Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Corpse Explosion is cool, I guess that's what I'll use once the new season starts.

I just looked at my old non-season stash loaded with gear from 2 years ago and I now have an anxiety disorder.

Is there any reason to keep playing before Season 11 starts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

botany posted:

- summoning skills are kind of a shitshow. Skeletons don't do enough damage to be worth it by themselves, golems seem kind of useless outside of maybe some weird builds, and...

I don't know, mine were really tearing it up in Catacombs, and they made short work of Andariel. They seam to lose steam in Act II, especially the Maggot Lai.......oh wait a minute.....

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Serious question because I haven't played since RoS first came out:

Are the highest levels of play still only accessible to a very particular set of gear and skill loadout for each class? I hadn't played around with the cube, but I thought that was suppose to open up a lot more options.

I tend to enjoy the non-cookie cutter loadouts and hate being forced into something.

For example: I rocked a Summoner Druid in Diablo II and was poo poo on incessantly for not being able to clear Hell as quickly. But then I could just leave Boris (the bear) on the waypoint when a level 94 Amazon came to PK all of us. The Amazon would get one-shot - I would get a bunch of gold and an ear and everyone would laugh and praise my bear. This was the most memorable moment of my high school years.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

mewse posted:

Short answer yes but long answer is that it depends what you consider the "highest levels of play". The only area of the game that is uncapped in difficulty are greater rifts, and if you want to compete on the leaderboards you will be using a cookie-cutter build.

But aside from GRs, torment 13 is the highest difficulty and offers a lot of flexibility in how you want to set up your character. Many people will take one of the GR clearing builds and replace a few pieces for a "speed" build, there are many speed builds are completely different than GR builds, you can ignore all that and just play what you want.

I have no interest for the leaderboards with no rewards - I just want to curbstomp demons for a while and find shiny objects.

I also like the Campaign mode. This is probably wrong of me.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

exquisite tea posted:

stuff you shouldn't have been doing in D2 (skeletons, golem).

Back in my day, SkeleMancers were universally reviled for their ability to make the D2 server you were on slow to a crawl.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
What's the start date on Season 11?

I even read the OP before making this post!

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
I never warmed up to skele mages, but I got 70 and found some decent gear which summons 2 at once. Combined with the life support rune and the + time passive, they last for a respectable duration. Those guys dish out some pain when you have 10 out. I jumped from T1 to T4 no problem.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
I spent an inordinate amount of materials trying to roll the shield for Jesseth's but then I realized it was a shield and not a phylactery.

:negative:

Whelp, at least this is my non-seasonal stuff.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Are there any viable non-set ancient legendary builds for Necro? I poked around a bit looking at the legendaries which benefit him - but it seems like the sets do everything better.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
How are the blood / bone spear builds? I got the pet-sets done on non-seasonal and it's OK. I hate resummoning mages every few seconds. I was happier with it until I tried my thornsader again and then I remembered that thornsader was way more fun.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Thread posted:

zdps

Thanks for defining this a few pages back -I thought this was an inside joke making fun of a German streamer or something.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
This challenge rift has shown me just how terrible some people are at building their characters. 350k HP in a GR 50+. :psypop:

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
I picked this up again for shits + grins this weekend. Played an old Necro I had and turned her into a LoN corpse god and it's quite fun. Went from Level 45 to GR 45ish in a few hours.

What the most efficient way to farm for particular Ancient Legendary items? Re-rolling the item in the cube or upgrading the right rare with fingers crossed? I ask because the re-roll is so heavy on materials cost.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
What's the buff for LoN? (can't access at work)

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

mewse posted:

Legacy of Nightmares
The (2) Set bonus has been increased from 100% to 500%

That.... that will do nicely.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
This is the LoN corpse god necro build I use:

https://www.diablofans.com/builds/91190-lon-corpse-god-necromancer

It probably isn't nearly as optimal as the high level GR pushing builds, but detonating corpses this often and this fast is tons of fun. I feel tanky as hell too with all the damage reduction. Look forward to trying it out with the new buffs.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
So I made a Barbarian for this season hoping to do a LoN / Frenzy type build. I did the seasonal quest just so I could have the IK set to farm the stuff I wanted to farm in higher Torment levels.

