Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

so these past few months i've been looking into mech keyboards and customization, and from what i can tell it's very expensive but the ability to configure everything to your specifications is the pay offs. i'm def interested in trying it out, and i almost bought the gmk lazurite set because i thought it was pretty... except i then balked when i realized i'd be spending a couple hundo on keycaps while waiting for a year+, which i'm not quite ready to pull the trigger on. i'd been tempted to get the kbdfans case too, but i realized i know nothing about putting together a keyboard from scratch.

anyways i was wondering what was a good 60% diy, preferably with bluetooth and hotswappable, that i could start out with. i figure i could use it for my laptop and work, and i'd really like to try and see which clicky switches sound the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=535Zy_rf4NU

I haven't done a full custom, but I will when I have the cash to do what I want. Soldering is not hard, don't think that is a barrier to entry. You can learn how to do it in an afternoon. Long wait times are normal, and group buys are a pain in the rear end. Switch testers don't give a great impression as you need to feel multiple keys at a time to get a good feel. There's tons of good YouTube channels and small sites to learn more from.

Good luck!

i would like to learn soldering for other things (i have been wanting to do those gba upgrade mods for a while now because i still have my old gba and sp, and those require some soldering) but at the moment i don't have the room for it. i've also been watching a few youtubers, like TaeKeyboards, but i will take any channel suggestions.

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

You can save a lot of money if you don't care about fancy keycaps.

No one can resist the call of fancy keycaps.

i got into this by first falling down into the artisan keycap rabbit hole. i am the ultimate sucker for fancy keycaps, although i have to admit some of popular design aesthetics seem really odd to me.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Well the fun part is figuring all this out for yourself.
But here, let me give you a jumping off point:

Tofu60 case on KBDfans.
There's a lot of different PCBs that will work with it, including the DZ60 that is also available from KBDfans and some new Bluetooth ones like the Polarity Works BT60.

Welcome to the hobby
Everything is expensive.
Everything is out of stock.
Everything is usually available on reddit mechmarket for twice the price of expensive.

e: oh also, the Bakeneko is also a great starter board. Much better than the Tofu actually.
https://cannonkeys.com/products/bakeneko-60
It's not in stock, but it should be coming back.

thanks for the suggestions! i think i'll wait for the bakeneko to come back, i'm not really in any urgent need of a keyboard right now. i actually bought a corsair k100 earlier in the year, before i found out that i could have built a custom keyboard. :v: i don't think i'll give it up because i do like a full size keyboard and those seem to be harder to get in the mech keyboard community.

by the way, what are the differences between keycaps? i keep seeing mentions of stuff like mt3 and ePBT and so on, i was able to figure out what GMKs are, but i'm still kind of fuzzy on a lot of the buzzwords i see dropped a lot.

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

are there issues with keychron? i was looking into them for the 60% bluetooth model, which i was planning to pair with my surface.

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

i'm interested in the nuphy wireless kb (not sure if i want 60% or 75% though) since i'd been holding off on getting a keychron and this seems like a good alternative.

my only question is that will i always have to use low profile switches and caps for it, or could i swap it out with regular sized switches and caps like a weirdo?

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

teethgrinder posted:

I can't answer your question, but the appeal of my Nuphy F1 is that it sits on top of my MacBook keyboard. Regular switches would be way too high.

oh yeah, i get that and think it's quite neat - one reason why the nuphy appeals to me is that i plan on using it for my macbook at work, now that i'm back at the office. i don't really see myself setting it on top of the keyboard, since i want to have my laptop to the side as a second monitor while i work.

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

my solution for this dilemma was to get the air75 and halo65. problem solved!

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

i got my nuphy air75 and halo65 today - i decided to go with baby kangaroo for the halo, and it feels and sounds amazing. i’ve had (and currently use) corsair mech keyboards but the differences between them are like night and day.

i also got browns for my air75 bc i didn’t want to disturb people at work but i wish i had gone with blues because i really do like the clicky sound and feel.

anyways i have a feeling that i will probably be swapping out my corsair k100 sometime in the future.

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

im slutt

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

does anyone have any suggestions for a num macropad, preferably with media controls and a knob?

alternatively has there been any full sized keyboard runs out there?

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

i use a murphpad at work as a numpad/macropad for solidworks and it rules. has a knob but no media controls

unfortunately it looks a little bit too daunting for me to put together, but i think it's definitely something to try out in the future.

Opioid posted:

I’ve had my eye on this one for a while but haven’t pulled the trigger

https://www.keebmonkey.com/products/megalodon-triple-knob-macro-pad

oh i'd been eyeing that too, but i've also been considering the 30% version.

