Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I'm seein double. Four function rows!

Seriously that keeb rules.

Yeah, I regret selling mine. It's a great board. Only problem is finding keycaps sets with enough coverage for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
Also in the too-many-keys genre: https://mechboards.co.uk/products/hyper-7-v4

LightRailTycoon
Mar 24, 2017
I use a Keebio BFO-9000, with 108 keys. With a tkl based layout, I have F13-F24 on the side. CD

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

twelve functions ought to be enough for anyone

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

ShowTime posted:

Mines out for delivery already. That's some very, very fast free shipping.

Geeze. Mine is slow-poking its way through the southern states from TN to CA. Mine won’t be here til Wednesday.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
Does anyone make keyboards with those giant return keys anymore?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

DeeplyConcerned posted:

The upside down L shape? Look for ISO layout keyboards.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

DeeplyConcerned posted:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=122218.0

https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/128d5pn/ic_lil_bae_macropad_for_a_keycap_missing_from_all/
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScaczBrlL0uB_CQPX1OTgSEtVWWePqpsgpiI_5LxQUMhIUnFA/viewform

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

DeeplyConcerned posted:

If the standard ISO keyboard Enter key is not big enough for you, there's always this 1% keyboard option.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
Thanks all!

Midjack posted:

The upside down L shape? Look for ISO layout keyboards.

Not quite. The one that's like the upside down L shape but with a bit extra to the left side as well.

The top key (solid gray) in the Reddit link is the one I was thinking of.

I'll look into this.

handoferis
Dec 25, 2022

Said gently caress it and decided to import a Realforce R3 from Japan cause I wanted bluetooth Topre and can't stand HHKB layout.

What I wasn't expecting was the worst Topre experience I've ever had. Fresh out of the (sealed) box, every single key had this horrible sound on bottom out, like pulling tape off skin. I used it for a couple of days hoping it would go away, but there didn't even seem to be any real improvement. So, I decided to just open it up cause trying to return it via some Japanese eBay proxy would probably be a total nightmare.

What I discovered was even weirder tbf, which is that the cause of the weird sticky sound was that the domes and springs were too dry (???) - they were so dry I could feel them wicking moisture from my skin and drying out my fingers. After rubbing them all in my fingers and smearing my personal oils all over them, everything seems to be fine now. Kinda wild to me that Topre charge over $200 for these and would ship out something so awful from the factory.

That said, works well now and bluetooth and remapping on a Realforce feels extremely luxury. I do appreciate the new design as well, cause the R2 looked a bit sad to me.

Overall, worryingly bad keyboard from factory. Excellent keyboard with added me-grease.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

The personal touch

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

LionArcher posted:

Accent on sonnet makes no difference and is just style. Weight bottom makes a sound difference not really a feel difference. Plate options makes a feel difference.

Well poo poo.

Does anyone have an opinion on the best Mode Keyboard arrangement then for the best feel/weight then?

LionArcher posted:

Best tactile switch are still boba U4T’s. I prefer the 62 gram weighted ones. I’m slowly putting them in every board I use, and buy back ups because nothing feels as good to me out of the box with no work.

These aren't available with my Mode keyboard, the choices are:

Obscura Linear
Tomorrow Tactile
Anthracite Silent Tactile
Lotus Linear

Or should I not choose my switches from here?

Are the stabilizers and foam inserts worth it?

Dude. This is loving insane!!! I have no idea what I'm doing

Like, bottom line, and this is a question for everyone: is there a way to get a keyboard of the quality of this Mode keyboard, but prebuilt and maybe cheaper? I'm not aghast at the money, though its definitely a lot to pay $500 for a keyboard. I'm just wondering, since I don't really need the customization, if there's a configured alternative that might also shave off a few bucks on account of being premade instead of a bespoke dealie?

If this is the price that needs to be paid for top quality, so be it. I have been using my Filco Majestouch V2 with browns for over 10 years and will likely be a similar situation with this next one, so money is no object, but that doesn't mean I'm trying to light money on fire if its possible to get the same quality. And right now the customization that Mode offers is overwhelming me, for better or worse.

If there was a keyboard of Mode quality that had a top class tactile switch and I could just slap in a drat shopping cart without having to make 1000 choices that is sounding pretty good.

Taima fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Feb 11, 2024

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Taima posted:

Well poo poo.

Does anyone have an opinion on the best Mode Keyboard arrangement then for the best feel/weight then?

These aren't available with my Mode keyboard, the choices are:

Obscura Linear
Tomorrow Tactile
Anthracite Silent Tactile
Lotus Linear

Or should I not choose my switches from here?

Are the stabilizers and foam inserts worth it?

