Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orc Priest
Jun 9, 2021
Some art stuff

https://news.blizzard.com/en-us/diablo4/23665024/diablo-iv-quarterly-update-june-2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orc Priest
Jun 9, 2021
Polygon got a hold of an extra screenshot (of a Rogue):

The customization in this game is going to be pretty awesome.

Orc Priest
Jun 9, 2021
PC here as well. D2 on a controller doesn't sound very appealing.

External Organs posted:

The endgame of D2 is completely terrible. I'd be interested if they did a serious content patch but I doubt it. If there's a demo I'll try it. Xbox most likely.

Yeah. I pre-ordered D2R cause the graphics are awesome and I want to go through the campaign with all of the classes again, but I have no intention of playing the game past that.

Orc Priest
Jun 9, 2021

WarMECH posted:

Seems like Ethereals are Blizzard's way of testing their plan for Legendaries in D4: rare, powerful items that have extra stats and random skills/abilities that prompt the player to create a build around them instead of collecting the flavor of the month Set items like current D3.

Yeah I'm very happy D4 is going with this kind of itemization instead of Sets. D4 is going to have both Legendaries and Uniques. Should be fun.

Orc Priest
Jun 9, 2021
That makes no sense. Do you think this has never been tried in other ARPGs or something? lol. Early D3 was a mess because the people in charge had no clue what they were doing. Not because this kind of itemization "does not work".

Orc Priest
Jun 9, 2021
Ethereal items have been very well received so I think they're doing ok

Orc Priest
Jun 9, 2021
One thing I like about D3 is how the game is about finding everything yourself. I hope they keep that for D4 and don't make it harder to find stuff just to push trading/auction house.

Orc Priest
Jun 9, 2021

Both the lead designer AND the director. Wew that's not good.

Orc Priest
Jun 9, 2021
They may as well rehire David Brevik and get him on board. I miss Marvel Heroes.

Orc Priest
Jun 9, 2021
I am loving D2R with a controller!! great graphics and the game feels so natural playing with a controller. great job by vicarious visions

Orc Priest
Jun 9, 2021
I've never really reached the "end game" in D2 of top tier runewords and whatnot, but I had more fun with those 2 acts of the D2R beta than pretty much anything D3 has done in the last 9 years. D2R reminded me of why I loved that game so much back in the day. The character progression and the campaign are extremely satisfying. D3 is just insanely boring and often feels like you're playing a mindless arcadey shooter. I'm (was?) looking forward to D4 in the hopes that it has some of that D2 sense of RPG progression and great campaign. But with the project losing its top two people I don't have much faith in it atm.

I feel like D3 tried to do what Marvel Heroes did, but failed at it on every level. Marvel Heroes was an arcadey ARPG with the most fun characters/skills in the genre. D3 tried to attempt the same but all of the classes in that game are generic as hell and so is the itemization. That's why it fell so flat.

Orc Priest
Jun 9, 2021

Good Dog posted:

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/d3/t/diablo-ii-resurrected-ladder-patch-update/41016

Ladder only runewords/items, dclone, pandemonium event are going to be available to non-ladder and offline players in D2R.

A community manager also says in a reddit thread that you can kill the Cow King without it locking you out from making new cow levels.

I don't know if I'll ever see those ladder only runewords drop but it's cool that they're making this all available for non-ladder and offline as that is what I prefer to play.

Orc Priest
Jun 9, 2021
edit- drat it wrong thread

Orc Priest
Jun 9, 2021
I'm surprised they're still pushing out these seasons with new stuff. There's probably like 1 dev and 1 CM left working on D3.

Orc Priest
Jun 9, 2021
Diablo IV new update is out

https://news.blizzard.com/en-us/diablo4/23746639/diablo-iv-quarterly-update-december-2021

some cool stuff on there... I specially like the new paragon system. game still feels 2 years away but whatever I like what i'm seeing.

edit: this game is pretty

new gameplay vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaVfH4nS9WY

Orc Priest fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Dec 20, 2021

Orc Priest
Jun 9, 2021

Field Mousepad posted:

Not sure what that class is at two minutes but it looks dope.

