Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

What is this thread for?

Tell me about your office setup!

What furniture do you use?
Chairs: Computer chair? Weird reverse stool thing? Giant ball?
Monitors: A single laptop monitor crammed in the corner of a start up? Or an IT power-station with quad monitors and Mt Dew holder?

How is your health?
Health: What's your health like? Eye issues? Back sore? Shoulders shot to poo poo?
Exercise: How often do you get active? Lift weights? Rock climb? Hunch over and masturbate like a spider monkey?

What do the pros say?

From the Mayo Clinic:

quote:

If you sit behind a desk for hours at a time, you're not doomed to a career of neck and back pain or sore wrists and fingers. Proper office ergonomics — including correct chair height, adequate equipment spacing and good desk posture — can help you and your joints stay comfortable at work.

Ready to give your work space a makeover? Get started making your sitting workstation comfortable with this visual guide to sitting workstation ergonomics.

Chair

Choose a chair that supports your spinal curves. Adjust the height of your chair so that your feet rest flat on the floor or on a footrest and your thighs are parallel to the floor. Adjust armrests so your arms gently rest on them with your shoulders relaxed.
Key objects

Keep key objects — such as your telephone, stapler or printed materials — close to your body to minimize reaching. Stand up to reach anything that can't be comfortably reached while sitting.
Keyboard and mouse

Place your mouse within easy reach and on the same surface as your keyboard. While typing or using your mouse, keep your wrists straight, your upper arms close to your body, and your hands at or slightly below the level of your elbows. Use keyboard shortcuts to reduce extended mouse use. If possible, adjust the sensitivity of the mouse so you can use a light touch to operate it. Alternate the hand you use to operate the mouse by moving the mouse to the other side of your keyboard.
Telephone

If you frequently talk on the phone and type or write at the same time, place your phone on speaker or use a headset rather than cradling the phone between your head and neck.

Footrest

If your chair is too high for you to rest your feet flat on the floor — or the height of your desk requires you to raise the height of your chair — use a footrest. If a footrest is not available, try using a small stool or a stack of sturdy books instead.

Desk

Under the desk, make sure there's clearance for your knees, thighs and feet. If the desk is too low and can't be adjusted, place sturdy boards or blocks under the desk legs. If the desk is too high and can't be adjusted, raise your chair. Use a footrest to support your feet as needed. If your desk has a hard edge, pad the edge or use a wrist rest. Don't store items under your desk.

Monitor

Place the monitor directly in front of you, about an arm's length away. The top of the screen should be at or slightly below eye level. The monitor should be directly behind your keyboard. If you wear bifocals, lower the monitor an additional 1 to 2 inches for more comfortable viewing. Place your monitor so that the brightest light source is to the side.

Personally, I think I'm pretty close to the ideal, and considering everything was gathered off of craigslist I'm pretty happy. The desk is a smidge too tall so my wrists bend up a little bit. Other than that I need to get a proper second monitor and I'm good to go for the short term!

Post pictures and/or details of:

Your computer space, your favorite/least favorite furniture/equipment you've used, your rock hard abs and more!

If it relates to health, ergonomics, and sitting at a computer, let us know!

edit: my upper back inbetween the shoulder blades tends to get sore though, anybody have a guess why?!?!

JIZZ DENOUEMENT fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jun 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003
It's fun when you delve into this you will find contradictory advice. Soft wrist supports used to be all the rage but now they are considered harmful. Some say you need to keep a strict posture, others say adjusting the way you sit or even slouching for a few hours is no problem. As long as everything is fully adjustable and your desk is 160x80 cm you'll be fine. RSI is mostly a mental illness anyway.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

By far the best ergonomics choice I ever made was getting a desk with "wings" at the front, or rather a big indentation for the belly, so my entire forearm can rest on the desk. I have a feel millions of people worldwide suffer from tendonitis or forearm pain because they simply haven't thought of this. This is much better than arm rests on the chair.

My desk at home looks like this:

Sure it's pretty ugly, but who cares. If you sit at a straight/square desk and use the mouse, the middle of your forearm rests on the edge of the desk, which at least for me, very quickly becomes painful.

At work I also have a desk with a "belly indentation", although not as pronounced as my home desk. Even a few inches of indentation is very helpful.

