Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I'm going to talk about dogs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

3 dogs 3 cats 10 goats 2 horses 4 pigs

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Sadi posted:

Personally I feel like i trust the reliability of new gas motors more than new diesels.

Naw the duramax and Cummins are good motors. My work cummins 5500 dodge is a '15, put in service in that year and is at 90k with only oil changes (well and brake service).

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

My neighbours basement is flooding and their sump pump is consequently flooding our yards. They appear to be gone for the long weekend and I can hear the water at the source running but there isn't a valve I can turn off. I tried calling the non emergency phone line but they told me they can't have officers break in to verify that there is a catastrophic leakage on the property and I don't have their phone number and none of their neighbours are home

What do I do

Know where they work? Call and see if they can get contact info.

Failing that, use your county property tax info to find out who owns the property and you can probably find either them or a relative on Facebook. If no FB, Google up a relative with a listed house phone.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

DJ Commie posted:

What sort of backwater NEC-ignoring shithole is this in? I know they make meter-only enclosures but they are supposed to be tied in directly into a main panel with a disconnect.

Nah you just need a main breaker in whatever panel comes off the meter.

It's preferable to have some shutoff outside fire safety and fire reasons, but that's not NEC required, only in some local codes. Here the fire dept pulls the meter regardless of shutoff. Of course, they make CT meter bases where pulling the meter doesn't actually kill the power, hopefully they know enough to throw a disconnect if they ever come across one of those. =/

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Rhyno posted:

FOUND THE PT KEYS

they were hanging on the key hold where they were supposed to be.

Also I want to cancel our wedding, elope and buy this house
http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/609-W-Oakdale-Dr_Fort-Wayne_IN_46807_M40240-64895#photo20

You could stand in between and touch your house and the neighbors. And there's only 1 full bathroom. Nah.

Although yes elope.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

drat, I just assumed it was something in the hydraulics, bad slave or something.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

rdb posted:

Wow, I live in the middle of nowhere Indiana, and I just had someone come to my door and ask if I knew where stuff was buried on the property and where I want the fiber run. loving sweet. Love my rural telephone co-op all the sudden.

Yup, same here, very rural SC with a telco co-op. No fiber on my road yet yet but it's coming. They've already rolled it through all the more populated areas and subdivisions, and I've been seeing the crews father out.

No complaints about my service either. I had cable tv via their TVIP service and was happy with it until the price kept creeping up. I pay for 15/1 and I just tested it at 14.6/.7/ 9ms ping while my daughter watched YouTube on the tablet at the same time.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I am also very angry about this conversation

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Wrar posted:

AI Dads/Moms how nervous should I be since my wife is due any time now.

Enjoy the late pregnancy horny-ness while it lasts, you're about to have a dry spell.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Awww cute kids. Post your kids instead of cats and dogs :v:

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

The water hydrant that I just fixed a month ago (because the horse went through it), has completely quit. Either I have no water pressure (seems unlikely there's a pipe break without a puddle somewhere), or the God drat plunger at the bottom of the hydrant is stuck/the rod is broken. loving gently caress gently caress I am tired of digging up this loving thing

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Slack invitation to username at gmail please?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Forgive me AI, for I cannot identify this car for sale.

http://charleston.craigslist.org/cto/6192991216.html

He calls it an Opel GT, but it clearly isn't. It looks so familiar to me but I can't place it and GIS is failing me. ...Do I need to head straight there with a trailer and cash in hand?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

At least I feel less crazy now. If no one can identify it I'll give him a call.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

MonkeyNutZ posted:

That looks like a two door Opel Ascona (1900 in the USA) that was shortened behind the door and lengthened in front of it. The wheel wells were also moved up to lower the body, especially in the front.

Later years, 1975 I think, had the tail lights wrap into the side of the car. Looks like 1971 style bumpers on a chopped 1975

E: and they threw some kind of weird engine into it

So I called the guy. You are correct, it started as an Ascona, but a 4 door version. Body was modified as you said. Engine is from Buick Skylark, so an early 3800 (Fireball V6), trans he's unsure about but thinks it's also from the same engine donor, 4 speed manual. Rear end is supposed to be from Ford Falcon (with leaf springs), so that could be quite a few things I think, but if true potentially also means there are plenty of good options in diffs and brakes for it. His family bought it this way in 1983 and he says it's always been kept in storage/under cover and pulled out to run occasionally.

Front suspension he claimed to be from an Opel GT, is that possible? I thought the GT shared parts with the Kadett? It appears the same suppliers have parts for all models so maybe they're related or similar?

Anyhow he's removed the gas tank and had it acid dipped and then coated, but hasn't reinstalled because he said he didn't like how the fuel line was run. Unbelievably he says the thing runs great and can drive it around his storage facility. :stare:

I'm, uh, thinking about looking at it tomorrow.....

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

KakerMix posted:

I'm starting to think about importing kei cars from Japan and selling them over here in the US. The volume will be tiny, one car at a time and it will be exclusively kei class since that's what I've immersed myself in. The only international port in Florida they seem to be able to be delivered to is in Jacksonville, on the other side of the state from me. This means I have to figure out how to get them from over there to where I am in Sarasota (south of Tampa) and I've been looking at towing vehicles and what is needed for that. So far it seems I can expect around 1500 pounds for a tandem axle trailer (with brakes) and kei cars themselves never weigh more than 2000 lbs. As for vehicles with which to tow the trailer with I would like an SUV instead of a pickup because at least I can seat more people in it, where as if I want a pickup I'll just get a kei truck. I've been looking at J80 Land Crusiers (and the LX450, same truck) and second and third gen 4runners. I like the 4runners because it's less truck than a land crusier and they come in manual transmissions.
Is there anything I'm missing or have extremely wrong? I'm wholly ignorant on towing and what I should expect. I also want to do it right.

