Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Looking for a keyboard with

- Aluminum base
- Full or 1800
- White
- Under $200

For reference, I love this keyboard by Razer but really don't want all the Razer bloatware:

Is there anything in the custom market like it?

I've found this one by Drop (https://drop.com/buy/drop-shift-mechanical-keyboard#overview) but it's gonna run about $300. I was hoping to find something a bit cheaper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

mewse posted:

That razer looks like a white GMMK - the GMMK is probably cheaper and has hot swap sockets.

Wow, yeah, looks like it. And the white GMMK is only $110. Perfect, thank you!

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

StabMasterArson posted:

I’m finally going to take the plunge and start building a keyboard, but it’s so hard to know where to start. Seems like everyone is using the GK64 or something similar which just seem to be sold out everywhere. The closest I could find was the Glorious GMMK which looks pretty good from what I can tell. I could order that and a bunch of switches, and I assume I can just drop them in and some keycaps and be ready to go. Is it worth getting the GMMK? Sorry if this has been asked a million times

If you're not sure what kind of switches you might like, I highly recommend this switch tester: https://kbdfans.com/products/kbdfans-super-swithes-tester-60-switches-all-in-one

I borrowed it from a friend and it turns out that, while I like Cherry Blues, I realllly like 62g Zileos, with Gateron Browns, and Cherry Clears being pretty close options. The GMMK I ordered apparently has Gateron Browns, and the Glorious Panda switches I've ordered are apparently close to all of those too.

I'd see if you can borrow one or buy one off somebody looking to sell theirs since it is like 50% the price of a whole set of switches.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Epsilon Plus posted:

I just got the 72-switch tester and, not gonna lie, it's kinda fun to just mindlessly click on when I'm bored

It also helped me decide what switches to try on my Hot Dox, I went with Box Jades

Hahaha yes! I know exactly what you mean. I was very tempted to just buy it off my friend outright. It is super fun to mindlessly click on, way better than my fidget cube for sure. Might have to get a mini one just for that sort of thing.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

StabMasterArson posted:

I’m finally going to take the plunge and start building a keyboard, but it’s so hard to know where to start. Seems like everyone is using the GK64 or something similar which just seem to be sold out everywhere. The closest I could find was the Glorious GMMK which looks pretty good from what I can tell. I could order that and a bunch of switches, and I assume I can just drop them in and some keycaps and be ready to go. Is it worth getting the GMMK? Sorry if this has been asked a million times

Just got my GMMK White Ice and I love it. I have some Zealios and Glorious Panda switches on the way because the Gateron Browns that come with the board don't have quite enough bump for me. That said, I had some minor trouble with the software, but a reboot fixed it. Lot of RGB customization if that's your thing, though I just keep it off or at a low intensity white. Looks really nice with the rest of my build.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Alarbus posted:

The trick I found was to run their app as administrator in order for it to actually save the settings beyond the active session.

My issue was that I plugged in the keyboard, installed the software... and then nothing happened. When I manually launched it, it gave me a message that no keyboard was found. A quick reboot and the software worked just fine.

I'll definitely keep the 'run as administrator' in mind, as I've noticed it can sometimes be a little finicky when my machine comes out of sleep mode.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Alright, I think I've officially got the bug. I'm on the hunt for a Discipline or Mysterium. I'm not picky, and would be happy with either one. If anyone is sitting on one, I'd be happy to take it off your hands for a good price. Keys and switches not necessary.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Queer Salutations posted:

He said on r/mk that he'll keep doing runs of the board "until everyone who wants one has one" so you should get another chance at least.

Switch Couture has Mysterium PCB's in stock still, and they sell custom acrylic cases for it.

Awesome, thanks for the lead! I saw they were all sold out on cftkb.com and figured I'd have to scour mechmarket.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Queer Salutations posted:

Switch Couture has Mysterium PCB's in stock still, and they sell custom acrylic cases for it.

Welp, looks like I would have to solder it myself, and I do not in any way trust my ability to do it right. Appreciate the heads-up though.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Canna Happy posted:

You can do it no problem. Its like legos for adults.

You can't fool me, I know how goon DIY projects end up.

... Anyone have any recommendations for soldering irons?

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Wow, thanks for all the great info! After some thought, and searching around, I found someone that will do the majority of the soldering for me on the Mysterium for $40.

Given that I have two kids under the age of three, it would likely take me months to solder the whole thing. I will probably also go down the custom acrylic case route, and I'm still going to have to buy some stabs, and put everything together. I feel like that's a good level of personal building for me, as a beginner to this whole thing, and very doable with my limited amount of free time.

However, the Mysterium is TKL, and I do use the numpad a lot, so I'm going to pick up the soldering supplies anyway and build a May Pad (https://keyhive.xyz/shop/may-pad). I think it would be a lot better for me as a first-time soldering project. I'd also be a lot less mad about ruining it than I would be if I screwed up the keyboard.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

You know there are twitch streamers that will build your keyboard for free.

