Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Go get that kitty. Surely Rascal can be trained to be friends?

If I wrote fault code reading software I would program in combo bonuses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

My neighbours basement is flooding and their sump pump is consequently flooding our yards. They appear to be gone for the long weekend and I can hear the water at the source running but there isn't a valve I can turn off. I tried calling the non emergency phone line but they told me they can't have officers break in to verify that there is a catastrophic leakage on the property and I don't have their phone number and none of their neighbours are home

What do I do

Can you extend the output from the sump pump so it doesn't flood the yards, and extend it to a drain or further way?

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

I'm trying to build up a comprehensive toolbox that I can keep in the back of my Landrover or chuck in the car for long roadtrips.

Its a landrover so the list of possible repairs that I want to be able to deal with is quite big and some stuff is fairly heavy duty!

Has anybody else done this and been organised enough to have made a list of what you put into it?

This is what I've got so far:

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Thanks for the suggestions!.

I've built this so far using my duplicate/spare/older/crappier tools.. Which is why there is a 3/8 set of sockets in there that starts at 11mm...

I'm only planning on using this in anger or emergencies, not as an everyday set.

QuarkMartial posted:

I see tools to repair brake lines, and brake lines, but no replacement fluid. Might as well add a quart of oil and either a jug of coolant or something to fill with water.
They are in there because i have a spare brake flaring kit and I went out in the Landy about 2 weeks ago and a brake line split as I stopped at the end of my road so I figured carrying them will stop it happening again! I have fluids in the car already.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

One thing motorcycles has taught me: you can never have enough 10mm anything.

Also, If you can find a 3/8" drive 10mm socket. Buy it. My Snap-on set has done things I'd never ask of my Craftsman again.
I've lost my decent (Halfords Pro) 3/8 and 1/4 10mm sockets. The price of re-buying quality make ones is quite upsetting. I've got lovely chinesium ones in my main box at the moment.

InitialDave posted:

- Jump leads!
- Stanley locking adjustable instead of just a generic one
- BSW/BSF sockets if you'll be messing with any of the bits requiring them
- I see little additional value to the 3/8" drive kit if you have the 1/4" and 1/2" in there. That's a "nice to have" for me.
- Batteries for your torch
- Breaker bar
- Don't buy those circlip pliers with interchangeable heads. Buy a set of cheap one-piece ones
- A jack that won't kill you. Well, not easily.
- A reasonable length of thick (say 12mm) blue poly rope
- Fast setting JB Weld or Araldite or similar
- Another, smaller, vehicle to go and get help

Cheers, I hadn't listed some stuff as it isn't in the toolbox but already with the car. I've added some more of this to my list.

I've got a set of spare 1/2" BSF sockets. have added them. I only ever use a couple of them (9/16 and 3/4 for Saab suspension), but i'll have the whole set just in case. I only need a 1/4 Whitworth spanner for the LR handbrake drum.

I do actually have one of the interchangeable circlip pliers sets in this box - but only because I've had it in my main toolbox until recently building a set of proper one piece ones for my proper toolbox, and they are loving annoying to use but do work!

Is there a reason for the blue poly rope over a flat tow strap and ratchet straps? (I have both of these in both landies already!)

spog posted:

Zip ties
Electrical tape
Duct tape
Wire coathanger (rehanging the exhaust)
AA member card (both definitions
Cigarette lighter
Candles
Chocolate/Kendal Mint Cake
Condoms
... Shoot, a fella' could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff.

I've already got a first aid kit in each of my cars, and because I'm a good scout there's some johnnies in them too.

I had considered my electrical cable for exhaust hanging too - but a chopped up coathanger is probably more sensible.

quote:

Likewise: 2 hammers and 3 sets of grips seems a bit excessive.
This is designed for landrover use!.. getting a brake drum off is frequently a 2 hammer job (lever it with the normal hammer while beating it with the lump hammer) - especially if something in there is hosed and i'm on the side of the road in the rain.

updated:

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

cakesmith handyman posted:

Tomarse, I see no fuel/vac hose in that list.

Also that list is slightly better equipped than my whole garage, I know all the landy jokes but are they really that bad?

