Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

InitialDave posted:

This.

But working full time doesn't really lend itself to having one, unfortunately. :(

Indeed. I live alone, and on non-telecommute days I leave the house about 7:30 and don't get home until about 7, sometimes later. I just don't think it would be very cool to get a doggy and leave him/her alone 12 hours straight every day I go to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Galler posted:

My cats are very rarely assholes so I think they might be broken.

All cats are assholes that make me sick by merely being present in the same location as me. They probably just aren't assholes to you is all.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Just a friendly suggestion; don't go 100kph with a 1.5t camper, ESPECIALLY on a loving unsealed outback road.

That's 62mph, which is a perfectly reasonable towing speed if the road is decent.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

In my house at least the water main with the meter is in the basement near where it comes into the house. When I go outside there isn't a pip exposed so it must be underground

I'll just let the city handle it I guess since I don't want to be charged with touching someone else's something especially if this leads to extensive property damage on my part (it probably won't unless my fence sinks 8")

There is almost always a meter with shutoff valve somewhere near the edge of the property where they do the meter reading. I seriously doubt that they come into your basement to read the meter.

Having said that, sounds like you've done what you could, and letting the city handle it (assuming that you reported it to the water department?) is probably your best bet at this point.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

InitialDave posted:

Also, happy freedom day, you ungrateful colonial bastards (Well, it's the 4th here. Feel free to wrestle with your conscience about accepting proper British timekeeping vs sacrificing the opportunity for an early start on shooting fireworks at drunk bald eagles or whatever poo poo you get up to).

If 'proper British timekeeping' means not changing your clock an hour back or forwards a couple of times per year, we already have that. You just have to live here in hell Phoenix. Well, most anywhere in the state actually, except the Navajo reservation because they felt the need to be different (and by different I mean just like most of the rest of the country).

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

InitialDave posted:

No, it means changing them at the proper time, like a civilised person.

A civilised person isn't stupid enough to think that the time changes just because I do something dumb with my clock twice per year, so doesn't bother.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Enourmo posted:

I've been hearing fireworks all day, but I just heard three now five bursts that sounded a whole loving lot like gunshots. Three in a row, then two more, all with that sharp report with mechanical-sounding tail-off.

Fireworks all around here tonight too. Clearly the calendar is confusing to some people who can't figure out what day it is.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Garage2Roadtrip posted:

Yeah, homeowner's associations have gotten out of hand. We're buying a beach house near Folly Beach in SC and while looking around we've seen mild to wild on covenants and restrictions (and dues!). Some of my favorites were 'no vehicles taller than 75" in an open driveway', 'no motorcycles', 'no furniture on front porch', etc... Then the dues, holy poo poo - there was one that was like $600/mo and it was basically a glorified zero-lot-line that you had to maintain the exterior on.

poo poo like this is why, if you have to live in an HOA community (and sometimes it can be very difficult to avoid in some areas), then you should take the few hours per month needed to be actively involved in the HOA or even get on the board, so that the HOA doesn't turn into a group of old grouchy retired people who love to have power over everyone's lives.

If the majority of a community is middle-aged working class, then the board should represent that, and not be the 7 old retired guys out of a community of 500 homes.

Sadly, 95% of people are too apathetic and lazy to bother.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Liquid Communism posted:

Or too busy. Once those 7 retired guys get on the board, they tend to do stuff like move the meetings to 2pm Thursdays and start trying to change the rules for electing the board.

My HOA has 408 homes. We have reduced the board to 3 because we can't get anyone willing to serve even after explaining that it is one meeting every other month (2 hours max) and the rest via email. We get anywhere from 0 to 10 homeowners showing up for a meeting. We hold the meetings on a Wednesday night at 7pm to make sure anyone that wants to attend has plenty of time to get there.

Because of the complete apathy of the homeowners, we can't actually change any rules in order to get rid of the rules that people commonly show up to complain about, because it takes a LOT of homeowners to change the rules (this is set by state law). We can change simple stuff like architectural guidelines, and we can tell the management company not to enforce 'rule x', but we can't actually change anything, so we spend a lot of time listening to a few old people bitch about their neighbor parking their work truck (pickup with a company logo on it) in the driveway, because it's against the rules. We can't actually change the rules to allow the 100+ 'work vehicles' that park in the community to be allowed to do so, because none of those people will show up.

We also get like 3 or 4 people who want us to enforce the no overnight parking on the street (the streets are owned by the city, so iffy on enforcing that anyway), and don't care that everyone in the community would have to pay an extra 10 bucks per month to pay for that enforcement. So if it wasn't for me and the other two guys who all hate being on the board, but do it to keep the board from becoming those guys, I'm sure my HOA would be hellish to deal with.

