Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

god dammit how did I miss the cat thread for 20 days straight

I have five cats plus currently one foster cat plus two outdoor feral TNR cats that we feed and this is not the maximum number of cats we've had. AMA about cats.

e. also I thought my truck was gonna need a new cat but it eked through smog again so that's one old cat still sticking around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

They totally are! Mostly. I mean we had one Bad Cat but it wasn't really her fault, she was old, usually sick, and probably abused and then definitely abandoned. But other than that one cat, we've just had Good Cats.

We are currently looking for someone to adopt an FIV+ cat who was probably hit by a car - he had a broken jaw, all the skin and some of the flesh pulled off his rear end area which was covered in maggots, starving, near death. But between the cat rescue place, a good vet, a GoFundme to raise $800+ to pay for medical bills, and a lot of work, now he's OK. Got him fixed up and he's super, super friendly, just wants to be in your lap more than anything else, put back on a lot of the lost weight, his fur is growing back in, he's a Good Cat.

20170625_152321
This is him at adoption day (we bring him to a Petco on the weekends for cat adoption days): we can leave his cage door open and just pet him a bit and he's totally chill about it and doesn't try to run away or anything.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jul 20, 2017

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

stump posted:

On the subject of charging... when will car / head unit manufacturers start putting quick charge USB slots in. Every one I've used charges phones at a snails pace, especially when using nav and playing music. I've used a few which were so weak that my phone was discharging despite being plugged in.

Since USB-A is on the verge of being obsolete, I'm expecting this feature to become standard any year now.

(USB-C is probably coming soon)

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Schindler Elevator Corporation is the north american entity of Schindler Group, which was founded in 1874 in Lucerne, Switzerland. They were making all sorts of lifting equipment back then, so I'm afraid the amusing joke is just a coincidence and not an intentional reference.

I don't know if that makes it better or worse...

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Also if you break down almost anywhere in the UK you are still only like 30 minutes at most from a place that can tow you, and there's not many places without cell phone coverage. In the US, the prospect of breaking down scares people because they envision themselves in this situation (even though they never actually drive to places like this):

So I think in the UK people are just more tolerant of unreliable vehicles, generally.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

are we gonna talk about balls now, or

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Adiabatic posted:

Yes this is an equal opportunity garage hangout.

so which attractive young actor has the best balls, I guess

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Adiabatic posted:

I meant "you can" not "i want to"

I don't really do either, I just hope anyone who wants to talk about which specific male actors have the best balls feels comfortable doing so

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

KakerMix posted:

There was a thing I watched recently that debunked that in a way that made me go 'oh yeah' but I can't recall where I saw it. It's just as well anyway, even if you aren't a boob person on birth you can certainly become one in western society in short order as that prolly has more to do with the fetishization of breasts. Lots of cultures in Africa don't care about boobs.

You're absolutely right, and the theory that boobs are due to switching to missionary has been generally debunked by anthropologists.

Here's a decent overview:
https://www.livescience.com/23500-why-men-love-breasts.html

The so-called "nipple-oxytocin bonding loop" is not universally accepted, but it's a better explanation than the "looks like a front butt" one.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Ether Frenzy posted:

Holy gently caress these :biotruths: that have been debunked for 100+ years are bad and wrong.

I mean, yes, as other posters and myself mentioned, but you've avoided the Big Question which is why did humans evolve big boobs when they're basically a hindrance in all respects save when nursing, and the other mammals seem to manage nursing without having large teats at all times. That question is not well settled and it's an interesting subject to ponder for the layperson as well as the scientist.

Similarly although less discussed is why human males have suck large dongs compared to our body size. It's certainly not a requirement for successful reproduction, plenty of mammals the same size as us manage it with smaller wedding tackle.

e. \/\/\/ he also likes dicks

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Humans are also unusual in that we gently caress for fun.

It seems to be a characteristic much more frequent among highly social group animals; dolphins and bonobos are probably most famous for it, but there's quite a few more. Sex as reinforcement of social bonds is pretty effective. (Note: certain :biotruths: people use this as a justification for serial infidelity, polygamy, incest, pedophilia, rape, etc.)

