Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Quantum Mechanic posted:

The question is ultimately who determines policy - the party or the MPs?

Once the members are voted in I don't see that's it's the party's right to dictate what they do. They also have to govern for the other people in their electorate who voted for them who may not be in the party, and they are also supposed to consider the people who did not vote for them at all.

If a member is so off page then they should be expelled from the party and become an independent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

starkebn posted:

Once the members are voted in I don't see that's it's the party's right to dictate what they do. They also have to govern for the other people in their electorate who voted for them who may not be in the party, and they are also supposed to consider the people who did not vote for them at all.

If a member is so off page then they should be expelled from the party and become an independent.

The fact that party members could set the policy position and MPs were supposed to vote that way was one of the things that I really liked about the greens. Take that away and you diminish the party imo.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Anidav posted:

WA is loving bleeding seats, Tasmania and the NT are on ALP lockdown, NSW is slowly drifting and Victoria is probably not going to move one way or the other.

We are basically with a dead government one year on. There are no real achievements here and this government is probably the most inactive and regressive in modern history, completely destroying climate science and lowering wages of poor people for fun.

Good riddance.

SA is going to lose a Federal division in the impending redistribution due to low population growth, most likely the semi-rural safe Liberal seat of Mayo that was won by NXT, with the area carved up between neighbouring divisions. The seat is instead going to a new division in Victoria, probably an urban one. Both the Libs and NXT are spewing.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Jul 2, 2017

starkebn
May 18, 2004

NPR Journalizard posted:

The fact that party members could set the policy position and MPs were supposed to vote that way was one of the things that I really liked about the greens. Take that away and you diminish the party imo.

the members creating the policy is still a great thing to do, and you need to vote during preselection for members who hold the values that you want. But what I'm talking about is the power to bind a member's decisions while sitting and I don't think that's the right thing to do.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

starkebn posted:

the members creating the policy is still a great thing to do, and you need to vote during preselection for members who hold the values that you want. But what I'm talking about is the power to bind a member's decisions while sitting and I don't think that's the right thing to do.

What's the point in members setting policy if the MPs can just ignore it and vote for whatever?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

NPR Journalizard posted:

What's the point in members setting policy if the MPs can just ignore it and vote for whatever?

it's democracy baby, like I said, they should be governing for their electorate or their state, not for their party

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

It's the opposite of democracy. What if they just straight up lie about their principles during the campaign?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Representative Democracy vs Direct Democracy Fight

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

starkebn posted:

it's democracy baby, like I said, they should be governing for their electorate or their state, not for their party

Democracy is broken in Australia.

If the MPs are bound to the party policy, at least part of the electorate is guaranteed to be represented and governed for. If the MPs can do whatever they want there is no guarantee that they make decisions for the electorate.

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

open24hours posted:

It's the opposite of democracy. What if they just straight up lie about their principles during the campaign?

Can't lie about principles when you don't have any.

:billshorten:

starkebn
May 18, 2004

open24hours posted:

they're there for the rest of their term as an independent

turdbucket
Oct 30, 2011

starkebn posted:

how loving dumb can you get. What on earth is the point of deciding policies if MPs aren't bound to them? What's the point in even campaigning for anyone if they will do something different after being elected?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

turdbucket posted:

how loving dumb can you get. What on earth is the point of deciding policies if MPs aren't bound to them? What's the point in even campaigning for anyone if they will do something different after being elected?

how about picking people with some integrity and you have a belief they will uphold the same values you hold?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

starkebn posted:

how about picking people with some integrity and you have a belief they will uphold the same values you hold?

Because the people who run for public office aren't at all adept at lying about that

starkebn
May 18, 2004

:shrug: I don't believe the small amount of people who are actually card carrying members of a political party, and actually bother to turn up to vote on issues, well informed or not, can do a better job than the elected representatives who are given the time and resources needed to research issues and meet with stake holders.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

turdbucket
Oct 30, 2011

starkebn posted:

:shrug: I don't believe the small amount of people who are actually card carrying members of a political party, and actually bother to turn up to vote on issues, well informed or not, can do a better job than the elected representatives who are given the time and resources needed to research issues and meet with stake holders.

