Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

KozmoNaut posted:

It's all hosed to poo poo, clutch fork, bearing and clutch. $1,600 repair, gently caress me sideways with a rake :emo:

What? How? Did you bend the fork?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

KozmoNaut posted:

Yup, either bent or completely broken.

Wonder how that happened. Bad fork design or siezed/stuck pressure plate causing it to snap.

Ask if they'll let you take photos of the broken parts.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I have strawberry bon-bons on my desk.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Not a Lancia Integrale, turn in your colors.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
HOAs are evil, and those things should be covered by your county, not your HOA.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

:gonk: Please no.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Seat Safety Switch posted:

On the Subaru turbos they have an upper coolant reservoir to feed the turbo with (both after shutdown and during normal function). There are some aftermarket ones that are less dominant of the engine bay but it's only really a problem if you start installing a rotated-mount turbocharger or something else that requires a bizarre intake path.

It makes filling coolant on a turbo a little complicated, since the upper reservoir becomes the highest point in the system, not the radiator. It also requires a pressurized rad cap which leads to people thinking their head gaskets have gone bad when in fact their ancient rad cap is bypassing off the top reservoir.

On the Audi 5 cylinders, the turbo coolant is pressurized because it pulls from the block so it self bleeds. They have an after-run pump to cycle coolant post shut off to keep coking down.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Adiabatic posted:

y'all need jesus

The Spanish gardener?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I love my kid, and have zero regrets

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Ah yes, DARE, another ineffective waste of money.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Boobs are great, but a woman with brains is better.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

spog posted:

It's not an either/or.

Its a ranking, not an either or. If you can get both, perfect. If you have to choose one over the other, I'd say brains.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

InitialDave posted:

Lol at RCR saying the Rover 75 is the car he'd most want to take back to the US...

To be fair, he rebuilt a Vagabond Falcon and threw ridiculous money in it, while plotting to buy an autobox Plymouth Horizon, and fanboys over K-Cars. He's got weird tastes.

Oh, and the Intern sucks, no offense to him.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Hey guys, I just finished installing my intercooler......

....:catstare: What the hell happened in here.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Cage posted:

Yes sir, Mr. Ducksworth. Thank you very much, Mr. Ducksworth. Quack, quack, quack, Mr. Ducksworth!

Libel, Mr. Ducksworth, Libel.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I'll take the status quo any day over sheer mind-numbing horror of a Trump administration.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Adiabatic posted:

And on the left you have radical requirements of the right to completely change their behaviors immediately to the left's views, with calls to fascism and racism if they don't fall in line. I personally mostly agree with the left's rhetoric but their delivery is divisive.

e: I should definitely point out that I was doing it too before this election, but a significant portion of the population thinks differently than I do and I know they aren't all racist bigoted morons so I have since been making a genuine effort to understand.

Uhhhhh....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_strategy

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_...st_for_the.html

Its literally about racism. And the GOP has repeatedly shown they are fully willing to pull facist poo poo to gain/hold/consolidate power. It really is about racism and facism.

Nearly every state in the South, some in the North even, almost every Red State, is pulling racist style voter suppression crap. Its not just a Left talking point, I mean for god's sake, we have Steve Bannon in the White House and Jefferey Sessions, a man so racist even 1980s Alabama said 'Woah, you are way too racist'. And then we have Trump, a man who honestly skips over the dog whistles and goes straight for the good racist poo poo, plus the xenophobia and paranoid dellusions.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Sinestro posted:

But at the same time, a lot of people take "one side of things is blatantly racist" to mean "anyone who disagrees with me on any minor doctrinal issue is the same as the other side, and therefore blatantly a bigoted fascist". That's hosed up.

Here's the problem: Doesn't matter. If you vote for Trump and didn't have the god damned foresight to see him for what he was when he was quite open about this poo poo when he was running, maybe you do have some bigotry issues. He didn't hide this stuff while he was campaigning, you'd have to blatantly ignore it to buy that, and then ignore every cabinet and positional pick in his administration to believe that.

And that doesn't even cover the GOP's willingness to toss the poor down a flight of stairs, and re-enact 1950s Civil Rights/Women's Rights fights that should be over and done with. There is no truth in the middle with the current GOP administration. At all.

Considering their willingness to fully rape any 'truth' or facts, why should there be truth in the middle?

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jul 28, 2017

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Sinestro posted:

Congratulations for reading someone else's post I guess? I'm not exactly a Trump supporter.

I'm talking more about the 'Jill Stein 2020' types and the Chapo fans from the perspective of a merely center-left Democrat. It's really worrying, especially as someone who is basically not given any options in the current atmosphere, to be in a place where both parties are in the grips of their own extremist movements.

I didn't mean to imply you were, but I'm more addressing the claim people love to make that "Well, the GOP isn't all racist, you can't say that, you are just saying they are fascist because you disagree"

Jill Stein can go gently caress herself, especially since she OPENLY said that she'd rather have Trump than Clinton, and was in Russia at the same time as the others.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Yes. But that doesn't mean he follows that long haired homeless Palestinian that gave away free healthcare. Far, far from it.

