Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

I'm unsure tbh, mostly spitballing ways to encourage participating in DnD sans creeps. I know of people who have started exclusive groups because of past bad experiences, including one black woman where the group is only for same because of racism in previous groups. Noslo's experience does seem to be more common: people of an already existing social circle going "hey, this looks fun, let's try it!" and holding sessions at home as part of a get-together.

Small cities can be tougher, but there's a game called Tabletop Simulator where DnD and other RPGs can be played online - different experience than in-person sure, but you can still learn DnD and have fun in a private server.

Tabletop Simulator is how I played my first ever proper RPG. Pathfinder with a bunch of goons I chat with in discord. Worked out really well, our DM just had to schedule around four or five timezones and deal with a bunch of idiots who never played before. There's a shitload of free resources out there, I think a lot of our dungeons were pre-made in Tabletop Simulator and then adjusted as needed by the DM before the party ever saw them.

As for horror stories, the only thing I've seen was when I was buying some Warhammer at a Games Workshop over a decade ago. I was browsing the Orks when all the conversations stopped. I looked up and everyone at the painting table and the two occupied game tables were staring at the GIRL who just walked in with her boyfriend. For some reason they got their stuff and left really quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeisureSuit Canary
Dec 27, 2012

Perestroika posted:

There are also online platforms such as roll20. It's basically a chatroom with a dice-roller, a shared central map where you can push tokens around and make fancy drawings, and a forum for finding groups and players.

My Dnd group uses roll20. It also has webcam and voice chat support which does sorta allow that in person dnd feeling. It works okay though it felt more unstable when we had like 7 people. It's been fine with 5 of us though. The built in character sheets work pretty well.

I believe the traditional games section of the forums has a sign up spot for open games. You could check there for a new player friendly game.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

LanceFancypants posted:

About 8 years ago, my friends at the time and I were avid Yu-Gi-Oh players. The store we would play at consisted of half normal people and half complete spergs. There's little originally to Yu-Gi-Oh and whenever a new set would come out, EVERYONE would build a deck around whatever the new "win combo" was. Except me. I liked to make cheesy burn decks.
During the first round of a tournament, I faced one of the most disgusting humans I've ever witnessed. Fat, greasy hair, gnarly unbrushed teeth (he breathed really heavy, and it smelled like he was nibbling on turds earlier). Pretty much everything one would imagine when they think of a stereotypical basement dweller.
The guy looked to be about late 20's and judging by the deck he had, he had easily spent $400+ on the 40 cards. Out of the three rounds however, I had beaten him twice with my cheesy burn deck. Instead of freaking out, he just had a look of total disbelief like "How did this happen..." It wasn't until I got up to go to my friends that I heard him swearing under his breath (there were kids near him too) saying how much he hated me. He glared at me like Jack Nicholson's character in The Shining when he starts to freak out. I just smiled and laughed and continued the tournament.
Fast forward about a month. He ended up getting banned from the store for stealing someone's binder full of expensive cards. The rumor was that he went to jail. I hope the rumor was true.

There is nothing more rewarding as a kid then when you whoop he rear end of an adult stranger in a game and they actually get mad. I beat a dude so bad at soul calibur in an arcade when I was playing single player at 13 and he asked to fight me that he just yelled "gently caress!!" and walked away and my cousin thought I was the coolest dude in the world. I was Kilik and he chose Maxi so I don't know what he was thinking anyway though

He was also the overweight beard guy stereotype in his late 20s im pretty sure

Aesop Poprock has a new favorite as of 14:54 on Sep 23, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
While I hate the term "safe space", nerd shops really should be a place where socially awkward youths feel like they can go and not be harassed.

And hilariously, my shop has been getting a series of negative FB and Google reviews because I'm being stalked by one such person. Still doesn't change my feelings on the subject though!

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

While I hate the term "safe space", nerd shops really should be a place where socially awkward youths feel like they can go and not be harassed.

And hilariously, my shop has been getting a series of negative FB and Google reviews because I'm being stalked by one such person. Still doesn't change my feelings on the subject though!