Those wouldn't be my first choice for regular towing, but for pulling a little kei car twice a year on flat land, either is probably fine. Of the two, the 4runner will be cheaper to run and repair I think.

If you want to go Toyota, how about a Sequoia? The drivetrain is quite stout and the first gens I see for pretty cheap. Maybe a little more truck than you are wanting, especially if it's gonna be an everyday vehicle...but I can vouch for the ability of that chassis to tow comfortably and reliably.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I would think that a J80 or LX450/470 would be more ideal for towing than a 4Runner. The big Lexus SUVs can be had cheap with higher miles, but as you know that doesn't really matter for the right truck. I would take the Lexus features over the Toyota all day long, tow in comfort gently caress it.

https://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/cto/d/lexus-lx/6220677977.html

I'd agree with the 470. He specifically said 450/j80 though, and they are a good truck but underpowered for hauling even just itself around. With a car trailer and 2k lbs vehicle, he'll be at 8500 lbs and that's just too much for regular towing with the straight six. 2nd gear on slight grades and being unable to merge at speed is not comfortable. :v:

KakerMix posted:

5 years ago I would have put the Sequoia right up next to that giant beluga whale Infiniti SUV for being the ugliest things on the road. Now it's not so much what with the Prius but I still have a deep dislike for the way that thing looks.

Even the first gen ones?

I agree with later models, the beluga whale comparison is apt but I didn't feel the early ones had...that face...they ended up with.

angryrobots fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Jul 16, 2017

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Congrats. Best part of pregnancy is pregnancy boobs.

True

Somewhat Heroic posted:

It gets better when you have the baby though.

Yeah about that.....

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

We're heading inexorably toward the heat death of the universe and nothing matters. Hail sloth!

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

LloydDobler posted:

In other more car related news, I decided to do a compression check in my new-to-me V70R while I had the coilpacks out for replacement. I figured it'd just confirm that everything is fine, and I start testing... 110, 110, 110, 110... 70. gently caress.

Keeping in mind I tested it stone cold, having not been run for several days, the car runs really well and has no symptoms of badness, I'm not quite into full panic mode yet. I went ahead and ordered a leakdown tester for a proper check, and even though it sucks to do I'll do it on a hot engine. But I really hope the PO didn't gently caress me over. I do not want to do a head or even head gasket.

Have you done a whiteblock hg yet? It's a lot of fun. It's really not fun.

I made the tool to pull the upper and lower parts of the head together. It's not exactly a complicated tool to make but if you need/want it, it's yours. Hopefully it's just carbon buildup on a valve or something. In my experience (of two bad whiteblock hg's), the ecu would have long since thrown a misfire trouble code for that much compression loss.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Larrymer posted:

He tried so hard, and got so far. But in the end, did it even really matter?

Lol.

So my wife calls me first thing this morning at work and says the dryer isn't getting hot. Get home, verify the issue, tear it down and troubleshoot. Both limit switches and the motor centrifugal switch test good. Motor has power and is working, uhhhh the element should be getting hot.

Put it back together, plug in it and test....it works perfectly. I have two screws left over from reassembly but no idea why it was acting up. :v:

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

The book was better than the movie.

I've typed out and deleted like 3 explanations for my opinion, so I'll just leave it there.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Ether Frenzy posted:

Holy gently caress these :biotruths: that have been debunked for 100+ years are you :words:

:sonia:

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I had the same reaction as the pink haired lady

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

ilkhan posted:

When did you break an angle?

You're trying to be acute, but you just sound obtuse

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I'm hoping to visit Isla Sorna one day

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

DesperateDan posted:

Decided to finally fix up a loose tap, dug out my plumbers wrench, idly thought about goggles as I maneuvered into place, get it nice and tight and WHAM rust/calcium chunks right in my eye. Eyebath sorted the eye but not my sense of stupid, hence the confession. Wear em.

Always good to repeat, thanks for the confession. After spending 4k on my peepers, I promise I always have z87s on.

Edit: I spent most of today finally going through 11 years worth of old computers, mostly deleting old junk and consolidating what I want to back up. Holy poo poo at the crappy low resolution videos I thought I needed to save in 2004.

angryrobots fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jul 31, 2017

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I deleted about 20 gigs of early 2000s internet videos. Lots of poorly shot car videos set to terrible music. I fit the entirety of stuff I intend to keep, all my photos and important documents, on a 32 gig stick with room to spare.

I pretty much junked anything that I didn't make myself. It's all online somewhere, and a hell of a lot of it wasn't my thing anymore anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

At this point, you can find a junked truck with an Allison if you do burn one up, but yeah they're hard to kill without absolute abusive behaviour. I have an 8.1 3500 and fully expect the trans to outlive nuclear holocaust. We've had one Allison burn up in something like 40 trucks and God knows how many miles, and I was told that the dealership shipped it off to Allison cause they wanted to see what failed.

I believe almost all, if not all trucks with the 6.0 had the 4l80E? Also, the 8.1L Suburban got a 4l85E, cause the Allison wouldn't fit.

• Locked thread