Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

CyberPingu posted:

In a good way or bad way?

I miss my Ctrl and regret selling it.

I just got my CTRL with Cherry Blues two weeks ago, and the MiTo SA Pulse set last night. The SA layout is very different than the OEM Skylights the board shipped with, but not in a bad way. Biggest complaint is the tab and |\ key feel a little unstable. The Pulses definitely mute the LEDs, too. Not in a way that I mind, just something to consider. Overall, I love it.

As a computer janitor, I do miss the tenkey portion, and I'm not in favor of losing it. Anyone know of a good Bluetooth mech tenkey that's in stock right now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Koskun posted:

As to recharging a keyboard and mouse without having to take them to the computer whenever, battery packs. Anker make some of the better ones around and for not a lot of money.

For the charging issue, I've bought a couple of these USB charge hubs, and they're wonderful. That'll keep any USB device charged up. Tuck it behind the couch, and you'll have something to charge controllers, phones, and iPads convenient, too.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Drop is running another group buy for their Shift, which is an 1800 layout. Not quite fullsize, but close enough for me to order one. They ran a brief "immediate shipping sale" yesterday, and mine with Halo Clears shipped today. Current purchases will ship in December.

The biggest problem I have with the GMMK is I'm really not comfortable with the branding around the company as a whole. The whole thing is vaguely eugenics-icky.

That, and the stock keycaps/legends are terrible.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Got my Drop Shift with Halo Clears in today. It's a very different feel than the Cherry Blues I've got on my Ctrl right now, but not in a bad way. I definitely favor them over the Cherry Reds I have in the FNatic board this will likely replace.

I'd forgotten how textured the default Drop Skylights are. Legit weird after having the SA Pulse caps. I've got the Susuwataris on order, so I'll probably switch over to those when the come in.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

I'm 99% sure the package I have coming from China next Monday is my Fusion. So yes. Soon™️

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Drop just announced their Shift High-Profile keyboard, and I think it hits all the points I want: High-profile, removable cable, 1800 layout, and available in black. The worst part is it doesn't ship until next summer.

I've got the standard (low-profile) Shift in silver, and I like it. I just wish it were black and high profile. Since the majority of the community seems to hate numpads, this seems like my best bet. This may be the closest end-game I get until/unless the Boston comes out.

Wizard of the Deep fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Nov 17, 2020

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Stroop There It Is posted:

:negative:
I can't use the fact that you can find where I live on the bottom panel to justify backing this...... right???

Just sounds like more of a reason to back it to me.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

runawayturtles posted:

As for the keyboard itself, I looked on Wirecutter and the CoolerMaster MK730 seems to check all the right boxes. The Razer BlackWidow is currently on sale, but I'm wary of their custom switches and the brand in general. The GMMK also looks promising. Or do you guys think I should skip all the gamer brands and just go straight for something like the Ducky One 2 TKL RGB (though the price is a bit high and less likely to go on sale)?

I've got an older version of the Razer BlackWidow Elite with their Green (clicky) switches, and I like it. It's not the one I'm replacing with the Mountain. The BWE is a 100% board, and feels solid. Pretty weighty, minimal flex, and the RGB is subdued, gentle, and very pretty. The Synapse software is acceptable. On mine, the USB port is pass-through, which means it takes up two USB ports on my PC.

Ziploc posted:

I'm an idiot for wanting the Mountain Everest keyboard right? I wanna TKL board when FPSing, but I often use TK when not playing games. And the modularity and hot swap switches got me real interested in finally giving my mouse hand some more room during FPS stuff.

I currently have my G710+

I ordered one, and I'm anxiously awaiting it. I'll give a full trip report when it comes in, but who knows when the next wave will hit? FOMO's a motherfucker. The Mountain will replace my current personal daily driver, a FNatic Streak with Cherry Reds. I'm not a linear switch man.

Wizard of the Deep fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Dec 3, 2020

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Pegnose Pete posted:

Razer Blackwidow Elite or Tournament Edition (currently cheap on Amazon so I could import).

If I went with the Razer I'd probably upgrade the keycaps. There are a fair number of used models with English layout available locally. How do people feel about Razer greens these days? They are the most common for used boards here.

I also liked the look of the Hyperx Alloy Origins but it's currently out of stock, and I've never tried their switches.
Since I'll mostly likely be ordering from the USA to Japan returning a board if I don't like the switches won't be easy.

Any thoughts?

Edit: I should say this is for primarily gaming, but I'm not wedded to the gamer rgb anesthetic by any means. I just want something well built. I could go either way on TKL VS 100% depending on price.