Evangelicals will support anyone that gets them closer to a theocracy.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Adiabatic posted:

Do you really think 100% of the people who voted for Trump are part of the Southern Strategy and are racists? You're doing the exact thing I said the left was doing.

Don't villify the other side carte-blanche.

If you vote for a man who openly flaunted racist credentials, courted racists during the campaign, and endorsed racist and xenophobic ideals, You don't exactly get to roll in the mud and claim you are squeaky clean. Empowering them is just a bad as being one.

Regardless of whether or not the voter supports racist ideals, they voted for someone who endorses and supports racists. I'm sure not every Confederate hated black people, they still fought tooth and nail for a white supremacist movement.

There was no mystery to what Trump endeavored to do, or what sort of ideals he supported on the campaign trail.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jul 28, 2017

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

cursedshitbox posted:

This conversation might be a small part of why I'd like to try Ukraine on for size.

Fly back an Antonov and pick me up with all my cars.

We filed all the paperwork for my wife's Passport and are working on German work visa's right now.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

cursedshitbox posted:

There's only one. another is mothballed in a museum afaik. and I got to stand by one of its progressive D18-T engines. holy oh gently caress. gently caress yea on Germany. It's somewhere we want to spend some serious time.

It also means I might be able to finish school now, since affordable schooling will be within reach.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

The Locator posted:

I'm going out on a limb (ok, it's a really thick limb and pretty short) and going to say that a LOT of people that voted for Trump, were not voting for Trump nearly as much as they were holding their noses and voting against Hillary.

Seriously, if the Dems had chosen almost anyone else I think it would have been a landslide win for them, but nope... they had to have their chosen one because they loving *knew* that they couldn't lose... and they were wrong.

A lot of those same people probably wish (even if they won't admit it, although a lot of them are) that they had not voted the way they did.

If they were capable of overlook the numerous scams and scandals of Trump, but couldn't overlook Hillary's....

....dunno what to tell them, except they are really bad at actually reading up on candidates. Jon Oliver covered this really well: Trump had way more red flags. There was never any real comparison, and Trump NEVER presented any real image of tangible leadership. Most of his events were largely random rants that ebbed and flowed from one topic to another without any real logic or thought.

I do not buy the whole 'Well, it was him or Clinton' excuse. It actually reflects more poorly on them, because it highlights the unwillingness of American voters to actually research their candidates.

Don't get me wrong: Clinton sucked. But no matter the comparison, she sucked way less than Trump in every respect.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jul 28, 2017

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Liquid Communism posted:

The worst, the absolute worst, that we could have gotten out of Clinton was 4 more years of the same thing we had for the last 8.

Now we live in low-key terror because our President loses his poo poo over day to day office politics, if an actual international crisis occurs there is no way to tell what he will do, other then that it will probably be impulsive and terrible. :smith:

And the man who claims to chose 'The Best People' has demonstrated to the world that he is utterly inept at choosing people, or judging them, or telling the truth.

We're subjected to a man who cannot go a day without self-fellating his ego, screaming about Fake News, attacking the Press, appointing neanderthals to positions of power, and denigrating the previous sitting president at every chance he gets.

On the plus side, we do get to enjoy this:

Genocide Tendency posted:

Joe Pesci. Yea that Joe Pesci is going to be reading Mooch's interview on Lawerence O'Donnell.

So you may want to tune into MSNBC.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jul 28, 2017

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Once again I've drug the thread into D&D hell, I apologize :smith:

I promise I'll have more car stuff soon.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

The Locator posted:

I wasn't arguing that. I am simply saying that it's the way a lot of people voted. They had their hatred for Hillary established, and their vote was determined long before Trump won the Republican primary.

Is that stupid? Hell yes, but it's still true that a not insignificant number of people voted against Hillary and had blinders on to the fact that the other guy might actually be worse.

:shrug: .....still the fault of the voters. The Democrats were stupid to push it, but regardless, if you are not an informed voter, you are part of the problem overall.

rdb posted:

On another subject both my wife and I want to take a vacation but cant decide between Hawaii and Costa Rica. Normally I would be all about Costa Rica but the risk of zika has my wife really worried. Whats the real risk of contracting it? And whats fun to do/where to go in either place? I want to do beach stuff and get a sailfish or tuna charter. My wife likes nature stuff. I think we can reasonably afford $5-6k for the week, airfare excluded from the total.

Is there a thread somewhere else for this?

Costa Rica, Hawaii is too tourist trap-y. We landed there on our way back from Japan, and holy crap its like Vegas with less desert and more prices.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

BigPaddy posted:

Take a look at New Zealand, remember that the seasons are flipped so book in the winter here.

2nding this.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

antiquepacbell posted:

The day the Democrats stop the everyone is a racist deplorable if they do not support us is the day they may get support. Most want access to healthcare. Hell, if you don't frame it as Obamacare they support what we have.

Problem is they pass a Swiss cheese bullshit bill and now that it is starting to fail, and it is slowly but surely, Dems rather than bringing ideas to the table are just obstructing. Hell, even the ideas do not get traction now, the next election is coming.

