Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brainworm
Mar 23, 2007

...one of these--
As he hath spices of them all, not all,
For I dare so far free him--made him fear'd...
Nap Ghost
Our furry friends are getting fat just like us; 1 in 3 are overweight

quote:

Our loyal companions are packing on the pounds in step with us, a new study finds.

Surveying about 2.5 million dogs and 500,000 cats in the US during 2016, a group of researchers found that about one in three were overweight or obese. Looking over data from the last decade, the researchers say the new figures reveal a 169-percent increase in hefty felines and a 158-percent increase in chunky canines.

All the data is from researchers at Banfield, which runs a chain of veterinary hospitals across 42 states. The researchers surveyed animals that checked into one of Banfield’s 975 locations, putting them through a five-point physical and visual exam. Animals were considered overweight if their ribs were not clearly visible or easily felt and if their waists were also hard to see. Pets were dubbed obese if their ribs couldn’t be felt at all and they had no visible waist.

The inflating figures of our furry friends are in step with ours. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention report that about 37 percent of US adults are obese. And a recent study found that 2.2 billion people worldwide—about 30 percent—are overweight, with 10 percent being obese.

As in humans, being overweight makes pets more prone to chronic health conditions. Also similar to humans, doctors blame pets’ weight problems on overfeeding and lack of exercise. Other contributing factors include genetics and health issues such as arthritis, which can make play painful. Last, some pet owners may not be able to spot weight issues in their pets—particularly because so many more dogs and cats are now overweight, making chubby pets the new norm.

Dog breeds with the highest prevalence of obesity are Labrador Retrievers, Cairn Terriers, and Cocker Spaniels, the researchers report. For cats, the fattest breeds are Manx and Maine Coons.

There was one striking difference between pet and human obesity data: geography. As the Washington Post points out, some of states with the highest rates of human obesity—such as Louisiana, Alabama, and Mississippi—had some of the lowest rates of pet obesity.

Instead, Banfield researchers noted that skinny pets in states with high human obesity rates also had some of the highest rates of parasites. This hints that pet weight issues may be more strongly linked to pet owner and veterinary care than the weight of pet owners per se. But there’s not enough data to make firm conclusions.

To beat the bulge in our fluffy BFFs, Banfield researchers recommend talking with your vet, cutting down on treats, and providing non-food rewards, plus boosting exercise time.

Correction (6/28): This story previously reported that states with the highest rate of pet obesity also had the highest rates of pet parasites. The researchers found that the states with the lowest rates of pet obesity had the highest rates of parasites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BluesShaman
Apr 25, 2016

She wore Blue Velvet.
American pets deserved 9/11.

Brainworm
Mar 23, 2007

...one of these--
Nap Ghost
Paying the Price of a Fat Pet

quote:

In the year before she died, Lacey, a white German shepherd, was crippled by a weight problem and hip dysplasia, barely able to walk.

Her owner, Myrle Horn, had paid little attention to her diet, feeding Lacey plenty of food because “she always wanted more.” It was only toward the end, when Lacey’s extra weight seemed to worsen her hip condition, that Ms. Horn began to cut back on her food.

“It was a horrible tragedy,” said Ms. Horn, 79, a food writer who lives in Florida. “I had to have a vet come to the house to put Lacey down because I couldn’t get her up and I couldn’t get her out.”

Convinced that Lacey’s weight worsened her quality of life, Ms. Horn became more diet-conscious with her next white shepherd, Gypsy, and now is vigilant about keeping the dog’s weight at a lean 60 pounds. Ms. Horn monitors her calorie intake, feeding her things like fish oil, spinach, zucchini and turkey breast.

“The last year of Lacey’s life was horrible,” she says, “and I swore to Gypsy that I would never let her end up like that.”

As the number of Americans who are overweight has grown, studies show that they have gained some four-legged company. About half of all dogs and cats in American homes are overweight or obese, up slightly from 2010, according to a recent study by the Association for Pet Obesity Prevention. In a nation of 170 million pets, many of them as beloved as children, that means that roughly 85 million are carrying too much weight. And many pet owners are finding that the extra pounds on a pudgy cat or dog can lead to severe – and costly – health problems.

“Seeing animals suffering from health conditions secondary to their obesity is a common situation,” said Dr. Louise Murray, vice president of the Bergh Memorial Animal Hospital, run by the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, in New York.

Just as diabetes and heart disease are more common in people who are obese, these diseases also are more common in overweight animals. The average cost of veterinary care for a diabetic dog or cat in 2011 was more than $900, according to Petplan USA, a pet insurance company. Treatment for arthritis and cruciate ligament tears, which can be caused by the strain of an overweight frame that weakens joints, especially in dogs, cost pet owners an average of $2,000.

In 2011 alone, pet insurance claims for diabetes increased by 253 percent, according to Petplan. Claims for heart disease rose by 32 percent, while claims for arthritis soared by 348 percent.

Some of the most popular breeds – golden retrievers, German shepherds, Yorkshire terriers – are susceptible to orthopedic problems for genetic reasons, but these problems occur earlier and more severely with pets that are overweight, said Dr. Jules Benson, vice president of veterinary services at Petplan. Dr. Benson said it is not uncommon to see dogs that are rendered practically immobile by a combination of weight and joint or bone issues.

