Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA
The transparent colors are nice, but I don't see the hype either. Maybe the price being higher than normal for stuff made in the US is money being well passed on the employees, but otherwise eh on this keyboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

bauer is one of those stupidly hyped names like keycult, it doesn't offer anything worth that price

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Forgot to bring my MK to work today and had to type on a dog poo poo worn out standard logitech keyboard for the first time in years.

Can’t even put words to how utterly frustrating that experience was. Using ortho exclusively for a few years wasn’t doing me favors either.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I am not sure why, but CyberpowerPC has dumped its 60% boards on Amazon for only $87 (MSRP is $149): https://www.amazon.com/CyberpowerPC-CK60W-Mechanical-Gaming-Keyboard/dp/B0CKKPX8L7

Fully hot-swappable in a CNCed solid aluminum chassis with Gateron Reds

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Ah hell I'll buy that for eighty seven dollars.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Thanks. Maybe I’ll crack the keyboard open if I can find a good guide.

A separate small macro button keyboard would be ok too. Maybe even one with custom programmable leds. I’m sure no one makes those though.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

change my name posted:

I am not sure why, but CyberpowerPC has dumped its 60% boards on Amazon for only $87 (MSRP is $149): https://www.amazon.com/CyberpowerPC-CK60W-Mechanical-Gaming-Keyboard/dp/B0CKKPX8L7

Fully hot-swappable in a CNCed solid aluminum chassis with Gateron Reds

Can anyone say anything about the quality of these boards? I’d like to try a 60, but not if they catch on fire or something.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I AM GRANDO posted:

Can anyone say anything about the quality of these boards? I’d like to try a 60, but not if they catch on fire or something.

I know someone who tested one out and thought it was comparable to the Keychron Q4, so good overall

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Just get a CIY GAS67 off AliExpress

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA
I'd actually like to get a GAS67. Why are keyboards with both transparent cases and RGB so hard to find at a decent price? Heck, I love the hell out of my Mini Cat 64 except for the fact that I'd love to get a bandsaw and hack out the cat part of it. The large bongo cat headpiece does not play nice with the things I like to keep on my desk.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
What is the experience and reputation with Ergomech.store? I'm finally ready to buy a Neodox, but I'm unable to change the shipping option to something cheaper, or the payment option from Paypal to Visa, and that gives me a bad feeling.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

I AM GRANDO posted:

The features look decent from a glance, but it lacks a lot of newer, modern enthusiast features. It's tray mounted (as opposed to gasket, leaf spring, etc) and from the product images doesn't support alternate layouts (split backspace, split right shift, tsangan bottom row, ISO).

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

The 8bitdo board is on sale for $90. It's great and what I'm using as my daily driver

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
(y - mx)*(1/(inf))*(PV/RT)*(2.718)*(V/I)

I got a Glove80 a couple weeks ago and can recommend it. Check out reviews/yt's on it. It's $$$$, but I figure I'm not in too deep into this hobby all said, so I might as well get the endgame split bluetooth.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
For a keyboard like the CyberPowerInc CK-60, do you need to have the software always running for the layers and macros and remapping to work? Or are they written to the keyboard itself?

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Usually that kinda stuff is written to the controller in the keyboard. At least in QMK and VIA(L) cases

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Dirac Fourier posted:

What do you guys think about the Bauer Lite from Omnitype? They keep sending it to my inbox for a Black Friday sale. My first impression is it doesn't really make sense to me. $120 for a 65% barebones plastic kit that doesn't even have a knob or RGB. I feel like I'm missing something here. I see it's made in the USA, so maybe that's a bonus for some buyers.

Here's the link: https://omnitype.com/pages/bauer-lite

it would have been cool 3 years ago. Now it's just kind of tired.

oh hey if yall like Alice-ish layout the MGA mini-usb version is $88 right now.
You still need to buy a plate though.

https://sneakbox.com/products/mga-standard-usb-mini-bundle

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Nov 22, 2023

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Ihmemies posted:

I spilled a bit of milk on my corsair k70 rgb keyboard. The volume scroll has been quite sticky after this. It works, but it's signifcantly higher resistance when adjusting volume. How good/bad idea it would be to open the keyboard and try to do Something to the problem?

Like, is it better to live with that "feature", or try to fix it..

Edit: also does anyone do some kind of "macro" keyboards which come to for example left side of the keyboard.. more hotkeys would be sweet.

