Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I had this abomination made from WASD keyboards. Cherry Blues

Click clack motherfucker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

VostokProgram posted:

Is that a set? Or custom colors + legends? It looks good

I basically got the "V A P O R" design under the Maker Keyboards at wasdkeyboards, but colored it like a combination of the "Seaside Mac" design, and my own tweaks for the top row and a few other things.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Usually not a fan of the RGB on keebs, but I like the way the all-blue led setting looks on this recent build

Looks pretty inoffensive in person.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Building boards again lately. Budget build here, premium build next week (or whenever mail from China arrives).

Sense75
Holy Pandas
Soyamilk Clone

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Taima posted:

Well poo poo.

Does anyone have an opinion on the best Mode Keyboard arrangement then for the best feel/weight then?

These aren't available with my Mode keyboard, the choices are:

Obscura Linear
Tomorrow Tactile
Anthracite Silent Tactile
Lotus Linear

Or should I not choose my switches from here?

Are the stabilizers and foam inserts worth it?

Dude. This is loving insane!!! I have no idea what I'm doing

Like, bottom line, and this is a question for everyone: is there a way to get a keyboard of the quality of this Mode keyboard, but prebuilt and maybe cheaper? I'm not aghast at the money, though its definitely a lot to pay $500 for a keyboard. I'm just wondering, since I don't really need the customization, if there's a configured alternative that might also shave off a few bucks on account of being premade instead of a bespoke dealie?

If this is the price that needs to be paid for top quality, so be it. I have been using my Filco Majestouch V2 with browns for over 10 years and will likely be a similar situation with this next one, so money is no object, but that doesn't mean I'm trying to light money on fire if its possible to get the same quality. And right now the customization that Mode offers is overwhelming me, for better or worse.

If there was a keyboard of Mode quality that had a top class tactile switch and I could just slap in a drat shopping cart without having to make 1000 choices that is sounding pretty good.

It seems like everyone buying prebuilt boards these days is just getting a Keychron in whatever denomination they decide suits their needs.

I'm waiting for a board I got on pre-order (Zoom 75) to get here from China to do another build, those have been pretty drat popular over 2023 in the scene, and they might have another Group Buy or something in the next few months, so that might be something to look into if you still feel like doing a full custom build. You'll get the board for somewhere between 200-250, so you can fill it in with U4T or Oil Kings at around .60 per switch, and be at around $300 and only needing to buy whichever keycap set you like to finish the build. You can spend anywhere from 20 bucks to 200 there, YMMV on buying a 20 or 30 dollar set from Aliexpress, but there are definitely some sets that are almost perfect clones of GMK sets costing 6 times the amount on there.

But, the brand that puts out the Zoom series is also just came out with this https://meletrix.com/products/boog75-prebuilt, which is a prebuilt board that uses new Magnetic switches that can be customized at the software level. It looks pretty interesting.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Badger of Basra posted:

Sorry to skip to the end of the thread and ask this but...is WASD still making keyboards? It looks like most things on their website are sold out.

I'm not sure of the current state of their store, but I don't hear them talked about as much anymore. I got a board from them right before the pandemic that held me through a couple of years of being home constantly, but the keycaps eventually ended up with finger-shaped dent accents. Since a lot of companies like Keychron, RK, etc have decent + affordable prebuilt boards that are hotswapable these days available on Amazon or at your nearest Micocenter, I can see why a company like WASD might have faded from the spotlight.

It's just so easy now to end up with some level of "custom" board quickly and cheaply by swapping a set of switches (or not, most of these prebuilt boards already have decent ones) and some keycaps.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

mariooncrack posted:

Drop hasn’t kept up with keyboard design. They’re no longer a good value. They have okay keycaps though.

Sometimes the boards are OK; I got a sense 75 barebones for like 100 bucks over the summer because it was on sale, which makes it worth it. I think the "normal" price is much higher, like around 200 which is definitely not worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Badger of Basra posted:

okay question - I would like to have a fun keyboard like this but I also want a fullsize one, with the numpad and everything. and it seems like Mode, Zoom, and Cannon don't have any of those available. is there somewhere else I should be looking? or am I getting to the place where I will have to build it myself? in which case I'll just buy a keychron or something

For the Zoom series, there is a Zoom pad, which is a separate numpad + knob attachment. They might be sold out right now, but i'd expect another group buy at some point soon.