Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Thanks for the racing game options. I am not investing in a wheel/pedal setup to play one game, so I'll be picking something lighter that I can play on a game pad of some sort. I do have windows 10, and I am interested in both street and rally type games so I'll do some investigating.

The best source of Cod is wild caught Alaskan, and that is generally true of any fish available as wild caught from Alaska. Alaska has the best managed fishery in the world, bar none. For further reading, check out Monterey Bay Aquarium's fish guides: http://www.seafoodwatch.org/
They have an app and little printable wallet inserts you can bring with you to grocery stores to help pick out sustainable, responsible fish options and I encourage everyone to do that.

In terms of impact on environment, farmed, freshwater vegetarian fish are good, and that includes farmed tilapia from certain countries, but also catfish. Farmed carniverous fish like salmon are pretty bad - the farming operations are making improvements but they're still pretty terrible both for the environment and for the wild fish populations, plus they feed them fishmeal so you're just converting mass-netted fish from depleted fisheries into farmed salmon etc. Line-caught fish are better than net-caught because line-caught radically reduces bycatch (unwanted fish that are caught along with the target species, which generally die too). And very bad are fishing methods involving dragging along the bottom, because those destroy habitat.

That's just touching the surface though, read the fish guides on seafoodwatch for a lot more really good info and they keep it pretty up to date with ongoing technology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

BraveUlysses posted:

sometimes i buy fresh but i'm on the best coast, otherwise i've had good luck buying frozen from kroger and costco.

thaw, batter and fry for fish tacos

also, I prefer grilled. Soak your thawed codfish pieces in a mix of lime juice, a tablespoon or two of cooking oil, (smoked) paprika, a little salt, chili powder, cayenne, cumin, and (unless you have the gene that makes it taste like soap to you) cilantro. Give it maybe 30 to 60 minutes. Then get a nice hot grill or pan going and grill over high heat for just a minute or two per side, add to your warm fresh tortillas along with a spicy mayo sauce, some kind of vinegary coleslaw/pico de gallo type concoction, and if you're into it, maybe a slice of avocado.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I'd check out Grid 2. It's a very fun arcade racing game.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
I very much liked project cars for a sim to arcade level game. I've only played it with a wheel though. My room mates and I try to keep a drunk driving leader board for it in the house. Also grid autosport was fun for an arcade-sim game.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

As a fan of destruction derby back in the 90s I thought wreckfest was a pretty fun car game - but I haven't played it for 6 months now so I don't know if they have fixed any of the annoying bugs.

my new car has a trip hour counter in addition to a trip mileage counter. Why don't all cars have hour counters?

Over the last 13 days I have spent 23.5 hours driving :(

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

keykey posted:

Talk to your supervisor, you'd be surprised at how flexible they are. I finished my bachelors while working ramping up to 24 units the final 2 semesters. Working 40 hours a week, hybrid program (online/face to face), and owning a side business. The last semester my wife was gone to Costa Rica getting hours in for her field and we had 2 kids.

This is Georgia we're talking about, home of the almighty bootstrap

And since he's married it's not feasible to nolife for two years doing 80 hours of work plus school plus homework

I did a year of working 70 hours a week with a full load of uni and my will to live has yet to return to a full tank after that

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Seminal Flu posted:

Cod has never been on my radar... what's the best source?

I get Cod from Zaycon, as well as most of my other meats. If you have a dedicated freezer it's the way to go, check them out.

https://www.zayconfresh.com/

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Tomarse posted:

As a fan of destruction derby back in the 90s I thought wreckfest was a pretty fun car game - but I haven't played it for 6 months now so I don't know if they have fixed any of the annoying bugs.

my new car has a trip hour counter in addition to a trip mileage counter. Why don't all cars have hour counters?

Over the last 13 days I have spent 23.5 hours driving :(
My last tank of gas lasted 6 hours and 35 minutes.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I get Cod from Zaycon, as well as most of my other meats. If you have a dedicated freezer it's the way to go, check them out.

https://www.zayconfresh.com/

this is the weirdest loving business model

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

As far as driving sims go, it's not a full game, but BeamNG Drive is a pretty fun car based thing.

If nothing else it's fun just to smash the cars into each other or drag a wrecking ball into them. Or fire a cannon at them

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Seminal Flu posted:

Cod has never been on my radar... what's the best source?

Cod is amazing, tasty, flaky, wonderful fish.

You probably shouldn’t eat it.