I did not! Gonna chalk this up as a learning experience.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

My goodness, that white looks gorgeous even being a B stock. Super tempted to throw my hat in the raffle.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

If anyone really wants a B Stock, Austin R2, in Dark Grey, drop me a PM and we can work something out.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Rookoo posted:

My Corsair STRAFE RGB with cherry MX silent switches has finally kicked the bucket a year after I spilt liquid on it.

Looking at the last couple pages heavy with enthusiast talk I'm weary about asking such a newbie question, but what's a decent keyboard to replace it with that isn't going to feel a million miles different, (or at least not worse).

I've moved past my taste for RGB and the keys being "Silent" is less of an issue nowadays. Would be ideal if it didn't cost an arm and a leg too.

Any go-to suggestions?

I really like my GMMK: https://www.pcgamingrace.com/products/gmmk-full-brown-switch

You can get it in full, tenkeyless, or compact 65%, and let you choose from a whole bunch of switches. If you liked your silent Cherry reds, the Gateron Red switches they offer would feel very similar, and likely a little better. Another good choice would be the Kailh Silvers, as they're incredibly light and fast linear switches. It's also hot swappable, so if you decide to get different switches later you can just drop em in. All-in it's like $130 for something that's a lot more customizable than Corsair's offerings.

Also, if you can, I'd see if you can borrow or buy a switch tester. I thought I knew what I liked (Cherry Blue / clicky) until I tried one and realized that I really liked entirely different switches (Zealios / tactile) and that I really didn't like Cherry Reds / linear.

Gearman fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Oct 26, 2020

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Rookoo posted:

Cheers, when it comes to the keys themselves would these do the job fine?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HK-Gaming-...RV6P0ZCHYGMSPWB

I'm assuming the switches are the important part.

Yeah those would work. They also offer very similar caps, called "Black Aura", when you go to customize the board. Pretty sure the $130 I quoted included the keycaps as well. But if you wanted that set from Amazon instead, they would work just fine, too.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

i vomit kittens posted:

Apologies if this isn't the right thread but I can't think of anywhere better to ask. I'm trying to make some more room on my desk so that I'll actually have room to write by moving my MIDI keyboard. What I'm trying to find is a keyboard tray that can swivel out so that I can put it off to the side of my desk and "turn" it towards me, like in the drawing below. I want the MIDI keyboard to sit under my desk roughly in about the same spot that it sits on top in the top part, and be able to move it to where it is in the bottom graphic. I've searched for "swiveling keyboard trays" online but this yields results that look like they function very differently from each other so I'm not sure which would suit my need without seeing it in person. Does anyone happen to know of something like what I'm talking about?

(sorry for the lovely MS paint graphic)

Searching for "keyboard arm tray" on Amazon looks like it gets some results similar to what you're looking for. There are a few that look like they could work perfectly if you mounted them upside-down.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

anothergod posted:

I am looking for a cheap mechanical keyboard in the 50-60 range. I found some on Amazon for about that, but I've never heard of Red Dragon or Element or w/e keyboards, and I'm wondering what I'm losing out vs. the $100+ Duckys etc.

What I've learned over my short foray in to the mechanical keyboard realm is that:

- Getting a mechanical keyboard just because it's mechanical doesn't necessarily make it feel better to you than non-mechanical keyboards.

- The type of mechanical switch on the board really matters, and is very much personal preference. I can't stand linears, still kind of like clickies, and LOVE tactiles.

If you're looking for a mechanical keyboard and don't know what linear, tactile, or clicky switches are or feel like or what you're preference is, I'd recommend buying a cheap keytester. Even something cheap like this that has one of each kind of type of switch is very helpful: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01G3BJOHO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_5pZLFbHVK4YX0 or you could just buy one of the $50 ones, try it out for a day and send it back.

What the more expensive ones get you vs the cheaper ones is largely:
- Type of switch you can get with it. More expensive boards usually come with better or nicer switches.
- No switches. Which sounds dumb, but it means you can put whatever switch you want in it. Some boards let you "hot swap" switches that makes changing switches on the board very easy.
- Better materials, better weight, etc. There's a big difference in feel and sound between cheap plastic and more expensive materials, foam padding, aluminium bodies, and weights underneath.
- A layout that is more universal, letting you swap keycaps easier. I actually liked the caps on my Corsair even though they're cheap. Unfortunately, they use a nonstandard keycap size for their bottom row, which made them very difficult to use in other boards.

There are usually some other nice features, but I'd say those are the most worthwhile when considering a cheap mechanical vs. a more expensive one.