I spent 4+ years fighting to get the rear end in a top hat retired guys off the board, and now I'm stuck because since nobody is getting harassed by the HOA, nobody can be bothered to care enough to show up. If I left, they would have to fill the vacancy with the grouches who show up to the meeting, and the slide into terrible HOA would begin again, so I know firsthand how HOAs get like that, and it is completely the fault of the members of the HOA who can't be assed to give up an hour or two every other month to at least show up to the meetings. The grouches won't volunteer to be on the board now, because they know they would lose all the votes 3:2 (with a 5 person board), but as soon as the current board became 2, they would be jumping in to 'help' by volunteering.

I hope that I'm the first one to move out of the community so I don't have to deal with it.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Or... We could just ban HOAs.

I'd be perfectly ok with that. Not sure what happens to all the green areas, playgrounds, tot-lots, etc. that the HOA's are currently maintaining though, because I'm sure the towns down have the budget to take care of all of it.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Dannywilson posted:

I love plum crazy, but what about a Sassy Grass Green Challenger?

Um.... isn't that a Cuda?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

boxen posted:

Sooo, holy gently caress someone talk to me about huge old Mopars.
I've contracted some kind of brain parasite where I've had 1969-1972 "Fuselage-body" fullsize Mopars on on my mind some time ago. It popped up again seeing the old Newport in Missouri in the truck thread, so I've been occasionally searching Craigslist for one. I have a thing for fullsize musclecar-era cars, and my dad is a huge Impala SS fan (has something like a dozen convertibles), so I grew up around reasonably large cars. I currently DD a Fiero and an e30, so owning a car which is nearly twice the weight of either of those and feet larger in every dimension entertains me. Also the engine is more displacement than both of those put together, and it's not close.

There's a 1970 Chrysler 300 hardtop for sale in Seattle that's calling to me. I'm in Portland, and I don't have a place to put it (questionable if it'd fit into my apartment garage), and the ad doesn't say if it's even registered or not.

Beyond DO IT AND POST A THREAD, someone talk to me about this.

Can't help you much from a current standpoint, but I grew up with those big Mopars, since they were readily available and cheap!

I had at one time or another:
'73 Newport with a 440 - was a pretty good sleeper.
'73 Charger with a 400.
'68 Charger with a 440 - dual point ignition, 4 speed manual - was a pain in the rear end to keep tuned, caught on fire 3 times.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

I wish my house was worth a decent amount more than I paid for it (just now recovering to pre-crash prices) so I could move. Of course that also sort of means I wish I had a job prospect elsewhere, or that my company would let me work full time remote (might actually be a possibility at some point).

It is currently 10:45pm. There is a lovely 12mph breeze outside, which is doing exactly nothing to make it cool, simply moving some dust with the loving 107 degree air at almost 11pm...

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Looks like a pretty nice place to live, except for that language barrier thing. :)

Good luck CSB.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Ether Frenzy posted:

It's common to say the US is corrupt because we have shithead cops, shithead politicians, and oftentimes byzantine bureaucracy to get anything done - but there is a huge gulf between the two societies in reality.

I've been spending a fair amount of time in Mexico over the last year, and yea while I think we have a lot of issues in our government here in the US, when you really start to learn about other countries, we are light-years ahead of places like Mexico and apparently Ukraine when it comes to how the system treats the average citizens.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

Meanwhile, Cox is implementing overage charges on the order of 2000% in metro Phoenix. :argh:

At least they set the bandwidth limit to a point that very few people will hit. At least for now.

RE: Centurylink - My brother dumped Cox because they refused to give him any sort of decent rate for internet (I fight with them every 2 years but somehow manage to end up with a decent plan/price) and got Centurylink DSL. They brought two lines to his house to get him a 40mb connection.. for $30/mo. Unless you need high upload speeds, seems like a decent deal to me, and I'll consider seeing what they can deliver the next time my Cox pricing runs out and they try to double up my bill.

The Locator fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jul 9, 2017

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

InitialDave posted:

Just had a new CNC delivered at work. Apparently no-one measured the height of the factory roof vs the gantry loader mechanism movement path.

Yaaaay. :toot:

CNC's need skylights.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

Ah yes, DARE, another ineffective waste of money.

Seems like it's pretty drat effective at wasting money.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

If you are doing ibuprofen, just do 800mg at a time. Advils/generics are usually 200 per pill. I had some gum graft surgery a while back and the doc gave me some Norco 5s. Ate those like tic-tacs and they didn't do poo poo for the pain. 4x Advil at a time is all that would touch it.

