Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Terrible Robot posted:

Wish it would punish you for being such a sanctimonious rear end in a top hat all the time.

:vince:

Seminal Flu posted:

Because not yielding right of way and turning in front of oncoming traffic is such a laudable action? :bravo:

Not sure how you got that from his words. Do you know what a Michigan left is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

jamal posted:

Why would I be getting decent results on internet speed tests, but have pages just time out and not load? Did reset the modem/router, cleared browser cache. Could it be the browser or laptop causing this? It's old and borrowed (windows vista, current Firefox), but that doesn't really make sense to me. And it's just stuff like forums and Facebook. I've been watching Netflix and stuff via my phone and Chromecast no problem.

Wonder how much spy/malware is on there.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

RillAkBea posted:

So herniated discs are pretty painful eh. None of the painkillers the doctor gave me are really working and they don't prescribe the fun feel good ones in this country.

Yep, I had to have surgery for it a few years back. Been great since. Where is yours herniated?

Ibuprofen and ice, and just take it easy. Lay down and bend you knees with feet flat on the floor if it's lower back (mine was L5-S1, this seemed to help).

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Siochain posted:

Wife's got an appointment with a surgeon to likely arrange surgery - L5 and one or two bordering discs. How'd yours go? Worked well?

L5-S1 is the most common because it's where you transition from larger discs to the smaller ones I believe. I injured it back in college playing sports and dealt with it for about 7 years before I couldn't sit/stand/lay comfortably. Had sciatic nerve pain from it being pinched and pain down my right leg. My procedure was a laminectomy/microdiscectomy and I was told I'd be good after the surgery but maybe later in life my other discs in the area would compress/bulge since they're shouldering more load now, and they naturally compress anyway as you age. I have about a 2" scar on my lower back from it, which obviously I can't see and isn't really a big deal to me.

It's been almost 5 years now (I'm 32) and I've been pain free and only had a flare up or two since the surgery with no nerve pain. Would do it again in a heartbeat.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

blk posted:

What kind of car is was this?

It's only half a car.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Siochain posted:

Awesome, thanks. I believe that might be hers as well. Not sure when it was herniated, but it went from "bearable with occasional flareups" to "solid pain all the time" around Canadian Thanksgiving. Took forever to get in to a doctor, then to get MRI's, then blah blah. She's 30 now, so hopefully it can get her a few good decades before anything else flares up. Thanks for that, happy to hear what some other peoples experiences have been!

No problem. There are a lot of hoops I had to jump through with insurance here too, pretty annoying when you're in pain.

I didn't mention much about recovery. I was off work for 6 weeks but could have probably come back sooner, some go back right away. I wore a back brace to keep it straight (but the pain/stitches would let you know if you weren't upright, haha) for that time and also so people know not to come jump at you or pick you up (friends, if I had them :v:). Decent amount of pain pills but it was never that bad after the first couple days. Walking is encouraged afterward, but the first few days a 1/4 mile (with a walker, mind you) would leave me shaking in a cold sweat, so go slow.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

That's one I can probably wait for the Blu ray. Might see Baby Driver this weekend, though.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

angryrobots posted:

Front suspension he claimed to be from an Opel GT, is that possible? I thought the GT shared parts with the Kadett? It appears the same suppliers have parts for all models so maybe they're related or similar?

IIRC the GT has a transverse leaf spring in the front. Adapting that to another engine/vehicle would be pretty silly but I guess it's possible. Just a weird setup that would make life harder, IMO.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

bolind posted:

Good job. As a seasoned veteran of 28 weeks of pregnancy I can tell you that there might be barfing, and if there is, it is in your best interest to be very understanding, patient and supportive.

My wife is around 24 I think at this point? No vomit, just getting irrationally angry at me for everything. It's swell.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Sadi posted:

I dont think I would burn bridges here, and my boss and co workers like me. That said its a serious enough operation I could certainly not come into the machine shop where I currently work if I no longer worked there. But I think I could maintain relationships enough that I might be able to come back if I left.

Im mostly looking for something new and some career advancement. Im still an Engineer 1, got passed over for a promotion last cycle, and my only friend who got a promotion got it by threatening to leave if he didn't. The new job would be a senior engineering position that Im well qualified for. So I feel that for career growth reasons it would be a good way to go. I don't know that I will get much advancement at my current job.

Have a serious sit down with your boss. If he isn't receptive then start looking.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Most companies don't pay for loyalty, unfortunately. :( It's stupid that you can jump to another company and get a 20% raise, then possibly come back to the original company and get paid even more. It seems to work that way in my industry at least (auto).

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Senior design was awesome but a shitload of work. Heat transfer sucked, but so did our teacher that changed nothing from what he taught in the 70's. I remember taking 5 engineering classes (no elective bullshit easy classes) on my last semester and I was still able to work part time. Can't say I recommend it, though.

In your final year Enourmo? Do you have any internships so far?

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jul 19, 2017

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Rhyno posted:

I'm having some pretty weird/serious problems at work.

I'm being stalked by what I think is a transitioning person. They made their interest known, I declined as politely as possible and they won't let up or go away. And it's starting to become a problem. The police literally laughed when I tried to file a complaint.

You always have the weirdest drama in your life. The common factor is you. :v:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I'd be on drugs if I said the 318is was good - They are loving snoozefest shitboxes, a bit of lipstick on a pig without the whole go really fast bit.

It's fine to have a different opinion but you come off as a very angry person towards anyone that doesn't share yours.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Annnnd this is suddenly one of the few times I'm glad I come off as a cold blunt rear end in a top hat on first meetings with strangers.

Guess you're already self aware, though. :v:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

My wife loved my CTS-V and my Volvo wagon. I think I just need to find a CTS-V wagon for wife approval perfection.

I too am deaf as poo poo...in my right ear. Tinnitus all the time and now I have to make sure I'm to the right of people so I can hear anything they say. :(

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Mine just came upon me in the last month or so. It sounds like I may have Menier's disease though. :( Seems like it's pretty rare and unfun so far. Especially since drinking booze makes me dizzy now (like 1 beer vs getting dizzy at 10 :v:).

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

It should never be 90-something degrees at 7:00am.

Also, fiberglass insulation is the loving devil.

I'm so itchy help me

This is why I still haven't finished working on my garage. gently caress doing insulation in 90+ degree heat. That poo poo can wait for the weekend (morning when I may have a few hours to not die from heat exhaustion).

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

He tried so hard, and got so far. But in the end, did it even really matter?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

BraveUlysses posted:

i wouldnt count on that poo poo being around much longer with the current admin

don't get him started again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

monsterzero posted:

I think I killed a 4l60e this weekend.

RIP. I have a trans cooler for mine that I've yet to install. I should probably get on that (and the fluid swap) even though I don't tow.

• Locked thread