Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

I got this "iKBC C104 PBT Full Size Mechanical Gaming Keyboard with Cherry MX Brown Switch, Black"

Has browns and really nice fonts. Probably the nicest keyboard i've used yet. 90 bux

Browns have no high pitched click.. more a thunk. Very satisfying. Reminds me of the old Commodore keyboards.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jul 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
come on now, clears can't be THAT much better than browns

dammit, now I need to buy a board with clears because I love browns

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

buglord posted:

With the desktop market shrinking and a lot of brick and mortar PC stores going out of business, I wouldn't expect a weird resurgence of mechanical keyboards places like Best Buy, or even Target. I got into the mechanical keyboard craze back in 2010, where it was impossible to find mechanical keyboards in any store. Asking people about mechanical keyboards got you weird stares.

Nowadays though, I can go into my local Best Buy and have a variety of options to play with (granted its all Razer/Logitech/Corsair). Price points went way down too. My first and only mechanical keyboard was a DAS keyboard ultimate which was like $120. Now I can nab one for $60? I ended up giving away my mechanical to a friend just because I wanted something wireless and easy to move around ( I went from a full tower ATX machine to a mITX gaming machine, so lighter weight and portability become things I focused on.).

I still game and enjoy a fine ~pc gaming battlestation~, but lately my favorite keyboard has been the Logitech K480 which I got for $26.

Keeping on the theme of light and portable, this keyboard is pretty impressive given my usage. It connects to three devices through Bluetooth, and you can switch on the fly with very little delay. Right now its paired with my PC, iPad, and iPhone. Makes texting and using iOS apps infinitely less painful because touchscreen will never be as fast as a physical keyboard. Better yet, I'm able to dock my iPad on there and look at guides when playing controller-games like Dark Souls. I'm stoked with how useful this thing is. In a dream world, it would have mechanical keys. But also, the thought of a wireless Bluetooth mechanical keyboard with a dock, settings dial, and battery operation seems like something that will likely never happen, especially for less than $50. But I can dream right?

That is badass! I need to convince myself I actually need it. I only have a phone and tablet.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Its way cool you built that yourself. Oddest layout I've ever seen.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Eric the Mauve posted:

I fully expect my Unicomp to outlast me

Minus coke, coffee, and margaritas. Ask me how I know.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I've got the standard Reds, Browns, and Greens. Also plenty of bucking spring Unicomps and Model M's. Browns are so nice. They are extremely similar in feel to old system keyboards like the Commador 64s and Data General Terminal keyboards. My fingers like them anyhow. Reds take finesse. Too easy for my hamfists.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

:drat:

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
There is no such thing as a keyboard with backlight and nice fonts right?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Megalixir posted:

When did Leopold start making FC660Ms with unique PBT colorways in MX Clear? I liked my FC660M with MX Reds (now with GMK Plum) a lot, especially the silenced padding they use, so I ordered another.

That font/color is sex to my eyes. No numpad, no game for me but drat!

[edit] can someone please explain why all modern keyboards are ruined with no numpad?! I don't understand it and it makes me angry.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Feb 7, 2018

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

TheFluff posted:

Those tan lines though... :v:

e:

Have you opened Alps switches before? I hadn't before I started on dad's AEK, and I had to experiment a bit until I figured out how to open them easily. I use the cocktail stick method and found that you have to press the sticks down quite hard to get the retaining tabs to open far enough for the top housing to come loose, but once you get the tabs out of the way the top housing comes off quite easily.

Speaking of which, progress getting made:

I left the F keys as they are for now, and only cleaned/lubed the rest (the ones with the keycaps on are done). There's a very noticeable difference in scratchiness between the F keys and the rest - looking forward to trying it out for real once it's restored to its former glory.

I didn't notice but how in heck are you gonna plug that into a USB port?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

TheFluff posted:

There are commercial Apple Desktop Bus to USB converters available, but because I'm a huge loving nerd I ordered a programmable converter based on an 8-bit RISC microcontroller from some guy in Japan for $40 including shipping, so I can customize more if I want to. The AEK is actually really well suited to modern computers because unlike a lot of other 1980's keyboards it has an essentially bog standard 104-key layout (plus the power button in the upper right corner which just use a standard tactile switch :v:).

thats cool man, I dig it.. it's kind of the Apple equivalent of the Model M.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
That is verrrry niiice. I would sex it.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

Chiming in to repeat the opinion that Cherry MX Browns just aren't very tactile. I feel almost no peak in resistance typing on them. Same for Gateron Browns for that matter, though at least those are less scratchy than the pre-retooled Cherry.

