, if the RoRG was a gem I could see it being pretty useful. Not necessarily optimal, of course, but I would totally use something like that in more trivial content - like, any build that uses Stricken doing any level of content that doesn't require Stricken. The free CoE you get with a RoRG gem is, in fact, stronger than the Powerful you're probably subbing over Stricken.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
The weird thing for me about a D2 remaster is that a lot of the D2 I remember playing was the result of botting and duping.

Like, runewords are maybe a kinda neat concept... but any of them that contains a rune higher than what drops off of Hell Hellforge is functionally impossible for the average person without cheating happening somewhere. And even Hell Forge runes are a bit iffy because getting to A4 Hell isn't particularly trivial in the face of, like, not-having-a-friend-with-a-geared-Hammerdin. Getting the useful mid-tier things to wear that a build guide would find acceptable is a pretty tall order without a PGem/socketed item/whatever economy backed by tons and tons of botted gear. That sort of thing.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

Khorne posted:

They solved this already a few years ago. High runes are way more common now. And if you play on private servers that have the nodrop chance turned off (similar to 7p/8p games but without the difficulty spike) they're real common. Common like people build enigma and find a few more high runes long before the weekend is over after a reset without bots.
I mean... it's "solved", yes, in that if they turn up the drop rates a fuckton then it makes the things drop at a rate that may approach useful. And they would have to, because D2's drop scheme is absolute trash garbage by any reasonable modern standards.

On the other hand, #nochanges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
Looks a lot like D3's very early stuff did, imo, which is actually slightly disappointing? WTB colour saturation.