You're being stalked by a child? You can't just bring up that subject without elaborating on it

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aesop Poprock posted:

You're being stalked by a child? You can't just bring up that subject without elaborating on it

Well aside from them not being a "youth" they check all the other boxes. It's just an odd situation because I've worked at the store for a very long time that this person was a teenager when I started and has since grown up and now identifies as a woman so I have to be very careful how I deal with this.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Noslo posted:

Not a girl, but in a similar vein to this I've had great luck just avoiding the game stores altogether. The few times over the years I would go in there trying to play Pathfinder or D&D I could never get anything to stick. For every 1 cool person at the table there would be 3 insufferables.

That is until about 6 months ago. A friend of mine started a group and it's basically a sunday night D&D dinner party. And its really not hard to put together, before this I would say 5 out of the 7 of us had never even played before. All you need is a set of the dice & one experienced person to DM. Other than that, its all about having fun. And we certainly do.

I think it's been brought up numerous in this thread, but it's always a good point: Teaching well-adjusted friends to play DnD is a lot easier than teaching creepy DnD players to behave.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Has anyone been to a nerd store that tried to be a restaurant? It's not something to be half assed. We went to a nerd bar/restaurant and it seemed like a great idea. Sufficient space, fun themed drinks, and lots of available boardgames to try out.

The owner seems to have hired close friends with no regard for if they had worked in a restaurant before. Confused host, indifferent waitstaff that abandoned tables, and long time to get the bill. We were there a few years ago and haven't been back, I checked their most recent Yelp reviews and people are concerned their outside deck is going to collapse.

I've been to a lot of very cool board game cafes, they're really neat if done right. The worst ones are the most ostentatious because they usually don't have good games for casual players or smaller groups, and the best have a really broad assortment and plenty of silly family games so everyone can play without being intimidated by the really heavy games.

There was a good one we used to go to and I'll never forget watching this squat tween frantically taking all the pieces out of a Perfection! board and, upon doing so, turned to his big brother and proclaimed "I did it!". His brother looked at the empty board and said "you're supposed to put the pieces in, you dumbass". The younger brother looked at the board and, with amazing comic timing, it popped up and scared him.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

TheSmilingJackal posted:

Mox in Bellevue has a nerd store (mostly Warhammer and board games) attached to a normalish restaurant. The staff doesn't seem nerdy, and they are most just there to do their jobs.

Confirmed that Mox in Bellevue is excellent. They have great staff and tons of floor space so the family-casual, MtG, and sprawling Warhammer types of play all have their own areas. I’ve only eaten there once and it was good.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Rhyno posted:

Well aside from them not being a "youth" they check all the other boxes. It's just an odd situation because I've worked at the store for a very long time that this person was a teenager when I started and has since grown up and now identifies as a woman so I have to be very careful how I deal with this.

To quote my favorite Anonymous Confessions reply:
yikes

Good luck, dude.

My experiences have been about average, some bad, some not so bad. My worst experience was actually looking for some mahjong tiles. I went to this board game "store", which was underneath a seedy tavern in the poo poo part of my town, and there were just five unwashed men and women playing magic. I asked if they had mahjong (they didn't), and in the thirty seconds we were there two dudes tried to hit on my wife. It was very sketchy and I didn't like it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Problem is, there's a pretty thin line between 'Refuge where young people with niche interests and poor social skills can interact with others without being bullied or ostracised' and 'fetid den where neckbeards wallow in their own crapulence and scare off sensible people, especially women'. Depends on where the owner leans and whether they're willing to lay down the law, really; see the Geek Social Fallacies for basically the playbook as to how this works out.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
It's similar with any hobby that involves baby boomer men. I collected used records a lot as a teen and depending on which store I went to, I'd either receive an interesting deep cut recommendation or a weird demonstrative lesson on toxic masculinity. Once at the latter there were a couple women hanging around, and as soon as they left, the owner and his buds called me over and showed me an uncensored copy of The Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking that had just come in.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Aesop Poprock posted:

There is nothing more rewarding as a kid then when you whoop he rear end of an adult stranger in a game and they actually get mad. I beat a dude so bad at soul calibur in an arcade when I was playing single player at 13 and he asked to fight me that he just yelled "gently caress!!" and walked away and my cousin thought I was the coolest dude in the world. I was Kilik and he chose Maxi so I don't know what he was thinking anyway though

He was also the overweight beard guy stereotype in his late 20s im pretty sure

Yes, I remember playing you

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

oldpainless posted:

more like oldgameless

that's the only time i'll make one of those jokes

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

oldpainless posted:

More like oldgameless.

