Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meat Wagon
Jul 14, 2004
Arnie to West Ham is a Done Deal

I'm not crying, I've just been chopping onions. :cry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
stoke are going down lol

Meat Wagon
Jul 14, 2004
I thought this was the transfer thread.

Jose posted:

stoke are going down lol
Ummm I think you'll find we've won the most prestigious trophy ever last week: the uhren cup. This year is our year.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Jose posted:

stoke are going down lol

yeah, have they like signed anyone?

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Coutinho and Salah scored a couple of great goals against Leicester. Also Trent Alexander-Arnold might actually be the real deal and first proper academy prospect to break into the first team in a while.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Meat Wagon posted:

Arnie to West Ham is a Done Deal

I'm not crying, I've just been chopping onions. :cry:

What the hell are stoke doing?

Meat Wagon
Jul 14, 2004

blue footed boobie posted:

What the hell are stoke doing?

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Ewar Woowar posted:

Coutinho and Salah scored a couple of great goals against Leicester. Also Trent Alexander-Arnold might actually be the real deal and first proper academy prospect to break into the first team in a while.

TAA was great and I can genuinely see him displacing Clyne in the starting 11 if he carries on like this.

Salah has slotted in perfectly, I cannot wait for him to link up with Mane and Firmino and Coutinho and Lallana :fap:

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

EvilHawk posted:

TAA was great and I can genuinely see him displacing Clyne in the starting 11 if he carries on like this.

Salah has slotted in perfectly, I cannot wait for him to link up with Mane and Firmino and Coutinho and Lallana :fap:

I said it last season and I'll say it again- in home games against the smaller sides TAA should start. He offers more going forward than Clyne and is an actual goal threat (Clyne is an awful finisher despite getting into positions to score often).

Having a Firmino, Salah, Mane, Coutinho, and Lallana in a side is ridiculously attacking but I'd be pretty excited to see us line up like this at home.

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

Why are these sides playing against each other in pre season friendlies lol its the most mickey mouse thing ive ever seen

I know its for money but good its pathetic and every fan involved should be ashamed imo

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I'm not going to judge any player, let alone a youth teamer, on friendly performances. How many times have Arsenal fans gotten excited over a youth player who did well in a friendly or two only for that player to turn out to be absolute garbage in real matches?

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

vyelkin posted:

I'm not going to judge any player, let alone a youth teamer, on friendly performances. How many times have Arsenal fans gotten excited over a youth player who did well in a friendly or two only for that player to turn out to be absolute garbage in real matches?

Voronin looked good in friendlies so I've learned that lesson.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Ewar Woowar posted:

Also Trent Alexander-Arnold might actually be the real deal and first proper academy prospect to break into the first team in a while.

I thought it was that welsh striker from last season.

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

Ewar Woowar posted:

Voronin looked good in friendlies so I've learned that lesson.

He scored every friendly game iirc and everyone said that torres wouldn't get in the team lol

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

Thirteenth Step posted:

He scored every friendly game iirc and everyone said that torres wouldn't get in the team lol

he scored in one friendly and nobody said that because he was free and free = bad

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

MrBling posted:

I thought it was that welsh striker from last season.

Woodburn is really good but only 17 and doesn't look like he'll end up as a striker, he's been playing in midfield in every friendly (although that doesn't necessarily mean anything)

Alexander-Arnold is legit the real deal though, he was great every time he played in the first team last season. He'll def get league minutes this season

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

TelekineticBear! posted:

Why are these sides playing against each other in pre season friendlies lol its the most mickey mouse thing ive ever seen

I know its for money but good its pathetic and every fan involved should be ashamed imo

Because 60,000 Americans will pay $200 to watch something equivalent to a reserve match that you could get into for free as a club member in the UK

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I forget which one it was but either Iago Aspas or Fabio Borini looked really impressive in preseason as well

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

FullLeatherJacket posted:

Because 60,000 Americans will pay $200 to watch something equivalent to a reserve match that you could get into for free as a club member in the UK

It's also a hell of a lot cheaper than flying to the UK and getting scalper tickets from stubhub. If you're actually interested in seeing your team play it's basically the only option, as lovely as it is.

When I lived in Australia I watched United twice, plus city, Chelsea and spurs as well as Real Madrid. It's just kick-about nonsense but it's fun to watch and still better quality than the local league.

At the Real Madrid game, Ronaldo was subbed off at halftime and they didn't even announce it on the tannoy because everyone would have left :laffo:

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

vyelkin posted:

I forget which one it was but either Iago Aspas or Fabio Borini looked really impressive in preseason as well
N'Gog had a year where he was the top goalscorer in Europe if you include preseason and the first month of the league.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Swansea's America tour went badly and half the squad were getting outplayed by local amateurs.

Tammy Abraham looks decent, though.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Hoops posted:

N'Gog had a year where he was the top goalscorer in Europe if you include preseason and the first month of the league.

:stare:

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
I mean like "a summer one year 6-8 years ago" to be clear. He scored two hatricks in preseason and then 3 in 2 at the start of the league, something like that. I was most certainly not proclaiming that David N'Gog wasn't a bit shite.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Getting a little excited about Man Utd vs Real Madrid today even though we're starting kids

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Hoops posted:

I mean like "a summer one year 6-8 years ago" to be clear. He scored two hatricks in preseason and then 3 in 2 at the start of the league, something like that. I was most certainly not proclaiming that David N'Gog wasn't a bit shite.

Hogdson got the best out of N'Gog. Two flames that shone twice as bright, but only lasted half as long. :(

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Ronald McDonald just led the players out for the Man Utd vs Real Madrid friendly in the International Champions Cup Sponsored By Heineken :D

Football is totally alive guys :D

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

PirateBob posted:

Ronald McDonald just led the players out for the Man Utd vs Real Madrid friendly in the International Champions Cup Sponsored By Heineken :D

Football is totally alive guys :D

Zidane rolled out academy players and U-19s for the second half and Mourinho brought on like 8 first team players lol.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
We played the first alf with a lot of reserves tbh

Lmao at Lindelof :cawg:

Edit: lol Fellaini

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Man I've seen some bad friendlies in my time but this

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

This shootout, lmao.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Seven out of ten penalties not converted, fucks sake.

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen
If you like to laugh at United and Madrid players then check out the penalty shootout from their friendly.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Shittiest penalty shootout EVER

I challenge anyone to bring up a worse one between professional footballers

Lmfao

Lindelof's effort was the best. He's not having a great pre-season at all :cawg:

That cheered me right up

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

When you say shittiest I hope you mean best because that was hella good to watch

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

I hope Lindelof is bad.

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen
He's been rubbish in pre-season.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae
He's bad. Like, really bad. The tackle that gave away the penalty was awful.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
You know who else came from Portugal with a glowing reputation? Mangala....

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

julian assflange posted:

You know who else came from Portugal with a glowing reputation? Mangala....

Fernando, Javi Garcia, Ederson.

Also apparently Juve want Mangala, but only on loan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
This graphic supposedly shows the most expensive players at every position in the PL.

That is a very underwhelming most expensive team ever.

• Locked thread