“The most heartbreaking thing is having to put a pet to sleep just because it can’t mechanically get around anymore,” he said. “They’re otherwise alert and healthy, but their quality of life becomes so low that you have no choice but to put them to sleep.”

Many people find their chubby cats and dogs amusing. But where pet owners see humor in a hefty ball of fur, veterinarians like Dr. Murray of the A.S.P.C.A. see problems that can cause suffering and a shortened life span.

“People may have a sense that their pet is overweight but won’t always realize the consequences,” she said. “An owner might say about their cat, ‘I don’t understand why Fluffy’s coat looks so terrible, why she has these mats over her back and has this smell,’ and I have to point out to them that she’s too overweight to groom herself.”

The problem in pets mirrors that in overweight humans, often stemming from lack of exercise and too many snacks and calorie-dense foods – or, in this case, treats and table scraps – between meals. For veterinarians, broaching the subject of an overweight cat or dog with owners can be a delicate task. Some respond defensively or see it as a reflection of their lack of exercise and struggles with the scale. Bringing it up with an owner requires just as much finesse as pointing out someone’s own weight gain.

“It can be a sensitive issue,” Dr. Murray said. “People feel defensive, as though they’ve done something wrong – that their pet is suffering discomfort because of something they did. It’s not something where you can just leap in and be blunt. You have to be very delicate.”

But getting a portly pet back into shape can carry risks of its own. Hammering the pavement with an overweight lab or boxer that also happens to be arthritic can worsen the condition and cause cruciate ligament tears, akin to an A.C.L. injury in humans, which can happen all too easily in dogs, said Dr. Carol McConnell, chief veterinary medical officer for VPI Pet Insurance.

Pet owners should consult with a veterinarian before putting a pet on a diet. Putting a cat on a strict diet without medical supervision is risky, because cats’ metabolism cannot handle calorie restriction. Unlike dogs, which evolved to hunt as packs and can go days without eating, “cats are usually single predators,” Dr. McConnell said. “They nibble, they eat whatever they can find. They don’t do too well with starvation.”

In cats, severe calorie restriction can signal the body to send stores of fat to the liver, where they can be converted to glucose. But over time, the liver is deluged with fat deposits, crowding out the normal cells of the liver and causing hepatitis.

“If you suddenly change something too drastically, they can get into trouble,” said Dr. McConnell. “You want to make sure the pet is healthy either for calorie restriction or for an exercise plan. Whatever you do, you need to do it gradually.”

murex
Apr 30, 2009

by Lowtax
didn't read

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

if your dog is fat give it parasites

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Some of my cats are getting pretty porky. I call them my emergency rations.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
fun fact: porky pig died yesterday from complications resulting from gastric bypass surgery

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
animals are stupid. they will gorge themselves day in day out if given half a chance. when their owners do the same, just stuffing their fat faces until they die at a mercifully young age, why would you expect them to treat their pets better than themselves?

Brainworm
Mar 23, 2007

...one of these--
Nap Ghost

Summary

One in three pets look like this:

Who's a good little fatty?

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKH-ZXdxRQI

Brainworm
Mar 23, 2007

...one of these--
Nap Ghost

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

animals are stupid. they will gorge themselves day in day out if given half a chance. when their owners do the same, just stuffing their fat faces until they die at a mercifully young age, why would you expect them to treat their pets better than themselves?

Pet food is the tastiest meat you can get in a can.

Brainworm
Mar 23, 2007

...one of these--
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ow2-YdvOElc

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Scruff McGruff suffering from acute arthritis, advised to take fewer bites out of crime.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
My cat has that gross hanging skin around his belly so he looks super fat but I assure you he is healthy and good!

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
dog fat so what

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

My dog is weird, I got her one of those gravity fed perpetual food dispensers because she eats sensible amounts of food at a time and then stops.

Morbid Fiesta
Dec 20, 2008

One of my fav onion headlines was something like "Fat families more likely to have fat pets"

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

Chomp8645 posted:

Scruff McGruff suffering from acute arthritis, advised to take fewer bites out of crime.

Lol

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

quote:

This hints that pet weight issues may be more strongly linked to pet owner and veterinary care than the weight of pet owners per se

No way

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

According to this article, the solution to obesity for both pets and humans is to fill them up with parasites.

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice
my last cat got diabetes and he wasnt even that fat

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

BIG PUFFY NIPS posted:

my last cat got diabetes and he wasnt even that fat

Did you feed him a lot of carbs

BluesShaman
Apr 25, 2016

She wore Blue Velvet.

Proud descendant of the wolf

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012
Jokes on you dogs can't feel guilt.

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

:buddy: GAY 4 ORGANS :buddy:

Brainworm posted:

Pet food is the tastiest meat you can get in a can.

"goddammit rover you gon finish that"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Did you feed him a lot of carbs

well he sure ate a lot of cat nuts and i dunno whats in those so yeah probably

• Locked thread