Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

fridge corn posted:

there hasn't been a good bond film since Kingsman

Fixed that for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Goober Peas posted:

I'm the weirdo that would buy a Cactus if offered in the US.

:colbert:

I might actually try and get a test ride in one, I reckon I'd end up liking the odd-looking yet strangely endearing thing. I'd then drop it and put some cool wheels on it.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Over here they have to provide you with suitable chairs for health and safety reasons. If you're sat for any length of time at a desk you can kick off and get things that fit.

Hooray for regulations!

That reminds me, I need to get a free eyetest off work.

*fakedit: we've had stand up desks, variable height desks and even a loving treadmill desk in our office.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Tomarse posted:

They are free in quite a few places already, so just save the effort and go to one of them and then hit up work afterwards if you need to for glasses. Tesco Opticians are definitely free. Some Boot's seem to be, and the vision express in my local shithole town also was last time I went there.

It's been years since I've been for one and I used to wear glasses so I feel like getting some will essentially be like upgrading to ultra high definition (though what will the call the next upgrade to TV resolution?)

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Why are people bad at reading and problem solving?

"We'd like to do <thing> let us know when you're able to do <thing>. The date suggested is merely to put this in the diary, please tell us when you can do <thing>"

Cue everyone saying "I can't do the date in the diary"

Honestly. Just give the gently caress up, if it's this hard to read and understand words I foresee struggle in your life.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

InitialDave posted:

Can someone please buy the Isuzu Piazza Turbo that's on Ebay so it stops tempting me?

A few friends and I have a facebook messenger group for cars and generally peer-pressuring people into buying cars. That popped up today in chat.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Rhyno you should just have awkward, boring, unfulfilling sex with your stalker. They'll soon leave you alone.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Can confirm E30s are fun cars, they feel like you'll die for sure if you crash which heightens the experience somewhat.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

You Am I posted:

Too late for Tusen, he's planted his seed

Take her to a concert with a really good sub setup and go find the spot where it's the loudest.

I unintentionally found about about this 'trick' years ago.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

bolind posted:

All this hearing loss talk, I should probably get tested. If I'm frying something at the stove I can't hear a single word my wife is saying.

To save you time/money I can tell you right now that you're loving deaf m8. :/

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

fridge corn posted:

Wasn't Nolans last film a meandering pointless rehash of 2001?

Nolan's last film was a bit crap, yeah.

...but then my dude is hopelessly overrated for *reasons* that I don't actually understand.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Tomarse posted:

I saw a wierd little Daihatsu on the road yesterday. Couldn't work out what its badge said.

Then I realised that there was a new MCM out so I watched that thisafternoon and found myself conveniently educated about Daihatsu's - including the information that it was a Copen that I saw.

Copens are cool as gently caress, a massive hard folding roof on a kei car? Immense. I found one for sale in decent nick for about £1200 and I regret not buying it. I'd look so cool in one.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

KakerMix posted:

Helaciously expensive, it seems to be one of those cars that people are slightly familiar with and since they are super unique looking the demand far outpaces supply. Especially since they are now legal in the USA. Lots of people here to drive prices skyward.

I always liked the Pao more anyway, it's a 90s VW Thing made by Nissan. Canvas top available, 5 speed manual and available A/C.

or the Be-1

Or the S-Cargo but that seems way more gimmicky than any of these cars. Made at the same time by the same studio as the Figaro.

Paos and Be-1s are far cooler than the Figaro. I've seen loads of Figaros on the road, maybe 3 Paos, a couple of S-cargos and zero Be-1s to the point I'm beginning to believe they were never actually produced.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I'm looking forward to seeing Valerian at the cinema, I know it's not going to be great but it's going to be very pretty and entertaining because Luc Besson and that's currently all I require from sci-fi because the genre as a whole is trash.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I have a love/hate relationship with it really, in theory at least you can do loving anything with sci-fi but there's not all that many batshit crazy movies out there.

...unless someone has a few to recommend??

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

InitialDave posted:

It depends what you like already, really.

Stuff with a bit of imagination which is why I'm looking forward to Valerian.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

InitialDave posted:

The short films that Blomkamp's doing on his Oats youtube channel are really interesting though.