It’s not sustainable anymore, and (most) “sustainable” fishing methods aren’t. Cod grows very
Slowly to get to market size (15 years plus) and the overfishing in the 70s and 80s off the coast of New England really stripped out the cod. It’ll be decades still before you can guilt free eat cod.

If you’re really wanting to get some, Icelandic cod is the least bad. Remember too, “pacific cod” isn’t cod.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

ExplodingSims posted:

As far as driving sims go, it's not a full game, but BeamNG Drive is a pretty fun car based thing.

If nothing else it's fun just to smash the cars into each other or drag a wrecking ball into them. Or fire a cannon at them

Hell yeah I fire up BeamNG just to gently caress around.

The Car Boys series is all pretty good and being a humorous way to see what BeamNG can be about but this specific sequence
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mRcjAVjO-4&t=791s

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

God drat code composer studio is such a buggy piece of poo poo, my laptop with i7 and SSD is taking like 5 minutes to verify an update it just installed.

I hope whatever interface one used for arduinos is more streamlined.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Enourmo posted:

God drat code composer studio is such a buggy piece of poo poo, my laptop with i7 and SSD is taking like 5 minutes to verify an update it just installed.

I hope whatever interface one used for arduinos is more streamlined.

What are you using for your IDE? Code Composer? Why not get Visual Studo Community and the Arduino plugin and use that?

I use that, Notepad++ with the Arduino Plugin, and Visuino

https://www.visuino.com/
https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=VisualMicro.ArduinoIDEforVisualStudio
https://sourceforge.net/projects/narduinoplugin/

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jul 29, 2017

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I use sublime text if I'm not using an IDE

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

BraveUlysses posted:

this is the weirdest loving business model

Yeah it is kinda weird at first, we have been using them for years and it's been great. You just have to be able to make the pick up when they are in your town at the specific area, but it's worth it. Quality meats and fish at very good prices.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I'm not using an arduino for this project, I'm using the TI launchpad the class requires us to use, hence why I'm using the Ti software package. i could probably have used whatever IDE, but that's what the class instructions said to use so that's what I'm sticking with.

I do own an arduino uno (rev1 or whatever you would call it), so I'll keep that in mind for that.

That said.. I think I got this fucker doing what I want, finally.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Yeah it is kinda weird at first, we have been using them for years and it's been great. You just have to be able to make the pick up when they are in your town at the specific area, but it's worth it. Quality meats and fish at very good prices.

Thanks for the info dude, I have a very empty chest freezer that needs filling.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

No problem. We've been getting chicken from them for what seems like forever now. There is some work involved though, chicken is not is individually wrapped, so you gotta do that yourself. The breasts don't come split and still has lots of fat on them so we basically trim it down the way we want, package and freeze em up.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Enourmo posted:

I'm not using an arduino for this project, I'm using the TI launchpad the class requires us to use, hence why I'm using the Ti software package. i could probably have used whatever IDE, but that's what the class instructions said to use so that's what I'm sticking with.

I do own an arduino uno (rev1 or whatever you would call it), so I'll keep that in mind for that.

You can convert Arduino code to the Launchpad:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Use-Arduino-code-on-a-TI-Launchpad-MSP430/

I've got the Launchpad too, with the Wifi module:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I used to get meat from a local butcher but he retired and his son is an rear end in a top hat who raised prices far above grocery levels so I've just been getting my meats at Meijer.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

Enourmo posted:

Don't use the Arduino software for anything. It's slow, terrible, ill-designed, and generally useless for anyone who has any knowledge or even interest in either hardware or software, beyond the people who just want to blink an LED so they can say that they did a computer.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Sinestro posted:

Don't use the Arduino software for anything. It's slow, terrible, ill-designed, and generally useless for anyone who has any knowledge or even interest in either hardware or software, beyond the people who just want to blink an LED so they can say that they did a computer.

Its not that bad, but yeah its not feature rich.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I used to get meat from a local butcher but he retired and his son is an rear end in a top hat who raised prices far above grocery levels so I've just been getting my meats at Meijer.

It will probably depend on your area, how your prices run and whats available, but for us chicken is almost half the price compared to local grocery stores so it's a no brainer. BUT their steak prices are right around par with Publix so we haven't ever ordered steaks from them as of yet. They just recently added Beef Tenderloin to their list and it's super tempting, would love to grill an entire beef tenderloin to medium rare and gobble that poo poo up :v:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

cursedshitbox posted:

David tried this. he started failing at work and school.
I tried this. I went from a 4.0 gpa to a 2.5-3.

It works for some, not all.

Same here. I've discovered I can do ~6 credit hours a semester without losing my ability to push at work or tanking my grades.

