Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

he's exported from the colonies to the detroit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

The pics of the big sky with red earth always get me

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

This is intriguing as hell. I wish I was mechanically skilled enough to build something like this! Hopefully I run into him again so I can grill him about the car.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Ferremit posted:

Nah its all good. Most people just dont get outback driving. When your on a road like this

Its no big deal at all doing 100-110kph, even towing (Usually sit on 100 when towing cos otherwise the big girl drinks like an alcoholic at a brewery). the issue is that if your towing an offroad camper trailer and the wheel comes off, shes going to dig in and drag to the side, pull you off the edge of the road and THATS when your in deep poo poo cos once your in that soft sand at speed its game over.

Thats basically the setup, except thats a 200 series not a 100 series like I drive.

Last time I was out vaguely in that direction I found a road like that and just opened the Commodore up. Man that was fun and scary

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
Excuse me for being uninformed, but why does the trailer have a tire so far back. I would think that would gently caress up tongue weighting and reduce break over angle.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

theres a lot of weight out the back on these, 90L water tank behind the rear axles. They actually tow REALLY REALLY well. They are heavier on the tow tongue than other models of campers, but still around the 10% of ATM rule so its not so bad. also having more of the storage between the suspension on the trailer and the rear suspension on the tow vehicle means your gear doesnt get shaken around as much.

Most of the time when your offroad you tend to smash the tailgate end of a trailer into the ground rather than the drawbar, and if your going into creek steep creek crossings you want a shorter overhang at the rear than a long one.

They're stupidly capable campers offroad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aReX0H4eZ4Y

And super well equipped too!

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

My neighbours basement is flooding and their sump pump is consequently flooding our yards. They appear to be gone for the long weekend and I can hear the water at the source running but there isn't a valve I can turn off. I tried calling the non emergency phone line but they told me they can't have officers break in to verify that there is a catastrophic leakage on the property and I don't have their phone number and none of their neighbours are home

What do I do

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

My neighbours basement is flooding and their sump pump is consequently flooding our yards. They appear to be gone for the long weekend and I can hear the water at the source running but there isn't a valve I can turn off. I tried calling the non emergency phone line but they told me they can't have officers break in to verify that there is a catastrophic leakage on the property and I don't have their phone number and none of their neighbours are home

What do I do

Break a window.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Forgiveness over permission.

Or cut it off at the main.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Can you stop being so sickeningly cutesy on facebook Rhyno!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Ferremit posted:

Can you stop being so sickeningly cutesy on facebook Rhyno!

You mean the engagement photos?

Strap in buddy, it ain't over yet.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

QuarkMartial posted:

Forgiveness over permission.

Or cut it off at the main.

I think all the mains are inside the basement so unless I get the DPW involved... in the morning :rip:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I think all the mains are inside the basement so unless I get the DPW involved... in the morning :rip:

Just go hit their meter with a hammer a lot.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Theres gotta be a mains shut off at the street, otherwise you'd never be able to hook the house to the mains in the first place without shutting down an entire block.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Ferremit posted:

Theres gotta be a mains shut off at the street, otherwise you'd never be able to hook the house to the mains in the first place without shutting down an entire block.

In my house at least the water main with the meter is in the basement near where it comes into the house. When I go outside there isn't a pip exposed so it must be underground

I'll just let the city handle it I guess since I don't want to be charged with touching someone else's something especially if this leads to extensive property damage on my part (it probably won't unless my fence sinks 8")

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Should I be concerned of an electrical fire?

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Letterkenny season 3 is out you fuckin' degens. Pitter patter.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Rhyno posted:

You mean the engagement photos?

Strap in buddy, it ain't over yet.

Well poo poo, no more Rhyno is a jerk....?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Should I be concerned of an electrical fire?

Best put it out.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Rhyno posted:

This is intriguing as hell. I wish I was mechanically skilled enough to build something like this! Hopefully I run into him again so I can grill him about the car.

I've been a Club Protege member for more than a decade and I still can't stand the place. At least now its the diehards, before it was garbage tacked onto slow cars. Now it is bespoke garbage on fragile slow cars.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

In my house at least the water main with the meter is in the basement near where it comes into the house. When I go outside there isn't a pip exposed so it must be underground

I'll just let the city handle it I guess since I don't want to be charged with touching someone else's something especially if this leads to extensive property damage on my part (it probably won't unless my fence sinks 8")

There is almost always a meter with shutoff valve somewhere near the edge of the property where they do the meter reading. I seriously doubt that they come into your basement to read the meter.

Having said that, sounds like you've done what you could, and letting the city handle it (assuming that you reported it to the water department?) is probably your best bet at this point.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Well poo poo, no more Rhyno is a jerk....?

I haven't been angry in 4 months.

DJ Commie posted:

I've been a Club Protege member for more than a decade and I still can't stand the place. At least now its the diehards, before it was garbage tacked onto slow cars. Now it is bespoke garbage on fragile slow cars.

I'm a registered member there but I have never posted. Haven't owned an EGT in a decade so no real point.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Rhyno posted:

I haven't been angry in 4 months.

