Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

The Locator posted:

Indeed. I live alone, and on non-telecommute days I leave the house about 7:30 and don't get home until about 7, sometimes later. I just don't think it would be very cool to get a doggy and leave him/her alone 12 hours straight every day I go to work.

Same thing that stops me. I'd love to have a dog, but being stuck in an apartment 14 hours at a stretch four days a week isn't an environment for a pup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Some wastes of genetic material were shooting them off in the bean field outside my apartment last night about that time.

Didn't bother me, since I'm up those hours anyway, but I'm surprised none of my neighbors decided to shoot back.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Houses here range from free to $70k in the "up and coming" neighbourhoods to $500k in the nice neighbourhoods

I got an older(1978) house in an older sub in the city with the best schools for $200k, put some work into it and now it's worth around $269k.

I don't plan on leaving any time soon since everything is in walking distance or five minutes via car

1978 is 'older' there? Jesus, a good bit of the housing stock out here was built in the 1910's.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Guess Des Moines got lucky, it was easier to buy up a mile or so of farmland off the west side to stick all the McMansions in rather than tear down the surviving hundred year old houses on small city lots and redevelop them.

Of course, 10 years later those McMansions are aging like poo poo while the older houses generally seem to get an internal remodel and rewire then go back on the market.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

The Locator posted:

poo poo like this is why, if you have to live in an HOA community (and sometimes it can be very difficult to avoid in some areas), then you should take the few hours per month needed to be actively involved in the HOA or even get on the board, so that the HOA doesn't turn into a group of old grouchy retired people who love to have power over everyone's lives.

If the majority of a community is middle-aged working class, then the board should represent that, and not be the 7 old retired guys out of a community of 500 homes.

Sadly, 95% of people are too apathetic and lazy to bother.

Or too busy. Once those 7 retired guys get on the board, they tend to do stuff like move the meetings to 2pm Thursdays and start trying to change the rules for electing the board.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

cursedshitbox posted:

I think it's official enough to post. The wife and I are moving to Ukraine. it is not open for debate or renegotiation.
We've rented a 500sq-m warehouse, and are starting the second makerspace(that i'm aware of) in this country.

However.

Buy my tools, truck, bus, and our fabrication poo poo, and david's DR. (my bike is tentatively sold already)

You all should know that incase poo poo goes awry we do have an exit strategy planned. We know what we're getting into.

Good luck, don't get yourself loving murdered. :)

Bad time to be openly gay in that part of the world.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jul 7, 2017

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

So you got tired of Bay area crazies and decided to go full eastern bloc because that somehow seemed more reasonable?

Your life man, hope it works out well.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I could see it as an inevitable result of nursing homes being nightmarish charnel houses, too.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

Ah yes, DARE, another ineffective waste of money.

My DARE officer back in high school:

"James Trimble, the fired Urbandale police officer who stole $20,000 worth of methamphetamine from his department, was spared prison Thursday for his felony drug conviction. Judge Leo Oxberger sentenced Trimble to two years' probation, a $1,000 fine and 100 hours of community service.
'I'm convinced this is a one-time incident for you,' the judge said. The sentence angered prosecutors, who along with presentence investigators recommended up to 10 years in prison for the crime."

"About 4 a.m. on New Year's Day, Trimble was arrested driving his mother's van in an inner-city Des Moines neighborhood.

Police say they found about 7 ounces - $20,000 worth - of methamphetamine, in addition to marijuana, LSD and cocaine." ...

"Authorities said numerous sexually explicit videotapes and pictures were found in the van, including photos of Trimble. He had a battery-operated sexual device inserted in his body when arrested, police said." ...

"The 18-year veteran headed Urbandale's Drug Abuse Resistance Education program and acted as liaison officer between police and the suburb's schools." He had also coached ninth-grade girls' basketball and volleyball. "We don't just teach kids what drugs look like," Trimble said in a 1992 interview. "We teach life skills needed to say no to drugs, alcohol and tobacco." ...

"Trimble, 44, is required to spend his community-service time giving anti-drug speeches to students. He conducted such talks as a police officer in Urbandale schools."

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

rdb posted:

Now your username makes sense and yeah I feel you on the height thing.

E: plane seats on regional jets suck. Work does get easier otherwise, just be sure to get up from your desk on occasion to stretch. That kinda applies to everyone.

gently caress regional jets. I can barely loving walk after a short trip in them.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Applebees Appetizer posted:

What makes you say that? Besides it won't stop people from smoking it even if it did happen.

Our current AG has a hateboner six miles high for drug offenses, and loves mandatory minimums in sentencing. One of his first policy memos was to instruct federal prosecutors to pursue charges that carry a mandatory minimum sentence preferentially. As a Congressman he worked to oppose sentencing reform for non-violent drug crimes for just that reason.

All it takes to make the state laws not matter when pot's still illegal federally is the DOJ putting enough pressure on, say by refusing to distribute funds to state and local police agencies unless they agree to turn over info to the feds so that they can try and prosecute legal pot sellers on such things as violating anti-terrorism banking laws by not keeping their profits in banks where the feds can seize them.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jul 14, 2017

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Seminal Flu posted:

Yup.

The descent is eerily similar to my cousin, who I just watched die over the past 2 years from brain cancer. Just a steady-state decline that nobody else can do anything about, with everyone knowing it's a one-way road. poo poo, he's even thinning out like she did.