Luckily my current position doesn't need a degree.

cursedshitbox posted:

robotics engineering.

I may branch and do a minor in bioengineering for reasons.

Biomechatronics? Fascinating poo poo in that discipline, wish I'd decided to work towards it ten years ago.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jul 29, 2017

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

beep-beep car is go posted:

It’s not sustainable anymore, and (most) “sustainable” fishing methods aren’t. Cod grows very
Slowly to get to market size (15 years plus) and the overfishing in the 70s and 80s off the coast of New England really stripped out the cod. It’ll be decades still before you can guilt free eat cod.

If you’re really wanting to get some, Icelandic cod is the least bad. Remember too, “pacific cod” isn’t cod.

From seafoodwatch:
http://www.seafoodwatch.org/seafood-recommendations/groups/cod/overview?q=Cod&t=cod

quote:

About Cod

Buy Pacific cod ("tai" in sushi) caught in Alaska. Then look for a "Good Alternative" from the U.S. West Coast and British Columbia, Canada, but know that these sources have environmental issues. Say "No, thanks" to Atlantic cod, except when it’s caught with handlines in the U.S. or certified by the Marine Stewardship Council. Also, steer clear of Pacific cod from Japan and Russia.

There are nine green "best choice" options for cod, and they are all pacific cod save the first, which is atlantic cod from recirculating aquaculture systems. Both types are referred to as "true cod". All of the pacific cod Best Choices are from Alaska.

quote:

Pacific cod caught in Alaska is a "Best Choice" because the population is healthy. Also, there are no major concerns with bycatch of other species or with the effectiveness of management.

Pacific cod caught in California, Oregon, Washington and British Columbia, Canada, with bottom trawls is a "Good Alternative" because there are some concerns about other species that are caught with Pacific cod and the impacts on sensitive habitat.

Pacific cod caught in Japan and Russia is on the "Avoid" list. In Japan, overfishing is likely occurring in most regions, and management is ineffective. In Russia, information about the populations’ status, bycatch of other species, habitat impacts and management is very limited or unknown.

Here is the full report (PDF) on Alaskan pacific cod.

I think it's safe to say that alaskan fish is "guilt free" to the extent that eating any wild caught fish can be guilt free. The Alaskan fisheries in general are considered the best-managed in the world, and they are now as far as we can tell, sustainable.

Also, pacific cod is Gadus macrocephalus; all four of the members of the Gadus genus are cod, although G. chalcogrammus is called "alaskan pollock" and was only reclassified as a member of Gadus, and G. ogac (Greenland cod) is now considered a subspecies of G. macrocephalus. There are a bunch of other fish in the family Gadidae that are called "cod" too, and it's not really wrong to refer to them as that just because their scientific classification has been shuffled around.

It is correct to call pacific cod a true cod.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jul 29, 2017

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Teaching a human to do morse code: give him a code table and a stick

Teaching a microcontroller board to do morse code: about 24 hours of coding and troubleshooting over 4 days.

Got it loving done, though.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Let's see... got pretty nasty heat exhaustion halfway through my shift for amazon. I drank over 3 gallons of water through the day, and only pissed once. Yikes. Tried to get ahold of a good friend in the town I was in to see if I could go hang out at her place and cool off a bit, never heard back.

Adulted and finally got my own washer and dryer. They're beat up, but work fine, and not that old for something like that (06 and 07, Whirlpool). And hey, $100 for the set.

Had to buy the right cord for the dryer. No biggie, just kind of a surprise since the seller included both a 3 and 4 prong cord set. Fired it up. Rats nest flies out of the vent. Well, the guy did say it'd been sitting awhile. Unhooked the hose and ran it for a bit on air dry while rocking it a bit to try and shake everything out.

Got new hoses for the washer. Made sure to insert o-rings into the hoses. Hook it up. Open valves in the laundry room, get shot in the face with a very forceful jet of water - coming from around the stem of the valve, not where the hose attaches. gently caress. Well, okay, it's in one of those washer connection boxes, they're made to handle leaks and divert them down the drain. So I slapped a cup over it so I could do a load of laundry. Tried using the hoses that came with it anyway, just to verify what I already knew. It ain't the hoses.

Then saw water coming out from under the baseboard. Took a closer look. The plumbing box is cracked. Touched the wall under it (very gently, as in just trying to see if it felt damp), and my hand went through the wall. That's bad, right? Turned off the valves.. or tried. They're still dripping pretty good around the stems. :argh: I can turn off the hot water supply at my hot water heater, but can't turn off the cold water supply (and natch, it's the cold side that's really pissing). Called 24 hour emergency maint 3 times, starting at midnight, haven't heard a drat thing.