Dude. This is loving insane!!! I have no idea what I'm doing

Like, bottom line, and this is a question for everyone: is there a way to get a keyboard of the quality of this Mode keyboard, but prebuilt and maybe cheaper? I'm not aghast at the money, though its definitely a lot to pay $500 for a keyboard. I'm just wondering, since I don't really need the customization, if there's a configured alternative that might also shave off a few bucks on account of being premade instead of a bespoke dealie?

If this is the price that needs to be paid for top quality, so be it. I have been using my Filco Majestouch V2 with browns for over 10 years and will likely be a similar situation with this next one, so money is no object, but that doesn't mean I'm trying to light money on fire if its possible to get the same quality. And right now the customization that Mode offers is overwhelming me, for better or worse.

If there was a keyboard of Mode quality that had a top class tactile switch and I could just slap in a drat shopping cart without having to make 1000 choices that is sounding pretty good.

It seems like everyone buying prebuilt boards these days is just getting a Keychron in whatever denomination they decide suits their needs.

I'm waiting for a board I got on pre-order (Zoom 75) to get here from China to do another build, those have been pretty drat popular over 2023 in the scene, and they might have another Group Buy or something in the next few months, so that might be something to look into if you still feel like doing a full custom build. You'll get the board for somewhere between 200-250, so you can fill it in with U4T or Oil Kings at around .60 per switch, and be at around $300 and only needing to buy whichever keycap set you like to finish the build. You can spend anywhere from 20 bucks to 200 there, YMMV on buying a 20 or 30 dollar set from Aliexpress, but there are definitely some sets that are almost perfect clones of GMK sets costing 6 times the amount on there.

But, the brand that puts out the Zoom series is also just came out with this https://meletrix.com/products/boog75-prebuilt, which is a prebuilt board that uses new Magnetic switches that can be customized at the software level. It looks pretty interesting.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

DeeplyConcerned posted:

Thanks all!

Not quite. The one that's like the upside down L shape but with a bit extra to the left side as well.

The top key (solid gray) in the Reddit link is the one I was thinking of.

I'll look into this.

yeah I know. The first link is to an interest check for a groupbuy of that key, if you want a few.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Flowing Thot posted:

Is anyone making modern keyboards with f13-f24 keys? I want a bigger keyboard not smaller.

I don't think they sell the same form factor any more, but the Corsair K95 was the best for this.

gnatalie
Jul 1, 2003

blasting women into space

Splash Attack posted:

i haven't really taken it out for a run but i have pulled it out of the box. it feels and looks nice, and if it weren't for my requirements i could see myself using it as a daily driver. was surprised to see it came barebones as when i got the halo60 it came prebuilt, but it also comes with small toolbox. this would make a perfect entry keyboard since it's less expensive then jumping for a mode board imo. i went with the nuphy lemon switches because as i said before, i like them loud and clicky, but kinda wishing i had tried to get bobas now. otoh they were offering the switches half off with the board so i figured why not!

LionArcher posted:

If you can afford it, Sonnet will feel sound much better. But there is a huge price difference so I get it.

i'm already set on bobas 62s; they're in my current board (8bitdo retro) and i absolutely adore them. i'm in a spot where i can splurge on a nice board and may as well go for something high quality and be done with it lol

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I really really really hate the way all these fuckos keep saying "this/these [subject of the video]" instead of just it/they/them. It's like how a seven-year-old would write. If they were loving stupid.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

gnatalie posted:

i'm already set on bobas 62s; they're in my current board (8bitdo retro) and i absolutely adore them. i'm in a spot where i can splurge on a nice board and may as well go for something high quality and be done with it lol

if you can be hosed try a ~54g spring swap, U4T's are amazing on lighter springs

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Got my Ducky One 3 today and drat this is a nice-rear end keyboard. I was surprised at how heavy it was. Some of these LED functions are wild and will be super annoying when I'm trying to sleep, haha.

Now to try to convince work to buy one of these for my workstation...

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Feb 12, 2024

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Has anyone ever used cherry silent reds? Not sure if they're The Quietest but it seems like they might be, barring other noise from the keycaps.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Rescue Toaster posted:

Has anyone ever used cherry silent reds? Not sure if they're The Quietest but it seems like they might be, barring other noise from the keycaps.

I got those on my One 3. They're pretty drat quiet, but the spacebar is definitely way louder than the other keys.

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA
I tried out an alienware full sized keyboard with the low profile version of cherry silent reds. They were okay, if a bit scratchy (it may have been remedied over the years, though). I personally can vouch for gamakay phoenix switches for being pretty good and quiet.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Oh my god, this One 3’s *lock LEDs are bright-rear end white and light up my ceiling when the lights are off. This is definitely getting the electrical tape treatment.