I'm only in this for about £10 so far, and I'll probably need to spend another £20 on odd bits.
I really am just using all the extra/old poo poo I already have and stuff i have duplicates of or have replaced with newer better stuff. The socket set came out of a family friends barn and is a very rusty 80's piecemeal Draper kit that was apparently for his tractor. The spanners are my first chinesium set that I had when I was 18 that cost £5 from the local market. The multimeter is my old one. The brake flaring kit was an insurance replacement which I ended up not needing as I found mine (they dropped it outside)

It cant just me me that never throws old tools out but just chucks them into "the drawer full of old poo poo".

fjelltorsk posted:

-CO2 extinguisher for small electrical fires
- dry Chem extinguisher for larger fires
- seat belt cutter/window breaker

And it's a rover.... probably a pound of kitty sand/absol

I've been sensible and have extinguishers mounted in all my vehicles including the cars. Seems like a good idea - especially with Rovers! A small bag of cat litter might be a good call - it will fit round the bottles of oil I already have in one of the lockers.

:doh: missed that it was for the FC. Yeah, go hog wild.

Hey Tomarse, if I continue at my current pace I'll have finished with your compactor by Christmas :v: is that okay?

I don't know if you've ever looked into recovery of a 3.4tonne permanent 4WD vehicle that is also taller, wider and weirder than most of the other stuff you see on the road - but its hard. I have breakdown cover with my insurance on it and they claim that they will cover it, but i suspect it will end up in a long wait for a flatbed.. I'd like to be able to fix/bodge it myself!

Yeah, thats fine! Its not the kind of thing I need very often!
If I end up being very efficient and doing my front yard I might want to get it back from you in late August/September for a bit - but then you can have it back again later!

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Rhyno posted:

The house with the huge yard is a better bang for the buck. I could build a massive workshop in the backyard.

set your sights higher...

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

spog posted:

Worth getting on bluray, or is it only good in cinemas?

(I hate the cinema )

I also hate the cinema... except for late night midweek showings a few weeks after the release where you only have to share the room with a couple of other people (or get it to yourself) and you can just take in your own drinks and snacks and put your feet up.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

InitialDave posted:

It's Ford Imperial Blue, it's been a mainstay colour for sporty Fords here since the 90s.

Ehhh... Yeah, I've nailed a few head gaskets back together in my time, and there's nothing complicated here (it's a chain-drive SOHC 8V, the 1.6 Rocam engine they use in South America a lot), it's partly that I really would rather work on something else in the fleet, and partly that the value of these is remarkably low - I'm honestly not sure if the cost of a head gasket kit (about £65 with bolts) and getting it a fresh MOT (£40) to make it a going concern again is worth the time involved in terms of payback, compared to just shunting it on.

I've just looked at the completed/sold listing 2003 SportKa's on ebay and most of them seem to have blown headgaskets and have gone for £120-£150, whereas the very small sample of working ones with leather seats seem to go for £300-£500.

That is indeed a very tight profit margin there!

Sell it as is and use the space for something you want more.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

cursedshitbox posted:

I think it's official enough to post. The wife and I are moving to Ukraine. it is not open for debate or renegotiation.
We've rented a 500sq-m warehouse, and are starting the second makerspace(that i'm aware of) in this country.

However.

Buy my tools, truck, bus, and our fabrication poo poo, and david's DR. (my bike is tentatively sold already)

You all should know that incase poo poo goes awry we do have an exit strategy planned. We know what we're getting into.

sweet! :) Can I come visit one day?

Can you find me a UAZ-452?

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

I rent a small garage to store all my car poo poo. Currently it is full. Just been given 7 days notice to clear it so they can knock it down. Bastards :(

cursedshitbox posted:

My Ukranian is worse than my Russian, I just haven't studied it yet.(I don't want to confuse myself doing two languages at once). (I can also hire a tutor when needed)

If you haven't already, then learn your Cyrillic alphabet first. I found that after doing that you can guess your way through loads of stuff.

I spent 3 or 4 months working in Kazakhstan, and really enjoyed it so what you are doing sounds pretty loving awesome to me!