That's the Rogue and yep... it looks badass. I can't wait to play her.

Orc Priest
Jun 9, 2021
Honestly it's kind of insane that activision had an internal release date of 2022 for D4.

While I love what I'm seeing from the game, it's clear that diablo 4 isn't even remotely far along in development for a 2022 release. They still have a ton of work to do. The new paragon system looks like it was conjured up about a week ago.

Orc Priest
Jun 9, 2021

External Organs posted:

Looks like a poe skill tree that opens up at level 50 tbh (this is rad in my opinion)

The paragon board looks like an extension of the base class skill tree. Actually, the appearance of stat threshold effects in this paragon system makes me wonder if they've moved those from the class skill tree over to the paragon board. This poo poo reminds me of the FF12 license board, but it's been so long since I played that game that I don't remember if it was any good. I also didn't play PoE enough to ever delve into its skill tree system.

this is from the class skill tree

and this is from paragon board

RealityWarCriminal posted:

Do not give blizzard games your money. not even two years from now.

I will buy an extra copy of D4 just for u

Orc Priest fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Dec 20, 2021

Orc Priest
Jun 9, 2021

Wheeee posted:

https://diablo4.blizzard.com/en-us/

sign up now and don’t forget to attach a credit card to your blizzard account for an increased chance at being invited!

It's only been 2.5 years since the game was announced. And one of those years their pipeline was hosed due to the advent of COVID. Diablo 3 took a full 54 years to come out after its own announcement and that was with no pandemic to hinder development. Either Blizzard has gotten way better/faster at making games since their D3 days or they are rushing this turd out the door ASAP and hope to finish it after launch. 🤔

Orc Priest fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Jun 12, 2022

Orc Priest
Jun 9, 2021

Wheeee posted:

diablo 3 was also basically a reboot of the games it came so long after diablo 2, and had to be developed from scratch

diablo 4 is going to be leveraging a lot of the work done on diablo 3 even if it is an entirely new game

also it's nowhere near ready they haven't even shown all the classes lol

It's funny because one of the very first things they said about D4 upon reveal was "It's not coming soon. Not even Blizzard soon". I guess Bobby said hell no and told them to have this poo poo ready by next year.

Actually they might have axed one of the classes:

Orc Priest fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jun 12, 2022

Orc Priest
Jun 9, 2021

Wheeee posted:

they’ll be back as a paid DLC

Diablo 3 Necromancer proved the concept, get ready for some ongoing new character DLCs on top of the battle pass and cosmetics

Cut content being sold later as DLC so they can rush the launch. This poo poo might turn into an Immortal sized shitstorm of its own lol. Well, we might know for sure today. Blizzard is supposedly going to show the game at the Xbox conference today.

Orc Priest
Jun 9, 2021
https://twitter.com/Diablo/status/1536787541478842378

This game looks like doggy dogshit in outworld areas. The player character is just one big shadow (and monsters too for that matter). This is what happens when you listen to boomer neckbeards.

Orc Priest
Jun 9, 2021

Chalks posted:

It really doesn't look great in footage like this. Shadows fighting in the land of grey mud. Hopefully higher level armours, enemies and attacks are more interesting...?

From what I've seen the game looks much, much better when playing inside dungeons since they are well lit. But I'm guessing you'll be spending a ton of time outside (where it looks horrible) because this game has an open world and you better believe they are going to make use of it

Orc Priest
Jun 9, 2021
The next step for grimdark is a black screen with sounds playing in the background.

Orc Priest
Jun 9, 2021
I think the dungeon gameplay looks great. If the open world stuff distracts from that it will be very bad.

Orc Priest
Jun 9, 2021

Big Mouth Billy Basshole posted:

I'm a little apprehensive having to do quests to get a key for a rift and then have to travel to specific dungeons. Seems like it's adding busywork to the D3 system of running rifts.