People like you are why we get tony Blair.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

the party is a resource, the person voted in is called the Representative for a reason

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

abolish parliament, all power to the soviets

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ C O M I N T E R N TAKE MY ENERGY ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

starkebn posted:

the party is a resource, the person voted in is called the Representative for a reason

You're right, except there's nothing to stop that resource from being available based only on certain conditions.

Labor has their own rule, vote the party lines or be kicked out. "Representatives" understand this going into the job, why can't the same apply for the Greens?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Les Affaires posted:

You're right, except there's nothing to stop that resource from being conditionally available based on certain conditions.

Labor has their own rule, vote the party lines or be kicked out. "Representatives" understand this going into the job, why can't the same apply for the Greens?

you've said exactly what I was advocating in the last few replies of mine, if a rep is so far out of line get rid of them. If you mean threaten to get rid of them for every little thing I don't like it.

Maybe you want the internet party?

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

starkebn posted:

you've said exactly what I was advocating in the last few replies of mine, if a rep is so far out of line get rid of them. If you mean threaten to get rid of them for every little thing I don't like it.

Maybe you want the internet party?

If you don't like it, feel free to not vote for them, but plenty of people in NSW -do- like it and turfing it out is probably going to be counter productive.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

NPR Journalizard posted:

If the MPs are bound to the party policy, at least part of the electorate is guaranteed to be represented and governed for. If the MPs can do whatever they want there is no guarantee that they make decisions for the electorate.

Thank you both for the discussion. The Greens need to represent the best for Australia. not just their party. If you want the party that votes for the people who support them, that would be the Liberal Party, who do what their supports tell them, aka their Big Business donors.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
This really does seem to have lost the question of gonski I vs gonski 2 where this all started and has kind of moved in a very odd direction. Even trying to bring it up has lead to "never negotiate" shoutdowns rather than a debate of merits. Until Lee came along this forum was united in scorn over Labor usibg gonski 2 with But The Catholics and their position electorally is we will put the Catholic money back in. Its a far cry from people claiming exploitation of public schools.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
I personally would love to hear Screaming Llama's take on this greens chat

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
can you hear the people sing, singing the songs of angry men

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

G-Spot Run posted:

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
https://twitter.com/jonathonio/status/881291078170591232

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

G-Spot Run posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16bFBzx7I_0 ??

Thought this was a new CanPol based on the tag, reading it anyway even if its not. How are you today Australia? Is your housing bubble and resource economy in deep poo poo like ours?

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Furnaceface posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16bFBzx7I_0 ??

Thought this was a new CanPol based on the tag, reading it anyway even if its not. How are you today Australia? Is your housing bubble and resource economy in deep poo poo like ours?

DON'T YOU loving COME HERE AND TALK poo poo ABOUT COAL. COAL IS THE FUTURE. COAL IS LIFE.

:coal:

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
HOUSE PRICES CAN ONLY GO UP

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Bogan King posted:

DON'T YOU loving COME HERE AND TALK poo poo ABOUT COAL. COAL IS THE FUTURE. COAL IS LIFE.

:coal:

Birdstrike posted:

HOUSE PRICES CAN ONLY GO UP

I take it that is a "yes"?

At least we have some good company swirling the drain with us. :australia::hf::canada:

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'd say a definite yes but for the fact that Birdstrike failed to put :grovertoot: in the hauspost.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
i like how some boxer gets a loving ticker tape parade and is some amazing national hero now like wow great some dude beat up another dude

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Recoome posted:

i like how some boxer gets a loving ticker tape parade and is some amazing national hero now like wow great some dude beat up another dude

look at the thread title

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Recoome posted:

He probably made a tonne of money too

starkebn fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jul 3, 2017

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

starkebn posted:

He probably made a tonne of mount too

500,000 dollarydoos reportedly, whereas Pacquiao made 10 million lmao

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Recoome posted:

And here I thought you liked fascists getting punched :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Zenithe posted:

And here I thought you liked fascists getting punched :(

look its pretty great that the fascist got punched though

• Locked thread