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

i love using my nuphy air75 as an alternative to the macbook pro, but i also went with browns.

btw each nuphy has its own anime girl. i also got the halo65 and that had a different one on there.

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

which switches are the best if you just like to make noise

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

these are all very good suggestions but have many questions about this board

also for the new model m, are the keycaps swappable or will i have to stick with what they give me?

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

i think i'll probably get one of the new model Ms for the nostalgic factor, i probably banged on those keyboards a lot as a kid in the 90s. my mom used to take me to work with her sometimes where she was an accountant and most of the times i would spend my time in a empty cubicle on the computer. and if i truly don't like it, i think my mom would probably appreciate it because she really doesn't like how 'modern' everything feels now.

anyways i finally bit the bullet and got a d60lite kit and some novelkeys kalih navies. i ordered around 80 switches, that should be enough for the keyboard, right?

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

i like the numpad because i use it as a shortcuts pad

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

Unsinkabear posted:

Protip: this option is not exclusive to big dumb full size keyboards. You can still do this using a separate numpad on the left.

In fact, many of the cheapest discrete numpads are macro pads, so you can actually do it better!

which ones would you suggest

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

thanks for all the suggestions, they've been good. i've noticed a lot of them aren't hotswap or require some soldering knowledge which i don't have atm. i'm going to assume that the market is too niche for it to be worth it isn't custom made to order in groupbuys and stuff?

mariooncrack posted:

Have you checked out the megalodon macro pads? They're similarly priced to an assembled murphpad.

https://www.keebmonkey.com/products/megalodon-triple-knob-macro-pad

They make a few different models too if this one isn't quite what you want.

i actually ordered one through drop last year but it says it's not shipping until february.... lmao

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

read the description where it describes it as nostalgic and my immediate thought was “the gamecube isn’t that old” until i remembered it was 20 years ago

:negative:

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

if she likes kitties epomaker has some cute keycaps

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

i’ve used nuphy for my work macbook with no issues

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

well i may have messed up my corsair k100 by accidentally knocking my drink on it. i tried cleaning it as best as i could without taking it out and putting in some rubbing alcohol, which cleared up stuck keys but now some keys are setting off the switch next to it when i press down. i've unplugged it and hoping that letting it dry further will resolve the issue, but i think i might start looking at another keyboard as my main.

(hooray for this hobby meaning i have plenty back up keyboards to use)

i'm looking for a full size 100% keyboard with floating caps, media controls, and a knob. i haven't really seen anything that fits it exactly and tbh if the k100 is truly beyond saving and i need something soon then i will also settle for TKL, but would rather just go with a full size. i would prefer it to have a passthrough port too.

it'd be mainly used for gaming but i also do some video/image editing for fun once in a while and also writing. i like my keys to be clicky and would like to try the tactile bobas.

if there's nothing that really fits what i'm looking for i'm okay with going with a corsair and would probably just get a k70 since i realized i never really used the k100 special features (macro keys and the profile knob) but i also see that there's a k70 max which is twice the price of a regular k70 i guess because of the magnetic switches? i see steelseries also has a model with those features too.

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

denereal visease posted:

Hey thread, looking for a keyboard recommendation after one of our kittens destroyed my Corsair Strafe recently.

Criteria
  • Use Case: 60% office & 40% gaming
  • Must include number pad
  • Cherry MX Silent or equivalent switches
Is there anything readily available on the market that meets those criteria?

I picked up a Corsair K95 RGB Platinum XT with MX Speed Silver switches but it is far too loud & annoying, it's getting returned to Microcenter this weekend.

when you say number pad do you mean a full-size 100% keyboard, or would you be fine with something that condenses the layout like a 96% or 1800 would? if you're looking for a full-size board, as far as i know keychron is the only one that makes a full sized hotswappable pcb, so you can put in whatever switches you want. i don't know if anything has improved over the years but it was suggested to get them through amazon or a third party retailer so you wouldn't have to deal with keychron customer service as it was notoriously bad.

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

asking again if anyone knows if there are any 100% hot swappable boards that are low profile/floating keys with a usb passthrough and media controls.

there are plenty of “gamer” keyboards but the only one with the switches i want (tactile and clicky) is the steel series 7 with blue switches. i had been looking at the magnetic hall pro version for a moment but i realized that they were more linear than tactile and not noisy at all.

tbh it’s probably cheaper than if i went this route but that’s my end game.

(i do have some doio macro pads but the only tkl boards i’ve seen with floating caps/low profile has been drop. i’ve had no issues with ordering keycaps or desk mats from them but i’m a bit iffy on their keyboards)

on a unrelated note, i ordered a gem80 from nuphy and it should be coming today.

