Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

Previa_fun posted:

Holy poo poo folks are buying houses six times their annual income?

It's cool making 175% of the median household income and having any decent decent homes cost 4-5x that amount. Since my wife and I don't want to be financially obliterated by a minor emergency we're just going to keep watching the Sheriff's auctions for a seized meth lab and/or murderhouse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy

BigPaddy posted:

I am looking at places that are about 2x my income because I feel over exposed if it is too much more than that.

I hear you. I would either get 600sqft or live 30 minutes out of town in the back of someone's farm.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy

Darchangel posted:

They're fine if you don't eat them by the handful.

Then what's the point?

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy

Ether Frenzy posted:

...Trumpcrash...

I'm waiting for it. By my scientific calculations, gleaned by listening to commercials on the radio, 72% of which are for easy mortgage refi, credit consolidation and we'll-finance-anyone auto lots, it has to be close.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy

Seminal Flu posted:

Gotcha. In that case, what about keeping your free housing position, then rent a section of a garage or pole barn somewhere to do car stuff? Should be way cheaper than a mortgage and still let you pocket some good, long-term gravy.

Seriously, if my rent was that far below market I would be subletting a shop bay or corner of a warehouse.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy
Good luck. I always had a lovely time firing customers because they were unreasonable, entitled and volatile/rude as hell. If they were understanding or occupied the same reality as I did I wouldn't have had to fire them. ¯\_ツ)_/¯

It does feel good when it's finally over and I knew my employees appreciated it.

I like look of that, especially the c-pillars windows.
Does the front license plate flip down to expose the IC?

monsterzero fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jul 6, 2017

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy

Geoj posted:

Cats are assholes. Came home to find one of ours hurled on my Logitech G810 mechanical keyboard. Cleaned up the surface only to find a bunch of water had separated from the vomit and infiltrated the circuit board.

Tore it down, rinsed the guts with isopropyl and now it's baking at 150 degrees (F) for an hour. If I'm lucky short protection kicked in and saved it. If not I'm out $110 :homebrew:

I'm so glad our cat doesn't destroy things, almost makes me forgive her for crying at the door while I'm trying to take a nap.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy

nm posted:

JFC

edit: House chat

Who wants to loan me $1.25 million?

It has a lift!

Oh cool. My brother lives on 10th ave. East of 99.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy

Indeed.

IOC, is there 'one simple trick' to making QoS watchable?

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy

IOwnCalculus posted:

Get a free ticket to a showing a vendor is putting on?

I don't think I've rewatched it since, but it was good enough at the time. Spectre was actively pissing me off with Craig putting in the lowest-effort "action scene" possible at the end. It was like watching someone play Counterstrike, but worse.

Funny you mentioned that. I tried to watch it my iPad after a dozen or so vendor provided lagers. The quick cuts/editing was not doing it for me so I gave up and haven't tried rewatching it.

And can you blame Craig for being tired by the end? Bond movies all go on about 20% longer than they need to. No, damnit, you do not need three false endings.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy

Fo3 posted:

Conversation that happened today with my 4y/o (his words in italics):
"can you fix my subaru, the engine is broken and out on the lawn"

Lately, I've been walking up to strangers wild-eyed and asking the same question.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy
I should really upgrade and spend more than :10bux: on paraphernalia. My bong only works because of a liberal application of electrical tape.

But I pulled my first engine today! Only hosed up two studs that got hung up the bell housing.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy

LloydDobler posted:

Not sure if you know but some of the states with legal weed have made it fully legal, no prescription required. This is why I spent 11 months unemployed last year, over half a million assholes have moved here (Colorado) in the last few years, a lot did it for the weed and a lot of them were mechanical engineers. I've never tried weed in my life.

I blame it on Silicon Valley overflow. Companies and techies are moving to places where the cost of living is more reasonable. First Seattle and Portland, now Denver and Reno (and podunks like mine). I def think you're right and the legal weed would put Denver ahead of SLC on a lot of 21-30y/o techbros lists.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy

QuarkMartial posted:

Don't take this the wrong way, because I am legitimately asking and not being snarky or anything like that. I have not heard of this before, but are you saying that there are laws (under the guise of anti-terrorism) that state business profits have to be kept in banks?

On the other hand, I've heard that the (maybe some of the) banks won't take money from dispensaries because it's made illegally on a federal level.

It's a lot of the latter, with banks not wanting to handle money that might be of unsettled legality/bad PR (the adult industry has similar issues) but there are totally controls on having/moving large amounts of cash*. I'm sure it wouldn't take too much for a motivated prosecutor to convince a grand jury that maybe Kind Mountain Green Medicine Co is maybe violating some sort of statute. And I'm sure if there was pressure on the IRS, it could get very uncomfortable for high-revenue unbanked businesses.