If you are taking 800mg of ibuprofen, make sure you have food in your stomach. I learned this the painful way.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I don't know what that other stuff will do combined with the Advil so obviously you'll probably want to let that cycle out of your system if you can. The 800mg dose of ibuprofen is prescription strength so while it's generally safe, don't overdo it.

You can also stack ibuprofen and acitomitaphin (Tylenol - I probably have the chemical spelling wrong). I had a doc tell me to take them alternating every two hours to prevent the up/down cycle of every four hours.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

beep-beep car is go posted:

Note: This is hard on your liver.

It's not intended for long-term use. In my case it was for pretty severe pain from shingles and it turned out I was severely allergic to Vicodine (the cure was worse than the disease if you will), so the alternating Tylenol/Ibuprofen worked fine for the short period that I needed it, and I have had both an MD and a dentist (wisdom tooth removal) recommend it short-term when I did not want to use narcotics.

Also I don't drink, so the mixing with alcohol wasn't an issue.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Liquid Communism posted:

My DARE officer back in high school:

"James Trimble, ....

'I'm convinced this is a one-time incident for you,' the judge said.

"Trimble, 44, is required to spend his community-service time giving anti-drug speeches to students. He conducted such talks as a police officer in Urbandale schools."

I guaranfuckingtee that if it was me or you that got nailed with that much meth, we'd be spending a lot more time in jail than the 10 years the prosecution wanted for this guy, let alone 2 years probation and 100 hours of chatting with high school kid about how to throw a party how evil drugs are.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

I see the Aztec designer found a new job.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Geoj posted:

YMMV on this, I've worked in three different office environments in the past four years. Two of them had/have decent adjustable chairs but the desks are fixed height. The other was a complete poo poo show - 10+ year old consumer grade office chair with a fixed desk that was probably from the late 70s or early 80s.

Generally based on my experience company size and the age of the office environment are the biggest factors in quality of office furniture - small company in an old building is probably going to have bad office furniture.

Our office workstations have Herman Miller Aeron type chairs, and the section of the desk/worktop that has the keyboard is adjustable for height all the way up to standing, and can be tilted as well. In the cases of unique needs, the workstations are customized for those needs, we have a few people in wheelchairs, and we had one guy have a stroke and when he came back they rigged up a workstation/cubicle with lots of noise insulation and a 'Dragon' type text to speech rig because he was incapable of typing for several months after he was able to come back.

The recently went through and asked everyone if their chairs needed repairs or replacement.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

ilkhan posted:

When is the move? We still need to go for a ride together at some point.

Based on his recent posts, he's already made the move.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Ferremit posted:

Gah why is solar so full of bullshit and confusion.

Two quotes- One quote for $11k, Uses 36 x 270w panels for a total panel output of 9.7kw, Uses a single 8.2Kw inverter

Second quote- $13.5K, uses 38 x 275w panels for a total panel output of 10.4kw. Runs dual 5.0kw inverters.

You think I can get a straight answer on whether the 8.2kw inverter is going to limit the output of the whole systems to below what the panels are good for?

I'm not sure how the inverter ratings work, so I can't answer your question, but I can say that here in the sunny land of Arizona it's been my experience watching the output of my solar system that the times you will get above 8.2Kw on a 9.7Kw system might be on the order of a couple of hours, a few days per year, and capping the output at 8.2Kw would have a fairly insignificant impact on the overall output of the system over a year.

I have a 6.0Kw system and it's somewhat rare for it to hit 5Kw, although the peak on the history of about 3.5 years of producing shows 6.06Kw, which seems pretty odd, as I wouldn't expect it to go over rating. A good day of production has the system running about 70-75% (4.5Kw is very good as a peak) for a 3-4 hours with the rest ramping up or down to that number. The peak output is when the weather is cooler, but of course the days are shorter and the peak power is limited to a much shorter period of time in the day too.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Ferremit posted:

Which makes me ask why i'd pay for 9.7KW of panels when i only have 8.2Kw of inverter when i can pay for 10.4kw of panels and get 10kw of inverter? Not sure chopping 1.5kw of your array capacity out of production is really worth the apparent gains either side?

Because of what I posted last night. You will almost never be getting more than 80% of the 'peak' capacity out of your array. Almost never.

Here are two very typical bright sunny days in the Phoenix area with a 6.0Kw array.

The first image is from a cool day at the beginning of May (high temp 79 degrees) and the second pic is from the 20th of June with a high temp of 107. As the temperature goes up, I obviously get more sun, but the efficiency of the panels goes down. The only times I ever exceed 5Kw from my array are cool winter days, and only for very brief times in the middle of the day.