That said, if you're going to pay $100+, I'd recommend staying away from the "big brands" like Corsair and Logitech, as you generally end up paying a lot for style, and not getting any of the real advantages.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

I'm looking at carrying cases for a keyboard im just going to sell anyway. The hell is wrong with me.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Oldstench posted:

OK, so my Razer Blackwidow X Chroma has some keys that just keep repeating for no reason and their support basically told me to gently caress off, so I'm gonna get a new mechanical keyboard. I'm in no way insane like some of you clearly are, so I just need a good mech keyboard. Are the options in the OP still current for deece options? I'm referring to the WASD 104 or the Ducky One 2.

Despite diving in to the deep end, I still really like my GMMK:
https://www.pcgamingrace.com/products/gmmk-full-brown-switch

Can get it in three different sizes, and a few different switch types. You can also swap the switches out, so if you ever feel like trying new switches, you're good to go. Also, if you're in to the RGB thing, the software control for the RGB let's you do some pretty cool things, per-key lighting, animated patterns, etc. Total is around $140 for a fully customizable board.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Y'ALL I FINALLY FUKING WON A RAFFLE.

Congrats! I immediately regretted offering mine up for sale as soon as I opened it. These boards are simply amazing. If for some reason you ever decide to sell it, DM me. I'll make you a good offer. (and by 'good offer' I mean what you paid for it, because I'm now poor from building my Mysterium)

Gearman fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Oct 31, 2020

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

If for some reason I hit dire financial straits I'll let you know, but I have a feeling that I'll be handing onto this for a while. This plate is REALLY well designed.
https://twitch.tv/Langelandia is building the same board on his twitch stream on Friday. I might join him and build mine at the same time depending on how things go this week. Either way I'll be in chat if I'm not available to stream.

Haha yeah I didn't think so, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to at least get the word out that I'm looking and serious about paying for one. I don't blame you one bit for holding on to it, it's a work of art.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Magical Bee posted:

There's two walls between them and me, but apparently that lovely typewriter hammering still makes its way through them. I love the sound, but only being able to use it when I'm alone is a pretty big bummer.

Maybe I can try a swappable keyboard with browns or clears first and only go to reds if they still drive people nuts? I don't really love the GMMK branding, but it looks like it might be a good one to experiment with, since I prefer full keyboards.

Not a big fan of their branding either. Thankfully, the GMMK has basically none of their branding on it. It's really clean. I'd start with the Gat Browns that you can have them put on it and go from there.

Alternatively, you can order the board without any switches and get some Gazzew Boba switches here: https://mkultra.click/products/gazzew-boba-silent-tactile-u4-switches

They're amazing, and very well priced, and actually feel pretty great without any lube.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

drat, this looks...really good for the price:

https://www.pcgamingrace.com/blogs/news/introducing-gmmk-pro

75%, gasket mounted, aluminum, rotary encoder. And always in-stock.

$169.99

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Yeah, I'm putting money down on one. Seems like a pretty good deal.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Yeah, the Drop 1800 is pretty awesome. I just wish it had more 2u keys on the numpad.

The Boston does look really interesting too, though it sounds like he won't be able to do the really cool engraving on the brass weight.

That said, I really regret selling my Austin, and I'm hoping they do an R3 so I can get another without spending $1000 for another. It really is a perfect 1800 layout with just about everything I want (except maybe replacing the lonely Scroll Lock key with a clicky rotary encoder).

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

loving LOL at this PCB art:

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

That's a great friend. My two favorite sets of switches, and those Zealios aren't cheap, either. Solid choices all around!

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Got any more info or a link on the IFK Cafe set? I can't seem to find anything about it, and I'd rather try to grab one than pay the ridiculous prices people are asking for GMK Cafe on mechmarket.

Edit: Scoured their site and social media channels and can't find anything about it either :(

Gearman fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Nov 26, 2020

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

KingKapalone posted:

Are GMK and IFK different brands that have a set with the same name?

What profile are the caps that come with the Ducky One or those Hyper X pudding ones?

GMK and IFK are different brands. They use different tooling and process, so they'll look a bit different.

IIRC the HyperX puddings use the OEM keycap profile.

KingKapalone posted:

Any good place to look for cherry shine through caps? I just read that the double shot part is what allows for that.

Drop.com has a bunch of good ones: https://drop.com/buy/drop-skylight-series-keycap-set

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Ah, missed that you were also looking for Cherry profile. Yeah, those are a lot harder to find. There's a pre-order on Kono https://kono.store/products/kono-backlit-ds108-keycaps-pbt-doubleshot and a few kits on the usual Amazon and Aliexpress spots, but not a lot of variety in general.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

abraham linksys posted:

is there anyone out there making desk mats smaller than 900x400mm? i have a pretty small desk and a 65% keyboard, so I don't need anything that large, but i want some kinda gaming deskmat/mousepad i can also rest a cup on. think i'm looking for something that's like 22 x 12 inches or 600 x 300 mm

Just saw this post on mechmarket
https://www.reddit.com/r/mechmarket/comments/k0trut/_/

GCPR also makes a few different sizes:

https://www.pcgamingrace.com/products/glorious-extended-gaming-mouse-pad

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Reds (Linear) and Blues (clicky) are the opposite ends of the spectrum, with Browns (tactile) sitting right in the middle.