Wait, poo poo, had that one been done before?

Edit: ^^^ You motherfucker.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Intoluene posted:

More like oldgameless.

Wait, poo poo, had that one been done before?

Edit: ^^^ You motherfucker.

haha game on bitch

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
oldquarterless

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Oldchangeless

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
Old Calibur

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

SpacePig posted:

Old Calibur

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

TheSmilingJackal posted:

There was an AFK in Renton. I heard it wasn't opened by the people in Everett, just some dumbasses using the name for nerd cred. They clearly hired nerds with no restaurant experience. That place was never worth the time and didn't last long.

I was a regular at afk Renton in 2014 and I can confirm it was owned by the same people as ago in Everett. They just had a general manager do everything in Renton, since the owners were always busy apparently.

The food was really good at first, but over time they stopped giving a poo poo it seemed z then got called out on Facebook and vowed to change, but never did.

They're gaming events sucked in the end too. They had paid a group in the area to run a miniatures night for a while, which is what I went too. It was crazy fun and brought in tons of people. What didn't bring in people was kicking this group out and claiming they could run events themselves. The only events after that were lovely kareoke and cards against humanity hosted by "a human sized pickle".

Oh and they had open group interviews for every position at the restaurant before it opened. I think it died just before the 2 year mark.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

Rhyno posted:

I agree with this. I have a Very Pretty Wife and every blue moon she goes into the “nerd store” with me. It’s like throwing a rock into a hornet’s nest, and I have mixed feelings when it happens. I’m happy to have a pretty wife, but I remember my hyper-nerd youth, so I understand and empathize with all the other guys in the store. Honestly I’m still a huge nerd but I hide it very well. BURIED SO DEEP. I’ll probably end up going on a shooting spree.

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Well, there goes the Hall of Fame...
Going through old Pokemon TCG posts, as a League Leader...

Grem posted:

I take my kids to the Pokemon League at the local game store. There's never anything really awful except, you know, grown men playing Pokemon and complaining when my son looks over and helps my 6 year old daughter out a bit.
Forgive the necroquote, but this is the sort of stuff I try to make sure doesn't happen at my local Pokemon League. We try to assume a certain age group can handle autonomy, but definitely not as young as 6. Besides, League is meant to be the most casual environment of "formal" Pokemon TCG play. It's why I try to help out with deck construction, suggestions for improvement, that sort of thing. I still play tournament-level decks, just to show what can be done with the game.

I have weaker strategies and things on-par with theme decks, because being blown out of the water when you're just starting is not a way to build a positive environment for new players to come to enjoy. Wins and losses each earn equal progress towards rewards, because at the end of the day, with the sportsmanship (Spirit of the Game) I emphasize, it's not about who wins or loses, outside of bragging rights, but what you learn to improve your game play. (That, and not everyone can afford the best cards; no need to punish players like that twice.)

Sociopastry posted:

For future reference, male and male presenting goons- call this poo poo out. Nodding and smiling because you don't want to make a scene just makes them think that it's acceptable to do this. You can just say "hey, not cool" and leave it at that, but please call them out on it, make it easier on those of us that are the target of these kinds of comments.
Also, this. A hundred times this.

Grem posted:

So, I may have mentioned this before, but I take my kids to a Pokemon League thing at my local nerd store. It's certainly not my scene, and I am appalled at the poo poo that my kids have to put up with and situations I'm constantly pulling them out of. The adults there playing try to get my kids to put up pretty expensive cards as prizes for games. Playing with different rules than the ones they know. Telling my son he can't help my daughter (who isn't old enough to read well enough to fully understand what's going on). Holy poo poo man, this is a kid's game with little cartoon creatures. Chill the gently caress out. More than once I've had to interrupt some greasy dude's attempt to scam my kid out of a card that was put up as a prize for a game that was played with rules that my son has never played with before. I've had to take my son's cards out of dudes hands. I gotta find a new place to take them.
Report this to Pokemon Customer Service, and they WILL take action against this League. Don't bring them to a scamming place, and yes, a new place would be a good idea.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lincoln posted:

I agree with this. I have a Very Pretty Wife and every blue moon she goes into the “nerd store” with me. It’s like throwing a rock into a hornet’s nest, and I have mixed feelings when it happens. I’m happy to have a pretty wife, but I remember my hyper-nerd youth, so I understand and empathize with all the other guys in the store. Honestly I’m still a huge nerd but I hide it very well. BURIED SO DEEP. I’ll probably end up going on a shooting spree.