Has your other half transferred his existing job over there? seems to make it easier to get started if he has.
I'm trying to work out possible visa requirements to move myself and my work elsewhere and reading up on it all makes my head hurt. Can't imagine doing it somewhere like Ukraine without help!

Tomarse fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Jul 8, 2017

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

InitialDave posted:

It may be worth asking on Pistonhead's law section if you're entitled to more notice, but I strongly suspect that all they need to do is give notice of one rental period, and however you're actually paying them, that period is technically one week.

How much/what kind of stuff are we talking about? Do you have an alternate place to store it?

Its right behind my house so its not gonna be that hard, just a major pain in the arse since having that garage enables me to keep my workshop clear enough to actually work in! I'm gonna drag it out and hopefully sort it and chuck lots out and dump the rest under my carport -Then fill my shed (and probably some of the house) up to the brim!

They have been talking about knocking them down for the past 5 years - and I have been renting mine with a 'no maintenance' clause (and I have been using another already empty one for free), but we were expecting more notice. Its the local council so they have likely spent 12 months tendering this to get the cheapest shittiest contractor they can find to do it.
If they don't start knocking the fuckers down the day I loose possession (Mon 17th) I'm gonna be pissed off

I've got a fully stripped down saab that I have just resprayed - and guess where all the bits I have stripped off are.... My garage also contains a moped, a cement mixer, 2 saab engines, a range rover LT95 gearbox, my collection of spare wheels and tyres, and then every part saved from 2 broken saab c900's along with all those 'useful' bits of wood/metal that get in the way anywhere else.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

InitialDave posted:

I'd say get up B&Q for some cheap OSB (the 11mm stuff is like a tenner a sheet if you buy at least 5) and make crates for everything, that lets you stack stuff and keeps it pretty weatherproof for a fair while.

I need to do something about my collection of axles on that front.

This is how it looked first thing today:

It doesn't look too bad in the photo but those shelves up the sides are full of car parts the the roof and the back is waist high with wheels/tyres.

I'm going through it and attempting to sort and chuck quite a lot of it (or ebay anything that is worth money). I have so far found 4 starter motors and 7 alternators, and have 3 Saabs worth of suspensions and hubs/calipers.
I also appear to own 8 fuel jerry cans and 3 water ones. This is probably a bit excessive..

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

jamal posted:

Why would I be getting decent results on internet speed tests, but have pages just time out and not load? Did reset the modem/router, cleared browser cache. Could it be the browser or laptop causing this? It's old and borrowed (windows vista, current Firefox), but that doesn't really make sense to me. And it's just stuff like forums and Facebook. I've been watching Netflix and stuff via my phone and Chromecast no problem.

Try a different browser to rule out any plugins. Then check what your DNS is set to, and set it direct to 8.8.8.8 (google public DNS) rather than the router or ISP server it is likely set to at the moment to see if that helps

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

and me. Why cant you just sign up for it?

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

U.K./Euro goons - Does anybody here know anything about or have experience of fiat twin-air engines?

Coming from a 3cyl 1l Toyota a 2cyl 0.9l turbo appeals to me... but should I consider cars with 70k miles already on them or am I looking for trouble with that?

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

InitialDave posted:

No direct experience, but do they actually get the mpg numbers it says on the tin, or is it just fantasy?

If it were me I'd get one of the FIRE based 4 pots, because they've had 30 years practice making them and they're a relatively known quantity to me.

I think the Multijet diesel is reasonable?

KozmoNaut posted:

Driving-wise, it's a nice engine. Good amount of torque for the size and a bit of turbo fun. Surprisingly smooth, too.

Expect to get 2/3rds or less of the promised mileage. To hit the official numbers, you have to really work for it with super eco driving, never ever exceeding 2.5K RPM or anything more than a feather light touch on the fun pedal.

The old 1.2L four-cylinder FIRE engine is much easier to drive economically.

Both are less fun to drive like an idiot, compared to the Toyota 3-cylinder.

Cheers guys. I'd never expect to hit the manufacturers mpg. I've got 65,000 miles logged in my Aygo with 48.16 mpg as the overall average. Toyota state 69mpg combined... I'm not in this for exacting economy figures, just a cheap car that I don't have to fix or spend money on.