The Corsair K95 is probably what you want, but I think it's discontinued now.
When I played WoW I loved mine.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
The K100 also has macro keys. I was going to return mine because of iQUE issues but ended up keeping it.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Keychron Q10 (alice) arrived, thought I’d give it a bit of a first day review.

- Mich heavier than I was expecting. Not a bad thing, but I was surprised.
- No quality complaints at this point, build quality is good. Hopefully it continues to function well.
- I was hoping to swap a couple of ISO related keys but didn’t realise they’d have a different shaped profile. I can live with that.
- The gappy layout where the slant returns to horizontal has not been a problem so far, and I can type quickly straight away
- The M-keys are throwing off my locating for my left hand as I keep thinking they’re tab etc. will need time to adjust
-Mildly bothered that option is not next to command but I’m getting used to it
- Surprised to find two B keys, might map the right hand one so I have a double N instead
- I turned the lights off immediately and may never turn them on again
- I need to buy a wrist rest to save my RSI. The curve and laptops have them built in and I hadn’t realised how important it was

Generally positive and it got me up and running again fast which was just what I was after :)

Edit: btw any poo poo typing on this post is because I’m on my phone, not the keyboard

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
For wireless keyboard, are there any other low-latency solutions other than Lightspeed? I am very interested in a wireless mechanical keyboard but the whole host of issues with Bluetooth means I am not interested in a Bluetooth keyboard. The only lightspeed keyboard with full-sized switches and a numpad (G613) unfortunately uses Romer-G which have the unappealing description of "mushy browns".

Chuu fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Nov 23, 2023

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Chuu posted:

For wireless keyboard, are there any other low-latency solutions other than Lightspeed? I am very interested in a wireless mechanical keyboard but the whole host of issues with Bluetooth means I am not interested in a Bluetooth keyboard. The only lightspeed keyboard with full-sized switches and a numpad (G613) unfortunately uses Romer-G which have the unappealing description of "mushy browns".

Yeah, there's plenty. Most that focus on low latency tend to be on gaming peripheral company keyboards, but not all. The rtings list seems to be the best general resource for looking at latency with a wireless dongle but you do need to be aware that their site gives you like 3 looks at it before asking you to pay for an account. I was able to look again on another browser/PC so it's just cookies and not an IP limit I guess.

https://www.rtings.com/keyboard/tests/latency

Hit the top of the column for single-key latency receiver so it orders it by that. The top three are Razer, Corsair, ASUS, and Nuphy is pretty high up, too.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rexxed posted:

Yeah, there's plenty. Most that focus on low latency tend to be on gaming peripheral company keyboards, but not all. The rtings list seems to be the best general resource for looking at latency with a wireless dongle but you do need to be aware that their site gives you like 3 looks at it before asking you to pay for an account. I was able to look again on another browser/PC so it's just cookies and not an IP limit I guess.

https://www.rtings.com/keyboard/tests/latency

Hit the top of the column for single-key latency receiver so it orders it by that. The top three are Razer, Corsair, ASUS, and Nuphy is pretty high up, too.

Thanks, this is super helpful.

I'm kind of surprised how hard it is to find a good wireless full sized mechanical keyboard aimed at professionals. Full size keyboard, full sized switches, tactile switches, removable wrist-wrest if one provided, good build quality. I feel like there is a real untapped market here.

Chuu fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Nov 23, 2023

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Ihmemies posted:

A separate small macro button keyboard would be ok too. Maybe even one with custom programmable leds. I’m sure no one makes those though.

If detached and (mostly software) customizable is what you want, embrace a product driven from streamers need for showmanship.

https://www.elgato.com/us/en

One of the stream deck models may make ya happy.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
After a week or so of the Logitech G PRO TKL, I'm actually starting to like it a lot. The blue switches in it are as nice as the last couple products I've used with blues and browns, I got the software/lighting kinda straightened out (I mean I run single color 99 times out of 100, so it just took a little tweaking to get right), and the size and layout are quite satisfactory. All in all for $80, it's decent and does what I need it to do.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

I'd like to get into more couch PC gaming and was wondering if there's any alternatives to the Razer Turret considering it's high price ($330 CAD) and smaller mouse area.

The Corsair K63 Keyboard/Lapboard combo doesn't seem viable anymore. It's sold out basically everywhere except a single used one on Amazon Canada for like $180. I'm assuming they stopped producing it?

Are there any other options that aren't DIY or those giant expensive Couchmaster things where you still have to provide your own keyboard and mouse?

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I'd like to get into more couch PC gaming and was wondering if there's any alternatives to the Razer Turret considering it's high price ($330 CAD) and smaller mouse area.

