Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
First impressions on the necro by somebody who just started playing and hasn't seen endgame content yet, so take w/ grain of salt: It's going to need an awful lot of work to make it fun, unfortunately.

The good:
- voice acting seems fairly good most of the time (haven't tried the female version yet)
- stylistically the necro looks good, i think they nailed the aesthetics
- some of the skills feel really satisfying to use (i really like corpse explosion, the bone spirit is fun, the obligatory movement skill is cool etc.)
- some of the skills do a ridiculous amount of damage, and successful builds will probably exist centered around them

The bad:
- summoning skills are kind of a shitshow. Skeletons don't do enough damage to be worth it by themselves, golems seem kind of useless outside of maybe some weird builds, and...
- ... why the hell are all my passives so poo poo? I kind of expected at least some of the "make summoned poo poo better" passives like the WD has. The only one is "summoned units last 25% longer", which does gently caress-all when your skeleton mages only last 6 seconds by default
- skeleton mages and revives last only a few seconds, so minion playstyle gets spammy as poo poo
- here's a big one! you ready? We have an entire tree dedicated to curses, and none of them is Amplify Damage lmao. I thought there would be runes that do that, in order to buff up the pet builds, but nope!
- Generators do gently caress-all for damage as well, compared to the other classes
- skills are all over the place. it feels like design by committee, like four different teams had four different playstyles each in mind and tried to give you skills to enable all of them. the result is that none of the playstyles is especially well supported.

The ugly:
Skeletons and corpses look bad imo, especially the corpses

I'm going to keep playing this for a while and see if maybe I'm just missing something vital, but right now it feels like the class might become fun a couple patches down the road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
Why is everything so needlessly difficult? Why does the necro not get resource regen by default? Even picking the Templar doesn't fix that since his skill just gives a percentage increase for some reason.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Larrymer posted:

Bets on if necro stuff is actually overhauled or just very minorly tweaked? I'm in the latter camp. :v:

Man I hope you're wrong. I want my zoo.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
I dislike Barbarians too, by far my least favorite class.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Floppychop posted:

What's going to be the least painful for a player's first season. Witch Hunter or wizard?

Currently my only two lvl70 characters are a crusader and Demon Hunter. So I'm taking the season as an opportunity to level up someone new.

witch doctor is the best class and the most fun, so do that

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm still not sure if I actually want to play necro this season. It's fun to play with new toys but I'm really disappointed with the way the class feels at the same time.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
oh my god something happened and now the game insists on auto-playing the loving monster descriptions every time i kill a new enemy and it's so loving baaaad hngggg

somebody please tell me how to turn that poo poo off before i break something

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

George posted:

Turn the volume for voices to zero.

that's smart and I hadn't thought of that. but I'm reasonably sure there used to be an option for the descriptions, right? am I misremembering something?

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Dross posted:

By which you mean they aren't permanent? Because they are definitely considered minions.

so hydra mage is now a pet class?

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Nuebot posted:

I don't know how to close a rift beyond finishing it.

hahaha <3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

The Wonder Weapon posted:

I realized it's been awhile since I dropped by and told Jay Wilson to gently caress himself for ruining Diablo and being an rear end in a top hat. Apparently he finally got fed up with me doing it every six months.

yeah you're definitely a completely normal person