Dang, I'm kinda curious to see if I'd like linears. Might have to try these some day.

As for keycaps, unfortunately the current round for /dev/tty is over, but here's a cute/comedy option if you're okay with the flatter, shorter XDA profile.

Also, hi there K-Type buddy

Is that some kind of hacked terminal board or a custom affair? I'm not up on all this keyboard lingo.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

mewse posted:

Brown would still be my choice over reds or blues. Romer-G seem weird, I've never felt them, but I just read they're a dampened tactile switch with high reliability which appeals to me.

Browns feel kind alike old terminal boards. My favorite switch so far.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
That's actually a great idea. Probably would dampen a lot of boards that could use that.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is there such a thing as a device that I can plug my keyboard into (via usb) and from that device, has a usb out that I can plug into my computer. And also, inside the device is a bluetooth radio and a hardware switch/button that lets me redirect the keyboard to either the usb out (passthrough to computer) or to the Bluetooth module (disable keyboard over usb, but instead route everything over BT to my iPad)?

this kind of thing is the only thing I have found, probably won't do all you want but it does convert USB keyboards into bluetooth.

https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Co...rd+to+bluetooth

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

64bit_Dophins posted:

I've been looking at the unicomp IBM Model M clones lately.

Anyone have any experience with them? Do they live up to the hype?

I have multiple Unicomp Model M's. Used them for maybe 12 years and recently moved on to cherrys. I have original Model M's to compare to so.. I'd say they are %85 the original quality. The plastics are a bit less thick and beefy but overall good. Never had a problem with plastics though. The key activation is pretty much the same as originals. The only reason I changed was to get a different key activation feel.

If I had to pick between a Unicomp M and a iKBC Cherry Browns from Amazon, I would get the iKBC. I just prefer the quicker feel of the Browns to the buckling spring action of the Model Ms. This is completely subject however.

[edit] One cool thing about Unicomp. Its an American company with some fat sweaty nerd answering the phone. I dumped a Margarita in one keyboard and a Coke in another. They charged about $35 bux to fix both (per keyboard). You can't get service like that from any chinese company.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jun 16, 2018

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

mewse posted:

Tactile version of blues = browns
Tactile version of greens = clears

Blues really don't feel like browns to me. Blues have this sharp click/activation.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

64bit_Dophins posted:

That sounds great honestly. All of the cherry switch keyboards I'v been looking at have been browns but I need the 10 key keypad for my job and my budget is around $100 so I just ordered the unicomp.

I only really care about using my keyboard for work because I do a lot of data entry and type around 150wpm (no joke) so I need something that's accurate. I've used several model Ms but I've never owned one and I've always like them more than cherry keys.

Cherry keys imo are way more responsive but I don't like them as much for the way I type.

I learned to touch type on IBM selectric typewriters and then some older Terminal type keyboards. I get what you are saying, I can FLY on a model M typing. I dunno.. you might be right for a typist.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Anyone soldering, for the love of god get some of this stuff: https://store.rossmanngroup.com/index.php/amtech-nc-559-v2-30-cc-16160.html

It makes soldering nearly anything, even micro stuff a breeze.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I gamed on my Model M's for years. It's workable for sure, not the best though. Better than rubber dome though.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I just used one of the cheapest outemu brown keyboards for like $29 bux and it was honestly really good. I wouldn't buy one myself but and person on the cheap can type like a mofo on them and not feel constrained in speed or feel.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I dont know if anyone has seen this beast:
https://www.amazon.com/CD108BT-Wire...bc%2Bbrown&th=1

Wired+Bluetooth with all cherry keycaps. Great quality. 4 Bluetooth connections simultaneously with a FN+1-4 combo. Fantastic fonts. NO goddamn loving RGB. SEX

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Cool thanks for that. Good stuff. If I didn't already have that keyboard minus the bluetooth I'd buy it.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Dick Fagballzson posted:

My MS Natural Keyboard Pro from 1999 died after I spilled coffee all over it. I absolutely loved that keyboard. It had great ergonomics (fit my huge hands like a glove), great feeling key switches, and a built-in 2 port USB hub. It also worked great for gaming. The large contoured buttons were awesome. I have no idea what key switches it used, but I've never found anything that feels as nice other than Topre.