The Corsair K63 Keyboard/Lapboard combo doesn't seem viable anymore. It's sold out basically everywhere except a single used one on Amazon Canada for like $180. I'm assuming they stopped producing it?

Are there any other options that aren't DIY or those giant expensive Couchmaster things where you still have to provide your own keyboard and mouse?

After googling for a bit, it doesn't look like anyone besides Razer is making a setup with a keyboard anymore. Corsair still has their setup on their site, but no price or "Where to Buy" listed at all. Good sign it's discontinued.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Koskun posted:

After googling for a bit, it doesn't look like anyone besides Razer is making a setup with a keyboard anymore. Corsair still has their setup on their site, but no price or "Where to Buy" listed at all. Good sign it's discontinued.

Yeah I might just bite the bullet and get the Turret if it comes on sale. The Couchmaster things would be an okay solution but buying that plus a decent wireless keyboard and mouse is going to cost about the same but be less portable.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
i'm gonna be honest, razer sucks

mewse
May 2, 2006

Wondering if anyone has some insight on remapping keys - I'm finally taking the plunge on trying to swap left ctrl and capslock for ergonomic and gaming reasons, and it's proving more annoying than I thought it would be.

On my home computer I installed powertoys for Win11 and did the remapping, but the remap doesn't apply in remote desktop sessions which is very weird.

On my work computer, I've installed a sysinternals tool called "caps2ctrl" that does the remapping via some sort of driver filter and is more robust than the powertools solution - it works with remote desktop sessions - but it kills capslock entirely and gives me two left ctrl keys. And of course there is no source code available to make my own with whatever remapping I want.

So does anyone know (without using firmware or hardware like VIA/qmk/tmk/usb2usb) is it possible for robust remapping with just software?

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I think you have to use a hardware/firmware remap if you want it to work in rdp but honestly, it seems hit or miss even then depending on the software for me too.

I think you can do registry edits too that do it?

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
Do you really need CapsLock? I've always considered dual-Ctrl more useful feature.

You can also do this with registry edit. This converts CapsLock to Ctrl, but it can probably work in the other direction too.

code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard Layout]
"Scancode Map"=hex:00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,02,00,00,00,1d,00,3a,00,00,00,00,00
https://superuser.com/questions/550679/where-can-i-find-windows-keyboard-scancode-registry-information

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Saukkis posted:

Do you really need CapsLock? I've always considered dual-Ctrl more useful feature.

You can also do this with registry edit. This converts CapsLock to Ctrl, but it can probably work in the other direction too.

code:

"Scancode Map"=hex:00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,02,00,00,00,1d,00,3a,00,00,00,00,00
https://superuser.com/questions/550679/where-can-i-find-windows-keyboard-scancode-registry-information

In this same vein, do I bind F13 to Caps Lock, and then can use F13 in any application that recognizes it. This is a practice that stems from the Ventrilo days, and would then be able to use caps lock/F13 for PTT.

code:

"Scancode Map"=hex:00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,02,00,00,00,64,00,3a,00,00,00,00,00

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Ihmemies posted:

A separate small macro button keyboard with custom programmable leds. I’m sure no one makes those though.

i want this for hebrew

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

https://www.amazon.com/Keychron-Mechanical-Keyboard-Programmable-Double-Shot/dp/B0BLH8BGZ8?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1

any reason not to grab this / is there anything better? Don't really care about wireless or backlights, and prefer a full size.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

It seems like a pretty decent deal, it supports QMK/VIA for remapping. Lacks hotswap for swapping out keyswitches if that matters, though.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Ihmemies posted:

How small do you need?

gnatalie
Jul 1, 2003

blasting women into space
after using a logitech k350 for ~12 years i decided bite the bullet (my kid spilling water on it certainly helped) and get a realish keyboard, logitech g715 tactile. yes, it's expensive but i dig the aesthetic and am already in their ecosystem.

after using it for a few days, geez i was a dummy for so long. it feels soooo good, definitely glad i got the tactile switches.

now i'm hooked and gonna get the 8bitdo retro + brown switches for work

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Midjack posted:

How small do you need?

this small https://keyhive.xyz/shop/uno-single-key-keyboard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Any of you guys got an HHKB (or any Topre I guess)? If so have you done any of the "make it a bit quieter" fuckery shown here -
unrealkeyboards.com/pages/topre-modification-guide

I realise that both are unlikely, but it's worth a try eh.
Just wondering if it's worth the effort, and cost, before I do it

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Nov 25, 2023