Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Corsair is practically the one company that makes keybaord with proper media controls and for that they deserve praise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

CloFan posted:

I'm looking for a new keyboard as my Logitech G110 is just too big for my desk and I haven't used the G-keys in forever. One thing I absolutely must have is a volume roller. I don't give a poo poo if it's mechanical or not, but if it is it does need to be fairly quiet since I don't want to wake up the dead on Saturday morning.

I'm looking at the DAS Professional 4. From the store it doesn't come with the quiet switches, but maybe I can get them to customize it for me. The volume knob is what I'm really after, but the USB3.0 hub feature is nice.

Any other suggestions?

Corsair K70.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

mewse posted:

AEK2 arrived

Pretty dirty, no cables, yellowing is pretty significant.

Good news is that there's no cracks or other permanent cosmetic damage. I think it will clean up pretty nicely.

You probably know this already but Monoprice has s-video cables for a few bucks.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

mewse posted:

Some day I want a keyboard that is larger than full size

I've always thought a "programmer keyboard" with an extra row above the numbers, and/or extra columns, would make a lot of sense.
You could then put very-commonly used keys like braces and parens onto their own keys instead of chords.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Selklubber posted:

I was googling for thock.jpg for some reason, found this and had to share it with you

smdh at giving a HHKB as a wedding gift.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

I don't know what kind of nirvana everyone else works in my my office is loud as hell and I feel absolutely no guilt for running blues.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Constellation I posted:

My only artisan key is on Pause/Break.

Non-Visual Studio user spotted.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Perfect to use as a decoy for my 9 month old though.

I want it.

(I have a fake RGB keyboard that my kids like, and I set the drive to ignore all key events, but when they mash modifiers it will affect my typing on the real keyboard.)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Exit Strategy posted:

Designing a 131-key board for a friend. Anybody want one when they're done?

I've always thought that a keyboard with extra keys in the main matrix for dedicated programmer symbols like semicolon, parens and braces would be ideal.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Exit Strategy posted:

Anyone interested in either?

I've always wanted something like this but I suspect it's going to cost a bundle?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

shovelbum posted:

Does anyone make a maximalist keyboard with another numpad's worth of macro pad on the left side of the board opposite the numpad

edit: every time i look at the CODE and think this could be BIGGER i come in this thread and post this and im sorry

Corsair K90/95 but you can't get it in good switches sadly.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Doccykins posted:

- Nice to have some kind of one-key media bar (play/pause/mute/next) so I'm not hunting around for Spotify when I get a call (Is this a big no-no in the mech keyboard enthusiast market? Or is it just more expensive because there's additional keys to add on. Don't mind if the alternative is close-as-possible-to-native programmable Fn keys or something)

Mech kb market is strangely against extra/useful keys for some reason.
Most will have some sort of Fn-layer though.
But there's nothing like a real, dedicated play/pause/skip.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

I don't care what it costs but I can't imagine buying a custom numpad without = and Tab.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

I have a K95 with Reds and I find the linear switches are too light when gaming.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Check out the Corsair boards too. Probably the best all-rounders.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Klyith posted:

They have a new K70 TKL variant with their volume control, but it's only available with red or "speed silver" switches (high activation point, very gamer) for the moment. It might be a practical choice if they make it with normal switches.

But the thing I think is the biggest drawback about corsair is that they use a nonstandard bottom row, so standard replacement keycaps don't fit. You can get sets with those sizes, but it drives the price up.

Sure, but OP said both "good out of the box entry mechanical keyboard nowadays" and "Looking for a 100% or TKL potentially".
They could easily get a standard K70 LUX, 100% with dedicated media keys and volume scroller, in blues or browns and never replace the caps.

(I bet very few people ever do delve into the world of custom keycaps. It just generates the most posts and images rather than "check out the vanilla common keyboard from a major peripheral manufacturer that I just purchased from Amazon."

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Can anyone recommend a quiet clicky keyboard, preferably with media keys?
The Matias Quiet Pro looks OK but would ideally have play/pause/skip dedicated keys.

edit: oh drat, I think the Quiet Pro is actually discontinued.

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Sep 1, 2021

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Look what I just came across!

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

change my name posted:

Here's a cool keyboard I saw on display at the industrial design section of the new National Museum in Oslo:

I guess it's like 150%?

I'm pressing Scroll Lock+F11 as hard as I can and it's not bringing the Funk, what gives?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Zotix posted:

I'm considering getting a new keyboard. I currently have a corsair k70 that I've used for about 7 years. It's old, it's dirty, it probably should be replaced.

Why wouldn't you just clean it up?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

LionArcher posted:

and for people who want to spend too much on GMMK sets, one of the best sets ever pre order just went live.

https://novelkeys.com/products/gmk-cubed

I wonder whether they already tried having the legends be in the GAMECUBE typeface and rejected it.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Ihmemies posted:

I spilled a bit of milk on my corsair k70 rgb keyboard. The volume scroll has been quite sticky after this. It works, but it's signifcantly higher resistance when adjusting volume. How good/bad idea it would be to open the keyboard and try to do Something to the problem?

Like, is it better to live with that "feature", or try to fix it..

Edit: also does anyone do some kind of "macro" keyboards which come to for example left side of the keyboard.. more hotkeys would be sweet.

The Corsair K95 is probably what you want, but I think it's discontinued now.
When I played WoW I loved mine.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Flowing Thot posted:

Is anyone making modern keyboards with f13-f24 keys? I want a bigger keyboard not smaller.

I don't think they sell the same form factor any more, but the Corsair K95 was the best for this.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

wash bucket posted:

You would not believe how hard gray is to color match.

On his deathbed, the master keyboard artist croaked "son, I painted all the other modifier keys to match the super key"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Saukkis posted:

But typing Finnish isn't the only thing I need, I'm divided pretty evenly between typing Finnish and English, with a hefty dose of Bash command shell sprinkled on top, and that's why I customized the DAS layout quite a bit for my needs. For example I have "$" at the CapsLock location, and they keys closest to my right thumb are Enter and "|". Finnish standard layout doesn't have a key for "|", you need to stretch to press AltGr+"+" and this also introduces a regular problem where you type "|<non-breakable space>less" and then Bash give you a weird error complaining that it can't find the command "less" and it will take quite a while before you understand what the problem is.

I would love to try a keyboard that had dedicated keys for every common programming character.
(probably couldn't do it because the common characters are different between javascript, c, python, perl...)