Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

It's AI. Every season is cherry pickin' season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

As many reviews said, the new DooM is awesome. Been playing it all day.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

I love it, those are the stories you remember and then repeat to anyone who will listen, much to their embarrassment. My daughter is very tired of me telling everyone she got straight As in honors courses this year. I can't stop though.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Awwww, did you tell him that the fear is what makes him ready? Or I wonder if he means he's enjoying being the baby still?

Hey Adiabatic, what causes a thread to go archives? Is it still 90 days like it used to be? I have a build thread coming up on 90 days but I"m still too lazy and stupid to work on the car, and I hate to bump it in that condition.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Something is pushing me to want to buy a CNC machine. Something that I can start making billet aluminum parts from. It seems like there would be demand to have access to a machine like that. I am saying that as while I feel confident in my current occupation it is always good to have something in reserve. I am wanting to either look into manufacturing/selling things or learn some sort of high paying skill trade. I don't even know where to begin on this though. It is normal to have thoughts like this, right?

Very normal. I have friends like this and occasionally feel it myself. One guy I know hand built a CNC wood router that can cut whole 4 x 8 boards. He makes videogame enclosures for vintage game restoration with it. Not enough to live on, but he makes enough to have fun with it. Of course he has a shop that has space for it. I don't.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

redgubbinz posted:

Kinda wish I lived in a state with legal weed, I doubt they'd give me a prescription because of the ol sadbrains. Plus the last thing I need is something that'll make me play more video games.

Not sure if you know but some of the states with legal weed have made it fully legal, no prescription required. This is why I spent 11 months unemployed last year, over half a million assholes have moved here (Colorado) in the last few years, a lot did it for the weed and a lot of them were mechanical engineers. I've never tried weed in my life.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Rhyno, accept a date with this person and then bring your fiance along. Talk about her and cars and nothing else, see if the shine comes off.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

In other more car related news, I decided to do a compression check in my new-to-me V70R while I had the coilpacks out for replacement. I figured it'd just confirm that everything is fine, and I start testing... 110, 110, 110, 110... 70. gently caress.

Keeping in mind I tested it stone cold, having not been run for several days, the car runs really well and has no symptoms of badness, I'm not quite into full panic mode yet. I went ahead and ordered a leakdown tester for a proper check, and even though it sucks to do I'll do it on a hot engine. But I really hope the PO didn't gently caress me over. I do not want to do a head or even head gasket.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Rhyno posted:

We just watched the Veronica Mars movie and HOLY SHEET Kristen Bell was clearly still nursing.

drat GIRL

Yeah Bad Moms had a drat GIRL moment or two in it for Kristen Bell as well. In fact she played against type pretty well in that movie. Dumb and predictable but I'd stare at Mila Kunis reading the phone book for 2 hours.

It lasts less than a second but I remembered it all day! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21dvcRp9x8E&t=96s

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jul 24, 2017

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

In car news, got my V70R out of the dent shop and it is straight as an arrow, everywhere. They did a fantastic job. Then it started raining all night so no pics for you.

Then I bought 650cc injectors and an oversized MAF to go with my new tune. Gonna be sick.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Darchangel posted:

Personally, I would have just used the factory Bose amp with the Infinity speakers we put in - the amp for that added a lot of work (2 extra RCA cables, interfacing with the factory wiring at the Bose amp.) We tested the system just like that before moving on the amps, and it sounded fine.

Usually you can't. Not sure if this is still the case but Bose has a history of running super low impedance speakers so if you put regular speakers on it the amp has no real power, and if you put a regular amp on the bose speakers it will overcurrent the whole amp. So you might have gotten lucky, I've seen people pop components during testing while trying to mix and match Bose stuff.

If Bose is conforming to more industry standards lately then yeah it would have been no problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Darchangel posted:

I'm familiar with how Bose did it back in the late '80s early '90s - I worked at a shop that did GM-Bose and Nissan-Bose repair - with those silly 3-1/2" 3-Ohm (or less?) drivers in a module with an amp at each location.

Right, they were usually half ohm, which made for super efficient small amplifiers but also made everything incompatible with anything else. The amp wouldn't drive any other speakers, and the Bose speakers would pop any other amp they were connected to. (in the days before over-current protection). Buddy of mine had an amazing sounding aftermarket Bose system in his car back in the early 90's and some douchebag broke in to the car and stole just the amp. He had to basically throw out the speakers.

Sounds like they're conforming to more normal specs nowadays. And I agree if the amp worked he should have used it.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jul 31, 2017

• Locked thread