Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Stopped at Meijer to get some stuff and when I got to the detergent there was a very trashy couple using one jug to fill two others to the very brim. So that was fun and awkward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

rdb posted:

Did you snitch or just roll your eyes and walk away? I probably would have done the latter.

I picked up my jug of Tide and walked off.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
GO SAVE THE KITTEH

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Netflix will survive. They're older than Google.

Of course they will, it just won't be the same as it was.

And it's not their fault, content owners now want far more to licence for streaming and Netflix would rather spend the scratch on their own content. It's why there's no so many goddamned terrible streaming services popping up.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We're keeping Netflix until Defenders drops and then we're dipping out for a while. There's pretty much nothing on there I can't live without.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Made the mistake of looking at homes for sale in the city limits. Found pretty much the perfect house for us with one flaw and now it's haunting me.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Okay, I need some help calling bullshit.

I went to a Mazda meet the other night and there was this dude with a MP3 Protege. And it was turboed. And he claimed he had "chassis swapped it for AWD" and it really looked like there was a rear diff under there. What the hell did I see? And no, I got no good pics of it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Possible, depending on year model. There's often an AWD option that is JDM only that he could have imported the parts for. If you are thinking about the 98-2001one then yes, there was indeed a AWD option

Well neat! It looked like a Mazdaspeed Protege but he claimed to have built it himself. The MSP was on the BJ chassis right?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

This is intriguing as hell. I wish I was mechanically skilled enough to build something like this! Hopefully I run into him again so I can grill him about the car.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

My neighbours basement is flooding and their sump pump is consequently flooding our yards. They appear to be gone for the long weekend and I can hear the water at the source running but there isn't a valve I can turn off. I tried calling the non emergency phone line but they told me they can't have officers break in to verify that there is a catastrophic leakage on the property and I don't have their phone number and none of their neighbours are home

What do I do

Break a window.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Ferremit posted:

Can you stop being so sickeningly cutesy on facebook Rhyno!

You mean the engagement photos?

Strap in buddy, it ain't over yet.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I think all the mains are inside the basement so unless I get the DPW involved... in the morning :rip:

Just go hit their meter with a hammer a lot.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Well poo poo, no more Rhyno is a jerk....?

I haven't been angry in 4 months.

DJ Commie posted:

I've been a Club Protege member for more than a decade and I still can't stand the place. At least now its the diehards, before it was garbage tacked onto slow cars. Now it is bespoke garbage on fragile slow cars.

I'm a registered member there but I have never posted. Haven't owned an EGT in a decade so no real point.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I LOST THE KEYS TO THE PT

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

You are just not having a great week are you?

Although, at least this way it can't break your back again.

I don't think the lump in my back and the missing keys are related.

UNLESS THE LUMP IS THE KEYS

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

... and the bad news is?

Can't sell it without keys!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

freelop posted:

RAN WHEN PARKED BUT WILL NEED TRAILER TO REMOVE

DOOR KEY MISSING, ROCK SUPPLIED FREE OF CHARGE

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

One thing motorcycles has taught me: you can never have enough 10mm anything.

Also, If you can find a 3/8" drive 10mm socket. Buy it. My Snap-on set has done things I'd never ask of my Craftsman again.

I horde 10mms like their extinct. I have probably 25 or more in various depth and drive.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
FOUND THE PT KEYS

they were hanging on the key hold where they were supposed to be.

Also I want to cancel our wedding, elope and buy this house
http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/609-W-Oakdale-Dr_Fort-Wayne_IN_46807_M40240-64895#photo20

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Jesus Christ. That's like a $300-400k house here.

And DFW is supposed to be cheap!

Wanna feel sick? Look at this one
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6611-Winchester-Rd-Fort-Wayne-IN-46819/73191469_zpid/

Look at that loving yard man. I could have like 6 dogs.

Edit: this one is what we're looking for except for location, it's a bit farther out than we want to be from the city.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Jul 4, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Say what you will about Indiana, if you want land and space you can't beat this place.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Rhyno what happened to moving to the Carolinas

They want to promote her here. SC isn't off the table but it's less likely now.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The house with the huge yard is a better bang for the buck. I could park so many cars in the backyard.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Tomarse posted:

set your sights higher...

That house is under a HOA. They're all the same in the city limits, there'd be no shop or any out buildings allowed.

Powershift posted:

It's probably boring as poo poo culture wise but you're 3 hours away from Indy, Road America, Mid-ohio. A tank of gas away from VIR, Road atlanta, Barber. Probably a bunch of nascar junk, too.

We're 2.5 hours from Chicago or Detroit, 2 from Indy, 3 from Cleveland. There's plenty to do and Fort Wayne was just named the most affordable place to live in the nation.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Previa_fun posted:

Northwest Arkansas is similar. Think what you will about WalMart, but they have been a huge pillar of the economy here for the past several decades. Home prices in the major cities are rising like crazy and houses are going under contract sometimes within hours of being listed. The wife and I bought a house in a small town 8 miles south of the NWA metro area because it's so much cheaper down here and our commute to work is still only 20 minutes.

I'd love to be nearer cool stuff but...eh. Gas is cheap (for now) and our house was 110k soo V:shobon:V

The housing market here is booming but prices are stable. You can get a lot of house for under $150K if you have the time to watch the market.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Houses here range from free to $70k in the "up and coming" neighbourhoods to $500k in the nice neighbourhoods

I got an older(1978) house in an older sub in the city with the best schools for $200k, put some work into it and now it's worth around $269k.