Now I have the full set and am doing ludicrous amounts of damage while maintaining WoB at near 100% uptime as my ancients bulldoze everything instantly. Why would I do anything but this?

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
My biggest issue right now is that when I pop WoB I cannot get to the mob before it dies to build fury such that I can dump it to lower the WoB cooldown. That, and I've outpaced my toughness dramatically and am quite squishy at the Torment levels I can clear.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Vomik posted:

You can hammer the ground to reset WOB

I have no problems dumping, it's getting the fury in the first place. I've taken to using weapon throw just so I can get a hit or two before the screen is obliterated.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Kaustik posted:

https://us.diablo3.com/en/class/barbarian/active/hammer-of-the-ancients

HotA costs 20 fury per attack.

https://us.diablo3.com/en/item/the-gavel-of-judgment-P61_Unique_Mighty_2H_001

Refunds 25 fury per attack on 0 to 3 enemies. Ground attacking nothing with HotA should always profit fury.

https://us.diablo3.com/en/item/fury-of-the-ancients-P3_Unique_Shoulder_102

This shoulder gives the Ancient's Fury rune which makes them gain 4 fury every time they deal damage. (You can slot this but lose the 50% Damage Reduction rune.)

You should have 100% Fury at all times in combat with the above alone. Charge and Warcry should be more than enough to get the pain-train going.

My group always makes fun of my pre-Rift Guardian temper tantrums as I spam ground attacks to build cooldown and regenerate HP from Life per Fury Spent.

Thanks, I just hit 70 a couple days ago so I have none of these. I'm managing decently enough so far with some tweaks to my skills / passives.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
I've converted my Barbarian to WW and it's the laziest and best thing. Cleared GR 70 for the first time on any character and now can work to farm the fun and stupid LoN builds I want to try.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Having a lot of fun this season, especially with the LoN stuff.

I got nearly perfect gear on a LoN energy twister / Arcane Wizard and now I'm ruined forever on everything else. I hold down disintegrate and massive tornadoes fly out of the laser beam, suck everything in and crit for 1.8 trillion per tick while I stand there with 700m toughness plus shields.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

bamhand posted:

Can't you also do this with DMO?

You definitely could - the keys to make it work are the energy twister bracers (I forget the name), then deathwish / etched sigil / twisted sabre. The belt which reduces RoF / disintegrate cost is needed as well.

Stack arcane damage then you hold down disintegrate. The tornadoes spawn and coaelsce into the larger ones, the first one will suck everything into it that's even remotely nearby.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Bust Rodd posted:

unless your rubric involves werebears

If this isn't automatically part of your standard then I pity the life you've led.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Is broken promises viable to build around?

I was thinking of making a necro which focuses on IAS, crit damage, and intentionally forgoing crit chance. The idea would be to use the buffed iron rose to proc blood nova a stupid amount of times - guaranteeing a chain of 5 non-crits (thanks to my lovely crit chance) very quickly.

I'm reading different things about Funerary pick as well, will this proc the Iron Rose blood nova twice as much? I'm thinking it does NOT, in which case I might go for Trag'Oul's corroded fang, (that ring which sucks enemies in when they're cursed) and (that other ring for damage vs. CC'ed enemies), combined with aura of frailty.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
This one worked really well last season, I didn't even get all Ancient pieces but I was ripping through stuff no problem:

https://www.diablofans.com/builds/91190-lon-corpse-god-necromancer

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
So I played around with my old season 16 necro and converted to a Bloodsplosion Necro with Bloodtide Blade, Trag'oul's corroded fang, and Iron rose.

I actually took OFF LoN so I could test the effectiveness of different ring setups. So this is all straight up legendary text interaction with no set benefits.

Basically the idea is to run around with aura of frailty, the mobs get sucked in thanks to Brigg’s Wrath and take additional damage from Strongarm bracers. In addition, you get the 100% benefit from Trag'oul's blade. They'll also be slowed from BotT (R25) aura which procs both BotT benefits and Krysbin's Sentence. You click on the closest big mob and waves of blood wash over them. If it's timed right, the mobs who are getting knockback from the curse will suffer the 300% of Krysbin's.