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

gnatalie posted:

let us know how it goes! i'm torn between the gem80 and sonnet

i haven't really taken it out for a run but i have pulled it out of the box. it feels and looks nice, and if it weren't for my requirements i could see myself using it as a daily driver. was surprised to see it came barebones as when i got the halo60 it came prebuilt, but it also comes with small toolbox. this would make a perfect entry keyboard since it's less expensive then jumping for a mode board imo. i went with the nuphy lemon switches because as i said before, i like them loud and clicky, but kinda wishing i had tried to get bobas now. otoh they were offering the switches half off with the board so i figured why not!

denereal visease posted:

Hey, thanks for your response!

It doesn't have to be 100% fullsize, but I do use the numpad very often for work so TKL options aren't viable.

It sounds like there's nothing readily available on the market that'll do what I want, so I guess I'm looking at a custom or semi-custom keyboard (eg, Keychron + switch swap + caps) to get what I'm after.

if there is a tkl you really like, you could try getting a macropad. you can find a bunch of different kinds if you search "macro keyboard" and as a bonus you can put away the numpad when you're not using it, freeing up desk space if you need it. most of them are wired but i have seen some wireless bluetooth models before.

it's cheaper to buy a prebuilt off one on the market and if you haven't tried it yet, you could go down to best buy and give the keyboard testers they have out there a whirl. they're always going to be slightly loud though, so if you want really a really quiet keyboard you're going to have to do the custom route. even then there's always going to be some noise, so if you're looking for a completely silent keyboard it's going to be a lot of work.

i'd also suggest looking up sound test videos like these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClkOYVyMCmw

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

Really liking the gem80! i'm surprised at how heavy it is considering that the bottom half is plastic but it feels like i could use this as a weapon in a emergency. everything works and there's rgb - i'm pretty happy with it but tbh i consider myself a casual/newbie hobbyist since i still haven't done any heavy modding/customization. (i have a kbd67 lite kit that i still haven't put together yet)

i think it's pretty good for it's price point ($150 barebones wired, $170 barebones bluetooth) and it's a good entry level board considering how expensive things can get. also i like blue, so being able to have a blue keyboard is a plus for me. i've noticed that the switches are visible so i can see the yellows of the nuphy lemons underneath the keycaps.

my only issues so far has been that sometimes when typing i end up with double the letters - i don't know if it's just a bluetooth issue, something with the keyboard itself, or me not used to these switches. i ordered some boba u4t so we'll see, and i'll probably try typing wired too. i might also look into a set of clicky switches because i like the noise. also i was struggling with getting the switch for the caps lock key in, i figured out i had to flip the switch upside down to get it to fit but that took a while. not sure if that's normal?

also the gem80 didn't come with any aanime girl mascot packaging like with the halo65 and air75 i had before. it's kind of disappointing because i thought it was funny.

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

Badger of Basra posted:

okay question - I would like to have a fun keyboard like this but I also want a fullsize one, with the numpad and everything. and it seems like Mode, Zoom, and Cannon don't have any of those available. is there somewhere else I should be looking? or am I getting to the place where I will have to build it myself? in which case I'll just buy a keychron or something

meletrix has two fullsized keyboards in the works right now - the Zoom Max and the Zoom 109. the 109 is supposed to come out this year although i don't know when. there isn't much about it than i can find because it looks like it's actually a branch of the zoom max. i'm guessing the 109 is for people who didn't like the max design in the renders, because it has a very retro aesthetic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

Cabbages and Kings posted:

Ignored my RSI too long; now trying to learn to 10-finger-type like a grown up, on a split Moonlander. Slow going but my hands are already happier.

Still have a Huntsman v2 here (with a busted F diode, pay respects) to cheat on typing with as needed, and for gaming, a thing I basically do not do.

I like the moonlander a lot. The DOIO numpad is sorta needless but I like a physical volume button and I have it mapped to do a bunch of interesting things. The software loving sucks, you have to flash it yourself, I couldn't get that to work in Windows and my efforts led to me loving up my USB layer with Zadig so bad that I had to reformat.

the doio worked fine in the beginning but i guess the latest VIA update did something. i tried flashing it by following the instructions, but it just doesn't work and i think it may be because i have V1. so if i want one that works with VIA, i have to buy a new one lmao.

i like my gem80 but it think i'll use it for when i want to focus on writing, since my doio just doesn't work and i'm so used to having a numpad. i ended up grabbing a steelseries apex 7 because the clicky version was $100 bucks and i had a $100 amazon gift card from my birthday. plus i love clicky switches. it's also a lot smaller than the corsair k100 that i had before and then realized i didn't need all the fancy extras except for a knob and media controls.

still probably going to get the zoom max and zoom 109 when they come out lol