Except his death is entirely preventable, and a whole and fulfilling life is entirely possible. But it's not up to us. :(

Short of locking him up in a residential rehab facility, or the inevitable jail trip that's coming, there's nothing you can do. It blows.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

My laptop is under a DDOS from four cats

If only you could somehow catch them before they reached the laptop, maybe with a device. :v:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Summer can bite my hairy rear end.

AC went out in the Vic on Friday night. Spent most of Saturday sweating through 101 degrees and 80% humidity to trace and troubleshoot, ended up being a blower fan and resistor.

Fun times.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Darchangel posted:

I'd forgotten that there was a Kingsman sequel coming. Thank you.
I'm excited about ready Player One - I've been meaning to read the book for some time. I'm also cautiously hopeful for the new Wrinkle In time movie. The last one... deviated significantly from the source. It's a testament to how much nerd people like the book that they're tackling it again this soon.

God, don't read it. I have read worse books, but I'd be hard pressed to determine when. The whole thing is just a nostalgia wankfest of 80's pop culture in a terrible, pandering way.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

US goons:

If you had a choice between Capital One and Wells Fargo for a checking account, which would you choose, and why?

Don't want to go into the why's of why I'm choosing between the two and not using a CU.

Both have branches nearby (across the street from each other). I've previously banked with WF and didn't have any complaints, but both of my credit cards are already with Cap One.

Cap One.

Well Fargo is a neverending source of financial dickery.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Sinestro posted:

This is one of the few things Trump's done I'm not finding the ability to get angry about. I'm cool with not being able to be drafted to die in our next pointless quagmire in the Middle East or elsewhere.

Yeah, less cool with the implication that any and all of the active military members who are transgender have relaxed their caution in the last year might end up with a dishonorable discharge that'll ruin their lives for the near future because our President is a orange manchild.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Jul 27, 2017

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

:cry: I joined the largest, meanest, most unified military group in history and they're mean, terrible, nasty people who don't understand my individual personal identity :cry:

The hottest of takes.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Adiabatic posted:

And on the left you have radical requirements of the right to completely change their behaviors immediately to the left's views, with calls to fascism and racism if they don't fall in line. I personally mostly agree with the left's rhetoric but their delivery is divisive.

e: I should definitely point out that I was doing it too before this election, but a significant portion of the population thinks differently than I do and I know they aren't all racist bigoted morons so I have since been making a genuine effort to understand.

It's hard not to call to racism when one of the major GOP planks is that they should be allowed to be openly racist against anyone browner than them, be they latino, middle eastern, or African american. Not to mention the calls to persecute Muslims and lgbt people and remove their civil rights.

The truth is in the middle is bullshit when the right is nodding approvingly at literal fascism.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Sinestro posted:

Congratulations for reading someone else's post I guess? I'm not exactly a Trump supporter.

I'm talking more about the 'Jill Stein 2020' types and the Chapo fans from the perspective of a merely center-left Democrat. It's really worrying, especially as someone who is basically not given any options in the current atmosphere, to be in a place where both parties are in the grips of their own extremist movements.

The Dems are in no way 'in the grip' of an extremist movement, unless it is to the right. They are as 'business as usual' as humanly possible, still questing to move far enough right to appease the GOP voters while wondering why they can't seem to motivate the left to show up to vote.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Sinestro posted:

Okay, to be fair, that perspective is somewhat colored by the bubble that I am stuck in and would like to get out of. They aren't in the grips of them yet, but there is certainly a building tide in that direction.

I bet you're actively terrified of Sanders' revolutionary leftist positions like 'maybe we shouldn't actively push the poor deeper into poverty to extract gains for the investor class' and 'hey, wouldn't it be nice if our healtcare industry was more focused on results than extracting profit from death and suffering'.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Adiabatic posted:

Do you really think 100% of the people who voted for Trump are part of the Southern Strategy and are racists? You're doing the exact thing I said the left was doing.

Don't villify the other side carte-blanche.

100%? Probably not. Did going from dogwhistle to outright 'screw those browns' hurt Trump's support in the slightest? Nope.

Continuing to support racists when they are being openly and unabashedly racist really hurts the 'but I'm one of the good ones!' argument.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

The worst, the absolute worst, that we could have gotten out of Clinton was 4 more years of the same thing we had for the last 8.

Now we live in low-key terror because our President loses his poo poo over day to day office politics, if an actual international crisis occurs there is no way to tell what he will do, other then that it will probably be impulsive and terrible. :smith:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

cursedshitbox posted:

David tried this. he started failing at work and school.
I tried this. I went from a 4.0 gpa to a 2.5-3.

It works for some, not all.

Same here. I've discovered I can do ~6 credit hours a semester without losing my ability to push at work or tanking my grades.

Luckily my current position doesn't need a degree.

cursedshitbox posted:

robotics engineering.

I may branch and do a minor in bioengineering for reasons.

Biomechatronics? Fascinating poo poo in that discipline, wish I'd decided to work towards it ten years ago.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jul 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

I think it depends somewhat on what you're selling, too. I would not sell used parts - for cars, or computers, or anything else. It's just too easy for the buyer to break it and then insist you sold a broken part, or to be too stupid to read the description that the part is used.

On the other hand I've had no problem selling books or antiques.

Yeah, only thing I'll bother flipping on ebay anymore is OOP tabletop gaming stuff like warhams, because they make enough money and nobody bitches so long as you have pics and state the condition.

• Locked thread