Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
Personally I feel like i trust the reliability of new gas motors more than new diesels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
Excuse me for being uninformed, but why does the trailer have a tire so far back. I would think that would gently caress up tongue weighting and reduce break over angle.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
Man, sounds like he knows how to have a good time.

Sadi fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jul 13, 2017

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
Holy gently caress this thread is getting heavy.

Enourmo posted:

I don't really like the idea of smoking, but I find I can focus on work for a while after a smoke, in a way that caffeine no longer does for me.

Live your life the way you want man, but having watched two grandparents die of emphysema I'd encourage you in the strongest possible terms to not smoke.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005

Magnus Praeda posted:

I took a friend up on his offer to go out running with another friend on Saturday and did 20 minutes of run/walk intervals with a 30 minute brisk walk back. Lots of fun, but probably a little much for my my massively out-of-shape (and fat) rear end. Ended up with some pain on the outside of my foot on Sunday, so I wanted to avoid making it worse by doing more intervals.

"No worries," I thought. "I'll just cross train on the stationary bike for 30 minutes!"
Did that Sunday and this morning.

Now my foot feels fine but my butt hurts.

:sigh:

In my experience you just have to learn to like the pain. Let's you know you've done things hard. The more you work out the less it hurts though. The best thing for me has been finding something I truly enjoy, mountain biking let's me get a good workout and I'm excited to do it. At bare minimum if I'm not losing fat, I'm loosing blood weigh from all my cuts.

Unrelated,
I'm coming to a conundrum. I like my current job on. It's been my first out of school, I get a lot of design freedom, make things the way I want them, I have access to a machine shop whenever I want to make poo poo, I like the majority of the guys I work with, and I don't make bad money. Downsides, they still consider me an entry level engineer after 3.5 years of work, and there doesn't seem to be much internal promotion or room for growth here. I have the opportunity to take a job with a much larger company, only a slightly longer drive, probably a 20% or more raise, still doing design work. It is a nuclear Industry job though, which has a reputation for being slow and boring. I'm kind of scared that I might be running away from a good thing. I don't know a lot of people who like their jobs.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005

ilkhan posted:

20% isn't bad, especially if you are coming off a fairly high number to begin with. Can you take the new job without burning the bridges that let you into the machine shop? Or even letting you come back to the old/current job if you don't like the new one?

Why are you looking for something new? Money? Respect? Title? or just looking for something new and different?

I dont think I would burn bridges here, and my boss and co workers like me. That said its a serious enough operation I could certainly not come into the machine shop where I currently work if I no longer worked there. But I think I could maintain relationships enough that I might be able to come back if I left.

Im mostly looking for something new and some career advancement. Im still an Engineer 1, got passed over for a promotion last cycle, and my only friend who got a promotion got it by threatening to leave if he didn't. The new job would be a senior engineering position that Im well qualified for. So I feel that for career growth reasons it would be a good way to go. I don't know that I will get much advancement at my current job.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005

stump posted:

Finally got to try a car with Apple CarPlay. What a disappointment - it's worse in many ways than a decent Bluetooth unit.

- Can't use google maps / waze / whatever.
- Can't have one app up on the phone and one on the dash - i.e. nav and music.
- Can't connect one phone via CarPlay and another via Bluetooth.
- Can't make a phone call using steering wheel controls.
- Spotify and Overcast apps are buggy as poo poo - at one point I opened Overcast, which launched on the phone, but CarPlay opened Spotify.

Some of these may be down to the head unit ('17 VW Tiguan) but it's just a bit poo poo. Aside from having a big screen I don't see the benefit (aside from :cop: ) above Bluetooth and a decent phone mount. A lot of cars even have a Siri / Cortana / whatever button.

The only thing I liked was apple maps gave me nav on the car screen with the next 5 instructions on my phone.

Is the Android implementation any better?

Please don't turn this into general Apple vs Android proselytising .

I like CarPlay better that it sounds like you do. Ive only used it in Fords with Sync 3. Personally I liked it for music, but I have a huge library and use apple music. I also don't dislike apple maps. I use google/apple/waze interchangeably. The biggest advantage of CarPlay to me was the music integration and ease of browsing my library. I always plug my phone in in the car because its 3 years old and the battery sucks, so being plugged in is business as usual for me. Pretty sure with the ford I could make calls with the steering wheel controls, but I only spent a few days with it so im not sure. I never used any 3rd party apps. As others have said, wireless connections are coming soon, know BMW is working on it. For battery reasons I still see being plugged in personally.

I used android auto on both cars and I thought the interface and integration was a ton better. Honestly im probably going to go android in not too long. I like my aux cable I use it all the time.

If I were to get a newer car AndroidAuto/CarPlay would be big selling points to me. I like the navigation and audio interfaces a ton better. Certainly more than just a BT connection.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005

Enourmo posted:

this has been your dumb evolutionary fact of the day, back to designing cams for my kinematics class

Be careful to not jerk too much!

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
The problem with mormons is it's really hard to get a good beer in Utah.

Sadi fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jul 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
I very much liked project cars for a sim to arcade level game. I've only played it with a wheel though. My room mates and I try to keep a drunk driving leader board for it in the house. Also grid autosport was fun for an arcade-sim game.

• Locked thread