Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Anybody been to Bali?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

No but I've had a lot of friends go

They say it's nice but very third world once you leave your tourist trap

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
I really like smoked eel, but sadly it's critically endangered so I don't eat it anymore. I also actually like pike for some reason, too bad I'm almost phobic about fish bones...

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Wait so should i not be eating unagi sushi rolls then

Edit: god loving dammit I shouldn't loving shitballs

FAT32 SHAMER fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jul 29, 2017

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Well, unagi rolls should be made from japanese eel, which is "only" endagered, not critically endangered. Whether that's enough for you, search your feelings. Also, I guess some unagi rolls might not be made with strictly japanese eel, I dunno.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Goddammit. I love eel.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Can't wait for vat grown meat. It's totally possible now it's just a cost issue.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

fridge corn posted:

Anybody been to Bali?

Full of tourist traps and drunk racist Australians.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

KakerMix posted:

Can't wait for vat grown meat.
Yeah, until it gets voted into office.

Though that might be an improvement.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Terry Pratchett had a theory that people get more like their national stereotypes the greater the distance they are from their home country. One specific example was "Australians, everywhere".

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KakerMix posted:

Can't wait for vat grown meat. It's totally possible now it's just a cost issue.

Never heard of this, so I googled it.

:psypop:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Vat grown meat is really cool and raises a lot of questions about things like religious and moral food restrictions. Like, I wonder if a cheeseburger with vat grown meat is kosher.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Kazinsal posted:

Vat grown meat is really cool and raises a lot of questions about things like religious and moral food restrictions. Like, I wonder if a cheeseburger with vat grown meat is kosher.

Kosher /Halil set their standard on cleaniness (A pig is seen as a unclean and to be fair they are harbours of a lot of diseases that affect humans - at the time of the introduction of dietery rules eating pig was just asking for a horrible disease) and also how the animal is slaughtered and also prepared (avoiding unnecessary suffering, proper and fast bleeding out etc) so as long as you dont contaminate the vat grown meat with non kosher / halil food it'll be good after it was certified.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Never heard of this, so I googled it.

:psypop:

It's really only a matter of time. And it's as real as meat can be too, but I'm sure people will do the whole 'well the imperfections and wasted energy on the stuff I don't eat makes the stuff I do eat better!'

Technology like this means eels for everyone, strange and exotic meats like bushmeat without the risks, chemically-identical Kobe beef outside of Japan, go even crazier and grow up some human meat, why not.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Kosher /Halil set their standard on cleaniness (A pig is seen as a unclean and to be fair they are harbours of a lot of diseases that affect humans - at the time of the introduction of dietery rules eating pig was just asking for a horrible disease) and also how the animal is slaughtered and also prepared (avoiding unnecessary suffering, proper and fast bleeding out etc) so as long as you dont contaminate the vat grown meat with non kosher / halil food it'll be good after it was certified.

As with many things, the Better off Ted episode on this topic is gold.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Goddamnit guys. You're making me hungry as poo poo, and I'm stuck here until maintenance decides to show up. Don't really have anything here except cereal. :mad:

Salmon is my favorite fish by far.

Fo3 posted:

All my fish comes in cans. tuna, sardines, mackeral. but not salmon, never ever get tinned salmon.

Yeah, seems like the shaft seals. My garden tap is like that. Slightly open and leaks around the shaft, fully hard open, the brass on brass seal is good enough to stop leaks. Though look forward to water hammer if your building is susceptible to that. I can't have my washing machine taps fully open due to that.

Yeah uh... speaking of that. Guess it was still dripping a little overnight, I walked in to water all over the kitchen floor. Thought maybe I'd left a hose loose on the washer, so I pulled it out a bit.. yeah, one hose had a single drop of water hanging off at the washer end, it was finger tight, but... water is coming out from under the baseboard. Tried turning the valves off so I could unhook the washer, got a mini geyser around the stem of both until they were GUTENTITE off.. now it's a drip around the cold water stem and a trickle from both valves. At least I have a shutoff on my water heater, so now it's only the cold one leaking.

The on-call maintenance guy told me to hook the hoses up and run them into the drain and he'll get here Monday. Yeah uh, that ain't gonna work buddy.. not only will they not shut off all the way, they're still leaking around the stems even when gutentite off. I've got them run into a bucket, but it's only a 1 gallon... already about 1/4 full after 20 minutes. And I'm sure my downstairs neighbor has some water damage. Maint guy said he'll be here in an hour when I got him to understand that water was coming out around the stems and going into the wall.