I've got the BlackWidow Elite with green switches, and I'm happy with it. The Razer greens are high clack, which I'm a fan of. This board replaced/side-graded a Model M, and I don't really regret it. Getting win keys and media controls was worth it for me. The RGB lighting goes through diffusers in the switches, so it ends up being much more gentle/subtle than other lights. I've been using the base cap set for almost a year now, and they look fine in terms of shine. Once my Drop Laser Cyberdeck set comes it, I may switch them out for that.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

CRAYON posted:

You're both reminding me about that wonderful looking MT3 3277 set on drop that has just about every random keycap there is except a 2u shift and I'm crying.

It's such a good profile. I finally got my Mountain Everest in yesterday (after ordering it in November), and typing on the OEM set was just rotten. Now I've got my Susuwatari set back on, it's a night & day difference.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Yea, MT3 have both an overall profile curve from top to bottom of the board, and the individual keys are dished pretty deep too.

I don't have any KAM sets (yet) to compare against, but the two profiles are definitely going for two different feels.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Epsilon Plus posted:

Looking for a reccomendation: I wanna get a new keyboard for my 808-Booms when they arrive. Ideally I want a full-size keyboard with a black or grey metal housing like the Ducky Shine 7 I have now - I really like the feel and weight of it. I also want full per-key RGB backlighting, also like the Ducky Shine 7. It sounds like I just want to buy another Ducky Shine 7, and I kinda do, but I also want to put some Box Jades on it. So I either need to get another Shine 7, desolder all the switches, and put new ones on, get a similar board and remove the switches, or find a 100% PCB and case and assemble it myself - which I'm totally willing to do as a fun project, but every time I go searching for boards I end up seeing things that are out of stock/on backorder or old group-buy posts that make me sad that I missed out on something.

My Everest Max finally came in this week. It's an 80+20%, with a metal top and ABS plastic bottom. The numpad is detachable, and can fit on either side. I've got it in a southpaw right now, and it's... taking some getting used to. It's hotswap (3 pin only). It's not a group-buy, but it took two months to actually arrive. I'm happy with it so far, but I've only had it 48 hours. Per-key RGB, and the media dock is decent enough.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Ziploc posted:

What happens when you set your static light to white? My TKL and numpad don't really match when set to 255,255,255. I emailed support and they said it was normal.

I've got a much smaller level of variance between base and keypad. Nowhere near that bad. I also usually use the wrist rest, which completely blocks the edge lighting. I don't see much significant difference between the lights under the keys. Sorry, that sucks.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I'm impressed and I have seen some poo poo.

I have so many questions.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Deviant posted:

Hmm, I have $10 in massdrop credit expiring.

Anything new and hot on there I should know about?

They were having a sale on MT3 profile kits, not sure if it's still happening. I do love the Susuwatari set I got from them. The profile is wonderful, and I love the colorway. The biip set looks interesting. PBT, some fun legends, and shipping in June.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

mewse posted:

If you learn to desolder, every socket is hot swap

It's really just different definitions of the word "hot".

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Deptfordx posted:

Thanks, I'll take a look at the Redragon. Don't like that font, but honestly, how often would I be looking at it. I'll look at some reviews, and failing that i'll get the Razer.

It's got MX-compatible stems, so you can replace those caps with ~95% of the caps on the market.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

ijyt posted:

The Zambumon Sar looks interesting, I think it's what I'll go for. Unlimited Group Buy when it launches.

https://zambumon.com/sar/

This would be perfect if it wasn't winkeyless. Dropping the winkey is a no-deal for me, though.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Artelier posted:

NEW EDIT: I found this from Singapore for approximately 500 ringgit! All I need is this, switches, and keycaps right?

The website indicates the kit comes with stabilizers, which would be the only other "primary" component. I'll let those with stronger opinions discuss the quality of the pack-in stabs.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

I've got an Mountain Everest Max prebuilt that I'm mostly happy with. Biggest downsides are 3-pin and north-facing LEDs. Stock switch selection is somewhat limited. The software isn't GREAT, but it's not actively bad, either. Numpad comfortably goes on either side, or tucks under the monitor when I don't need it.

The board itself is solid, with very little flexing. Looks like most options are in stock and ready to ship.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

Ooooo, this may be the ticket. Frankly the ad copy for the kb looks nice enough that I may get myself one.

When the numpad is attached, does it rock / wiggle when typing on it? The connection looks like it's just a USB-C connector and some magnets so maybe it's a little loose? But maybe not, I've never touched one of these.