Exactly... this is what I mean by the open world stuffing getting in the way of the dungeons. If I have to waste a bunch of time running around on my mount just to get a key for a nightmare dungeon, that is going to get old very quick.

Orc Priest
Jun 9, 2021

bio347 posted:

But do they do that? The only colours that REALLY pop are blood reds. The small bits of sorc spells in that dev video look just as sad and desaturated as the rest of the game.

Seriously. The fun part is that we have D2R now to compare D4 to, and as we all know D2 is perfection. Here's a sorc spell video. Compare the meteor in that to the one in the dev video. It's night and day. Also note while you're at it that the outside parts of Act I in D2 are... actually pretty green.

You can actually see poo poo in D2R because the devs made a remake that is faithful to the real D2, and not the D2 in the imaginations of certain players. Let's hope Vicarious Visions is given the reigns to make their own Diablo game after the success of D2R.

Orc Priest
Jun 9, 2021
One thing this game was supposed to be doing that looked really interesting was the rune system. Runes words were composed of an effect rune and an activation rune. You could mix and match to make your own runeword effect. This had a massive amount of potential and I thought it was going to be the core tenet of itemization. Unfortunately they haven't said a word about runes in years so it's anybody's guess whether they are still in the game or if they've been scrapped.

Orc Priest fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jun 15, 2022

Orc Priest
Jun 9, 2021
Speaking of Crusader, if the class comes back in Diablo 4 I hope they completely rework it. D3 crusader was boring as hell. I didn't play Lost Ark for long but their Paladin was super fun.

Orc Priest
Jun 9, 2021
I'm getting hyped for Diablo 4

Orc Priest
Jun 9, 2021
I don't like PoE because the endgame is all about blowing up screens full of monsters in 0.1 secs while moving at mach speed. Now that's not bad on its own, but ALL builds in the game play like that at endgame. This is why I always end up coming back to Diablo.

Orc Priest
Jun 9, 2021
I was watching some D4 development footage from the blog updates and one thing I noticed is that the dungeons are very well lit and the game looks great in those clips. It makes me wonder if they deliberately mess with the colors in the official trailers just to shut the D2 grognards up? :tinfoil:

You can see for yourself here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKKdmW8zBTY

Orc Priest
Jun 9, 2021
I wonder if it was Blizz or Activision people who came up with this monetization scheme for Immortal

Orc Priest
Jun 9, 2021
Idk how anyone ever looked at D2 and thought oh yeah this is real horror i'm spooked. I remember young me laughing at the bright red goblins screaming RAKANISHU and the big dumb yetis with giant shoulders. And that's before even getting into the fact that it's a game where you do extremely gamey things; hunt for items with higher numbers so you can blow up monsters and other players faster/harder.

Orc Priest
Jun 9, 2021

Joke Miriam posted:

Yeah zombies and monsters are less scary when you’re killing dozens of them every second.

Unrelated: I think the next logical place for Diablo to go is space

The dungeon siege guys already beat you to the punch with that idea. It's a shame that space siege sucked so bad...

Orc Priest
Jun 9, 2021
One thing I hope they do with D4 is add new skills to classes over the years

Orc Priest
Jun 9, 2021
One of the things Immortal does right is damage numbers. They are in the hundreds/thousands range. Very readable and feels great.

But I'm no game dev so I have no clue how hard it would be to keep the numbers at a reasonable level in a live service game like D4. Every season is going to increase the power levels so...

Orc Priest
Jun 9, 2021
When you have to start slapping letters at the end of your damage numbers you know you hosed up, right?

Orc Priest
Jun 9, 2021
this is probably diablo 3's last season then the game goes into maintenance mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orc Priest
Jun 9, 2021
I wonder if D4 will have ancient and primal items. These seem pretty hated in D3 so I would be kind of shocked if they brought em back.