Other than that, loving this keyboard!

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Oh my god, this One 3’s *lock LEDs are bright-rear end white and light up my ceiling when the lights are off. This is definitely getting the electrical tape treatment.

My Unicomp came back from servicing with blue LEDs replacing the old green ones. I liked that at first, until I used it after dark. Without sunlight pouring in the window it was finally obvious how annoyingly bright they were. Three little squares of dimming tape later, I was back to liking it.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

do the indicator LEDs not respect the brightness setting

i had a much, much older ducky board with that issue but i figured they would have fixed it by now

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

BabyRyoga posted:

It seems like everyone buying prebuilt boards these days is just getting a Keychron in whatever denomination they decide suits their needs.

I'm waiting for a board I got on pre-order (Zoom 75) to get here from China to do another build, those have been pretty drat popular over 2023 in the scene, and they might have another Group Buy or something in the next few months, so that might be something to look into if you still feel like doing a full custom build. You'll get the board for somewhere between 200-250, so you can fill it in with U4T or Oil Kings at around .60 per switch, and be at around $300 and only needing to buy whichever keycap set you like to finish the build. You can spend anywhere from 20 bucks to 200 there, YMMV on buying a 20 or 30 dollar set from Aliexpress, but there are definitely some sets that are almost perfect clones of GMK sets costing 6 times the amount on there.

But, the brand that puts out the Zoom series is also just came out with this https://meletrix.com/products/boog75-prebuilt, which is a prebuilt board that uses new Magnetic switches that can be customized at the software level. It looks pretty interesting.

Thank you for the help! I think what is confusing me here is the price difference. It seems like you really have to try, to spend more than like 3 bills on a premade unit. The boog 75 you linked is 229.

But if you do a Mode Keyboard you are looking at like 500 dollars.

That's where I'm most curious about; what are these people getting for nearly double the price?

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

The person looking at Mode’s website. You can’t order the boba’s from them. Though I’ve heard their tactiles are pretty good and they just changed them to 60 gram springs.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Taima posted:

Thank you for the help! I think what is confusing me here is the price difference. It seems like you really have to try, to spend more than like 3 bills on a premade unit. The boog 75 you linked is 229.

But if you do a Mode Keyboard you are looking at like 500 dollars.

That's where I'm most curious about; what are these people getting for nearly double the price?

It's largely customization, and higher quality materials. Boards like the BOOG are mass produced and use cheaper and thinner aluminum. The BOOG is definitely better than what you'll find at a brick and mortar retailer, but not quite at the same level of customization and quality as a MODE. Some of the material options that MODE offers, like brass and copper, are just more expensive materials and need to be CNC'ed and specially coated and can't be made cheaply. That said, there are definitely diminishing returns at the level of price and quality that MODE boards are at and people that aren't really enthusiasts won't really care about those differences.

MODE's boards are very hobbyist-oriented, and people buying MODE boards tend to know exactly what they are looking for and enjoy having the various options and customization that comes with it. MODE is also a US-based company with a Discord where you can get nearly 24/7 support for your board. By comparison, Meletrix, the company that makes the BOOG is based in China, so your support experience can be shaky at best. It's not going to make up the $300 difference, but most people buying MODE boards want that kind of support.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Oh ok, that makes perfect sense thank you!

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
What's a good aluminum hotswap number pad that is via compatible?

Smithwick
Jun 20, 2003
Looking for some help. I have (or had) a Glorious GMMK 1 TKL for about five years. It is an older version with the micro usb port and it has gotten glitchy to the point that it disconnects with the slightest movement. This seems to be a common issue with these. I looked at what would be need to repair it and it’s more hassle than it is worth. I contacted glorious and they suggested getting a GMMK Pro barebones and swap my current switches and caps into it. They even threw a nice discount code my way.

Since it looks like getting a barebones and keeping my current switches seems like the way to go, what other options are there? Things I have found are the Ducky One 3, Keychron Q3, Neo80. I’m out of the loop on what is important in keyboards these days and the last few pages of this thread haven’t helped me sort through it.

gnatalie
Jul 1, 2003

blasting women into space
mode sonnet V0i1f2f3g4b5b6d7b8b ordered yaaaaay

ijyt posted:

if you can be hosed try a ~54g spring swap, U4T's are amazing on lighter springs

i might go for it! gonna stick with the regular 62s for a few more months first tho

mewse
May 2, 2006

Smithwick posted:

Since it looks like getting a barebones and keeping my current switches seems like the way to go, what other options are there? Things I have found are the Ducky One 3, Keychron Q3, Neo80. I’m out of the loop on what is important in keyboards these days and the last few pages of this thread haven’t helped me sort through it.

The novelkeys nk87 looks good to me but I never got one because of shipping cost to Canada.

