Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

Mostly, when writing emails, just for typing certain acronyms that always come up. Sometimes for typing server names, but there's no real reason for those to be in all caps :shrug:

I’ve just been staring at this for like two minutes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Can anyone recommend a good source for high quality caps that would fit a Majestouch 2 cherry brown?

Quality and looks are tops but if there is a black friday sale option that would be interesting too.

I know almost nothing about keyboards so please talk to me like I’m a 5 year old…

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

LochNessMonster posted:

There are 2 common materials used for key caps, ABS and PBT. The former can produce a little bit of “shine” after use, quality is great on either materials so it’s more a personal preference. Don’t worry about it really, just pick a set you like.

Are the default filco caps ABS? That's actually why I was looking at replacing the keys, they got super shiny over time, as if covered in oil or something, but it doesn't go away when cleaned. Maybe that's just normal? It does look kinda cool, I guess, but people who come over probably think they look oily.

The caps still work fine after a decade though besides that. In fact the keyboard has been a total champion, works like the day I bought it 10 years ago, however I did kill an earlier Filco by pouring a margarita on it inadvertently... anyways...

Is the Majestouch 2 still an ok keyboard or is there better stuff out there? I know that's a super loaded question. I see there are things like metal chassis, but I don't know if that actually improves anything or just cool factor. That's where I am getting the most confused, a lot of keyboard stuff is super hobbyist, which is cool, but the line where something is functional versus purely for aesthetics is very blurry.

I'm abso-loving-lutely not going to solder by own keyboard lol but I am open to other poo poo or maybe even a new keyboard I Guess. One thing I keep noticing is that the keycaps are super expensive, so maybe there are ways to buy a better, newer keyboard with a set of high end caps and not pay too much more than a base cap set?

Gwaihir posted:

https://kbdfans.com/collections/keycaps has a very large selection in various styles. If you want caps similar to the ones that came with your Filco, look at "Cherry" or "OEM" profile ones. Another option is big thick old school style caps like these: https://kbdfans.com/collections/sa-profile/products/in-stockmaxkey-foundation-sa-keycaps-set

They're taller and more sculpted than OEM style keys, and they'll have a deeper sound.

Drop.com sells mostly a similar style called mt3, which I personally enjoy a lot, but they're also a bit pricey if you're just getting in to it.

Thanks!

the MT3 keys are cool, are they all the same besides styling? I might grab one, or I also see that kdbfans is doing a black friday sale, so maybe I'll wait for that.

Money is no object I just want to get the best and not feel buyer's remorse later so if there's some objectively best keycaps I would probably just get that...

This MT3 looks pretty cool:

https://drop.com/buy/drop-matt3o-mt3-3277-custom-keycap-set

I really like the Japanese keycap set but it's sold out :pressf:

Random additional question: back when I bought my Majestouch 2 (almost exactly 10 years ago) topre keyboards were cool, is that... uh.. still cool? Or... they were stupid loving expensive and I didn't really understand how they were better, but I'm open to it, I guess.

I'm completely open to spending a lot on a keyboard, if there's anything just completely out there, super expensive but super good I'm open to looking at it.

Thread friends, show me the exact keyboard you would get that is, say $200-$500 for example, or maybe higher if you can convince me it's worth it

Super bonus question: is bluetooth just as good as a wired keyboard? Should I be angling for one?

Taima fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Nov 22, 2021

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Anyone have a vote for the best keyboard for a mix of about 70% productivity and 30% gaming? Actually forget gaming. Productivity only is fine

Price is kind of no object but if it's expensive there should be good rationale for the spend.

I'm also ok with doing a custom keyboard if, again, there is strong justification for the price. I have never soldered before but I own this unit:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000AS28UC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Which I have never used in my life but maybe this is a good project to learn?

any suggestions please :)

e: One more thing, I have used mechanical keyboards for about 12 years (my first was a Filco Majestouch 2 which I still use) and it has cherry browns.

What are the best switches these days...? I like the tactile bump on the browns but I've only tried browns and blues and my information is like a decade old at this point...

Taima fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Feb 5, 2024

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Thank you my friend! Appreciate you!

e: holy poo poo this is incredibly confusing there are infinite options oh my gahhh

Does the accent material make a big difference? I kinda like the idea of the brass, but drat, is that 30 clams for what looks like a little strip on the top?

Taima fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Feb 7, 2024

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

LionArcher posted:

Accent on sonnet makes no difference and is just style. Weight bottom makes a sound difference not really a feel difference. Plate options makes a feel difference.

Well poo poo.

Does anyone have an opinion on the best Mode Keyboard arrangement then for the best feel/weight then?

LionArcher posted:

Best tactile switch are still boba U4T’s. I prefer the 62 gram weighted ones. I’m slowly putting them in every board I use, and buy back ups because nothing feels as good to me out of the box with no work.

These aren't available with my Mode keyboard, the choices are:

Obscura Linear
Tomorrow Tactile
Anthracite Silent Tactile
Lotus Linear

Or should I not choose my switches from here?

Are the stabilizers and foam inserts worth it?

Dude. This is loving insane!!! I have no idea what I'm doing

Like, bottom line, and this is a question for everyone: is there a way to get a keyboard of the quality of this Mode keyboard, but prebuilt and maybe cheaper? I'm not aghast at the money, though its definitely a lot to pay $500 for a keyboard. I'm just wondering, since I don't really need the customization, if there's a configured alternative that might also shave off a few bucks on account of being premade instead of a bespoke dealie?

If this is the price that needs to be paid for top quality, so be it. I have been using my Filco Majestouch V2 with browns for over 10 years and will likely be a similar situation with this next one, so money is no object, but that doesn't mean I'm trying to light money on fire if its possible to get the same quality. And right now the customization that Mode offers is overwhelming me, for better or worse.

