Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Freelander owner spotted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

blk posted:

Nope, Outback 3.0

same thing

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I'm drunk and haven't purchased it yet but I'm working on it!!!

Me too. It helps me speak the language here better anyway.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Ford kept diesel options available in the e350 for fleet sales only until 2015. Kind of like a post-2008 Crown Vic thing.

Our mechanics hate it. There's no access to anything, and the turbo piping ends up right against the doghouse, making it noisy and sometimes melting things.

I love the econoline, but holy oh gently caress that god drat engine. what a motherbitch to work on in the van chassis. It's bad enough in the SD trucks.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

cakesmith handyman posted:

He's in a top floor apartment so this involves a balcony or window? :v:

There's no shame in pissing off a balcony at 4am.

It does kinda suck for the guy that passed out in the bushes though.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Jesus Christ. That's like a $300k+ house here.

And 3mil in the bay area. lolol

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
I'll take my chances in Ukraine, thanks~

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

What on earth are you doing in Ukraine?

Things that goons don't care about.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
https://www.olx.ua/obyavlenie/prodam-vaz-21099-turbo-200l-s-IDsr02i.html#706d209f2e

200hp homebrew turbo vaz. Help I need an adult.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Seminal Flu posted:

More like "Help, I need a shipping container."

He's in the same city I am ;)
Actually about 6km south of me.

I saw nothing about a flip-plate in the ad, but it does have an intercooler.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jul 6, 2017

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
I think it's official enough to post. The wife and I are moving to Ukraine. it is not open for debate or renegotiation.
We've rented a 500sq-m warehouse, and are starting the second makerspace(that i'm aware of) in this country.

However.

Buy my tools, truck, bus, and our fabrication poo poo, and david's DR. (my bike is tentatively sold already)

You all should know that incase poo poo goes awry we do have an exit strategy planned. We know what we're getting into.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
In short, VAT for the truck is $52,000 usd. so. no. Shipping for two bikes + 4 pallets is anywhere between 4-7000 usd. Selling things in the US and rebuying here is a stabler option than trying to drag all that poo poo here, wait for customs, hope shippers don't gently caress poo poo up, etc etc.

Tools? soviet era machine tools, tovarish. The government is just as hosed as the us government, take that with what you will. HOWEVER they are actively arresting people violating the laws.
Since the maiden things have changed quite a bit for the good.

To outfit the makerspace it's about $15,000 usd. we're talkign everything from machine tools to 3d printers to electronics stations to arts/crafts. oh and a 3meter by 3 meter x-y gantry for general purpose.

"The Ukraine" is about as bad as saying Poland belongs to Germany. Just. Don't. Speaking of. Look up Holodomor if you're unfamiliar. It's the Ukranian holocaust.

Cost of living in SF is one of the highest. Ukraine is the polar loving opposite. There is plenty of wiggle room for fuckups.
E: the wife has a team of coworkers here, he'll continue managing them locally now, retaining his pay.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jul 7, 2017

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

InitialDave posted:

Yeah, fair enough. You know you now need to buy some massive ex-soviet military truck(s), right?

Also, I imagine you would have really dug into this before the decision, but what's the deal with being gay there? I know it's legal, but socially, where do you stand on a spectrum from "no fucks given" to "being chased down the street with torches"?

IMO? Bedroom matters belong in the bedroom. These people tend to share the same sentiment. There was a gay pride in Kiev not too long ago (I'm in Zaporizhye). I tend to blend in with everybody else here, and don't do PDA, so far so good.

Some would probably be tempted to bust my head if i were out hitting on guys or smoochin someone on the streets, but that ain' my thing. I'd say it's on par with some rural parts of America.

Trucks? I am limited to 7500KG in mass weight. I might be able to bob an Ural and deal with the associated red tape, but I'm not doing that. I want to start using the knowledge i've acquired in college and start building robots.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Tomarse posted:

sweet! :) Can I come visit one day?

Can you find me a UAZ-452?

Yep!
https://www.olx.ua/obyavlenie/prodam-uaz-vezdehod-IDsIDtc.html#3f46f960c1
Done! Om617, Audi powersteering. 4800 usd.
They call em "Буханка" here. "bread loaf" cause they resemble such.

I *really* want one, but with 1200kg capacity, can't justify it. the 3302 can do almost 2 tonne. (we're talking some big rear end machine tools)

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah there's asshats everywhere. IMO countries are like finding a mate. You gotta find the one with the right bullshit you can put up with and a few good perks.

I have an 'international driving license' which permits me to drive 7500kg here. I *can* and may pursue a local driving license with the right endorsements to drive fun things, but ehhhh we'll see.
These fuckers all drive like rally drivers. I love it. They know how to actually drive here, unlike that horseshit left hand loafin donno where i'm going bullshit I see in the states all the time.

