Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
i built this beast last weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Mr. Mercury posted:

How you liking the manuform? I came very close to making one before getting boards for sofle way back when

LochNessMonster posted:

I’m going to finish my sofle over the holidays (for real, I swear!) and then see if I can build a manuform.

Going to reply to both of you since my answer is related!

I have been using a Kinesis Advantage 2 on-and-off for a couple years so I was already used to the columnar/concave layout, but it does take some adjusting. Thankfully it takes no effort after that adjustment period to switch back and forth between normal staggered flat keyboards and these... creatures.

As for the Sofle's relation: I actually started soldering again after like 8 years with a Sofle kit, because I 1) didn't want to reintroduce soldering on a Dactyl Manuform and 2) was settling for what I thought was cheaper but was not significantly so.

And, I did not finish the Sofle kit. I got the left side built and working relatively well, but, to be honest, the way it's designed kinda blows in my experience, the stand off screws are just, too few and it's so easy to push the pcb off the switches in the "plate" and fixing it is annoying. I also couldn't get the right side to work with serial, but I think it's cause I did something wrong as gently caress.

The dactyl was overall MUCH more enjoyable to work on (even though it took like 30 hours of wiring + soldering and another 12 hours of chasing down a firmware issue (I can elaborate on this too if you run into anything weird, and what ended up getting me to the finish line was flashing the sofle on just to test the controller and keystrokes and then cloning it's config.h file)

Otherwise "It Just Worked" (I thankfully ONLY Had firmware issues, not anything physically related to the build went wrong).

I got mine from diykeyboards.com, which sells a case+bottom plate + hardware kit for like 180 bucks if you forgo switches and keycaps and supply your own. There are also already-printed cases that are on sale rn I think? I grabbed a 4x6 for 30 bucks with no hardware.

If I do another 5x6 one day I'll probably try to shove a trackball onto it.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I wish there was an easier way to browse the handwired category in QMK, especially since a lot of them don't have pictures (or only do on github itself) and I just want to work on another one :(

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Thirst Mutilator posted:

What're good options for split keyboards aside from the Iris, Moonlander, and Ergodox EZ? Don't mind some soldering.

Sorely tempted by the NK87 EE and some of their desk pads too though

i love my dactyl manuform

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Just build a Dactyl Manuform :getin:

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

repiv posted:

those are there for a reason, the other F and J have a different style of homing indicator, and the extra B is for alice layouts that have B on both sides

my keyboard on my z fold 4 is split like that and I didn't realize how often I'd hit B with my left hand until I couldn't 😢

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
after putting it off for literal months i got the keyboard on the top working with basic functionality..... qmk is so annoying

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Puddin posted:

Putting this in both this and the mouse thread, but are there any recs for a wireless keyboard and mouse combo for casual couch gaming?

I'm open to getting a each separate if that's a work around

i'd just get a logitech combo

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

BRICKFACE posted:

are those little LCDs??

those look really fun

yeah I need to fix the firmware for the LCDs so they play bongocat

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I found transitioning from the Kinesis advantage 2 to the Dactyl Manuform was super easy, tbh

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I mean, my first keyboard was an absolute workhorse from WASD, almost ten years ago now. Figured I'd give them my money since they're a local company. But it was Cherry Reds, and a TKL, and it turns that I have hands that are too heavy for Reds, and I use the numpad more than I realized. That keyboard is now ten years old, having been subjected to a combination of heavy gaming transitioning to office work/light gaming, still chugging along, and has outlasted two Filco numpads and is working alongside a third cheapo chinese numpad off aliexpress.

This and the Model Ms of my youth are the standard to which modern keyboards are being held to.

