Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

opengl128 posted:

Baby Driver was frigging awesome. Go see it, ya'll.

One step ahead of you 😎 it good, go see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Tomarse posted:

I'm trying to build up a comprehensive toolbox that I can keep in the back of my Landrover or chuck in the car for long roadtrips.

Its a landrover so the list of possible repairs that I want to be able to deal with is quite big and some stuff is fairly heavy duty!

Has anybody else done this and been organised enough to have made a list of what you put into it?

This is what I've got so far:

Got that massive socket/bent bit of Britpart pipe used for breaking off the nut on the end of the axle for replacing bearings/adjusting preload?

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Tomarse posted:

I don't know if you've ever looked into recovery of a 3.4tonne permanent 4WD vehicle that is also taller, wider and weirder than most of the other stuff you see on the road - but its hard. I have breakdown cover with my insurance on it and they claim that they will cover it, but i suspect it will end up in a long wait for a flatbed.. I'd like to be able to fix/bodge it myself!

That was the case with my 2a Lightweight; nearly every time it was:

small van turns up, fiddles, can't fix, refuses to tow 4WD anywhere on a dolly, drives off

three hours later, flatbed turns up and takes me home

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

freelop posted:

Something to lighten the mood:
The location of the next AI meet

Doable.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Tomarse posted:

I'm down for this!

I shall be driving up the A14 and almost past there on my way home on Friday, I will probably detour!

What time?

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

InitialDave posted:

Sorry guys, got a workmate's leaving do on Friday.

Also... Aren't all you lot over Staffordshire way?

Looks like it's Tomarse and me trying to get a crap beer out of the local shop.

(I'm free Weds too though – and I'm in the Cotswolds.)

meltie fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jul 17, 2017

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Tomarse posted:

Today I have also been educated about Fiat wiring. They don't run an ignition switched ACC feed to the standard looking ISO plugs behind the head unit, only a permanent live. Then they sneak 2 CAN cables into the ISO connector inplace of some of the less useful wires and the Fiat head unit switches on and off with the ignition using those. So if you want to fit a different head unit you have to dig out an ACC feed from somewhere else to make it turn on and off properly.

Ah, standards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.
I hate my bank.

The Internet Banking app is asking a security question I don't remember.

To reset it I have to phone in. When I call them they ask more questions — that I can't answer without access to the account.

"on the 11th of July you made a transaction, can you tell us who it was to?"
"can you tell us the date you opened the account?"

I've had this account for about 22 years. Like, how the gently caress am I supposed to know?

"i'm sorry, we can't authenticate you"

I swear i'm having a massive sense of humor failure tonight. Bloody loving Kafka.

meltie fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jul 27, 2017

• Locked thread