Look it easy to say that UHC, climate change, immigration and LGBT rights need to be acted upon but if the call to actions is that if you do not do what I say you are a fascist, denier, racist or homophobe people are rightfully going to be offended.

By the way, I believe that we do need to have UHC, be more inclusive and work on climate change but no way in hell I would of ever voted for Hillary.

The ACA Act was largely a Republican bill.

And the only reason its failing is because the GOP has actively sabotaged it at every turn to be able to say its failing and that it was a bad bill.

Also: LOL the Dems are obstructing, what?!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Ephphatha posted:

Rally, 1, 2, or 4 if you want simulation physics. 3 and Showdown are arcade physics.

For arcade racing games; I second Kozmos Flatout 2 rec, it's a blast especially in multiplayer. Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit (the... third? remake - 2010 version) is fun if you want the street racing arcade type of game. Shift 2 is alright for closed circuit arcade racing, the storyline is garbage but you don't play racing games for the story anyway. Burnout Paradise is still a great arcade racing game.

Dirt Rally is probably the best modern rally sim to pick up, Dirt 4 is newer but doesn't seem to be as well received. I think the gold standard for realistic simulation racers is still iRacing, there's a thread in games with more detail about the ideal controllers to use for that game. Be warned it operates on a subscription model, so be prepared to cough up your wallet if you get into it. Both of these games would benefit from a decent (ie $500) wheel, especially iRacing where you can be pitted against professionals who use it for training. On the cheaper end I picked up Xpand Rally Xtreme a while back when it was recommended and it's been a really solid rally sim as well. It probably plays much better with a wheel than a controller but it's a fairly old game so the peripheral support is pretty poor.

Dirt 3 was nice, I hate the Hoonigan crap. I just wanted to drive my Group B Quattro, fuckers! :argh:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I'm a physics major

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
We take boob physics quite seriously. Dead or Alive volleyball was amateur hour

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

keykey posted:

Then what's your excuse for school being too expensive? What schools are you looking at?

Its more the cut in pay I'd have to take to go back. I make a decent wage doing Systems Engineering/Datacenter Engineering, to finish my bachelors and masters I'd have to give up on that, and I can't do that.

That and Georgia schools are loving expensive, even with my GI Bill.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Larrymer posted:

don't get him started again

DeVos has already charged in on loan forgiveness programs and cutting financial aid. :v:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Really can't. Tried. Don't have the time, energy, or money for both.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

keykey posted:

Talk to your supervisor, you'd be surprised at how flexible they are. I finished my bachelors while working ramping up to 24 units the final 2 semesters. Working 40 hours a week, hybrid program (online/face to face), and owning a side business. The last semester my wife was gone to Costa Rica getting hours in for her field and we had 2 kids.

I work for a consulting firm, I don't have a supervisor, I'm a consultant.
And most of the work left on my degree requires me to be there in person.
How was your supervisor flexible if you were still pumping out 40/week?

Guys, you keep doing this stuff where you just assume that what works for you works for everyone else: I've already tried the flex/work/school route, I really REALLY must emphasize I don't have the time or the spare funds for schooling. As it is, I'm trying to save up for my wife to go back to school to finish her degree.

Its bad enough I'm ADHD and covered in Learning Disabilities, I'm not good at stretching myself. At all.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jul 28, 2017

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

keykey posted:

Working 40 hours a week is just exactly that, There are 168 hours in a week, you just need to work 40 of those for full time employment, you're left with 128. You need to sleep, I do 8 hours a night, that takes you down to 72 hours for school/commuting/family per week. Nobody said that it's fun, but it's definitely doable. Think of it as a numbers game.

Like I said, ADHD. Its not just a numbers game for me, and nearly every step to finishing my degree is in person during the day.

And DeVos is going to gently caress whatever tuition assistance is left.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Enourmo posted:

God drat code composer studio is such a buggy piece of poo poo, my laptop with i7 and SSD is taking like 5 minutes to verify an update it just installed.

I hope whatever interface one used for arduinos is more streamlined.

What are you using for your IDE? Code Composer? Why not get Visual Studo Community and the Arduino plugin and use that?

I use that, Notepad++ with the Arduino Plugin, and Visuino

https://www.visuino.com/
https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=VisualMicro.ArduinoIDEforVisualStudio
https://sourceforge.net/projects/narduinoplugin/

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jul 29, 2017

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Enourmo posted:

I'm not using an arduino for this project, I'm using the TI launchpad the class requires us to use, hence why I'm using the Ti software package. i could probably have used whatever IDE, but that's what the class instructions said to use so that's what I'm sticking with.

I do own an arduino uno (rev1 or whatever you would call it), so I'll keep that in mind for that.

That said.. I think I got this fucker doing what I want, finally.

You can convert Arduino code to the Launchpad:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Use-Arduino-code-on-a-TI-Launchpad-MSP430/

I've got the Launchpad too, with the Wifi module:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Sinestro posted:

Don't use the Arduino software for anything. It's slow, terrible, ill-designed, and generally useless for anyone who has any knowledge or even interest in either hardware or software, beyond the people who just want to blink an LED so they can say that they did a computer.

Its not that bad, but yeah its not feature rich.

• Locked thread