I love my Aygo, but I have decided If i'm going to spend 4 hours per day sat in it that I want a car with more comforts in the form of aircon and preferably a sunroof. The Aygo only came with those options from 2015. That is still too new for my preferred car budget (maybe in 2 more years)

The panda however has come with both of those options forever so its easy to find a decently priced one.

The 1.2 just seems really boring and is a slight performance drop from the Aygo. I was hoping the twinair might retain some more of the 'drive like an idiot' factor that the 3cyl has.

I'll go test drive one and see how it feels.

Enourmo posted:

Man I am getting pretty goddamn sick of the world not being built for someone with my frame. Being fat I can deal with, but I'm pretty goddamn sick of, when I'm at school, choosing between:

A) Sticking my feet way the gently caress out in the aisle, when such luxury is available to me
B) Jamming my knee up into the little postage stamp desk on exam days where I need it to write
C) Crossing my feet over each other to where I'm basically sitting indian style while in a chair, which puts all the weight of my legs on the edge of my feet, to where they're starting to hurt while I walk

Please tell me that loving adult jobs have the option of adult-sized furniture where this won't be an issue. I'm having to make a lift for my new office chair because I have the same issue (and my desk, too) at home.

And don't you shortasses come whining about me not being grateful for the ~~blessing~~ of being tall; you can get a stool, I'm stuck with these loving redwood legs for the rest of my life. I have to shove the brake pedal to the floor to get my knee under the steering wheel when I get in the car, and I drive a crown vic.

How tall are you?

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

InitialDave posted:

Panda 100HP seems like a logical one to try.

The MPG on those is poo poo though for a small car. Went away with some mates a few years ago and a couple of us drove and my mates Panda 100hp got pretty much the same MPG as the Saab 9-3 I had at the time!

KozmoNaut posted:

The power is nice, but the suspension is punishingly hard.

This too.

My '08 1.2 fire panda has been completely trouble free and I have to work hard to get the economy below 50. In retrospect I'd have either bought the cheapest one I could find and treated it as disposable, or spent a little more for a 500 but I'm sticking with this until my needs change.

I'm not totally sold on the 500 yet. I'm still not convinced that the looks are worth the price premium over the Panda for the same spec combos and they are definitely not as roomy inside.

I test drove a Panda twinair today and it felt much nippier than my Agyo and was nice to drive so I bought it!

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Over here they have to provide you with suitable chairs for health and safety reasons. If you're sat for any length of time at a desk you can kick off and get things that fit.

Hooray for regulations!

That reminds me, I need to get a free eyetest off work.

They are free in quite a few places already, so just save the effort and go to one of them and then hit up work afterwards if you need to for glasses. Tesco Opticians are definitely free. Some Boot's seem to be, and the vision express in my local shithole town also was last time I went there.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

I bought a 2013 Panda Twinair. It is great and I have done 300 miles so far with the sunroof open :)

However, I fear that the likelihood of me getting another speeding ticket has increased as after 3 years of Aygo driving I now instinctively just put my foot flat to the floor to pull off. What was 0-30 in the Aygo is now 0-50 in the Panda!

I'm down for this!

I shall be driving up the A14 and almost past there on my way home on Friday, I will probably detour!

spog posted:

Is that a 'I had sex' post?

Someone had sex with Mrs Tusen Takk....

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

InitialDave posted:

Sorry guys, got a workmate's leaving do on Friday.

Also... Aren't all you lot over Staffordshire way?

Im working away in Essex all this week and that place is apparently about a 10 min detour from my normal route homewards on a Friday!
If you guys are stuck for anything to do tomorrow night I'm happy to pop up and meet you guys for a beer sometime between 6 and 7! (Or any weeknight for the next 2 weeks!)

There appears to be a pub in the centre of the village just next to the historic warboys baptismal pond...

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

I saw a wierd little Daihatsu on the road yesterday. Couldn't work out what its badge said.

Then I realised that there was a new MCM out so I watched that thisafternoon and found myself conveniently educated about Daihatsu's - including the information that it was a Copen that I saw.

