Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Classic F1 cars running up goodwood and some fuckface won't shut the gently caress up about stupid planes doing lame poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Just stick a few packs of multicolor post-its on it and sell it as a pinata.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Geoj posted:

Have you been to Indiana?

It's probably boring as poo poo culture wise but you're 3 hours away from Indy, Road America, Mid-ohio. A tank of gas away from VIR, Road atlanta, Barber. Probably a bunch of nascar junk, too.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

beep-beep car is go posted:

It's all about perspective but for me living in the Northeast it still blows my mind when people call houses from the 30s "old." My best friend grew up in an house from 1793. I believe we celebrated the houses 200th birthday too. Dad's house growing up was from 1800. Mom's childhood home was from the 18th century too. Some friends of friends in Salem live in a house where part of it is from the 1600s. The upstairs was modernized, but the downstairs original part wasn't, so I got to go to a Christmas party in an almost 400 year old great room (with a gently caress-off big fireplace) My current place was built in '48 and it's a little too new for my wife and I.

But then everyone in Europe looks over and chuckles to themselves from their 1000 year old houses.

In the 19th century, most people in alberta were still living in sod houses.

There are only maybe 30 or 40 buildings here still standing from before 1900, and even then the population of the entire province in 1901 was around 73 thousand and didn't top 1 million until 1956.

Beyond that, the population growth followed the boom and bust cycle of oil, so you have distinct eras of housing. mid 50s, then early 70s, then mid 80s, then early 00s.In the cities, a lot of the oldest houses sit on prime real-estate, so they get torn down, dug up, and have mansions built in their place leading to hilarious situations with little 600 square foot crap shacks beside 3 story 3 million dollar homes.

2007: https://goo.gl/maps/cETgiWazKzA2
2015: https://goo.gl/maps/Rs1QeLbDgMx

e: another good one,

2007: busted rear end minivan and busted rear end mini house: https://goo.gl/maps/9KfQXMDjiXr
2015: busted rear end porsche and busted rear end mcmansion: https://goo.gl/maps/ESb6M8nvHey

Powershift fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jul 6, 2017

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Kazinsal posted:

I don't think I've ever seen an HOA in Canada.

Instead our housing market is so horrendously hosed up that it will need to pop several times before I can even consider maybe thinking about buying a house before I die.

We have bylaw enforcement here which can be just as bad, and city wide, so inescapable outside of leaving the city.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Don't forget you can bribe the cops to ignore almost anything and they sell beer absolutely everywhere.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Liquid Communism posted:

Our current AG has a hateboner six miles high for drug offenses, and loves mandatory minimums in sentencing. One of his first policy memos was to instruct federal prosecutors to pursue charges that carry a mandatory minimum sentence preferentially. As a Congressman he worked to oppose sentencing reform for non-violent drug crimes for just that reason.

Yeah, but all of those are just a side effect of his intense hatred of black people.

If he could just arrest black people for being black, he would probably be indifferent towards drugs.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

KakerMix posted:

Just watched the 1978 film "The Driver" and it was great. Funny reading reviews of the time calling it 'ultra violent' though.

Reviews written by mercedes owners, no doubt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Reading old newspapers. in 1974, there's a help wanted ad for snow removal/lawnmowing that today would pay between minimum wage of $12.20 and around $16, and they're offering $3.50 an hour, minimum wage at the time was $1.90. Mowing lawns should pay $22 an hour at the same ratio over minimum wage.

In the same paper, a new Mazda 808 coupe was $3,190. That's 1679 hours or 42 weeks at minimum wage. 911 hours mowing lawns and shoveling snow or 23 weeks mowing lawns/shoveling snow.

At the current minimum wage, 1679 hours is $20,483, a base mazda 3 is $19,550. 911 hours at $16/hour is $14,576.

Then 3 bedroom bi-level house rental was $220 a month. 116 hours at minimum wage, 63 hours mowing lawns, 40% of pretax income.
Now, that same house would probably be around $1800 a month. 147 hours at minimum wage. 113 hours mowing lawns.71% of pretax income

In the classifieds, there's a 1964 impala hard top, asking $375. 197 hours at minimum wage or 107 hours mowing lawns. 197 hours at minimum wage today would be $2,403. 107 hours at $16/hour would be $1,712.

an hour at minimum wage then would buy 1 pound of t-bone steak, 2 pounds of coffee, or 20 oranges.
an hour at minimum wage now would buy 1 pound of t-bone steak, 1.8 pounds of coffee, around 12 oranges.

So apart from housing, most things required to live haven't gotten significantly less attainable based on minimum wage. It's mostly a matter of wages being continually beaten down and housing getting out of control. Life probably wouldn't suck for so many people if minimum wage was seen as a sign of abuse instead of a guideline for unskilled labor.

Also funny: loving cyclists :argh:

e: found a 1 bedroom house in 1973 for $50/month. 26 hours at minimum wage. 26 hours at today's min wage would be $317. You can't even rent a bedroom in a shared house for $317. a one bedroom basement suite is $800.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jul 30, 2017

• Locked thread