It also has a bit of a gamer aesthetic which I don't mind, but the family member I'm buying for is absolutely not a gamer and probably would prefer the keyboard to just look like bog standard office equipment. This probably isn't a dealbreaker, I'll ask him.

There are some little supports on either side of the USB-C port, so it's fine on a desk/typing, but no you couldn't pick it with the numpad attached.

The pictures all have rainbow unicorn vomit lighting, but the white light is a little cool and looks professional enough. It's a decent board, and there's so little full-size in the enthusiast space right now. It's a little pricy, but it's a fully functional package in one box.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Mursh posted:

So I’ve gone through most of the thread and realized I’d like to make the leap into mechanical keyboards but I have never actually owned one.

I’d like to keep it full size because I’d be using it for both home and work and use the Numpad constantly for work.

If I had a budget of roughly $75-$80 USD (I’m in Canada so about $100 here) where would you start? I like the idea of things being hot swappable as I honestly don’t know what kind of switch I’d like but it definitely would have to lean on the more quiet side so seems red/brown

For full size the OP seems to be out of my budget.

Options I can see:

Keychron c2 - seems like I can get a hot swappable gaeteron but I’m not sure if there’s quality control issues?

Red dragon sussara - cheap but doesn’t seem like I can do much with it in the future

Logitech k512 - similar price point to keychron not sure if any real advantages

Other recommendations?

I’m torn between just getting any mechanical keyboard so I can get into it but feel like I’d regret getting a $50 one if a couple extra bucks gives me some extra long term viability

If you're not sure whether you want linears, tactiles, or loud clickers, you can get some switch testers to get a feel for several different switches. They're little packs of 6-15 different switches, so you can get a sampling of the different options. With that budget, I think your main options are going to be soldered Cherries. A quick Amazon search shows a few options.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

PittTheElder posted:

Hey there keyboard thread, I'm looking for a new keyboard because my current el cheapo one is missing keystrokes when there's multiples going on (usually 3-4, standard WASD control stuff), and I figure I should buy something good for once. I'm not entirely convinced that it need be mechanical, but I'm considering it.

It looks like 90% of mechanicals are straight boards though? I do programming for work, and so having at least a little bit of a curve in it goes a long way. I'm currently pondering the Logitech Ergo K860, but would love to hear other suggestions.

90% of the mechanicals discussed in this thread are straight boards (or kits featuring a PCB and case, with bring-your-own switches and keycaps) because this thread is for the top end of keyboards as a hobby. There are plenty of pre-builts from companies like Corsair, GMMK, and Drop that you'll be completely happy with because you may never even realize there's a difference between 62g and 65g of activation force on switches, and hearing a difference in the sound quality of different deadening foams still takes an ear trained to notice the distinction.

The issue you've specifically called out (dropped inputs when multiple keys are pressed) is solved with a feature called "N-Key Rollover", which in basic terms means the keyboard will send more than (typically) 6 key-presses simultaneously to the computer. I don't think there are any serious boards out there that don't have it at this point?

The main question you have to ask yourself now is if you want a 60%, 65%, 75%, TKL (ten-keyless), 100%, Alice-style, or Ergodox-style board. There are plusses and minuses to each layout, where shifting functionality to layers frees up more space on your desk and reduces the distance your hands & fingers move. After that most pre-builts will offer the choice between a standard selection of linear switches (no bump before the bottom), tactile (bump before the bottom, without attempting to make noise), and clicky (bump before the bottom with a design intended to signal activation with a "click" noise). You can get inexpensive ($10-$20) tester packs with a selection of different kinds of switches so you can figure out what you like. Pre-builts will come with decent, functional keycaps. You can replace them later to color-coordinate or give your board some individual character.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

It's ridiculous and I love it and I'm in.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

redeyes posted:

Don't use them for gaming thats for sure. Other than that, you have weak fingers. Make them stronger.

On the flipside: My gorilla-fingers need the resistance tactiles/clickies offer. Otherwise I won't realize that I'm pressing a button. Nothing wrong with gaming on Blues if that's your preference.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

I haven't heard anything from Exit Strategy either. Hope you're doing okay, pal.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

A few weeks ago, my Odin came in, and now it's built:

Black case, brass plate, Kailh Box Navies, and the NicePBT British Racing Green set. I like the switches overall, but I'm not sold on the caps. The colors are good, but I like the greater variety of heights in something like the MT3 caps. That said, the price for the full set is really good.

It's loud and thocky and having macros makes my life better. Overall very happy.