I've literally just this minute finished watching Zygote. The weird reptilian one was the best but the creature in this is the most interesting. It seems like some of the ideas are decent but I don't really have much faith Blomkamp can pull his head out of his arse long enough to objectively consider what he's doing.

D9 was great, Elysium pretty good, Chappie just arse. The latter bummed me out because the premise of a learning AI being brought up like you would a baby is great, but then you introduce Die Antwoord who poo poo up the screen for 90 minutes and have other characters do the dumbest stuff imaginable in a weird mash up of Robocop and Short Circuit which lacks even a small amount of the charm either of those films have.

I'm hoping to be surprised by the new Blade Runner, Villneuve has put out some good films.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Tits are great, commenting about someone's tits on an internet forum is weird. ...unless it's a forum dedicated to tits.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Darchangel posted:

I respect Howard Taylor's (author and artist of webcomic "Schlock Mercenary") opinion on movies, as he seems to have similar tastes to myself regarding SF/fantasy stuff.
He says that Valerian is beautiful, *but*.
Summary quote:
"Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets deserves top billing in a future season of Mystery Science Theater 3000. It was only slightly less painful to watch than Cry Wilderness or Starcrash. It clears my Threshold of Disappointment, obviously, and does so with such aplomb that I almost feel like apologizing to Transformers: The Last Knight."

Ouch.
(http://howardtayler.com/2017/07/valerian-and-the-city-of-a-thousand-planets/)

Still may go see it on matinee/second run.

I was excited when I saw the trailer for that, until it got to the Michael Bay part, then I actively avoided it, because I hate what he's done to a part of my childhood.

On a related note, just saw the teaser for Pacific Rim 2. I'm in. Love my giant robots, just not Michael Bay.

Also, Stranger Things 2! And Death Note live action (will watch that one with my daughter - she loved the anime) and Marvel's Defenders on Netflix, and The Tickon Amazon Video,

I'm straight up not expecting much from Valerian, only glorious visuals and weird poo poo so I'm good I think. The source material is very French so if it's even somewhat close I'll enjoy it. That said, didn't his Fifth Element get panned on release too?

Also bolded the poo poo I need to watch.

InitialDave posted:

Lol at RCR saying the Rover 75 is the car he'd most want to take back to the US...

I tried to tell everyone he doesn't like cars, just writing about them. But no, you wouldn't listen would you? :argh:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

InitialDave posted:

Another oddity: 660cc, but four cylinders with an ickle turbo on it.

And yes, it seems to have been neglected. I'll get into that when I do what I really should do and start a thread for my poo poo in the near future, but for now I'll just say I have never seen oil this bad in an engine. And that includes any of those "100k without an oil change?!?!?" Youtube videos. :stare:

Bad in what way exactly?!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Same Moe, same.

https://youtu.be/2nhFH25JNgc

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Don't joke, that poo poo wasn't cool. :cry:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

KakerMix posted:

Some guys want lady parts themselves as you may or may not know :v:

...and also your man parts. Some people are greedy.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Liquid Communism posted:

God, don't read it. I have read worse books, but I'd be hard pressed to determine when. The whole thing is just a nostalgia wankfest of 80's pop culture in a terrible, pandering way.

I found this picture with the caption

quote:

An exclusive look at my upcoming book: Ready Player One Except With Girl Culture. Hmu, Spielberg

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Drink more milk, lift more weight, your babby bones are brittle af.

get well soon

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

...people genuinely believe anything he says? :lolplant:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

cursedshitbox posted:

The parts I was born with or the parts that were removed after birth? :v:

I identify lots of people as being as useful as a removed foreskin.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Deadlift all the pillar drills.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

InitialDave posted:

Lifting stuff that's an awkward shape and covered in grease and pointy bits is a lot more awkward than a nice clean olympic bar.

I'm stronger than average, but it's still not fun when you have a lump of casting poking you in the spuds.

I have a problem with my arm being just the right length to occasionally rub the bar on my cock and balls when deadlifting. I might have to start tucking.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Cressidas are cooler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Rhyno posted:

And probably far more expensive than the 929.

Cool ain't cheap, man :byob1:

• Locked thread