Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
What's the fast way to get to level 70 at the beginning of a new season? I've never played a season beginning, so I've got zero idea how people do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Do barb, there are a bunch of fun viable options. Once you've got one character solo running 70s or t13, you can gear a new character up to pretty much any build in a few hours. Getting initial gear is super easy now and for the meta builds, you're going to have no problem in 70s-80 even in p much garbage gear.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
TBH once you have one character geared, you can farm up a new set for a different hero faster than the time to do the original stages of the season journey for a set.

If you really want to be efficient, just rift/grift with goons (get in the channel) and give them pieces from your class that you want in exchange for pieces from their class that you need.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

euphronius posted:

Playing tons of IK Hota and still not tired of it . Getting real lazy too just face tanking multiple molten explosions .

For how good the damage output is, survivability on HOTA barb is ridiculous

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Does anyone not level by leeching in t6 rifts????!

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Vakal posted:

I think it is the most OP build in general at the moment, unless I'm missing some other crazy setup.

With zero ancient items, crap damage rolls on most of my stuff and mid level gems, I can easily poo poo out 250 billion crit damage to anything on screen at a rapid fire pace.

With a power pylon and the fire cycle on the COE ring it goes past a trillion easily.

It's the best monk build, but I wouldn't say the best overall whatsoever. Even for solo grifts I'd rather use a condemn crusader. Charge barb is also completely ridiculous.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Nov 26, 2017

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
I like HOTA barb tankiness a lot more than WoL monk, though I got a bellmonk up to 350mill toughness so they can actually be comparable.

Condemn crusader is just all around ridiculous. It most reminds me of the bonestorm lazy necro from last season, except able to do 30 more GR. Leorics crown + string of ears (in place of the CDR belt and aquilas) is the new thing with it that makes it even more ridiculous, though that hasn't made its way into any of the guides yet. Seasonal leaderboard for crusader is pretty unanimous.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Nov 26, 2017

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Bust Rodd posted:

I want to roll condemn but all 5 Akkhans that have dropped for me natively rolled thorns so i guess.....

reroll set is super super cheap yknow

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Theres even a really good non archon wiz build

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
I knew augments would make my guys stronger, but god drat I didn't appreciate how much of a difference it would make. Decided to bump my speedruns grifts up 10 levels to 85 and it is not appreciably harder or slower.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Trouble dealing with doors?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Starting around 100 GRs get interesting in a unique way.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
I hate rolling healstats onto items so templar heals are v useful on my sader. Also followers should take like 30 seconds to set up per character. It's literally just stun weapon + invuln trinket + ess of johan (usually) + unity + occulus. stats literally don't matter on any item except damage % on occulus.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Suspicious posted:

How are templar heals useful? It takes him ~4 seconds to realize you need healing, by which time you either used your potion already or you're dead.

For killing RGs the heals keep me alive 2-3x longer, or in other words, 2-3x fewer deaths in RG fights. It's 195k per heal. Follower will also manage a few seconds of stun per 10-20 seconds, which effective is a 15-30% DR in RG fights as well. That's a huge gain for the time it takes to full some lovely legendaries out of your stash.

And yeah CDR is important, but the templar heals didn't make a huge difference to my survivability until like GR90s. By the time it matters, you've probably found items with cdr on em anyways.

I stand by my claim that you can get full utility out of followers in about 30 seconds of actual effort.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Dec 1, 2017

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
I might make a discord cuz voice would be nice for doing GRs. LLJK is great for ingame stuff tho so I haven't bothered yet.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Early on at least: once you have any endgame build put together, a speedfarm variant is mostly a matter of what you can get away with a good balance of survivability and damage. Boon of the hoarder+Avarice Band+gold wrap is popular because it gives a billion toughness and can be aquired very early on. Short of the gold route, early on your speed build might just be 25% faster than your main build. Once you've got a couple hundred paragons you should be augmenting items cuz they give you a massive boost in power and survivability. It should go without saying that every piece of gear you have has been enchanted, either to get better properties or to get a property to the max value. By then you can take out a damage gem and replace it with the +25% movespeed mini-conduit gem and doing more and more gimmicky stuff to move more quickly.

A lot of the build guides are written with the expectation that you've got 1000+ paragon.

The gold speedfarm builds are popular as day 1 of new season builds because they give you the toughness to tank a bunch of t13 elemental effects with zero paragon.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

bio347 posted:

Augmenting at "a couple hundred paragons"? Are you nuts?

I don't think I had enough gems to make flawless royals for all of my regular gem slots, let alone my entire endgame set completed and ancient with a ton of worthwhile legendary gems and extra regulars to munch by that point. Augments are very much the last thing you should be doing, progression-wise.

Augments are one of the single biggest, quickest boosts to your strength. At the slow rate you get useable ancients you should be able to start augmenting early on. +350 mainstat is a huge deal. If you care about progression you should be running as many GRs as possible asap.

You know you can convert stacks of gems, right? It's not even expensive, like 500k gold to convert any 9 gems.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Dec 6, 2017

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
That was me with the drat Frehdyrs shield this season, I spent like 5k DBs upgrading shields before getting something better than a plain legendary.

bio347 posted:

I'm aware, yes. It still took me a pretty long time to get my seven flawless royals for my gear.

And... I mean, I guess if you assume everyone is grinding their faces off on GRs in a 4-man group, then sure, "augment as soon as possible!" is good advice. It's pretty bad advice without that caveat, though, because rofl at having several level 70 gems that early in a season otherwise.