Just took a few pictures of the seriously hosed up drain they have in the washer box. Those boxes are designed to catch leaks like that and run them into the drain.. someone hacked out the molded-in drain and jammed a pipe through the hole, and put 5 pounds of caulk around it. Playing a bit of CYA in case they try to blame me for anything (like when they blamed my Nest for "burning up the furnace and melting the wires from the breaker to the condenser" - now I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure it was the progressively larger breakers they kept slamming in that melted that 12 gauge wire run).

e: just realized it's been over an hour since they said they'd be here in "45 minutes". :golfclap: Bucket is almost half full now.

Wrar posted:

As with many things, the Better off Ted episode on this topic is gold.

Holy poo poo, I'm not the only one who's watched this?

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jul 30, 2017

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

isnt kobe and wugu just what an old japanese man feeds the cow to make it kobe/wugu

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Goddamnit guys. You're making me hungry as poo poo, and I'm stuck here until maintenance decides to show up. Don't really have anything here except cereal. :mad:

You know how to summon me. :quagmire:

E: totally ok with vat-grown meats. I eat the veggie/biomass things with p good result. Keeps the lights on and doesn't cause me to poo poo like a goose? in it goes.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jul 30, 2017

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

isnt kobe and wugu just what an old japanese man feeds the cow to make it kobe/wugu

Wagyu is the breed, kobe is the prefecture where its raised. Its fed beer and grain i think. And massaged. Its super well marbled and real kobe is near impossible to find in the usa.

E: now that my pasture is actually pasture I want to get wagyu embryos and start a herd but they aren't cheap.

rdb fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jul 30, 2017

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Only took 3 1/2 hours to get someone out here. Every time I'd call, he said he didn't want to drive 45 minutes and it could wait until Monday, even when I told him I had water coming out of the wall.

All he did was tighten the top nut on the valves. Fixed the leak around the stems, but they still won't turn off all the way. Asked him if he could wait 2 minutes while I hook up the washer to see if they leak under pressure. "Nope, I ain't got no time for that, I done already drove 45 minutes to do this for you". Told him he should check the ceiling downstairs for damage, "nope, we don't go in unless they call" (which is bullshit, I've come home and found them in my apartment when I had no work orders open).

Sure enough.. hooked it back up... leaking from the stem on one of them. Ran outside to catch him, he saw me and hauled rear end out of here.

:fuckoff:

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Holy poo poo, I'm not the only one who's watched this?

No you definitely are not. Much like Arrested Development, Better Off Ted was a television show too good and smart for its audience. That's why it was cancelled. Ironically there were some AD alumni that showed up on that show too.

SWEEP THE LEG!!!

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Why the gently caress is only S2 of Better off Ted available on Netflix?!

Also, I'm making a height ruler thing for my two (step)kids. gently caress painted-on pinterest bullshit. In my house, if a cutter or blade isn't involved, it isn't fun. Even if that means breaking your router bit and using an end mill as an emergency replacement.

When all you have is a lathe and 3 inch brass bar stock, every problem starts looking like it can be solved with brass.

I would have 3D printed a custom spacer for the router (with maybe three sides corresponding to the depths I needed for the three line lengths), but it's currently being used to print a shop vac to ryobi palm sander adapter.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Did someone say "Hey you don't have any kids and are not in a coma/therefore aware that Domalg motherfuckin LMAO Trump is president, you should eat a loving ton of eel?"

Because that's what I heard

Don't worry though, I wrecked a few generations worth of salmon too

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

rdb posted:

kobe is the prefecture where its raised. Its fed beer and grain i think. And massaged.

Yeah, it's pretty much the definition of food fetish.

QuarkMartial posted:

Goddammit. I love eel.

If you live in/around Oregon- Baja California coast line, you can go poke poleing for these delicious bastards: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monkeyface_prickleback

Super easy to prep, the spine goes perfectly verticle down the middle. Chop head off, slice as close to the spine as possible on both sides, peel off skin like a banana, batter, deep fry, eat.

keykey fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jul 30, 2017

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Why in christs name would you deep fry eel instead of broil it WHAT THE gently caress IS WRONG WITH YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Reading old newspapers. in 1974, there's a help wanted ad for snow removal/lawnmowing that today would pay between minimum wage of $12.20 and around $16, and they're offering $3.50 an hour, minimum wage at the time was $1.90. Mowing lawns should pay $22 an hour at the same ratio over minimum wage.