I think /r/budgetkeebs are fans of the GMK87.

Just throwing hotswap TKLs out there because there are lot of them these days.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Sorry to skip to the end of the thread and ask this but...is WASD still making keyboards? It looks like most things on their website are sold out.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Badger of Basra posted:

Sorry to skip to the end of the thread and ask this but...is WASD still making keyboards? It looks like most things on their website are sold out.

I'm not sure of the current state of their store, but I don't hear them talked about as much anymore. I got a board from them right before the pandemic that held me through a couple of years of being home constantly, but the keycaps eventually ended up with finger-shaped dent accents. Since a lot of companies like Keychron, RK, etc have decent + affordable prebuilt boards that are hotswapable these days available on Amazon or at your nearest Micocenter, I can see why a company like WASD might have faded from the spotlight.

It's just so easy now to end up with some level of "custom" board quickly and cheaply by swapping a set of switches (or not, most of these prebuilt boards already have decent ones) and some keycaps.

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

Really liking the gem80! i'm surprised at how heavy it is considering that the bottom half is plastic but it feels like i could use this as a weapon in a emergency. everything works and there's rgb - i'm pretty happy with it but tbh i consider myself a casual/newbie hobbyist since i still haven't done any heavy modding/customization. (i have a kbd67 lite kit that i still haven't put together yet)

i think it's pretty good for it's price point ($150 barebones wired, $170 barebones bluetooth) and it's a good entry level board considering how expensive things can get. also i like blue, so being able to have a blue keyboard is a plus for me. i've noticed that the switches are visible so i can see the yellows of the nuphy lemons underneath the keycaps.

my only issues so far has been that sometimes when typing i end up with double the letters - i don't know if it's just a bluetooth issue, something with the keyboard itself, or me not used to these switches. i ordered some boba u4t so we'll see, and i'll probably try typing wired too. i might also look into a set of clicky switches because i like the noise. also i was struggling with getting the switch for the caps lock key in, i figured out i had to flip the switch upside down to get it to fit but that took a while. not sure if that's normal?

also the gem80 didn't come with any aanime girl mascot packaging like with the halo65 and air75 i had before. it's kind of disappointing because i thought it was funny.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Having a rotated switch slot in Caps is fairly common because there just isn't enough space to put the two hotswap sockets (on the underside of the PCB) in the right spots. You sometimes also see this on Ctrl, Alt, and Space as well in hotswap PCBs that support different bottom row layouts.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

I have been asking the thread for keyboard advice so I just wanted to let the people who helped me know what I got in the end. And wanted to issue a final thank you for what was a very confusing process.

After examining Mode Keyboards, as per the amazing posters who helped me with that, I decided it was just a little too rich for my blood. I don't know. $50 for a piece of copper? The whole thing just felt like a terribly poor value and grasping at 2% gains. That being said I totally get the desire for the best and if anyone is spending 500-700$ on a keyboard, more power to you.

In the end I made the choice of going with the OnePlus 81 Pro with the tactile switches. Seems interesting, unique, wireless looks solid, aluminum chassis, and has some specific features I like/need, such as a nice button to switch between Mac and PC, which is nice for my daily workflow. The keycaps are also intriguing (the marble-mallow caps; such a lame name I know).

So that's it. If anyone wants to hate on (or cosign) the 81 Pro I am curious what you think. The 81 Pro was on sale for 199, which helped too.

I am honestly glad to get this done with, the keyboard space is incredibly confusing and I get the impression that it is more of a hobby than an actual product to perform tasks, for many people, which made the whole thing difficult to gauge because people are seemingly willing to spend almost infinite money on what are ultimately... more like bespoke hobby interests than "I need a keyboard for typing things good" if that makes any sense. From what I can gather, you are beginning to seriously grasp at straws past say, $250-300. Definitely curious if anyone disagrees on that though!

PS I got a real kick out of watching the reviews for the 81 Pro? People were getting extremely upset that, I guess, onePlus was using red for tactile switches when its normally another color or something? I am amazed at how deep the keyboard rabbit hole goes, and how passionate people get about them. It's an interesting space.

e: what's the best place for fun keycaps and knobs? I want to replace the knob on the 81 Pro, any opinions?

Dude custom keyboards are loving hilarious, what in the loving world lol

Taima fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Feb 19, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Badger of Basra posted:

Even if they are, looking at their prices I think you can do better for the money. If you're already willing to drop more than $100 USD on a keyboard, you can probably find one with better features (some combination of QMK/VIA support, hotswap sockets, wireless, nicer plastic body/keycaps) for the same price or even cheaper. In general, nowadays I wouldn't settle for anything without hotswap sockets, especially at that price.