Ive been seething mass of hatred for just about everything for a while now. Except cats and Subarus

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

The Locator posted:

There is almost always a meter with shutoff valve somewhere near the edge of the property where they do the meter reading. I seriously doubt that they come into your basement to read the meter.

Last time I went remotely north, I saw lots of houses with all of the meters in the basement (gas, power, water). They had some electronics bits to transmit usage.

Older houses often had a similar setup, except you'd self-report now and then, with any weird variations resulting in them sending someone out.

cakesmith handyman posted:

He's in a top floor apartment so this involves a balcony or window? :v:

My windows open up to my balcony. :mad:

spog posted:

Did you go for a piss every 20mins, throughout the entire evening? Do you have a TV mounted above your cistern, so you can follow the plot?

Or do you simply wander around your yard for the entire evening, with your cock out, simultaneously drinking and leaving a trail of piss?

Mostly the former, without the TV bit, since I don't watch TV much.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Ferremit posted:

And super well equipped too!

:drat: that's one hell of a trailer

cakesmith handyman posted:

Best put it out.
Sorry we just finished rewatching The IT Crowd so this is all I could think of

Septic inspection on the possible new house today...since the current owners have no idea where the tank is and there's no record WTF? Have a massive list of measurements to get while I'm there as well so we can start planning furniture layout.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

The Locator posted:

There is almost always a meter with shutoff valve somewhere near the edge of the property where they do the meter reading. I seriously doubt that they come into your basement to read the meter

Look at this scrub who has never lived where it snows. My gas and water meters are in my basement. Electrical is on the outside though.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

beep-beep car is go posted:

Look at this scrub who has never lived where it snows. My gas and water meters are in my basement. Electrical is on the outside though.

It snows here, but my house was built within the past 20 years. With that, main gas shutoff on side of house, electric meter on side of house (no shutoff switch, but break the seal and pull the meter and it's a disconnect), water is ~2' underground, underground and tough to get to, but possible, certainly so with a situation like TT's.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

What do I do

Know where they work? Call and see if they can get contact info.

Failing that, use your county property tax info to find out who owns the property and you can probably find either them or a relative on Facebook. If no FB, Google up a relative with a listed house phone.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

What do I do

Can you extend the output from the sump pump so it doesn't flood the yards, and extend it to a drain or further way?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
I have no cats, dogs, or kids.
However I havehad some oysters.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
oysters r good

i prefer them grilled with lemon and hot sauce but raw is nice too

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

angryrobots posted:

Know where they work? Call and see if they can get contact info.

Failing that, use your county property tax info to find out who owns the property and you can probably find either them or a relative on Facebook. If no FB, Google up a relative with a listed house phone.
Yeah I tried, unfortunately I can't find the correct N. Singh on Facebook and the county doesn't list phone numbers next to names :/

Tomarse posted:

Can you extend the output from the sump pump so it doesn't flood the yards, and extend it to a drain or further way?
This is basically what I did.

I got ahold of the city inspectors after talking to DPW and they're going to come check it out right away. They said the sump pump should be draining into the storm drain which means this may be the backup pump

Either way hopefully there isn't too much damage

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Seminal Flu posted:

electric meter on side of house (no shutoff switch, but break the seal and pull the meter and it's a disconnect),

What sort of backwater NEC-ignoring shithole is this in? I know they make meter-only enclosures but they are supposed to be tied in directly into a main panel with a disconnect.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

DJ Commie posted:

What sort of backwater NEC-ignoring shithole is this in? I know they make meter-only enclosures but they are supposed to be tied in directly into a main panel with a disconnect.

It's Ohio, we have our own rules. Honestly, though, I just went out and looked. There's a box, probably with some type of disconnect inside, and the meter sticks through the face of the box. Either way, open the box to disconnect power. :shrug:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I LOST THE KEYS TO THE PT

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

DJ Commie posted:

Nah you just need a main breaker in whatever panel comes off the meter.

It's preferable to have some shutoff outside fire safety and fire reasons, but that's not NEC required, only in some local codes. Here the fire dept pulls the meter regardless of shutoff. Of course, they make CT meter bases where pulling the meter doesn't actually kill the power, hopefully they know enough to throw a disconnect if they ever come across one of those. =/

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

The city came out and dug up the main and turned his water off

Apparently it's been going for long enough to have used several thousand gallons :rip:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Rhyno posted:

I LOST THE KEYS TO THE PT

You are just not having a great week are you?

Although, at least this way it can't break your back again.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

You are just not having a great week are you?

Although, at least this way it can't break your back again.

I don't think the lump in my back and the missing keys are related.

UNLESS THE LUMP IS THE KEYS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004
Spent all my free time this weekend, in the driveway, wrenching on the car. Sunday evening comes around and it's back together for a test-drive and immediately I can hear something is wrong. Turns out, for the size tire i switched to, I need hub-centric spacers on the front to push the wheels out & away from the strut tower. Great... now I've put my hopes of cruising the car to camping on thursday in jeopardy because im depending on an over-night shipment being sent the monday before a holiday. Way to go, me.

edit: company's customer support has been helpful. Tracking # in hand! Heres to hoping i have the right part on order

stone soup fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jul 3, 2017

• Locked thread