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

scuz posted:

Pro-tip: If you're gonna break your ankle, make it the fibula. Bonus points for the left foot.

is that windows 98?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Don't overload on calcium, it's bad for your prostate. You can get plenty of calcium just from eating lots of vegetables. Make sure your vitamin D intake is good enough (spend time in the sun or else eat vitamin D) to 'fix' your dietary calcium, don't get too much vitamin A (which harms bones), and of course as mentioned, build bone density by picking up heavy objects regularly.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

For what it's worth, I've been a WF customer since 1991 and have never had a single issue of any kind in that time. I pay no fees unless I use someone else's ATM. And those withdrawal limits are fairly typical of retail checking accounts in general, if I want to pull more than $300 out of my account or something I pretty much need to do it at a live teller and/or authorize a transaction over the phone. I don't think I have the same limit on debit transactions though.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

To be honest when I'm buying something that expensive, I prefer to put it on a cashback credit card and then immediately pay off the CC balance.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Oh yeah for sure, I only mentioned it because I am not actually sure if there is a cap on my debit card.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

There's a "gen y" in between gen x and millenials. I'm a tail end of the gen x ers, and gen y are the people who were teens in the 90s and reached adulthood by 2000-ish. Millenials are the ones who came of age in the new millenium, so they're in their late teens to mid 20s now.

Sinestro posted:

This is one of the few things Trump's done I'm not finding the ability to get angry about. I'm cool with not being able to be drafted to die in our next pointless quagmire in the Middle East or elsewhere.

It's another major public policy of singling out and discriminating against transgendered people. Even if you had absolutely no desire to serve in the military, it's bad because it perpetuates and reinforces the idea that there's something wrong with transgendered people, who need special expensive treatment and can't fit in and don't belong.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

a major component of our political divide is a strenuous disagreement over who should or should not be permitted to be a full participant in the community

in other words, an unqualified "be excellent to each other" is basically left-wing communist talk, according to the hard right.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

So can i, in exactly the same way that I can kind of understand the viewpoint of people who commit suicide.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I was not a Hillary Clinton fan but I detest the false equivalence argument. Clinton was not a good candidate in broad historical terms compared to many other US presidents and presidential candidates, but she was massively, massively better than Trump and it's a huge, incredibly self-defeating mistake by the left to equate them.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

keykey posted:

California is that but on an infinite multiplier. I'm super glad I'm not doing grad school at UC Berkeley since it was one of the finalists my decision came down to. All the recent bullshit started a few weeks after I would have started and the major bullshit hit when I would have been on campus during a Saturday. I'm not sure about the rest of the states, but CA is the worst of both sides since people are so hard left that they have their heads way up their asses and the right is so hard the other direction that they equally have their heads up their asses.

Berkeley isn't representative of California.

The Locator posted:

How hard is it to understand that you need to find a candidate that will appeal to that 20~30% of voters that actually are willing to compromise and not vote straight party ticket in order to win?

That number is a lot narrower these days, and not a homogeneous group between states. Middle ground appeal is also much more difficult, because it closely resembles wishy-washiness. People do not get fired up by a platform of "somewhere in the middle seems good," they like powerful, uncompromising declarations of Truth with no pesky details to try to figure out.

Ultimately, winning the swing voter is more about personality than policy.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

If I was only ever going to play a single racing game on the PC from the last ten years, which one should I choose? And what would be the ideal controller to use with it?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The far right: "mexicans are all rapists, build the wall, ban muslims, transgendered people are deviants, repeal healthcare for the poor, religious tolerance = oppression of christians, obama is a muslim"
The far left: "the far right are a bunch of racists and bigots"
The weeping middle: "Why are the leftists being so mean? If they keep using such divisive language, how can they ever hope to win the center?"

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Thanks for the racing game options. I am not investing in a wheel/pedal setup to play one game, so I'll be picking something lighter that I can play on a game pad of some sort. I do have windows 10, and I am interested in both street and rally type games so I'll do some investigating.

The best source of Cod is wild caught Alaskan, and that is generally true of any fish available as wild caught from Alaska. Alaska has the best managed fishery in the world, bar none. For further reading, check out Monterey Bay Aquarium's fish guides: http://www.seafoodwatch.org/
They have an app and little printable wallet inserts you can bring with you to grocery stores to help pick out sustainable, responsible fish options and I encourage everyone to do that.

In terms of impact on environment, farmed, freshwater vegetarian fish are good, and that includes farmed tilapia from certain countries, but also catfish. Farmed carniverous fish like salmon are pretty bad - the farming operations are making improvements but they're still pretty terrible both for the environment and for the wild fish populations, plus they feed them fishmeal so you're just converting mass-netted fish from depleted fisheries into farmed salmon etc. Line-caught fish are better than net-caught because line-caught radically reduces bycatch (unwanted fish that are caught along with the target species, which generally die too). And very bad are fishing methods involving dragging along the bottom, because those destroy habitat.