I have also invested in a good office chair. It's from IKEA, but about the most expensive one they had, and it's rock solid. It's not in stock later, but it's similar to the VOLMAR chair they have now. You know those cheap Made in China "executive chair" with faux vinyl leather, and a big comfy seat/back? Yeah, they suck for ergonomics because they are so soft, big and wobbly. A firm chair is not necessarily uncomfortable.

My health? Fine, even though I sit at computer every day for work and many hours at home also sometimes.

A few other tips:

* See those little stands at the back of your keyboard? You know how many people instinctively flip them up when they get a new keyboard? STOP DOING IT! The more angled your keyboard is, the worse. Try bending your hands up as if you were typing on an imaginary keyboard that was angled at 45 degrees towards you. Extremely painful, right? Now try lifting your hands up in the air 10 inches from the desk, completely loosen your wrists, and imagine you're typing on a keyboard floating just below your finger tips. Comfortable, right? The flatter the keyboard, the better. Even a negative angle is good, see the Microsoft Natural Keyboard 4000 for an extreme example:

* If you're having serious carpal tunnel syndrome from a mouse, consider investing in a Evoluent VerticalMouse. Twisting your wrist 90 degrees to the left like when holding a normal mouse is unnatural, this special mouse redeems is. I've tried for a few years, ultimately went back to normal mice, but it did some good.

* Have one model of mouse at work, and different one at home, to vary your posture just a little bit.

* Don't blindly follow the advice for having your screen close; just behind the keyboard as the article says. At work I have two huge 27" monitors, and if I have them too close, I need to move my entire head left and right like a tank aiming its gun. You should be able to view your entire primary screen without having to move your head/neck.

PS:

quote:

Keep key objects — such as your telephone, stapler or printed materials
When was this written, 1995? :lol:

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

I have used the microsoft ergonomic keyboard for years (I'm on my second one) and it's amazing, love the poo poo out of the loving thing, the only bad part is the M key sucks to use at the start because it's stiff, but once you wear it in, everything is gravy. I work at computers for 8+ hours a day as well.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

MF_James posted:

I have used the microsoft ergonomic keyboard for years (I'm on my second one) and it's amazing, love the poo poo out of the loving thing, the only bad part is the M key sucks to use at the start because it's stiff, but once you wear it in, everything is gravy. I work at computers for 8+ hours a day as well.

I felt the keypress mechanism was really, really bad. The keys are like sponges with no feedback, and that's part of the reason why I just couldn't stand using it in the long run. I develop software at work, so I frequently type obscure characters and key shortcuts. Shame, because the layout and forward-tilt is great for the wrists.

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

MF_James posted:

My only wish is that Microsoft made a mechanical version of their keyboard with Cherry MX switches. Nothing else would make me switch to another keyboard. I've yet to see an ergonomic mechanical keyboard that doesn't look like an abomination and cost a million dollars.

When I used to work at my old job in NYC, they had boatloads of money so everyone had a nice ergotron setup at their desks which let me adjust dual monitors to the exact height and distance I needed. I sorely miss that setup now that my monitors are sitting flat on my desk again.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

I agree that the keys feel awful on the thing, but considering i'm at one of my desks for 40+ hours a week typing (in IT as well) it's just something I learned to live with. I prefer mechanical keyboards myself, but after using the ergonomic keyboard for a while the keys wear in a bit and feel better and you just get used to it.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
I originally used a Wacom tablet at work only to draw, but then started using it instead of the mouse for everything, got one for my home computer and now I can't use a mouse again for any amount of time. Holding a little pen in your fingers only when you need to is so much more natural as a movement and arm position. I recommend it to pretty much everyone now that there's Wacom budget models and infinite cheap knockoffs if you only want a mouse replacement instead of a drawing tool.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

NihilismNow posted:

RSI is mostly a mental illness anyway.
RSI can include a lot of stuff, packing boxes, lifting heavy stuff, working in a factory, etc.

That said, anyone I know who ever had constant problems with new chairs, new desks, too much sun, not enough sun, chronic pain, etc was horrible at their job before they discovered that illness and even more horrible at their job after.

Entone
Aug 14, 2004

Take that slow people!

I've broken myself in many ways that required many surgeries; so, I pretty much need to have a flexible workspace that can accommodate a lot of postures. Just about everything from my feet to my neck and in-between has been affected with injuries that ranged from broken bones to atrophied muscles to nerve damage. These days, I'm healthy and active. I bike, hike, skydive, fly planes, and ride motorcycles. Being stuck in one position is really the worst thing that I can do for the chronic pain. I'm a software engineer that works from home; so, I really needed something that works well for long days at the computer.