Today I have also been educated about Fiat wiring. They don't run an ignition switched ACC feed to the standard looking ISO plugs behind the head unit, only a permanent live. Then they sneak 2 CAN cables into the ISO connector inplace of some of the less useful wires and the Fiat head unit switches on and off with the ignition using those. So if you want to fit a different head unit you have to dig out an ACC feed from somewhere else to make it turn on and off properly.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

meltie posted:

Ah, standards.

Who needs standards :(

Going by ISO10487 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Connectors_for_car_audio)

Connector B is as per standard
Connector A has CAN-H on pin 1 (speed sensor according to the spec) and CAN-L on Pin 3 (the optional connector) and Pin 4 is empty rather than having ACC +12V.

I guess this doesn't mess anything up dangerously and almost makes sense since the speed signal comes off the CAN bus anyway. They are just being clever bastards using the CAN rather than a standard ACC feed.

stump posted:

I think I had a similar issue with my Vivaro - is the cigarette lighter a switched live you can pull from?
I just popped my face plate off when I parked up because I'm lazy.

I'm about to pull the dash apart and play with my multi-meter! The cig lighter is quite far away. I think the dash lights are on all the time so I might just use them and a relay.

I am also lazy which also means that the chances of me accidentally leaving the radio on and flattening the battery are quite high.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Copens are cool as gently caress, a massive hard folding roof on a kei car? Immense. I found one for sale in decent nick for about £1200 and I regret not buying it. I'd look so cool in one.

You should buy one! :3:

Don't get a silver first gen one though as the one I saw looked poo poo compared to all the other colours and the later gen model that I have looked at on google/Wikipedia today.

Tiny cars should also have less than 4 cylinders

Tomarse fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jul 22, 2017

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

InitialDave posted:

Wanhao Duplicator i3 Plus. Seemed like a good starter option.

I was about to buy a new one, then saw a guy selling one with a couple of upgrades for £100 less, so bought that. Figured £100 should cover any fixes, though in theory it's all working and good to go. We shall see.

I've got a wanhao i3 too, so give me a shout if you need help or want advice.
Definitely a Solid machine for the price and you can get great prints off it once you have it dialled in.
has a few flaws though. As soon as you get it home you should open the case up and check the condition of the connector for the heated bed before you think about leaving it printing unattended. Mine melted the lovely connector and part of the board so I have it wired through a relay now (after fixing the board) and I have a RAMPS board waiting for me to fit it instead.

When you start off playing - getting the bed position right is key, and then get PLA printing down before you start even thinking about ABS. And if you want to use it in a room at standard UK varied ambient temp then you will want to make an enclosure for it.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

InitialDave posted:

Actually bought it 2 months ago, but haven't posted about it because I simply haven't been able to do a whole lot with it. I'm hoping I'll have some time in the near future to actually have a crack at working on it.

The important thing is it is a genuine UK car, one of the 80 they officially imported 20 years ago, and it has an apparently genuine 35k on it. It's the rarest thing I'm likely to get hold of any time soon, so I kind of had to buy it when it cropped up.

I assume that despite the low mileage it is actually broken in some way, hence the many years parked up?

Is it a 3 cyl? Tiny engines with turbos are awesome. :toot:

Tomarse posted:

Today I have also been educated about Fiat wiring. They don't run an ignition switched ACC feed to the standard looking ISO plugs behind the head unit, only a permanent live. Then they sneak 2 CAN cables into the ISO connector inplace of some of the less useful wires and the Fiat head unit switches on and off with the ignition using those. So if you want to fit a different head unit you have to dig out an ACC feed from somewhere else to make it turn on and off properly.

drat it. I ran an ACC from the fag lighter and the stereo works perfectly..... until stop/start kicks in and the ACC drops briefly every time it restarts.

I've got one of those large capacitors that are supposed to stop interference somewhere. Gonna try adding that in there and hopefully it can keep the ACC feed up for long enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

As a fan of destruction derby back in the 90s I thought wreckfest was a pretty fun car game - but I haven't played it for 6 months now so I don't know if they have fixed any of the annoying bugs.

my new car has a trip hour counter in addition to a trip mileage counter. Why don't all cars have hour counters?

Over the last 13 days I have spent 23.5 hours driving :(

• Locked thread