If there was a keyboard of Mode quality that had a top class tactile switch and I could just slap in a drat shopping cart without having to make 1000 choices that is sounding pretty good.

Taima fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Feb 11, 2024

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

BabyRyoga posted:

It seems like everyone buying prebuilt boards these days is just getting a Keychron in whatever denomination they decide suits their needs.

I'm waiting for a board I got on pre-order (Zoom 75) to get here from China to do another build, those have been pretty drat popular over 2023 in the scene, and they might have another Group Buy or something in the next few months, so that might be something to look into if you still feel like doing a full custom build. You'll get the board for somewhere between 200-250, so you can fill it in with U4T or Oil Kings at around .60 per switch, and be at around $300 and only needing to buy whichever keycap set you like to finish the build. You can spend anywhere from 20 bucks to 200 there, YMMV on buying a 20 or 30 dollar set from Aliexpress, but there are definitely some sets that are almost perfect clones of GMK sets costing 6 times the amount on there.

But, the brand that puts out the Zoom series is also just came out with this https://meletrix.com/products/boog75-prebuilt, which is a prebuilt board that uses new Magnetic switches that can be customized at the software level. It looks pretty interesting.

Thank you for the help! I think what is confusing me here is the price difference. It seems like you really have to try, to spend more than like 3 bills on a premade unit. The boog 75 you linked is 229.

But if you do a Mode Keyboard you are looking at like 500 dollars.

That's where I'm most curious about; what are these people getting for nearly double the price?

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Oh ok, that makes perfect sense thank you!

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

I have been asking the thread for keyboard advice so I just wanted to let the people who helped me know what I got in the end. And wanted to issue a final thank you for what was a very confusing process.

After examining Mode Keyboards, as per the amazing posters who helped me with that, I decided it was just a little too rich for my blood. I don't know. $50 for a piece of copper? The whole thing just felt like a terribly poor value and grasping at 2% gains. That being said I totally get the desire for the best and if anyone is spending 500-700$ on a keyboard, more power to you.

In the end I made the choice of going with the OnePlus 81 Pro with the tactile switches. Seems interesting, unique, wireless looks solid, aluminum chassis, and has some specific features I like/need, such as a nice button to switch between Mac and PC, which is nice for my daily workflow. The keycaps are also intriguing (the marble-mallow caps; such a lame name I know).

So that's it. If anyone wants to hate on (or cosign) the 81 Pro I am curious what you think. The 81 Pro was on sale for 199, which helped too.

I am honestly glad to get this done with, the keyboard space is incredibly confusing and I get the impression that it is more of a hobby than an actual product to perform tasks, for many people, which made the whole thing difficult to gauge because people are seemingly willing to spend almost infinite money on what are ultimately... more like bespoke hobby interests than "I need a keyboard for typing things good" if that makes any sense. From what I can gather, you are beginning to seriously grasp at straws past say, $250-300. Definitely curious if anyone disagrees on that though!

PS I got a real kick out of watching the reviews for the 81 Pro? People were getting extremely upset that, I guess, onePlus was using red for tactile switches when its normally another color or something? I am amazed at how deep the keyboard rabbit hole goes, and how passionate people get about them. It's an interesting space.

e: what's the best place for fun keycaps and knobs? I want to replace the knob on the 81 Pro, any opinions?

Dude custom keyboards are loving hilarious, what in the loving world lol

Taima fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Feb 19, 2024

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

That's honestly a really good point. And I do believe in that concept for other things; for example I use a Herman Miller Embody. I don't mess around with my back, that's all there is to it. But you make a good point that keyboards are kind of the same thing (preservation/maximization of an essential body part).

Btw I checked out that Ergodox keyboard you referenced and it's crazy! Do you recommend split layouts? I did notice there are tons of keyboards that do that, including on the keychron website. They just look like they require you to unlearn muscle memory that has been accumulated over decades... I had a brief phase as well, where I was looking at those keyboards they use in court? The fast type ones for the court transcription people? But that looked even harder to learn!

I just hope i'm not being an old person about it- if you think I am, and that sticking to a conventional keyboard layout is objectively inferior, I would be curious to know if you agree with that. I've found that the older I get, the more effort I have to put into trying new things. But if it's worth it, it's worth it, and I never want to become one of those people who gets old and immediately yells at clouds when anything new comes along (have noticed many of us on this forum have been doing that more and more as we all age).

If you had to buy a prebuilt keyboard for under or around $300, what would you get?

When this OnePlus 81 Pro keyboard arrives (which is clearly an upgraded and/or modified Q1 Pro) I'm going to have buyers remorse and wish I bought something better. What a pain lol. That's why I usually just buy the "best thing" from the outset, but I found it very difficult to lay down $500+ for a keyboard without having a firm understanding of why I'm doing that...

The thing that really confuses me about the OnePlus keyboard is the options. There are two varieties. One is $199 one is $219. The $219 version only comes in linear, but it has the "marble mallow" keycaps that I really wanted. While the $199 version has PBT caps, but tactile switches, which I prefer. So I had to order the cheaper version. But I really wanted to try the mallow keycaps. Is there anything aftermarket that is similar to the marble mallow caps? Everyone who uses them online seems to love them, so I was very hyped on getting some- but I assume that soon they will be available aftermarket? Hopefully...

Taima fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Feb 20, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Saukkis posted:

Amazing words

Hey I just wanted to say that I initially missed this post but you were so cool and took time out of your day to respond to me in depth like that is enormously useful. I've read it now and learned a ton and have so much to think about. Thank you!