Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

I'd also love to add anyone's customized keyboard to the OP, with a little quote if you like.

This is a Cooler Master Quickfire XT with browns. I was pretty boring with the custom caps since I have little colour sense, but I really like the front printing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib
Has anyone tried the Logitech Romer-G switches? I saw a TKL keyboard with them, and might pick it up, since my current home keyboard is feeling too big.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

axeil posted:

Otherwise, about how long does it take to adjust to using a mechanical keyboard? It started to feel a bit better as I used it yesterday evening but it still feels weird.

When I switched from a generic membrane keyboard to a basic mechanical keyboard with cherry brown switches, I didn't notice a huge difference, save for the noise from bottoming out the keys. It was only after a couple weeks, when I tried a lovely keyboard at school that I really understood how nice it was

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib
So, after getting my front printed caps a while ago, decided to pop in to Massdrop, and see what they have there, and I find these pretty things. Is there anything I should know about Massdrop, as someone outside the US, before ordering?

I've also been using a Logitech G410 for the past week or so, and I can't stand it. Their Romer-G switches are tactile, non-clicky switches, and I wish I were able to articulate exactly why I dislike them so much. The actuation point on them is just really indistinct. Not like the browns I'm used to. It's like all the resistance is right at the top, and by the time the key moves at all, it actuates, but the actuation bump is really big, compared to the key travel. If anyone actually cares about it, maybe some more directed questions will help my description. Back to the store it goes, and I'll have to keep searching for a tenkeyless board.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

Speaking of that, I was considering updating the recommended picks in the OP. Are there any boards people would suggest I put in there?

I want to make sure to have options to target people who want to spend a bit less on a board, but still make sure they get decent build quality. A few more towards the more typical 150 dollar price point is OK too.

A more budget 100% board would be a nice addition. I'm nowhere near as familiar with brands as others here, but I think someone said Cooler Master makes decent basic keyboards. I'm pretty happy with mine in the OP, but then again, I've only tried a few different ones, and none of the really nice ones.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

surebet posted:

wasd has no backlighting, you're thinking of the extremely similar code keyboard, also sold by wasd

What are the differences between them, other than the backlighting?

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

teethgrinder posted:

I guess the CODE has a slightly different backplate, and a luminous layer behind the keys to go with the lighting.

The CODE defaults with lovely thin ABS caps, WASD has options or even no caps.

Thanks. I'll probably get a bare WASD when I can find someone to smuggle it over the border. The backlighting isn't worth ~$55 canuckbucks to me, and I have a set of keycaps that should come eventually.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Are you near Windsor my dude?

I'm in Montreal.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib
I decided to join the Massdrop for the full size Code. Hopefully it doesn't get delayed since it looks like my new keycaps are going to arrive much sooner than I anticipated. I joined the drop for a set of these keycaps, and I already have a tracking number.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib
I'm not going to use Massdrop again. This drama is certainly part of it, but more than that, I have pretty keycaps, and a Code coming my way, so I don't need to buy any more keyboard stuff.

I mean, what else could I possibly want?

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib
Keyboards are great.

Code with browns, and the Midnight Galaxy keycaps from Pheilcia.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

foutre posted:

^^ True. Nice keeb! I got another variety of Phelicia keycap and learned the hard way I'm not as good of a touch typer as I thought, but man they're pretty.

You and me both :(:hf::(

One thing I've definitely noticed is how different the sound is compared to my work keyboard (in the OP). I can't tell how much is the keyboard vs. the caps, but it's a quieter, deeper sound. I'm really liking it, and I hope I never have to replace this thing.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Fixit posted:

It seems like that review pretty much bashes Romger G switches. Have Cherry MX become the standard for mechanical and anything different is taboo?

I really dislike the Romer G switches, but a lot of that is because the actuation bump is all the way at the top of the switch.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib
For what it's worth, I got my first mechanical keyboard about 6 years ago, a basic full keyboard with Cherry Browns, and if I still had it today, I'd be pretty happy with it.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib
If you want designs on your keycaps, this site has a bunch. I've also seen their sets on Massdrop.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib
Have the options for anything in Canada gotten better in the past year? Last I remember, unless it was one of the large brands, your options were pretty much Massdrop or bust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

mewse posted:

Massdrop is awful for us Canadians because they don’t do any of the border paperwork and charge megabux for shipping so you get hosed both ways.

Most of the popular stuff you can order from kbdfans on AliExpress or their own shop and those orders show up without duties owing on them.

That sucks, but not unexpected. They don't have anything I want. I'd like a TKL with Cherry Clears or similar, but I guess I'll just have to wait until someone can smuggle a CODE or something across the border for me.