You need more 'array' than the power requirements because the array is almost never going to be producing over 80% of it's rated capacity.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Rhyno posted:

The only good thing about clearly defining a year that GenX ended and Millenials started is that I was born in 1979 which falls in the gap between so suck it everyone else.

Get off my lawn you drat young whippersnapper!

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

mekilljoydammit posted:

While I am all about actually showing up and voting, I can kind of understand the viewpoint of "... yeah, gently caress you both."

Yea. As someone who was registered 'R' for most of my life.. I changed that to Independent about 10 years ago, and now I hate both parties. I lean conservative in a lot of ways, but on social issues lean towards the left. I would have voted for Bernie if my loving state allowed Independents a voice in the primaries, but instead was not allowed to vote until the choice was shitpile one or shitpile two.

I did however, still show up and vote, as I feel that participating in an election is the most important thing that a citizen can do.

I just wish the parties weren't so hosed up that they gave us such a god damned lovely choice.

I still can't believe what we got. Both parties are so dysfunctional and myopic that they completely ignore what the country as a whole wants and seemingly can't find a palatable and competent candidate to stick up on the podium to get my vote.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Kazinsal posted:

preferably one that doesn't have a trend of picking candidates experiencing early signs of with dementia.

Fixed that for you.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

ilkhan posted:

This is the part that eats at me. Any halfway decent candidate would have easily taken this election, and we still ended up with like 5% 3rd party.

Doesn't help that the 3rd party candidates were also terrible (albeit in different ways). We didn't even have a reasonably palatable 'protest vote' to vote for.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

What really ticks me off about the parties is that they seem to be unable to comprehend this:

Somewhere around 35~40% are going to vote "R", even if a damp bag of poo poo is the R candidate.
Somewhere around 35~40% are going to vote "D", even if a damp bag of poo poo is the D candidate.

How hard is it to understand that you need to find a candidate that will appeal to that 20~30% of voters that actually are willing to compromise and not vote straight party ticket in order to win? Instead they stick up candidates that appeal to their base, who would have voted for them no matter what, and the swing vote is left going "what the gently caress?", and trying to figure out which candidate disgusts them slightly less before holding their nose and casting their vote (or staying home and saying 'gently caress it').

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

QuarkMartial posted:

I will always vote F-150. My 2006 with a V6 engine has over 240,000 miles on it and is still running strong.

I sold my 2006 F-150 (5.4 engine) to a neighbor when it had about 85,000 miles on it about 4 years ago now. Last I saw it had 150,000+, and I'm fairly certain that it's seen exactly zero maintenance since I sold it. His wife ran off the road and hit a curb so hard it wrecked a rim and slightly bent an axle. It still has the spare rim/tire on it from that. When a power window failed he didn't fix it or even jam it permanently up, he just puts up plastic when it looks like it might rain. Makes me sad to see it, but it just keeps on trucking.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

I can honestly say that I am happy I didn't vote for him, not that it mattered.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

I'm going out on a limb (ok, it's a really thick limb and pretty short) and going to say that a LOT of people that voted for Trump, were not voting for Trump nearly as much as they were holding their noses and voting against Hillary.

Seriously, if the Dems had chosen almost anyone else I think it would have been a landslide win for them, but nope... they had to have their chosen one because they loving *knew* that they couldn't lose... and they were wrong.

A lot of those same people probably wish (even if they won't admit it, although a lot of them are) that they had not voted the way they did.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

If they were capable of overlook the numerous scams and scandals of Trump, but couldn't overlook Hillary's....

....dunno what to tell them, except they are really bad at actually reading up on candidates. Jon Oliver covered this really well: Trump had way more red flags. There was never any real comparison, and Trump NEVER presented any real image of tangible leadership. Most of his events were largely random rants that ebbed and flowed from one topic to another without any real logic or thought.

I do not buy the whole 'Well, it was him or Clinton' excuse. It actually reflects more poorly on them, because it highlights the unwillingness of American voters to actually research their candidates.

Don't get me wrong: Clinton sucked. But no matter the comparison, she sucked way less than Trump in every respect.

I wasn't arguing that. I am simply saying that it's the way a lot of people voted. They had their hatred for Hillary established, and their vote was determined long before Trump won the Republican primary.

Is that stupid? Hell yes, but it's still true that a not insignificant number of people voted against Hillary and had blinders on to the fact that the other guy might actually be worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

BigPaddy posted:

Ebay has been poo poo for a long time. Especially when it changed from being an online auction site to being a marketplace for people to sell market stall poo poo at prices higher than supermarkets.

I thought Ebay was just a storefront for Chinese/Russian pirated goods.

• Locked thread