I've tried a Natural 4000, but the keys feel like mushy garbage and they got rid of the USB hub. It also has a different shape that doesn't feel good in my hands. The mushy keys make it fatiguing to type on.

My question is, is anyone making something that's basically a modernized Natural Pro, just maybe with mechanical switches? I don't want a Kinesis Advantage. I need a ten key, and I don't want to learn a weird layout. I have owned a few mechanical keyboards in the past with key switches including MX Blues, MX Browns, buckling spring, and Topre. I kept going to back to my Natural Pro due to the lack of ergonomics on the mechanical keyboards I tried.

This is the keyboard I'm talking about, since it's almost 20 years old, and you might not know what I'm referring to:

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/andypennell/2013/04/03/the-best-microsoft-keyboard-ever-the-natural-keyboard-pro/

I think it's the best drat keyboard ever made. Even better than the Model M. I want that keyboard, but with mechanical key switches. Anyone making anything like that? Anything in the works? Why do so few of the mech keyboards have ergonomics? Why did MS make something so great and then abandon it to make garbage?

Here you go. Price isn't really out of line with upper end mechanical boards. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Microsoft-Natural-Keyboard-Pro-New-Sealed/142926667511?epid=74049874&hash=item214717def7:g:EC4AAOSw7thbjgt8

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I'm sure this isn't exactly right but MS makes the Intellimouse again: https://www.microsoft.com/accessories/en-us/products/mice/microsoft-classic-intellimouse

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Got some new keycaps today

The K legend was printed upside down, and the L key was completely missing, but Massdrop gave me a duplicate J key. Got a support ticket open hoping for proper replacements

Just when I thought it couldn't get worse..

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Browns are not that silent unless you put in a damper o ring. Reds can be pretty silent, again with o rings and if you don't wack the keys really hard. Overall, mechanical keyboards are not quite though.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I got a couple of these for my computers for xmas: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D3BDN60/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Coolermaster Masterkeys Pro L with full RGB. Not bad for what it is and the price. Also the fonts are pretty decent for a RGB board.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

I'm thinking about the sub 100 range.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D3BDN60/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

ufarn posted:

On that note, USBDeview is a great tool for catching USB devices acting weirdly. Some will keep reconnecting to your computer without the Windows sound which can wreak havoc on game performance.

I'm definitely never gonna plug in a bunch of USB devices to my computer unless I know I'll be using them.

Nice! I had no idea this existed.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Tell your cooworker to grow a pair.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I just ordered this beauty from Epomaker's Amazon store. They are a new company specializing in Chinese keyboards. Very high quality and amazing build.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YG3L332/ref=gno_cart_title_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A31XCF3C216O31

Can't wait.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
The side printed fonts are super cool and the colors.. so nice.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I used to dishwash my Model M. Eventually a Margarita killed it.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I was gonna get a slightly larger version of this board, but in the end decided to try a more compact size. Maaaaan, this thing oozes quality. It has a dead non-resonant thunk when hitting keys. The colors are omg nice. You get replacement keys for the White stuff, in off shades of blue. It has a USB C connector which is handy for macs or phones. It is very heavy and solid, no flex whatsoever. It's got cherry browns but whatever they did makes them sound just like o-ring'd cherrys.
Admittedly, I am a low end mechanical keyboard user haveing Model M's and Unicomps and other non-fancy stuff. I really like this keyboard a lot. I can type faster on it which is the point at the end of the day.

Akko SP Ocean Star in 84 Key: https://www.epomaker.com/product/akko-3108-sp-ocean-star/

redeyes fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Oct 30, 2019

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Sure here you go. Looks.. like the bottom of a keyboard lolol

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I did 2 reviews of my new keyboards people may find interesting:
AJAZZ AK510 Retro
Unbox: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlY72yPfF3E Review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmZgZwn-L70

Akko Ocean Star SP
Unbox: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrFeHTrpkEA&t=1s Review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKR8cBhzpVo

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I thought I was in the headphone thread for a moment. USB cables can never do anything other than either %100 work or fail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

If you're willing to stretch your budget by $5, this iKBC CD108 could be a good option.

Agreed. The iKbc is a great keyboard. The rosewill is a bit eh.