Wizard of the Deep fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jan 25, 2022

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Exit Strategy posted:

And now, having recovered from my post-covid fatigue:

Work begins on assembly. The first unit is now Done, save for the baseplate needing new cuts to accommodate some updates.

That's super-exciting, and I'm glad you're feeling better!

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Unsinkabear posted:

We had to talk ourselves out of buying $45 worth of switch testers (a linear set for her and a tactile for me) along with this pile of other poo poo we don't need, because we were FOMOing hard about what to put in our boards and wanting to try every switch in existence before we choose.

I will never have money again and I blame all of you.

Spending money on testers will save you money in the long run. You can target switches you like and avoid the ones you don't care for. Gotta spend to save :shepspends:

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

ijyt posted:

Has anyone heard from Exit Strategy btw? They've not posted since March :ohdear:

I haven't heard anything, and I've been watching this thread closely for any updates. I PM'd them back on 3/19 about shipping stuff, but never heard back. Hope they're okay.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Eric the Mauve posted:

Does anyone know if he's alive? :(

I've got a name and address for Exit Strategy from having the Bobas shipped directly to him. I did some OSINT review last week based on that info, and didn't see any news articles/obituaries. I am legit worried at this point.

Someone mentioned having seen him on Discord a couple months back. I'm not sure which server(s) that'd be, but if there's some communication/activity there I'd like to know.

Beyond that, I'm not sure if Internet Explorer or Movax have any thoughts/guidance. I've got a name, physical address, and email address, but I don't want to share that willy-nilly.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

My keychron k7 is pretty solid. No bad experiences here.

Check this thing out

https://kwumsy.com/products/kwumsy-usb-mechanical-keyboard

I had a bad first impression of this board but the more I think about it the more I like it for a Linux terminal.

Aside from the name being a big clumsy, it's got a Lndicator Light! How can you say "no" to that?

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

For clarity's sake, I'm only out the cost of the Boba U4Ts I had sent to Exit Strategy directly. I hadn't sent him the actual cost of the keyboard yet, because I figured either the price would increase (he could have decided his time was worth more, and that's perfectly fair!), and there was always the paranoia that he would flake. My last PM to him was to confirm the price.

And I still want the keyboard. But at this point, I'm not comfortable sending any money until after I've received it and tested it.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Fullsize+ keyboard fans: The Boston 120% is in group buy round 2:

https://rndkbd.com/collections/keyboard-kits-cases/products/boston-keyboard-kit

I've never purchased from them before, so yea. I'm buying with a credit card with good protections, but I can't get shafted twice on a big keyboard, right? :v:

Wizard of the Deep fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jun 3, 2022

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

ijyt posted:

I wasn't going to engage but then I saw some poor guy asking about buying something from him, so grenade tossed.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Feels bad man. Is he really just an out and out scammer then?

The most charitable interpretation I can imagine (based on the facts in this thread, I'm not in the QMK discord) is he's still focused as a hobbyist who realized actually selling his creations was too much work. He could enjoy showing off his creations, and someone else asked about getting one for themselves in exactly the same way we did in this thread. If he's smart and ethical, ES would turn down the inquiry.

This is the absolute best-case scenario I can conjure. I'm not inclined to offer that much charity at the moment.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Welp.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

There's also Key Caplendar. I don't know that it's completely comprehensive, but it's got all the established vendors I'm familiar with.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

death cob for cutie posted:

Box Jades are the loudest motherfuckers, I love them.

They're like typing with a tiny, beautiful machine gun.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

ZombieCrew posted:

I think im leaning towards a Mountain Everest Max. Anyone have any experience with one of these? I dont care so much about the 10key being moveable, but i really want a metal frame full size.

I've got one in storage downstairs. It's good and fine. I mainly replaced it because it didn't have five-pin switch support, and I wanted to play with more stuff. I might bring it back upstairs at some point, but I've got more options than I have use-cases/space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

ZombieCrew posted:

What are you currently using?

Right now? A PixelSense Endless 80 on my daily-use personal desktop, a NovelKeys NK87 v1 (with some paper washers on the stabs to fix the shorting) on my gaming PC, and an Odin v1 on my work laptop. I've got a Boston 120% on the way, and that may replace my Endless 80 as a daily driver. Not sure yet.

I generally like TKLs; they're the smallest I can go without losing important keys that I regularly use. The Odin is an 1800 layout, and I absolutely need a numpad for some of the work I do.

I rarely ended up using the detachable numpad on my Everest. More often than not it got in the way, both plugged and unplugged.

Wizard of the Deep fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Sep 15, 2022