They do use EUs traffic signs/systems/etc. and I'm seeing more and more cars being listed with "euro 4 or 5 compliance". so maybe they're cleaning up their act hoping to get their foot in the door. Russian/Ukranian cars are generally shunned by the locals from what I've been told.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Liquid Communism posted:

Good luck, don't get yourself loving murdered. :)

Bad time to be openly gay in that part of the world.
Murdered/stabbing? eh, There is a higher risk for that infront of my house in Vallejo. Actually the first murder since we've been here happened two nights ago.

I don't go around advertising what I do in my bedroom, like stated before. While I am 'out' I dont go hitting on every guy I see or actively try to ram my dick down his throat, contrary to popular opinion. It is of low concern imo.

beep-beep car is go posted:

Congrats on the move! I'm hoping for lots of photos in threads here and on Instagram :D How's your Ukrainian?

My Ukranian is worse than my Russian, I just haven't studied it yet.(I don't want to confuse myself doing two languages at once). (I can also hire a tutor when needed)

stump posted:

Google translate makes that sound like a Knockers and Snatch classified.

haha this is awesome. And that sums up a lot of the used vehicle ads here which makes me a little wary of buying something used like a 2buck whore.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

everdave posted:

I hope you do well and document it for us, not sure why you would think goons wouldn't be interested. Be safe. We care.

Safety is our number #2 priority!

I spoke about the plans with some other goons/friends prior and the general consensus was that it was either the dumbest loving thing, or why would anybody want to leave the us and move to such a dump, that I should try Atlanta instead.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
PICS: The second photo in this album is for Adiabatic. He mentioned the unfinished bridge, welp I hiked to it last week.

http://imgur.com/a/WmCxE

These pics are from the first week or so that we were here.

white and red lettered pavilion is "resturant louisiana" it's not a resturant at all but a food court of sorts.
melrose is an american themed diner. These people adore Americans and their culture.
lastly is some rides in the middle of the park. Their fair rides are permanently fixed. "тир" Means shooting gallery. Note the characters.
I'd like to point out how loving clean they keep the area. I've seen very little trash on the ground here. That surprised me most of all.

http://imgur.com/a/5Xb2z

This is the home of our makerspace. 500sq-m. (5400sq-ft) 600A 3Ph on tap.
(yes, that first tin plate cover is from 1966, and stamped Ukranian SSR.)

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

nm posted:

Bay area COL is out of hand so he went the complete opposite way?

That is part of it, but it can be negated with "move to atlanta :v: ".

In short, we want to evolve our projects, and can't do it easily stateside. Cheaper tools + cheaper cost of living + intelligent individuals + cheap materials make things a gently caress yes.
Fwiw a good amount of soviet's engineering texts reside about an hour north. I fully intend to get lost in that library.

You can argue these points, absolutely. But ahahahaha my last Collaboration was with a CAL mechanical engineering grad that was anti-plastic/composites and renewables from the garden only kinda guy. There's some stuff we want to work on that will take a more open mind than OMG PLASTIC IS RUINING THE WORLD.

and yep. There are downsides.

1. Air polution here is equivalent to 00's Los-Angeles.
2. The language barrier, is less of a barrier, but more of a small kerb.
3. Corrupt rear end government just like home in the U.S. It's just more in your face and not hidden by the uppercrust.
4. Pootypoots shenanigans. Yep, this could be a problem. We know.
5. Homophobia, this honestly is a pretty small point to us.

Things We'd like to see the makerspace do:
1. opensource ukraine into the 21st century.
2. Fix the recycling issues here.
3. Help push the steel mills into using scrubbers.

We've already two businesses all for this project. One of which holds interns at the state universities and has reached out to them already. Of our 10-15 friends, they've reached out to their networks. So far there is massive support for such a thing. We just have to successfully pull this off.

I've chatted with two ex-pats that live here. one has been here for almost 4 years, from rural TN. His biggest complaint? the random shutting the water off in his building for maint. The other is from LosAngeles. He had no major gripes, but his parents were from Russia.