That's just touching the surface though, read the fish guides on seafoodwatch for a lot more really good info and they keep it pretty up to date with ongoing technology.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

BraveUlysses posted:

sometimes i buy fresh but i'm on the best coast, otherwise i've had good luck buying frozen from kroger and costco.

thaw, batter and fry for fish tacos

also, I prefer grilled. Soak your thawed codfish pieces in a mix of lime juice, a tablespoon or two of cooking oil, (smoked) paprika, a little salt, chili powder, cayenne, cumin, and (unless you have the gene that makes it taste like soap to you) cilantro. Give it maybe 30 to 60 minutes. Then get a nice hot grill or pan going and grill over high heat for just a minute or two per side, add to your warm fresh tortillas along with a spicy mayo sauce, some kind of vinegary coleslaw/pico de gallo type concoction, and if you're into it, maybe a slice of avocado.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

beep-beep car is go posted:

Cod is amazing, tasty, flaky, wonderful fish.

You probably shouldn’t eat it.

It’s not sustainable anymore, and (most) “sustainable” fishing methods aren’t. Cod grows very
Slowly to get to market size (15 years plus) and the overfishing in the 70s and 80s off the coast of New England really stripped out the cod. It’ll be decades still before you can guilt free eat cod.

If you’re really wanting to get some, Icelandic cod is the least bad. Remember too, “pacific cod” isn’t cod.

From seafoodwatch:
http://www.seafoodwatch.org/seafood-recommendations/groups/cod/overview?q=Cod&t=cod

quote:

About Cod

Buy Pacific cod ("tai" in sushi) caught in Alaska. Then look for a "Good Alternative" from the U.S. West Coast and British Columbia, Canada, but know that these sources have environmental issues. Say "No, thanks" to Atlantic cod, except when it’s caught with handlines in the U.S. or certified by the Marine Stewardship Council. Also, steer clear of Pacific cod from Japan and Russia.

There are nine green "best choice" options for cod, and they are all pacific cod save the first, which is atlantic cod from recirculating aquaculture systems. Both types are referred to as "true cod". All of the pacific cod Best Choices are from Alaska.

quote:

Pacific cod caught in Alaska is a "Best Choice" because the population is healthy. Also, there are no major concerns with bycatch of other species or with the effectiveness of management.

Pacific cod caught in California, Oregon, Washington and British Columbia, Canada, with bottom trawls is a "Good Alternative" because there are some concerns about other species that are caught with Pacific cod and the impacts on sensitive habitat.

Pacific cod caught in Japan and Russia is on the "Avoid" list. In Japan, overfishing is likely occurring in most regions, and management is ineffective. In Russia, information about the populations’ status, bycatch of other species, habitat impacts and management is very limited or unknown.

Here is the full report (PDF) on Alaskan pacific cod.

I think it's safe to say that alaskan fish is "guilt free" to the extent that eating any wild caught fish can be guilt free. The Alaskan fisheries in general are considered the best-managed in the world, and they are now as far as we can tell, sustainable.

Also, pacific cod is Gadus macrocephalus; all four of the members of the Gadus genus are cod, although G. chalcogrammus is called "alaskan pollock" and was only reclassified as a member of Gadus, and G. ogac (Greenland cod) is now considered a subspecies of G. macrocephalus. There are a bunch of other fish in the family Gadidae that are called "cod" too, and it's not really wrong to refer to them as that just because their scientific classification has been shuffled around.

It is correct to call pacific cod a true cod.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jul 29, 2017

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'll still sell low-value items but for the most part, stuff I can't sell to Half Price Books just gets donated to Goodwill for a tax write-off.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I think it depends somewhat on what you're selling, too. I would not sell used parts - for cars, or computers, or anything else. It's just too easy for the buyer to break it and then insist you sold a broken part, or to be too stupid to read the description that the part is used.

On the other hand I've had no problem selling books or antiques.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Cage posted:

I don't think I would ever be able to do this. Across 3 hard drives is about 15 years of random files that I store with zero organization. Every few years I take everything and plop them on a bigger hard drive and then branch out my folders even more making it very difficult to find anything if I wanted to.

Just look at this crap. A giant mess of jpgs, wavs, mp3s, apps I havent used for 15 years. Christ.

Since I got my own computer in 1992 I have never lost a hard drive, so I still have all my poo poo, and that includes poo poo I put onto that computer from my stash of 5 1/4s that went back to grade school in the mid 1980s. Cheap storage capacity has always kept up with my data, although my DSLR is starting to make me rethink my "never delete anything ever" policy (I shoot in RAW + JPG mode so every click of the shutter is about 24MB).

Which still kind of blows me away sometimes. My very first hard drive was a Seagate ST-220 which was an MFM drive with 20 cavernous megabytes of capacity. I create more bits than would fit on that solid hunk of metal every time I push a button on my camera... and it takes a fraction of a second to store it, too. So why bother spending weeks combing through thousands of old files that all together probably amount to maybe a gig? Include every digital photo I took before I got my DSLR and you might add another 20... my dashcam has a 64GB card in it. 20GB is nothing.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jul 31, 2017

• Locked thread