Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

My money is on the kitten beating rascal up :D

Smudge thinks less of you for not adopting that kitten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Gotta love it when you pull the wheel bearings on your camper trailer and theres a small amount of rust damage on the rollers, but you KNOW that you gotta do it right. I could probably get away with it, and it would be fine for 10K kms but I also know that if i loose a wheel on a 1.5T camper trailer at 100kph on the Oodnadatta track in a weeks time then its going over and the landcruiser is probably going with it. And of course cos its a fancy as gently caress Kimberley Kamper it uses 2 tonne bearings on a 50mm stub axle, so they arent going to be cheap to replace.

Cheaper than a $37K camper and $90K 4wd, 1000km from the city tho.

Isaac is also reporting in for box cat duties.

And smudge appears to have suffered structural failure of her legs. Again.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Just a friendly suggestion; don't go 100kph with a 1.5t camper, ESPECIALLY on a loving unsealed outback road.

You've never driven the oodna track before have you? Its a gravel highway. 100kph is the speed the ROAD TRAINS sit on on it unless its a chewed up section after some rain.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Nidhg00670000 posted:

So? You yourself said that if you loose a wheel at that speed you'll flip both caravan and car? If your trailer flips when it looses a wheel you're going too fast, and if it also flips your car it's too heavy a trailer for your car. And I'm guessing you're not going to sell your trailer.

EDIT: I realize I come off as far more confrontational than I intended. I'm sorry.

Nah its all good. Most people just dont get outback driving. When your on a road like this

Its no big deal at all doing 100-110kph, even towing (Usually sit on 100 when towing cos otherwise the big girl drinks like an alcoholic at a brewery). the issue is that if your towing an offroad camper trailer and the wheel comes off, shes going to dig in and drag to the side, pull you off the edge of the road and THATS when your in deep poo poo cos once your in that soft sand at speed its game over.

Thats basically the setup, except thats a 200 series not a 100 series like I drive.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

he's exported from the colonies to the detroit.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

theres a lot of weight out the back on these, 90L water tank behind the rear axles. They actually tow REALLY REALLY well. They are heavier on the tow tongue than other models of campers, but still around the 10% of ATM rule so its not so bad. also having more of the storage between the suspension on the trailer and the rear suspension on the tow vehicle means your gear doesnt get shaken around as much.

Most of the time when your offroad you tend to smash the tailgate end of a trailer into the ground rather than the drawbar, and if your going into creek steep creek crossings you want a shorter overhang at the rear than a long one.

They're stupidly capable campers offroad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aReX0H4eZ4Y

And super well equipped too!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Can you stop being so sickeningly cutesy on facebook Rhyno!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Theres gotta be a mains shut off at the street, otherwise you'd never be able to hook the house to the mains in the first place without shutting down an entire block.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Jesus gently caress the cruiser is trying to bankrupt me.... $2000 in 6 days. $1600 for tyres on Monday, then yesterday the Aux battery that runs the fridges poo poo the bed. $400 to replace THAT!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Is the red reservoir on the intake manifold the the coolant overflow tank or something else?

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

Also if you break down almost anywhere in the UK you are still only like 30 minutes at most from a place that can tow you, and there's not many places without cell phone coverage. In the US, the prospect of breaking down scares people because they envision themselves in this situation (even though they never actually drive to places like this):

So I think in the UK people are just more tolerant of unreliable vehicles, generally.

Hey that looks like where I was last week!

I just started to organise getting a new windscreen for the big girl. Terrified that I'll find rust above the passenger sun visor- seems to be the ONLY place these things actually rust.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Nah, its dry as dry can be up there at the moment, nothing but dust so no mud coating this time.

Places down around Craddock have had less than 10mm of rain this winter- the publican at the hotel said that he's just had 2000 lambs drop and he'll probably loose ~1000 to starvation cos you can feed em grain when they're new born or their stomachs will explode, and if the mums are starving they'll just turn off the milk and walk away from the lambs. Every blade of grass is dead.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Gah why is solar so full of bullshit and confusion.

Two quotes- One quote for $11k, Uses 36 x 270w panels for a total panel output of 9.7kw, Uses a single 8.2Kw inverter

Second quote- $13.5K, uses 38 x 275w panels for a total panel output of 10.4kw. Runs dual 5.0kw inverters.

You think I can get a straight answer on whether the 8.2kw inverter is going to limit the output of the whole systems to below what the panels are good for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Raluek posted:

There are two reasons why I think that might not be a huge problem:
1) Those inverters might be rated for continuous output, not peak output. Do you have any model numbers or anything we can use to look it up?
2) Even if the above isn't true, it still only limits the rate at which you can pull from your batteries. Usually, the chain of devices to turn sun into a wall outlet goes solar panel(s) -> charge controller -> battery bank -> inverter -> breaker panel. As long as your charge controller can handle the maximum power your panels can put out in full sun, you'll still be able to take full advantage, you just might not be able to suck power out of your battery bank as fast as you can put it in (in ideal conditions). That seems like an acceptable problem to have, I think.

These are grid connect solar systems, so anything you dont use internally goes out to the grid and you get paid for it. They're capable of being hooked to battery systems, but not at the moment while theyre still hovering around $1K per kWh

The 8.2kw inverter is a Fronius Primo 8.2
http://www3.fronius.com/cps/rde/xchg/SID-2C1A07E0-2F9FC668/fronius_australia/hs.xsl/25_10234.htm

The twin 5.0kw inverters are a pair of SMA Sunny Boys
http://files.sma.de/dl/28329/SB30-50-DEN1721-V24web.pdf

Apparently its illegal to make a solar inverter with a not stupid name.

From further research it seems that the concept of "Overclocking" your inverter by putting more array on it than its rated too is quite common in the AU solar industry, You do loose a bit of generation capacity when your at full tilt because your not able to fully exploit your panels, but you do get small gains in production either side of that. The trick is not having too much lost production that you dont exceed it with your gains either side.

Which makes me ask why i'd pay for 9.7KW of panels when i only have 8.2Kw of inverter when i can pay for 10.4kw of panels and get 10kw of inverter? Not sure chopping 1.5kw of your array capacity out of production is really worth the apparent gains either side?

• Locked thread