Best case: we do cool poo poo.
Worst case: we return to the states a few dollars poorer, but we still gained knowledge and experience.

oh did I mention we can visit CERN on the regular? :D

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Apartment lease signed. 11th floor. Views of the river and the district building. about twice as nice as the place in SF and 1/8 the price.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Re: apartment
http://imgur.com/a/xFF2n
I took a picture of the district building for a reason:
https://goo.gl/maps/4yTgoamhdDU2

and some more cars
http://imgur.com/a/RBo1Y

E: we backed out of the afore mentioned 500sq-m/5400sq-ft building. the cost to make it usable was in excess of finding buildings already finished and ready for work.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Enourmo posted:

And don't you shortasses come whining about me not being grateful for the ~~blessing~~ of being tall; you can get a stool, I'm stuck with these loving redwood legs for the rest of my life. I have to shove the brake pedal to the floor to get my knee under the steering wheel when I get in the car, and I drive a crown vic.

Everytime I get this i kneel and show em the dents/scars/scratches on my head from where I lay frame on loving everything.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Does your wife call you tripod?

Yes.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Six hours from now I board a train that takes me to Kiev then to Pripyat/Chernobyl.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Seminal Flu posted:

Do you get to see the elephant's foot?

Every morning. :quagmire:

KozmoNaut posted:

Bring back some artifacts, stalker.
5 year prison sentance; no.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

ilkhan posted:

When is the move? We still need to go for a ride together at some point.

The move date is planned for Oct 1. The Drz was sold to a friend and will be delivered two weeks after I return which is jul23.

The Locator posted:

Based on his recent posts, he's already made the move.

We're here now gauging whether or not we would be able to live here.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Go see Chernobyl unless you're scared of living without starbucks and artisanal toast.

Ya, that's on the top of a 16 story apartment building. I had a rad guide.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Goober Peas posted:

I went about 10 years ago and it was amazing. Do they still make you wear dosimeters?

Nope. the highest reading I took on the trip was 6 Microsieverts. I obviously didn't rub around in poo poo or go where I wasn't told to.

Going back out there is two check stations. Everybody unloads and goes through a scanner, and they walk around the vehicle with a hand scanner.
The Ukrainian guards found this an opportune time to prank me. They slipped a test piece in behind my head without my notice when I went into the test machine. Lulz were had.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
3100km from me. yea that's doable.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
'you do you'

I've been hit on by all sexes. *shrug* Politely decline and go about your day

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

InitialDave posted:

Are you off your pills again? The E30 318iS is one of only about three four-cylinder 3-series you should ever buy, the others being the 320iS and M3.

It's got the same power as the contemporary M20-engined 320i, but with less weight, that weight saving coming front right near the nose.

And since when aren't they fun?

He's a subaru owner. Don't engage. it's like the Jeep vs Rover vs whatever crowd.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I can't hear a drat thing you're saying BECAUSE THAT loving PHONE WON'T STOP RINGING SOMEBODY ANSWER THE loving THING ALREADY

Phone won't stop ringing? More like I'm perched on the wing of a b52 during takeoff.

I can't hear poo poo humans speak, but boyyyyy howdy if there is one slight tink amiss inside of an engine I know it before anyfuckingbodyelse.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

InitialDave posted:

It comes from owning crap cars.

Speaking of!
https://www.olx.ua/obyavlenie/prodam-range-rover-4x4-2-5-diesel-bmw-IDtHMao.html#c5524009e7

https://www.olx.ua/obyavlenie/range-rover-IDqPFOo.html#c5524009e7

https://www.olx.ua/obyavlenie/renzh-2-5-dizel-IDq8FSc.html#c5524009e7

https://www.olx.ua/obyavlenie/prodam-avtomobil-rover-land-rover-discovery-2007-IDsMOXV.html#c5524009e7

diesel 5 speed p38s (gutless, but stout engine), and a diesel 5mt LR3. gently caress me I need an adult like woah.

FWIW I hear Russian just fine, probably because they all yell.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

InitialDave posted:

You can find a diesel P38 for almost half that here, if you can live with it being RHD.

Might be a bit rough round the edges though.

I can count on one hand the number of rovers that aren't rough.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
hi guys. More pics.

I leave today to return to SF in a few hours. Ain' looking forward to it.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Brits have poor taste, news at 11.

Flying back to the us right now.... culture shock like woah.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

InitialDave posted:

Zygote was my favourite so far.

Yeah, this. I hated it.

Just bought a 3D printer :toot:

what'd you get?

I just got home.

1. American tourists are loving special obnoxious asshats and oh my loving god I want to go back to Ukraine *aneurysm*
2. 12 hours on a plane with these jackasses will really make you appreciate slavic culture.
3. Someone tried to break into my loving garage but failed since there was a 4 ton anchor in the way. I successfully cut my way in because I need a goddamn shower like woah.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
:confuoot:

I don't understand

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Rhyno posted:

I'm no actor but my balls are pretty dope

pics or gtfo

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Looks like a government building up to its tit in seawater.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Wells fargo loving sucks.

Use Cap. One.

• Locked thread