Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gnatalie
Jul 1, 2003

blasting women into space
after using a logitech k350 for ~12 years i decided bite the bullet (my kid spilling water on it certainly helped) and get a realish keyboard, logitech g715 tactile. yes, it's expensive but i dig the aesthetic and am already in their ecosystem.

after using it for a few days, geez i was a dummy for so long. it feels soooo good, definitely glad i got the tactile switches.

now i'm hooked and gonna get the 8bitdo retro + brown switches for work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnatalie
Jul 1, 2003

finally got the 8bitdo famicom and a switch sample pack

learned that i absolutely HATE clicky switches and really dig glorious panda tactiles. now i'm looking at other caps to change out for fun

thanks assholes :mad:

gnatalie
Jul 1, 2003

mariooncrack posted:

Another success story. If you like glorious pandas, you should check out Boba U4Ts.

ahhh i've been reading about those. in time, perhaps :)

gnatalie
Jul 1, 2003

bought a little pack of u4t 62g and 68g to try them out

thanks again, jerks

gnatalie
Jul 1, 2003

boba 62/68 pack finally left htown postal service hell, 62s feel great and i'm gonna replace the glorious pandas with them.

wife saw me looking at kbs on amazon and saw a "retro" board, she's happy with a keychron k8 w/g pro yellow 3.0 and definitely does not like cherry blues

thanks, assholes

gnatalie
Jul 1, 2003

bonus time @ work let me splurge on the book.

and maybe a mode :twisted:

edit:

Splash Attack posted:

on a unrelated note, i ordered a gem80 from nuphy and it should be coming today.

let us know how it goes! i'm torn between the gem80 and sonnet

gnatalie fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Feb 9, 2024

gnatalie
Jul 1, 2003

Splash Attack posted:

i haven't really taken it out for a run but i have pulled it out of the box. it feels and looks nice, and if it weren't for my requirements i could see myself using it as a daily driver. was surprised to see it came barebones as when i got the halo60 it came prebuilt, but it also comes with small toolbox. this would make a perfect entry keyboard since it's less expensive then jumping for a mode board imo. i went with the nuphy lemon switches because as i said before, i like them loud and clicky, but kinda wishing i had tried to get bobas now. otoh they were offering the switches half off with the board so i figured why not!

LionArcher posted:

If you can afford it, Sonnet will feel sound much better. But there is a huge price difference so I get it.

i'm already set on bobas 62s; they're in my current board (8bitdo retro) and i absolutely adore them. i'm in a spot where i can splurge on a nice board and may as well go for something high quality and be done with it lol

gnatalie
Jul 1, 2003

mode sonnet V0i1f2f3g4b5b6d7b8b ordered yaaaaay

ijyt posted:

if you can be hosed try a ~54g spring swap, U4T's are amazing on lighter springs

i might go for it! gonna stick with the regular 62s for a few more months first tho

gnatalie
Jul 1, 2003

gnatalie posted:

mode sonnet V0i1f2f3g4b5b6d7b8b ordered yaaaaay

trip report: typing feels like a dream. no regrets.

edit: looks like i can't remove the lovely picture. oh well

Only registered members can see post attachments!

gnatalie
Jul 1, 2003

keychron k10 / q6 will get you there without too much hassle

gnatalie
Jul 1, 2003

I AM GRANDO posted:

Is it worth it to get a zoom pad? They seem kind of handy, but what is the quality like?

haddedam posted:

I got zoompad kit since I wanted a macropad to replace my keyboard for art workflow.
Took me a while and I assembled it wrong the first time but man, for almost 300 eur device it's wasted money. Sure it has huge milled pieces (which isn't this expensive) but it's battery is absolutely tiny, chips are cheap so it eats through the battery even on standby. Might as well be a wired device at this point.

fwiw i have a keychron q0 plus and it's awesome, haven't had any issues with it. definitely looks higher quality than anything other than the zoompad. i use it left handed with a 2nd layer for visual studio shortcuts.

a few weeks ago they released a wireless version too!

gnatalie
Jul 1, 2003

3rded. if you're using the stock g-pro browns then those are at 55 grams, u4t come in 62 or 68 grams and have zero travel before the bump, so the difference will be quite noticeable.

that being said, i don't recommend either for gaming. for everything else they're absolutely brilliant.

gnatalie
Jul 1, 2003

yeah true i meant more along the lines of fps. for like, philosophizing lieutenant double-yefreitor dubois, not so much.

that being said, i just ordered a sample pack of mode's switches, because hey why not. and the gateron sampler v2 to put on display on my desk at work :)

gnatalie
Jul 1, 2003

Generic Monk posted:

Has anyone used this?

https://www.8bitdo.com/retro-mechanical-keyboard/

It’s ridiculously cheap on amazon, like £85. Cheaper and more featureful and looks nicer than the equivalent keychrons; dye sub pbt and everything. I have one of their controllers, it’s built super well. Looks like it would be great to throw in my bag for when I go in the office.

it's great for the price! once i switched out the box whites for glorious pandas i was quite happy with it.

edit: they just came out with a c64 edition which looks super cool

gnatalie
Jul 1, 2003

sarcastx posted:

I figured I'd order a Gateron switch tester, find which of the switches is the most miserable to press, and then do the ol' pop & swap.

your best bet would be the aliaz 70, they feel awful.

via is a better option tho

gnatalie
Jul 1, 2003

sarcastx posted:

I guess - noob mech keyboard question - can you use like, any brand switches?
I just assumed since my Keychron V5 Max came with Gateron I was like, locked into that ecosystem...

effectively yes, any brand will be fine as long as they're "cherry/mx compatible", which is the overwhelming majority of switches.

the aliaz are in the gateron v2 switch tester, which i highly recommend. it has a wide variety of tactile and linear (gently caress clicky) switches for a relatively cheap price.

your board supports both 3 and 5 pin, so there's no need to worry about pin count

gnatalie
Jul 1, 2003

Discussion Quorum posted:

I'll see how the southpaw numpad agrees with me, but I like the idea of extra space on my right (dominant) side.
imo southpaw numpad is how it should have been in the first place. plus with via support you get easy left hand macro keys :)

quote:

I also got a Glorious sample pack of switches but I am intrigued by these and may give them a shot:

My wife heard me say "mechanical keyboard" and was like "oh god please no" so I will definitely have to see how quiet I can get it before the return window runs out. I think she remembers the cheap loud clacky one that I had and assumes they're all like that.

the glorious sampler is fine, but fairly limited. the gateron switch tester v2 is awesome and gives you a really good variety of tactile and linear switches. for silent tactiles in particular, take a look at gazzew u4 and mode anthracite- they both have tactile bumps without any pre-travel

gnatalie
Jul 1, 2003

Discussion Quorum posted:

Where is this Gateron sampler available? I found a v2 on the Gateron site but it didn't have either of those switches. They're both kinda pricey though. Amazon has a few silent options that are price competitive (Akko Penguin, Durock Silent Shrimp) so those will probably get first look if needed.
looks like... ebay may be an option, although lemokey.com (where i got mine) says available soon. the mode sample pack is only $2; gazzew u4 are $0.65 each

quote:

100+ silent keys is getting up into :shepspends: territory considering I'm already over budget, though, so I'll give it a try stock first.

meh, when a switch really gels with you it makes every keypress amazing. conversely, switches you hate (cherry blue) will drive you absolutely bonkers.

vaginite posted:

Hotswappable, standard keycaps are the main thing I'm looking for. Backlit is nice too (RGB isn't necessary but I do consider it a perk).

Budget I'd say under $500.

I'm down for keychron but if there's something more expensive (that's worth it) I'd go higher. I've been lurking this thread awhile and every time I go to replace my keyboard I get overwhelmed with the options and give up.

by god, that's mode design's music :vince:

gnatalie
Jul 1, 2003

yeah, which is fine. the source code is on github, and if you want to be a nerd about it you can build and run locally :)

i'd rather have this than some lovely electron app

vaginite posted:

I actually think I really like the sonnet, was looking for a 75. Does it have any backlighting? I can’t tell from the website but it’s not a deal breaker. I type in the dark loneliness a lot and can’t find the “:” and “(“ key by touch. Otherwise looks like exactly what I was looking for.

I think I like the mode. Rexxed the model F looks quality too but I just can’t handle the size, it being compact is kind of important to me going from the Logitech one with a full 10-key and macros on the left. The things just too drat big. Those frames are giant.

Think I’m gonna go with the Mode unless anyone hard sells a ducky 75 with the lighting. Now to agonize over switches and caps :( seems like this thread likes gatereon switches?

sadly no backlighting at all. it would be fantastic if they released a new pcb with key and under leds; one can only dream. that being said they're the cream of the crop. imo there isn't any nicer keeb around, barring some stupid group buy thing you get to wait 18 months for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnatalie
Jul 1, 2003

there's a new sonnet coming!

tldr:
  • new lattice mount
  • new tops (including polycarbonate!) + bottoms
  • mostly backwards-compatible depending on the mounting style
  • pre-order begins june 26
  • current sonnets are now 15% off