Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Is Royal Kludge a reliable brand? I'm looking to try out a mechanical keyboard and it seems to have everything I'd want for a decent price. It's on amazon here:

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B08JCV3J5P/?coliid=ITMK96IVCD0V4&colid=1VPO1I22O02RH&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Thanks!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Novel Keys has a sale through Monday for like 30-50% off a lot of keycap sets. Are they any good? I have no idea what separates a $30 set from a $100 set.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

repiv posted:

cherry profile keycaps may not fit properly on K series boards due to the orientation of the switches, but Q and V series don't have that issue

otherwise just make sure the keycap set you get has the right caps for the keyboards layout

What is encompassed by improper fit? Will it be uncomfortable to type with, or will the keys get stuck or something?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Are there good keycaps better than what I’d find for $30 on amazon but cheaper than the $130 sets reddit seems to enjoy? I haven’t been pleased with what I’ve found on amazon: they look good but don’t fit quite right and don’t feel great to type on, like they’re all shaped a little differently and get stuck occasionally. Are there good brands out there that aren’t gmk? I’m really tempted by the gmk stuff, but I don’t want to spend more on keys than I did for the board and switches.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

LionArcher posted:

Cannon keys and novel keys have both the expensive stuff and their own cheaper stuff for more like $70-80 range. And according to keyboard influencers, they’re really solid.

Thanks!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Does Drop have some random sampling of keycaps at a huge discount every weekend? They’ve done it for the past three weeks.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Is Domikey a reputable keycap manufacturer? I’m interested in some of their sets but have been burned before by manufacturers in their price range.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

LionArcher posted:

No because the keyboard snobs don’t use XDA because they all have tiny fingers. Even though it’s the true great profile. (And then they give you poo poo for buying XDA clones, even though there’s like no other options other than Canvas by drop, a lovely company).

Wait, what’s bad about drop?

This feels like when I got into fountain pens and slowly discovered that half the ink on the market was made by insane antisemites.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The apparent official seller of Domikey keycaps, Kprepublic, has advertised a 20% sale this week, but when I attempted to buy an $80 set, I was assessed $30 in taxes. The same set has been on amazon for the same price with a bunch of extra stuff. Is it normal for stuff bought from China to have like 40% taxes, or is there something wrong with their site?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Yeah, I wish their site had sold things for the advertised price. I’ll just buy for the same price from amazon later.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

MuadDib Atreides posted:

What color way are you copping op ?

Single Chip: https://kprepublic.com/products/dom...-xd84-bm60-bm65

I was also interested in their Choco Donut set, but it looks like it was a group buy I missed. I hope they put some on their store, but I don’t know if that’s how group buys work.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Is zFrontier a legit seller? They seem to have stuff in stock that other places don’t, but can’t find anything about them online.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

A while back I asked about good keycaps that aren’t the $150 standard from GMK/Signature Plastics and someone recommended Novelkeys and Cannonkeys. I’ve been using a pbt Olivia set from Novelkeys and it’s terrific. The keys feel great and are 95% of what I’m looking for with an olivia set. I’ll try one from Cannonkeys next.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

change my name posted:

I am not sure why, but CyberpowerPC has dumped its 60% boards on Amazon for only $87 (MSRP is $149): https://www.amazon.com/CyberpowerPC-CK60W-Mechanical-Gaming-Keyboard/dp/B0CKKPX8L7

Fully hot-swappable in a CNCed solid aluminum chassis with Gateron Reds

Can anyone say anything about the quality of these boards? I’d like to try a 60, but not if they catch on fire or something.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

This is a stupid question, but can I put cherry profile keycaps and regular mx switches on a non-low-profile NuPhy? I’ve only just started branching out from keychron stuff and want a ~65% mac-friendly keyboard that feels nice.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Those of you with aluminum boards, what do you do about static electricity? I just got a shock and saw a spark between two keys. I’m worried about it shorting out if I keep doing that. Should I worry about static electricity from walking on carpet harming my board?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I ordered a gem 80 through nuphy’s site on Wednesday and never got a confirmation email. I used Amazon pay and got an email from amazon, but nothing from nuphy. Is that normal?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

To follow up on my last post, I never got any kind of email about it, but my gem 80 arrived in four days.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Is it worth it to get a zoom pad? They seem kind of handy, but what is the quality like?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Is the Mode 65 not actually live today? The site lets me display the order page but not place an order.

EDIT: never mind—orders open at 1:00 edt today.

I AM GRANDO fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Apr 17, 2024