Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raere
Dec 13, 2007

It's FreeDOS' 23rd birthday!
http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/freedos-23-years-old-and-counting

quote:

If you remember Windows 3.1 at the time, it was a pretty rough environment. I didn't like that you could interact with Windows only via a mouse; there was no command line. I preferred working at the command line. So I was understandably distressed in 1994 when I read via various tech magazines that Microsoft planned to eliminate MS-DOS with the next version of Windows. I decided that if the next evolution of Windows was going to be anything like Windows 3.1, I wanted nothing to do with it... I decided to create my own version of DOS. And on June 29, 1994, I posted an announcement to a discussion group... Our "PD-DOS" project (for "Public Domain DOS") quickly grew into FreeDOS. And 23 years later, FreeDOS is still going strong! Today, many people around the world install FreeDOS to play classic DOS games, run legacy business software or develop embedded systems...

FreeDOS has become a modern DOS, due to the large number of developers that continue to work on it. You can download the FreeDOS 1.2 distribution and immediately start coding in C, Assembly, Pascal, BASIC or a number of other software development languages. The standard FreeDOS editor is quite nice, or you can select from more than 15 different editors, all included in the distribution. You can browse websites with the Dillo graphical web browser, or do it "old school" via the Lynx text-mode web browser. And for those who just want to play some great DOS games, you can try adventure games like Nethack or Beyond the Titanic, arcade games like Wing and Paku Paku, flight simulators, card games and a bunch of other genres of DOS games.

pyf freedos memories

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
pig with crap on balls image

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I configured the PXE boot server at work to serve up a 100MB freedos image with Duke3d on it as one of the boot options, i think it's still there

I never got around to setting up IPX so you could netboot a deathmatch though, maybe I should get some old thin clients and try again

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the only free operating system worth a drat is freebsd

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

My favorite Linux is macOS 10.12 "Sierra"

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

quote:

a modern DOS

lol

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
who loving cares

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
happy birthday fritos

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
:cheers:

pram
Jun 10, 2001
i think you mean GNU/FreeDOS

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
happy birthday to the humble blow job

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
windows 10 is still free I hear

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

pram posted:

i think you mean GNU/FreeDOS

owned

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

Granbar posted:

windows 10 is still free I hear

one of the recent updates made it so sometimes the activate windows watermark will show up so you have to spend 11 seconds running regedit when you reboot

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
a whale is a bad mascot for a DOS clone, it should be a trilobite or something

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

DOS dinosaurs

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

windows wonks

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Linux losers

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

mac martyrs

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

happy birthday! :toot: 🎉

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Silver Alicorn posted:

DOS dinosaurs

JCL hides

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

PL/SQL mammoths

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Gazpacho posted:

a pig with crap on it's balls

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

rewrite the forums with DOS on DOPE

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Captain Foo posted:

rewrite the forums with DOS on DOPE

looked up dos on dope again and was reminded that codeplex failed and is shutting down lol

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
does it have skifree

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
I used an old minimal FreeDOS Image to figure out whether the NEC ProSpeed/386 that I sent LuigiThirty was bootable, and then to run it's config tool (which I was able to get from NEC's FTP site)

that let me learn that the system had a 40MB HD with Windows 3 installed, and switch over to booting from it instead of floppy

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Gazpacho posted:

it should be a CP/M logo with the CP/M crossed out and replaced with QDOS with the Q subsequently crossed out too

Nanpa
Apr 24, 2007
Nap Ghost
My freedos story:

Our electrical engineer decided to use it to monitor a temperature sensor and control a freezer via some relays, because it was apparently the only operating system that would allow him to bitbash or whatever old rs-232 or whatever serial connections to emulate I2C

It was godawful and slow, and his code used gotos and globals everywhere which made trying to script a series of ramp up/down temperatures ultra painful

Don't use command lines friends

(He's legit amazing at nearly everything but admits freedos was a mistake)

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Nanpa posted:

the only operating system that would allow him to bitbash or whatever old rs-232 or whatever serial connections to emulate I2C

Don't use command lines friends

you and your engineer are idiots hth

pram
Jun 10, 2001
rs-232, something linux definitely doesnt support lol

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

pram posted:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

pram posted:

probably writing to the serial port port or sometbung

pram
Jun 10, 2001

atomicthumbs posted:

probably writing to the serial port port or sometbung

you cant be this dumb

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
FreeDOS Lays

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

i used freedos in a retro system once and dark forces stopped working.
welp that's my freedos story and how it's worse than ms-dos 6. see ya later

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
i use freedos all of the time to flash bios and it suits my needs

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

gonna say I prefer dr-dos

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008