Most people tend to gravitate towards linears and tactiles, so I'd probably offer Reds and Browns.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Neurostorm posted:

Are there any good black Friday deals on thread-approved keyboards? Looking for full size, with something like cherry clears or similar, ideally with some sort of backlighting.

Drop is having a pretty good sale:

https://drop.com/buy/drop-shift-mechanical-keyboard

It's an 1800, so not quite full, but very close. It's a high quality board, with backlighting, and hot-swap sockets. With switches it'll run $230, but if you're fast you can use the code TURKEY20 to save another $20. They claim the code can only be used by 100 people, but who knows if that's actually true.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Yeah the Halo Clears are very similar to Cherry Clears except the Halo's are a bit smoother. Given the choice between the two, I'd take the Halo's.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Nope. No links to the product.
They did say that it would be released with the rest of the BlackFriday stuff at 3pm I believe.

Here's a link to the twitter BF megathread:
https://twitter.com/TheKeyCompany/status/1331673257645248513

Just saw the Discord post. Very excited even though I know they'll sell out in about two seconds.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

epic Kingdom Hearts LP posted:

I returned my Durgod keyboard because the connection kept dropping which is apparently a common issue with that unit. Is there an agreed upon "best" TKL mechanical keyboard that uses Cherry MX Silent switches? I was looking at the Ducky One 2 but it's all out of stock right now.

There isn't really a "best" as there's a wide range of features and prices for TKL boards. You can find some for $200 and $2,000 and everything in between.

For good entry boards, around $150-$200 I'd recommend:

Varmillo (https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=4911)

Drop CTRL (https://drop.com/buy/drop-ctrl-mechanical-keyboard) / Drop CTRL High Profile (https://drop.com/buy/drop-ctrl-high-profile-mechanical-keyboard)

GMMK TKL (https://www.pcgamingrace.com/products/gmmk-tkl-tenkeyless-brown-switch)

The DROP and GMMKs are pricier but also hot-swappable so you can always easily change your switches later. There are a bunch of other good TKLs out there, but it really depends on your budget and if you want things like LED, hot-swap, aluminum body, wireless, etc.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Anyone picking up a keyboard on BF sale today?

I didn't grab any boards, but I did scoop up a couple keycap sets:

- Drop MT3 White on Black (really curious to try MT3 profile and wanted a set of black keycaps to go with my black Mysterium and Discipad)
- Infinikey Cafè Base and Extras (been pining over the GMK Cafe set but didn't want to pay the $400+ for an aftermarket set. The fact that they're also PBT is the cherry on top. Wish I had bought a couple!)

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Unfortunately, there aren't a ton of options for full-size outside of companies like Corsair, Logitech, etc.

Some that I would recommend:

- Durgod Taurus (don't think it has RGB)
- Ducky One 2
- GMMK (hot swappable switches, cheaper than most other boards, also no branding on the top)
- Drop Shift (1800 so more compact than a full size, but a high quality board and hot swappable)

Edit: Despite the dumb name, I would highly recommend the GMMK. Being able to pull out switches and lube or replace them entirely makes it MUCH better than similar boards. It's also probably the cheapest board of the bunch, despite also being aluminum, and having per-key RGB. Thankfully, there's no logo or branding on top of the board, either. It is incredibly good value while giving you room to branch out and mod or try new switches down the road.

Gearman fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Nov 28, 2020

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Eric the Mauve posted:

I swear I don't work for Tecware, but the Phantom is a surprisingly solid full size board for $50. (https://www.amazon.com/TECWARE-Mechanical-Keyboard-Switches-Excellent/dp/B076YHBQYJ) I've never tried Oetemu Reds but IMO the Oetemu Blues and Browns are better than Cherry if anything, and the RGB on that thing has a million different built-in options.

Yeah that is really solid value. The one big downside is that it is only compatible with Oetemu switches, whereas the majority of switches available on the market are Cherry. That said, if you want something very affordable, with the ability to try a few other kinds of switches down the road, it's a great place to start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

mewse posted:

I scored a doorcrasher on the GMMK fullsize + glorious pandas + wrist rest. Really looking forward to trying the switches, I only have T1s to compare it to, and zealios v1 I guess.

I love my lubed pandas. The bump is much bigger than the Zealios, more of a 'D' shape whereas the Zealios is more of a 'P'. At first I didn't really like the feel of lubed Pandas, and wanted to go back to Zealios, but after a day of using them I never bothered to put the Zealios back. I think you're really going to like them, but they might feel a little weird at first.