I mean it's 3-4 mins per grift and that comes out to about an hour of grinding for a single extra levelled gem. IDK why you seem personally offended by the suggestion that augmenting asap is good, but it is good without any caveats. For ~progression~you should be doing whatever level of grifts you can do in 3-4 minutes, same as you should be running whatever T level you can just run through. An hour and a half to get 350 more main stat is a good deal as far as D3 benefits for time invested go. Besides, running GRs is what you do to progress anyways, so it's not like you're wildly changing your play around?????

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
You can make jess rath that is actually survivable in T13/GRs up to 80/90 or so. The other rathma setups do 5 trillion damage but get killed by a single stray mortar shot or spine.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
for t13 you can just do the gold wrap/avarice ring/boon of the horder and get 650 mill toughness like that. For GRs I'll check my setup, but Iirc you use bone armor and the increased armor rune for the necro's teleport skill. Other thing with making rathma tankier is you have to actually have at least 8 mages up because they will run into every projectile. If you want more toughness add an esoteric gem. If you need even more toughness add unity. Sing mage damage is so ridiculous that you can get away with a ton of toughness choices and still do plenty of damage to run through pretty high GRs.

As a general thing, I'd always suggest going for a vitality roll on either/both hands and head because it's just so much extra vit and just use diamonds in armor... which as a bonus frees up main stat gems for augmenting

E: I'd suggest always running avarice+horder any time you're doing bounties or rifts and aren't low on DBs. The gold you gain from the combo is enough that you never have to run an un-empowered GR, which speeds gem levelling up a ton.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Dec 9, 2017

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Goldwrap makes you invincible in t13, it's gonna be a lot better. The Blood Rush rune that grants armor also grants a fuckton of armor

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
There are a lot of people running bots, though they don't ever impact my experience at all aside from tearing through public bounty games like a bounty completing machine. There's hardly any point in finding 3 other people to do bounties with anymore. 24/7 there are people or bots to group up with for bounties.

They affect the leaderboards in that I highly doubt anyone is getting into the top 25 or so without botting, but getting into the top 100 is absolutely doable un-botted, without poopsocking, at that. Last I looked there were people clearing high 90s/low 100s solo GRs with only 50-60 hours invested.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Destiny 2 was probably the shallowest game I have ever played. I'm blown away they let it ship with that little content or customization or anything. It 100% felt like a dressed up microtransactions store, not a game that happened to have microtransactions.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
TBH the leaderboard is currently a contest between botters, it would be cool if they had a separate ladder for non-botters, but as long as farming bounties and hundreds of hours of paragon grinding are a part of getting competitive each season, botting is going to be a big part of the game.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Yeah 100% don't worry about getting your characters to GR90s your first time playing. Just play new classes if you get bored of the old one, you'll eventually find a build that has a good mix of survivability, damage, and speed, and playstyle that you enjoy enough to put the time in to optimize. A lot of D3 is just learning the game and the mechanics and the item pool.

Check D3fans or icy-veins for builds. If you have an endgame build in mind, you should find basically all the pieces for it naturally before long, but you need to have that direction as early as possible. TBH, I'd just pick any build that seems vaguely fun and says top-tier or gr90+ and work towards it, you'll gear into it pretty quickly.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Also for gods sake plz don't do any more campaign than minimally necessary. Just get to farming rifts and greater rifts asap. The rewards are the best there, you'll gear up rapidly and you'll burn out quickly enough to enjoy the next season even more.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Have they released any info on S14? how long before the next season do they normally announce the journey sets?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
I don't really understand how the bots influence anyone elses experience except that you could idle in bounty games and the bots will just complete all the bounties for you.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Toughness is the most under-rated stat. Protip: losing 30% toughness for 2% more damage is a terrible trade in 99.9% of cases.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jan 17, 2018

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
naw I was misremembering, your belt is fine, though I personally hate manually managing sweeping wind because I'm lazy. Do you not have emeralds in your weapons, because that's going to completely gently caress you.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Not having emeralds in your drat weapons is the first, second, third, and fourth problem you're having. If you rerolled your sockets into resource reduction and area damage yeah no poo poo you can't kill anything now

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jan 17, 2018

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

sector_corrector posted:

Oh, poo poo... ok. That seems poorly communicated in the UI.

edit: I'm playing on T6, and a bunch of people joined who were massively past my character's damage curve and obliterated everything in their path in about 2 minutes. I think I'll stick to solo.

That's a good thing, you should be getting past t6 as fast as possible.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Personally I'd rather just get to t13 where you can farm together a complete build from scratch in an hour or two, but I also made a top tier build for almost ever class last season so I was less interested in bonding with individual enemies and giving them names and a backstory before vaporizing them.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
I fully expect to have a 'what have I done, who have I become' moment someday when I browse the 'total units eliminated' stats

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Akkhan condemn even with garbage gear where you roll important stats into CDR still completely destroys almost every other build out there. You can get the CDR you need for 100% uptime in like 3 minutes of enchanting (56%).

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Every time I bother with challenge rifts the builds are cobbled together about the most explicitly un-meta items. They're combinations of things no one would ever use normally.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Bust Rodd posted:

This isn’t different enough from how GRs already work for them to implement it, but I’ve heard chatter about a boss rush survival mode like Super-Ubers and that would be fun.

They had a play test of this at this years? last years? blizzcon I believe. No plans to release it apparently.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
It looks like all the botters that they banned happened to be necro mains... I should check the rosbot forums, but I suspect someone figured out a way to get like 3trill xp an hour by botting with the exploit.

e: nm looks like they did actually ban some botters, albeit not all that many?

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Feb 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
That's an interesting point, D3 probably is the most chill, least toxic game I've played in a long time. Aside from people occasionally ranting about bots or idiots making fun of eachother in general chat, it's super tame.