I was managing to clear T10-T11 pretty easily and this is with only low rank gems in the jewelry and no LoN bonuses.

I thought this was pretty impressive and I'm looking forward to trying it out.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Incoherence posted:

Yeah, I was looking at this guide for LoN Blood Nova; Inarius is the starting set so you can kinda build into it from there.

Why actually have Blood Nova equipped? If you are procc'ing from siphon not sure why it's needed, unless I'm missing something.

e: confused about eternal torment as well

Tinfoil Papercut fucked around with this message at 00:19 on May 18, 2019

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Dameius posted:

This is the only correct gem order based on over 1k hours played on Barbarians and even though I'm almost exclusively dex classes now, I can't kick the habit. Don't @ me.

Sorry, it's "ROY G BIV" not whatever heresy that is.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
My first level 70 gamble was an ancient aquilla. Season good.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

MariusLecter posted:

So far really digging the LoN Blood Nova play for Necromancer.

:same:

I made a few tweaks for personal preference. I didn't like Scythe of the Cycle and opted for Trag'oul's fang because I felt it was more reliable and better on bosses, when my Bone Armor depleted instantly.

Also the Simularcrum WILL cast Nova when it's not on your bar - but they won't cast blood nova, only the unruned version. With this in mind, I opted to get golemskin breeches and use bone golem for the knockback and stun (to proc Krysbin's triple more reliably as well). I don't think you lose much on the CoE rotation as poison comes up right after physical and the Simulacrum get that bonus.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
I leveled a Wizard to try and make a build around manald heal's proc. This is from the Diablo wiki:

quote:

Because Paralysis works on a 'per cast' basis not 'per hit', a single proc of Paralysis can trigger Manald Heal's damage multiple times. Examples of skills which can do this include any skill that deals damage multiple times from 1 cast, such as Arcane Torrent (when using the static discharge rune) or Archon 's Disintegration Wave (when dealing lightning damage).

I'm confused as to what that functionally means. Don't I need to hit them with lightning for paralysis to proc? It would seem to me that manald heal's proc is married to paralysis so I don't understand how manald heal can proc twice as it states above.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

It says any spell which does damage twice with one cast. Arcane Torrent(Static Discharge) has the initial projectile's damage done as lightning, so it hits as lightning, and on it, the projectile releases charged bolts which also deal lightning. One cast, two lightning damage sources, two chances to hit. Same probably goes for Arcane Orb(Shock Orb) which zaps enemies with lightning then hits with lightning as it lands.

My last-season wizard was kinda going for that build, but I didn't get a Manald Heal. It was still pretty effective thanks to other items, though.

I get that - my intent was to just to poo poo out as much lightning on the screen as I could to up my chances of paralysis.

The part which confuses me is: "a single proc of Paralysis can trigger Manald Heal's damage multiple times." It could be they flubbed and meant to say: "A Single spell cast can trigger Manald Heal's damage multiple times"

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
I'm pleased to announce my manald heal based wizard is doing great right now, working my way through T13 to upgrade legendaries. Using Paralysis and Wyrdward to stun everything forever.

Oh, and I haven't found Manald Heal yet. :getin:

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Kaustik posted:

You could always level an alt Wizard to 27 and use them to gamble for it.

https://www.d3planner.com/game/58979/kadala

Explanation for anyone curious: Some Legendaries can appear before level 70 and if you are at exactly their minimum "item level" you can reduce the possible outcomes for gambling. In this case a level 27 Wizard only has 2 possible legendary rings, massively reducing the average cost to pull it.

You are a good person

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Tyrael died and Lilith is protecting humanity from Imperius who has seized control of the Angiris council and now has the votes needed to purge Sanctuary. Lilith dies to save us in the end (like Jesus), and a wounded/defeated Imperius is possessed by Mephisto because of his internal hatred of humans setting up the expansion: Lord of Hatred.

Book it.