I use a Ergotron Teachwell Desk Sit/Stand Desk with a Kinesis Advantage Keyboard, Evoluent Vertical C Mouse, and a Herman Miller Aeron Chair.

Here's an old photo from before I found a deal on the keyboard and mouse. The desk is exceptionally handy. It's really nice to be able to roll it into the kitchen when cooking.

Regarding your shoulder blades, have you tried doing any chair or floor stretches after long sessions at your comp? I try to set a timer for an hour to work on a task and then do a quick set of stretches.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

I don't design furniture, but I am a huge fan of furniture (see avatar). I also went to school for designing products (and now tada, design products), and learned a decent amount about anthropometrics and ergonomics, though not as much as say, ergonomists for Steelcase. While I utilize human factors data for my work, generally i focus more on cognitive and visual stuff, and the anthropometric data i use focuses more on things like hand size.

My general understanding in terms of workspaces and chairs specifically:
ADJUST YOUR CHAIR. Make sure the seat pan depth is about two~three inches before the popliteal/back of the knee. Adjust the arms, the back, the height. And more importantly imo (and some higher tier task chairs already build this in), adjust the tension. You don't want to be sitting in the same position for all that long. You want to adjust, and you want it to be easy and quick and seamless to adjust and adjust often.
Adjust your desk, too. Sit/stand desks are handy. Mine can convert, but I don't really like standing up that much, tbqh, even though I understand why many people prefer it.

I use a Humanscale Freedom at work, and love it. It's flexy enough for if I lean back, but it's still good and comfortable to perch in instead (which is how I personally prefer sitting). It moves well. The initial adjustments were easy. And best of all, no pain problems, which is cool.

Scudworth posted:

I originally used a Wacom tablet at work only to draw, but then started using it instead of the mouse for everything, got one for my home computer and now I can't use a mouse again for any amount of time. Holding a little pen in your fingers only when you need to is so much more natural as a movement and arm position. I recommend it to pretty much everyone now that there's Wacom budget models and infinite cheap knockoffs if you only want a mouse replacement instead of a drawing tool.

Is it a cintiq, or one of the non-screen ones like the intuous? I have a big ol cintiq on my desk, but I only use it for sketches/hand renders. I don't like doing like any other work on it. It doesn't work well with any of the CAD software I've used, and it's just too bulky to use as a monitor. I think the intuous would make a nice mouse-replacement, but i prefer a mouse tbqh.

Oh, and if anyone does CAD work, and you don't already have a 3dconnexion spacemouse (especially the non-travel one), I really recommend it. It's such a joy to use imo. I also have their regular mouse, and think it's worth the cost, too. But the spacemouse is basically a necessity for me if I'm doing CAD work now.

About half the people at my work use the evoluent vertical mice, but I am a fan of mine. Maybe if i start having wrist problems again, I'll move to it, but so far, so good.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Gnossiennes posted:

Is it a cintiq, or one of the non-screen ones like the intuous? I have a big ol cintiq on my desk, but I only use it for sketches/hand renders. I don't like doing like any other work on it. It doesn't work well with any of the CAD software I've used, and it's just too bulky to use as a monitor. I think the intuous would make a nice mouse-replacement, but i prefer a mouse tbqh.

I use the Intuos Pro line because I don't want another monitor. For non-professionals I'll always suggest the Intuos Draw/Photo/Art budget line since they're all under $80, and they've now released one specifically marketed for ergonomic mouse replacement called One By Wacom, also cheap and lacking the fancy options. But like I said if someone is just replacing a mouse and never draw with these there's cheaper and cheaper no name brand options all over for even less money.

I love playing with CAD people's spacemice.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Get up and (at least) take a lap of the office every half hour?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

I recently decided to get a standing desk for home.

I figured since I'm sitting in front of a computer all day at the office, when I come home, it's better to change things up a bit.

Actually I decided to get a bar, but I had them make it 105cm high instead of 85cm high. So when I want to use it as a bar, I just move my computer out of the way. If I get tired of standing I just sit on one of the barstools.

I must say, it's pretty awesome. It's not like I've measured but I feel like my productivity has gone up quite a bit.

• Locked thread