*It's been a while so I don't recall specifics, in no small part because I never handle anything other than tiny sums of cash. :(

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy
I think one of my Subaru's heads is warped. I don't have a very good straight edge, but it seems like theres a high spot between two of the cylinders. I'm planning on taking everything into the machine shop tomorrow. I'll ask them to check that head for true, and if it's warped stop (and I'll over an overnight JDM engine.) Kind of a bummer because (afaik) despite the head gasket failing we never overheated the engine.
I kind of suspect that maybe that engine overheated a couple years ago with the PO because there was a slight external coolant leak on this head. We might have just been lucky and got 38k out of a marginal HG.

Edit:

Darchangel posted:

Also holy poo poo that kitchen storage.

Those cabinet hinges though. Who designed that kitchen, the man in the iron mask?

Seriously though, that's rad as gently caress. I wish I could find/afford something half as awesome here. :ca:

monsterzero fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jul 17, 2017

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy
Your cat needs a manicure. It might disembowel you if it starts makin' biscuits.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy
You should commend her for keeping her racism old-school.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy

Adiabatic posted:

It won't matter at the heat death of the universe sure. Definitely matters in the present moment. Why is the moment of heat death more important than now?

The heat death can't come fast enough, so I'm praying for the technological singularity and AI going all Agent Smith on us.

Adiabatic posted:

As I get older I find I have less and less time for poo poo I don't care about in the slightest. Maybe that makes me uncultured or an rear end in a top hat but it definitely makes me happier.

Same. When I was an angry young man I raged at things that were never meant for me anyway. Now I don't care and I'm a lot happier and only occasionally performativly hate things for lulz.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy

Cage posted:

I know there are some super easy jokes to be made, but the singer from Linkin Park hanged himself today. I didn't listen to them much anymore but Ill have a special place in my heart for their first album being I was 16 when it came out.

I feel ya. I wish all of the angsty musicians we listened to as teens could grow up to be happy, boring old dads like T Reznor.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

ED Tech position...

So you'll be fixing boners?

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy

cakesmith handyman posted:

Shower beer, then forget about the hassle because it's in the past.

And embrace the rage. I feel like sometimes tedious bullshit jobs like that go faster when I'm powered by hate.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy
-dictated but not read (while doing whippets)

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy

Geoj posted:

The swimming kid from Stanford raped an unconscious girl and went to jail for three months on three felony charges. You'd be surprised what being white and wealthy does for you in court.

Kids will be kids. I mean, who hasn't tripped balls at the aquarium.

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Don't do internet darknet drugs kids, even if you snuck a few huffs of nitrous in dental school and thought it was fun.

Or at least keep that poo poo to weekday mornings.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy
I'm going to tow my boat up to the lake (110 miles away and 5000ft up) this weekend. This will be the first big ask of my beater truck. I will definitely be the person you share the road with but hopefully not be generating horrible mechanical content.

angryrobots posted:

I had the same reaction as the pink haired lady

Oh, snap!

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Just because the big boobied derby girl turned u down doesn't mean u need to be bitter about it ok?

I shitpost on Derby forums about how lame car guys are.

PS stay safe ankle goon

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy
I think I killed a 4l60e this weekend. :rip: Towing my boat to the lake there was very steep grade from 4000' to 5500' that gave me some trouble. It was likely in limp home mode and I didn't pick up on it because my CEL is permalit so I probably fried the clutches, and then let out the magic smoke out while I was retrieving the boat. Got up the ramp finally which was good because it was a single, and died at the exit to the park. Trans temp shot up to 295 and all gears (including neutral) go mostly forward. Still it was a great camping/sailing trip (and in AAA free tow range) so I ain't even mad.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy
I installed a Hayden 678 cooler this week. Don't know if that was a factor/insufficient/I hosed up the install or what yet. The later is definitely possible. I IR gunned the cooler at like 180 when the truck was idling with 245-degrees on the trans temp and not dropping so maybe the flow wasn't sufficient or it was blocked.

Truck has 250k on it and I have no idea of the transmission's history. Had a harsh 1-2 before so it was already questionable.
I've never rebuilt a transmission, and I'm neck deep in a head gasket job on my wife's car so I'm a little hesitant to dive in. I'll probably be looking at getting a low-mile or rebuilt transmission. Maybe even paying someone to do it unless there's one-weird-truck and a transmission is easy to r/r in a 2wd Silverado.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy

violentlycitrus posted:

oh hello i just so happen to be about to try some fuckery on my high mileage 4l60e in a 98 k1500 and i will probably take some pictures and such

Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter thread.

Larrymer posted:

RIP. I have a trans cooler for mine that I've yet to install. I should probably get on that (and the fluid swap) even though I don't tow.

Filter and flush was going to be my next project. I don't think it would have saved me so the silver lining is that I didn't waste a million qts of ATF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy

cakesmith handyman posted:

I am camping. Dumb ugly car, silly pointy tent, cheap-assed millionth-owner 4'x2'6" cargo trailer skinned with duct tape, just had a coffee and a sausage sandwich and I could barely be happier.

That was my weekend. We like to wrap little brown-n-serve pork sausage with crescent roll dough and then roast-bake over the fire. So good!

• Locked thread