Wonder how many days :laffo: months it'll be until maint gets out here to fix it. My downstairs neighbor is on vacation, whenever she gets back she's going to find quite a bit of water damage on her kitchen ceiling, if nothing collapsed. It's very obvious that the wall around the laundry connection box has been cut out at least once, and the box itself is a mess of hot clue and caulk.

My hate level is a bit high right now.

edit: huh, so if I crank the valves open as far as they can go, then give em an extra gutentite twist, the hot side doesn't leak at all, and the cold side is just the slightest bit damp (no visible leaking, so it may just be whatever hasn't evaporated yet). I feel a bit extra special after realizing that. Packing washer/nut still needs some love eventually, but at least I can actually do laundry without worrying about water damage now. I was worried about opening them all the way, worrying that they'd go from spraying around the shaft to full on geyser (I have no idea where the shutoff is for the building...)

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Jul 29, 2017

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

beep-beep car is go posted:

We had similar problems with north sea cod, they claim it's ok now, but I suspect they mean it's systainable at current levels, rather than rising back up to historical levels.

A nice bit of cod is the cornerstone of the British chippy, though.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I never enjoyed cod and it's all they fuckin ate in Norway

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
All my fish comes in cans. tuna, sardines, mackeral. but not salmon, never ever get tinned salmon.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

edit: huh, so if I crank the valves open as far as they can go, then give em an extra gutentite twist, the hot side doesn't leak at all, and the cold side is just the slightest bit damp (no visible leaking, so it may just be whatever hasn't evaporated yet). I feel a bit extra special after realizing that. Packing washer/nut still needs some love eventually, but at least I can actually do laundry without worrying about water damage now. I was worried about opening them all the way, worrying that they'd go from spraying around the shaft to full on geyser (I have no idea where the shutoff is for the building...)

Yeah, seems like the shaft seals. My garden tap is like that. Slightly open and leaks around the shaft, fully hard open, the brass on brass seal is good enough to stop leaks. Though look forward to water hammer if your building is susceptible to that. I can't have my washing machine taps fully open due to that.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Real cod is great but there are issues with the stocks of it so most of the time you get haddock.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Thanks for the info, that's all very interesting. Doesn't surprise me that Japan is over fishing, hell they still harvest loving Dolphins, but I'm a little shocked that Russia is not doing a better job of keeping it in check.

BigPaddy posted:

Real cod is great but there are issues with the stocks of it so most of the time you get haddock.

Haddock is very good as well, the last time I was in Boston I had the best baked fish dinner I ever ate, and it was Haddock.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I love Halibut. It's about the only meat other than beef that I could probably eat every day.

A buddy of mine did a fishing trip on the best coast and caught a few of them over the course of a week. Once cleaned and filleted, they were these beautiful massive pieces of fish which were fed-exed home. Each was easily worth many hundreds of dollars. We got half of one as a gift. It was heavenly and possibly to this day the best fish I have ever eaten in my life.

About 1 week later his wife accidentally unplugged the deepfreeze and didn't realize it for a couple days. All gone, only ate maybe 10% of it before this happened, the rest spoiled :(

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

slidebite posted:

About 1 week later his wife accidentally unplugged the deepfreeze and didn't realize it for a couple days. All gone, only ate maybe 10% of it before this happened, the rest spoiled :(

Oh my god. How the gently caress do you accidentally unplug a freezer and not know it? I would have a hard time not flipping the gently caress out over that one.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

That's pretty much what her husband said. He flipped his poo poo.

I think she needed to use the plug for something and she thought she unplugged something ~other~ than the freezer.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I would tape a giant sign on the plug end of the cord if I was him.....DO NOT UNPLUG THE FREEZER MORON

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Enourmo posted:

Teaching a human to do morse code: give him a code table and a stick

Teaching a microcontroller board to do morse code: about 24 hours of coding and troubleshooting over 4 days.

Got it loving done, though.

Good work dude. That's the best way to learn by far. If you thrive in those situations you'll thrive when poo poo hits the fan at work.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Cool, I just found that I wasn't imagining what I thought I saw in a model shop years ago, Minichamps did make an E30 Touring in Lachs Silver. Found a guy in the Netherlands selling one... For nearly a hundred quid. :rodimus:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Cod is great
Cod is good
Let us thank it
For our food

By our hands
We cook our fish
Make into a yummy dish