I am engaged to a woman who can only be described as "breath takingly pretty" and she had to stop dropping into the store on fridays due to the MTG goobers not being able to keep their mouths shut.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
I stopped in a game store on the way to dinner with a very attractive lady. I told her I was gonna run in, grab my stuff, and be back - 2 minutes tops. She insisted on coming in. When we went in we ran into a guy we went to high school with and talked to him a bit. When we got back to the car she said "I've been eye hosed plenty of times, but i've never been eye raped before."

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

I walked into the local fetid nerd dungeon with my VERY ATTRACTIVE wife and BOTH of her huge boobs on one of the rare occasions when she has an off-day from lingerie modeling. As the disgusting hamdemon rang up my Funko Pops while leering at her DD cups he casually asked me if I was going to have sex with my "very attractive wife" (his words not mine!).

"Yes!" I shouted so that the whole store could hear, "Me and my very large dong are absolutely going to be having sex with this SUPER-HOT chick who I AM in a relationship with." I then took the Funko pops, my hot wife, both of her huge boobs, and rode off on a Harley-Davidson motorcycle, plotting on how to relate this story and the great sex I'm having in order to increase my social standing on the Something Awful forums.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

I walked into the local fetid nerd dungeon with my VERY ATTRACTIVE wife and BOTH of her huge boobs on one of the rare occasions when she has an off-day from lingerie modeling. As the disgusting hamdemon rang up my Funko Pops while leering at her DD cups he casually asked me if I was going to have sex with my "very attractive wife" (his words not mine!).

"Yes!" I shouted so that the whole store could hear, "Me and my very large dong are absolutely going to be having sex with this SUPER-HOT chick who I AM in a relationship with." I then took the Funko pops, my hot wife, both of her huge boobs, and rode off on a Harley-Davidson motorcycle, plotting on how to relate this story and the great sex I'm having in order to increase my social standing on the Something Awful forums.

Post nudes

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Thank god she didn't leave one behind this time

Felonious_Monk
Oct 26, 2008

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Pretty sure that's bestiality

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Good. I had to stop going to MtG fridays because the constant parade of hot wives coming in and out made it impossible to keep my focus on cheating

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

Rhyno posted:

Post nudes

hey, not cool

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Drunk Nerds posted:

Good. I had to stop going to MtG fridays because the constant parade of hot wives coming in and out made it impossible to keep my focus on cheating

:thunk:

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

while it's uncommonly adorable that some husbands still call their wives/fiances breathtakingly beautiful, and that's really quite sweet if you can drop the cynicism for a moment, i've posted here before that a few of my friends have definitely had their wives tag along to mtg tournaments and it's been a total creepshow for them - it's a sadly common nerd store experience for women and that's really quite awful if we can return back to cynicism to consider that

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
My future wife is super pretty and I love her a lot so I will continue to be super proud of how I'm marrying way up above what I probably deserve.

But what you say is true, any woman who comes to an FNM is going to be miserable.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
My wife is a mean old hag - we can attend card game tournaments hassle-free

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
A few years ago we had a literal fist fight erupt over the only regular girl in attendance. And the best part is, the instigator of the fight was furiously hated by the girl.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
I once walked into one of the stores because I wanted the cool dragon statue in the window, and the entire store of sweaty neckbeards paused in their card games and turned their head to stare at me. I was also underage and in a school uniform. So, you know, that was great. I do not go into nerdy stores unless I see at least one woman already present.

NoNotTheMindProbe
Aug 9, 2010
pony porn was here

Rhyno posted:

A few years ago we had a literal fist fight erupt over the only regular girl in attendance. And the best part is, the instigator of the fight was furiously hated by the girl.

By "fist fight" I take it you mean "inept flailing".

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

By "fist fight" I take it you mean "inept flailing".

No it was really quite bad. My coworker was barely able to keep them apart. We banned the instigator from the store and word got around pretty quick. I believe he's banned from pretty much every store in town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

If it helps, as an ugly man I can say that I also get weird looks from nerds in nerd stores and feel quite uncomfortable.

• Locked thread