I don't plan on leaving any time soon since everything is in walking distance or five minutes via car

Fort Wayne and surrounding towns are experiencing a massive boom. There's a shitload of jobs all of a sudden (too bad nobody wants to work) and not enough "nice" houses to go around. The $150K one I posted is the same age as yours and needs practically nothing but since it's in a dead area of the city (no more land for development) it has a reasonable price. There's a house of roughly the same size and age about 2 miles from our complex and it's $275K.

Edit: This is another house that's pretty close to what we'd want. It's a bit dated and doesn't have the lot size the other one has but holy hell that basement is rad.
https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sa...097_rect/10_zm/

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jul 5, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So, developing story in the local auto scene. Dude just got his car repossessed by the bank. He claims to have arrived home to find the notice in his mailbox informing him he was six months behind on his payments and had legally forfeited the car.

Which was all news to him as he owned the car outright and didn't have an outstanding loan on it. He doesn't even do business with the bank that's on the paperwork so he is a bit puzzled as to why they would repo his POS daily driver.

Edit: Ahhhh it was a 2006 V6 Charger, former police car. He believes they were after his neighbor with the 2016 Charger.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jul 6, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Some dude on GRM got a hell of a deal on a last generation 9-5 from a dealership, then found out the dealership never paid the auction they got it from. Auction repos the car right out from in front of his house, shitstorm ensues.

I did some googling and it looks like it's incredibly common.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Sounds like a steak dinner!

Edit:

GUYS THIS HOUSE HAS A REAR GARAGE DOOR FOR BACKYARD ACCESS

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3717-Hazelhurst-Dr-Fort-Wayne-IN-46804/73102143_zpid/

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jul 6, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

nm posted:

That house looks like it has had several separate add-ons. Some of which were poorly done (that lovely bay window is a give away). This means that you'll have fun in the crappy construction thread!

Why would I care about the window when it has a second garage door?

Not that it matters, we're not gonna buy a house til after the wedding. But hey, my fiance's probably getting offered the in town promotion on monday! So we can start sacking away $500 a month towards the house down payment!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Seminal Flu posted:

Would her promotion still let you keep the rent-free apartment? I'd ride that poo poo into the ground, putting away all the rent/mortgage money you would be paying into a fund to eventually just pay cash for a house. Mortgage-free house would be primo.

I've kind of muddied the details but basically she was the community manager here. That came with a free apartment. Then her father got cancer and she needed to be there for him so she stepped down to the leasing agent position. This meant our rent was $800 a month but that's fine, it's roughly what we paid for a place half this size and here we get a garage and driveway.
The promotion will put her in charge of the community on the other side of town but drops our rent back to sub $100 a month. So yeah, we could stay here forever if we wanted. But the community rules have been tightened quite a bit. I'm now not allowed to work on cars with the garage door open and they don't even want people washing their cars in their driveways. There's a few other things that are starting to be annoying so I'm all for getting gone. We have no timetable on house buying but since we're probably gonna stay here we both are leaning in that direction.

Realistically, starting April 1st I am pretty much debt free and could sack away $500 a month towards a house.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Darchangel posted:

I love how certain people seem to feel that the details and necessities of getting poo poo done are somehow vulgar and need to be hidden away from polite company. I guess working on and washing your own car are for plebeians, whom they definitely don't want living in their apartments. I bet they don't know how sausage is made, either.

AT my mother's HOA they tried to vote in a set of rules that were very similar to my apartment community rules. One of them was no parking in your own driveway! If you didn't park in your garage you got fined! Thankfully that was almost unanimously voted down. It was an elderly dude who just hates all his neighbors.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Garage2Roadtrip posted:

Yeah, homeowner's associations have gotten out of hand. We're buying a beach house near Folly Beach in SC and while looking around we've seen mild to wild on covenants and restrictions (and dues!). Some of my favorites were 'no vehicles taller than 75" in an open driveway', 'no motorcycles', 'no furniture on front porch', etc... Then the dues, holy poo poo - there was one that was like $600/mo and it was basically a glorified zero-lot-line that you had to maintain the exterior on.

I despise the very concept of HOA's as they exist today. Just awful little people trying to control other's lives. The best house I've posted (the one with the enormous yard and basement) existed for years and got annexed into a neighborhood that was built right across the street from it. If we were in buying position today we'd avoid it just because of the HOA.

Seminal Flu posted:

Gotcha. In that case, what about keeping your free housing position, then rent a section of a garage or pole barn somewhere to do car stuff? Should be way cheaper than a mortgage and still let you pocket some good, long-term gravy.

Comedy option, since you're in Fort Wayne, would be to buy this place:
http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/5501-W-Hamilton-Rd-S_Fort-Wayne_IN_46814_M42479-19209

My father's garage is where I plan to do most projects for now. Only problem is it's 40 minutes away so quick jobs won't be so quick anymore. There's another bonkers property about half an hour southwest, large house, 3 acres, two heated and cooled out buildings! But it needs so many updates it's probably a money pit.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

monsterzero posted:

Seriously, if my rent was that far below market I would be subletting a shop bay or corner of a warehouse.

I just don't trust anyone enough to rent a communal space.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I really want to have a HOLY DIVER themed wedding.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Car game?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3825994

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

RIGHTEOUS

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
PT is probably sold!

And I might have already replaced it in the fleet.

whoops

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

everdave posted:

Late night drunk talk you should live in a free or almost free apartment as long as you can (as I hypocritically post from my paid off house that is worth 50% more than I paid for it) but still accumulate wealth. Invest.

We're playing it by ear for now. And since I have free parking at mom's and dad's I figure I can do whatever I want car wise. I still want an Evo but realistically that's 1/4 the cost of a house. I can get a house and THEN get an EVo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
CSB I may have missed the post but uh, what exactly prompted this move?

• Locked thread