Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

keykey posted:

Seeing a 4 door Ranger for the first time broke my mind.

:ssh:

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I may have purchased a thing

:monocle:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

You sure it's not a ground loop?
IMO, you should just pitch the guts and replace it with a Sonos or something. If you're really sentimentally attached to it then... RIP your freetime and enjoy your new retirement project.

Also, ask these guys:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2734977

Disagree, save it if you can. meatpimp, you're on the right track with the capacitors idea, but yeah that does look like a mess. It's probably a power supply capacitor, which looks like those big blue ones. It shouldn't be too hard to replace them, or even pull them one at a time to test them, but I understand not wanting to dive into that spaghetti mess.

It's entirely possible that it could be the caps on the board, in fact the end of the one at the bottom of the board looks like it might be blowing out? Hard to tell from that picture.

It can't hurt to replace them, but I wouldn't count on it solving the problem. Then again, I'm not some wise old radio sage, so take my advice with a huge grain of salt.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Seminal Flu posted:

Nope, I'm not sure of that at all. Whatever it is, it's strong. The hum is much louder than the input. So there's probably a single point of failure that I may or may not fix with a shotgun recapping.

To complicate, there's also a big silver can on the other side that contains (I think) the power supply capacitors... it's like a bundle of somethings shoved into a can.

Solder for the solder god.

So how do I get on the track of learning to diagnose that stuff? Go to the other sub that GnarlyCharlie4u linked and ask? Is there a good learning web site?

Edit: Nevermind. I don't have time to track down a bunch of random failures on decades-old equipment. Where's this coming from? Well, I had my Mirage subwoofer, circa 1993 start making some nasty poo poo noises. I threw a couple main caps at that to see what it would do... nothing. I am not going to take time to replace the IC or power amp, so I'm just replacing the whole damned thing with a Klipsch wireless one, since I wanted to get a wireless kit for the sub, anyway.

What Sonos would you suggest? I don't want to spend a ton of money on it, but there's gobs of space in the console. I could get any plate amp and put it in there, along with some type of bluetooth controller and probably be good.

Too bad you're giving up on it, but I guess that's the way life goes sometimes. If the power supply stuff is elsewhere, I would start looking there: 60Hz is probably from the smoothing cap after the rectifier not smoothing enough. If that's how the power supply is constructed. Not that it matters at this point :shrug:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Ether Frenzy posted:

I hope the first thing you do is define 'makerspace' because that sounds like the Bay Area equivalent of 'a machine shop' to me. :v:

I know that this is probably just a joke, but in case you are serious: a maker space usually has tools for all sorts of things, not just metal. Metal, wood, auto, electronics. They usually work like a gym membership where you pay a monthly fee for access to the space, and you can use whatever tools you need to work on your own projects. There is a lot of tool overlap with a commercial machine shop, but the way it's run is pretty different.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Rhyno posted:

We got the rest of our engagement photos back. They're pretty gross.

http://i.imgur.com/KGJymLc.jpg

ewwwwwwww.

Look at that fuckin nerd :3:

I gotta say, you're a lot less goony than I was expecting.

And, once again, grats!

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

It would appear that I have fulfilled my evolutionary purpose in life

im sorry :(

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Rhyno posted:

Spent the evening pre-celebrating her promotion and ran across a mini car meet. There was a blue EvoX in attendance so I showed her what exactly it was I was leaning towards.

SHE HATES IT.

I'm crushed.

Good thing you're buying the car for you to drive, then :shrug:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

So that super cheap compressor bit me in the rear end today. Hard. It seemed like it was pulling more power than the original compressor, and my mileage took a big hit (about 7 mpg - I'm used to a 2-3 mpg hit). Locked up on me today on the highway.

Clutch was a trooper for the 15 seconds or so it took me to realize what was shrieking and turn off the ac switch. Amazed it didn't throw/shred the belt, but I don't really trust the belt after that kind of abuse at 3000 rpm. Guess I get to replace the lines and condenser now.. on top of the compressor.. and flush black death out of the evaporator. :fuckoff: Just gonna do what I should have done and go with a used OEM compressor, and go with R152a this time.

holy poo poo.

Did you recharge it, or did the shop do that? What's the chance of it locking up like that due to an overcharge?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Ferremit posted:

Gah why is solar so full of bullshit and confusion.

Two quotes- One quote for $11k, Uses 36 x 270w panels for a total panel output of 9.7kw, Uses a single 8.2Kw inverter

Second quote- $13.5K, uses 38 x 275w panels for a total panel output of 10.4kw. Runs dual 5.0kw inverters.

You think I can get a straight answer on whether the 8.2kw inverter is going to limit the output of the whole systems to below what the panels are good for?

There are two reasons why I think that might not be a huge problem:
1) Those inverters might be rated for continuous output, not peak output. Do you have any model numbers or anything we can use to look it up?
2) Even if the above isn't true, it still only limits the rate at which you can pull from your batteries. Usually, the chain of devices to turn sun into a wall outlet goes solar panel(s) -> charge controller -> battery bank -> inverter -> breaker panel. As long as your charge controller can handle the maximum power your panels can put out in full sun, you'll still be able to take full advantage, you just might not be able to suck power out of your battery bank as fast as you can put it in (in ideal conditions). That seems like an acceptable problem to have, I think.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

KakerMix posted:

Same but switch around Gen X and ~millenials~ and you've got yourself a deal

pops

edit
Wait when do gen-xers stop and millenials begin?

1980 is debatable. 1979 is def genx and 1981 is def millenial

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Ether Frenzy posted:

The distinction happens wherever the winning side determines.

It doesn't, though. These things are created by marketers to give easy names to demographics so they can target their ads. We all are the losing side.

KakerMix posted:

The 'millenial' label stretches so drat far though, my wife and I were born in the early 80s and played outside, phones with cords and know what it was like to use card catalogs and phonebooks. That we're lumped in with people that didn't do that sort of stuff like we did feels like it's incorrect.
Every generation thinks they have it right and the ones before it were old fashioned and the ones after it are doing it all wrong so whatever, not like it's going to suddenly change this time.

I'd say that the millenial label applies to people who were right in the middle of that change. A lot has happened all at once, both in technology and society as a whole, while we were growing up. My brother and I (early 90s and late 80s, respectively) both did all those things you mentioned, but I think we were some of the last ones. And we're definitely millenials, since we came of age around the millenium. I think the end of the millenial advertising bracket is the mid 90s? "Kids these days" aren't millenials, really, and I'm not sure what their generation will be called by advertisers.

Raluek fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jul 27, 2017

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Ether Frenzy posted:

It happens quick my dude. I laughed at the oldass 42ish dads of my friends, sitting around drinking Busch Light and listening to the Allman Brothers telling us all to enjoy youth while it's there like 'whatever, gramps'. It was yesterday. in 1990.

the 90s were five years ago, forever!

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Leperflesh posted:

There's a "gen y" in between gen x and millenials. I'm a tail end of the gen x ers, and gen y are the people who were teens in the 90s and reached adulthood by 2000-ish. Millenials are the ones who came of age in the new millenium, so they're in their late teens to mid 20s now.

This is false. Millenials are rebranded gen-y; afaik there is no consistent name for what comes after.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

General_Failure posted:

Apparently Darth Vader gave me a friendly pat on the back and a "Hello" today and I didn't even know.

Does David Prowse live upside down now? I thought he was british

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

antiquepacbell posted:

The day the Democrats stop the everyone is a racist deplorable if they do not support us is the day they may get support. Most want access to healthcare. Hell, if you don't frame it as Obamacare they support what we have.

I just wanted to point out that these sentences in this order struck me as funny

• Locked thread