In the same paper, a new Mazda 808 coupe was $3,190. That's 1679 hours or 42 weeks at minimum wage. 911 hours mowing lawns and shoveling snow or 23 weeks mowing lawns/shoveling snow.

At the current minimum wage, 1679 hours is $20,483, a base mazda 3 is $19,550. 911 hours at $16/hour is $14,576.

Then 3 bedroom bi-level house rental was $220 a month. 116 hours at minimum wage, 63 hours mowing lawns, 40% of pretax income.
Now, that same house would probably be around $1800 a month. 147 hours at minimum wage. 113 hours mowing lawns.71% of pretax income

In the classifieds, there's a 1964 impala hard top, asking $375. 197 hours at minimum wage or 107 hours mowing lawns. 197 hours at minimum wage today would be $2,403. 107 hours at $16/hour would be $1,712.

an hour at minimum wage then would buy 1 pound of t-bone steak, 2 pounds of coffee, or 20 oranges.
an hour at minimum wage now would buy 1 pound of t-bone steak, 1.8 pounds of coffee, around 12 oranges.

So apart from housing, most things required to live haven't gotten significantly less attainable based on minimum wage. It's mostly a matter of wages being continually beaten down and housing getting out of control. Life probably wouldn't suck for so many people if minimum wage was seen as a sign of abuse instead of a guideline for unskilled labor.

Also funny: loving cyclists :argh:

e: found a 1 bedroom house in 1973 for $50/month. 26 hours at minimum wage. 26 hours at today's min wage would be $317. You can't even rent a bedroom in a shared house for $317. a one bedroom basement suite is $800.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jul 30, 2017

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Why in christs name would you deep fry eel instead of broil it WHAT THE gently caress IS WRONG WITH YOU

Your taste buds are defective

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Had my three best friends over last night and grilled a poo poo ton of pork and a few steaks. One of my buddies brought over pineapple (gently caress grilled pineapple is delicious) and lobster tail. Many beers were had. Good times.

gently caress chiggers though. God drat I'm itchy.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
"Hello, the forged pistons you sold me as having some damage on them (for £80 when a new set is £500) have some damage on them".

Ebay.txt

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I gave up on Ebay after having to open two unpaid item cases in a row and never getting paid. I've just about given up on trying to sell anything online because between Craigslist scammers and bullshit artists and Ebay's refusal to ban non paying accounts it's not worth my time.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Ebay has been poo poo for a long time. Especially when it changed from being an online auction site to being a marketplace for people to sell market stall poo poo at prices higher than supermarkets.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I've offered him a 25% refund to account for one being a little bit worse than he's happy with, because frankly I'm not that bothered, but if he wants to cut off his nose to spite his face and return them, fine. Good luck finding another set for less than twice that money.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

where did you go when you were there?

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
Decided to finally fix up a loose tap, dug out my plumbers wrench, idly thought about goggles as I maneuvered into place, get it nice and tight and WHAM rust/calcium chunks right in my eye. Eyebath sorted the eye but not my sense of stupid, hence the confession. Wear em.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

BigPaddy posted:

Ebay has been poo poo for a long time. Especially when it changed from being an online auction site to being a marketplace for people to sell market stall poo poo at prices higher than supermarkets.

I thought Ebay was just a storefront for Chinese/Russian pirated goods.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
I'll buy from ebay, but won't sell anymore. If it's worth less than $1-200 it goes into the trash or is given away to a friend that'd use it.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'll still sell low-value items but for the most part, stuff I can't sell to Half Price Books just gets donated to Goodwill for a tax write-off.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
In all honesty, it's not that bad most of the time, but it's definitely not as good as it used to be.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I think it depends somewhat on what you're selling, too. I would not sell used parts - for cars, or computers, or anything else. It's just too easy for the buyer to break it and then insist you sold a broken part, or to be too stupid to read the description that the part is used.

On the other hand I've had no problem selling books or antiques.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

DesperateDan posted:

Decided to finally fix up a loose tap, dug out my plumbers wrench, idly thought about goggles as I maneuvered into place, get it nice and tight and WHAM rust/calcium chunks right in my eye. Eyebath sorted the eye but not my sense of stupid, hence the confession. Wear em.

:agreed: eyeballs don't grow back.

Sitting in a recliner with a six week old baby sleeping on you is some of the best therapy life has to offer. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Meant to give the basement a thorough tidying, but life got in the way. Gave it an hour just now, and you can actually see the floor for the first time in months.

• Locked thread