Since then, about five years ago, I have gone through:

* Another WASD which lasted about three years before it would just start to hang every so often without a disconnect, necessitating unplugging and replugging to get working again.
* A Corsair board that I very quickly passed off to stepbrothers that think RGB is a feature instead of a blight. Had zero settings persistence, and required that the Corsair software be running in the background at all times. No thank you.
* A Roccat board that would intermittently not register keypresses after a year of use, or sometimes hold down a key long after being released. The RMA replacement is sitting in the box it came in, gonna flip it.
* A Keychron Q6 with terrible QA, there was a significant burr along the top outside edge of case
* A Keychron V6 which was really expensive for not significantly better than the Corsair.
* A GMMK that I found on deep discount. There's a reason why it was on deep discount. The switches were scratchy, and the plate tolerances ginormous, making the hotswap mounting wobbly as poo poo, pulling out with the keycaps, and I know to wiggle keycaps, I have been using mechanical keyboards at least that long.

None of these keyboards except the very first WASD TKL have received liquid damage. That one, I disassembled, cleaned with 99% iso, relubed, and dried, and still continues to work flawlessly.

I dunno. Did I get lucky with the very first mechanical keyboard I bought? I'm tired of looking for a new keyboard every few years. I already put up with enough of that poo poo with mice.

Honestly at this point just build a handwired or non hand wired one. Then if anything fails you can just replace those parts.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Colemak supremacy

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I like being able to set the right side away from my mouse mat and having tons mousing space for fps

I get dactyl manuform kits from DIYkeyboards.

ziasquinn fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Oct 10, 2023

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Alice isn't actually that ergonomic (I hear) so it's just a meme anyway

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Need goons to vicariously live through

https://mechboards.co.uk/products/hyper-7-v4?variant=41877334720717

173% Keyboard.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
fake keyboard enthusiasts

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Just get a CIY GAS67 off AliExpress

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Usually that kinda stuff is written to the controller in the keyboard. At least in QMK and VIA(L) cases

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
i'm gonna be honest, razer sucks

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I think you have to use a hardware/firmware remap if you want it to work in rdp but honestly, it seems hit or miss even then depending on the software for me too.

I think you can do registry edits too that do it?

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
tear up all your carpet and replace with hardwood

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
stupidly didn't get a hot swap body for my dactyl manuform when I built it last year, so I spent 9 hrs the other day desoldering every switch and replacing them with elf silents. (change from box whites)

so silent and quiet now.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
diykeyboards.com has some options for hot swapping switches.

also comes with everything you need.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I vouch for teh ducky

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I really appreciate this great discussion on ergonomics. I want to take better care of my body and I appreciate the wisdom of goons itt.

Kinesis Advantage Pro arrives tomorrow :) I am excited!!!

This is what got me started on it. Wrote so much on my Kinesis Advantage 2 ten years ago. I use it sculpted WASD JKL: keys on my Dactyl Manuform.

I completely agree with the comfort and ergonomic benefits of using a split keyboard. I have an Ergodox-ez coming tomorrow, which is ridiculous cause it just left Taiwan this morning.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

runchild posted:

What's the answer to this if you add wireless to the criteria?

https://www.keebmonkey.com/products/ciy-gas67-gasket-keyboard-kit

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
splits are sick for gaming tho cause you get so much mouse room

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
the goat is actually

https://idobao.net/products/idobao-x-kailh-ultra-quiet-mx-switches

Idobao x Kailh Elves

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
you get the premium of the superior box stem and the satisfying tactile bump while remaining utterly silenced

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I jumped into hand wiring and configuring (via QMK) a dactyl manuform and it was a ton of fun and i learned a ton. https://docs.qmk.fm/#/

I know you can enable Via/Vial through QMK but haven't been able to "pull it off" and now i'm playing with an ergodox so I just use their online configuration system (similar to QMK configurator but works like via/vial where you can flash it right from the site).

Honestly a lot of keyboard hobbyist stuff is just dense but not impossible to pierce and you can pick it up and "Do it right(ish)" pretty easily, imo, especially if you have the right mindset about it.

Keep going!

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
just get a ducky wth

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
"no you should definitely gently caress with the company that is notoriously absent in QC and customer service" ??????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Discussion Quorum posted:

I almost went with a Ducky One 3 but saw some talk of dodgy QC on those as well. Between the two, a local return/exchange option carried the day, and I don't think that's unreasonable for recommending something.

You know what, yes. As long as no one is getting Razer poo poo in here