Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

fractalairduct posted:

That'sall used to set up the idea of the Doctor 'turning people into weapons'.

Oh I know the thematic connection; just would have liked to see more literal fallout from Osterhagen in particular

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

They gave it away in the title plus there was no escaping the huge amount of publicity for it even if you were spoiler-shy like me, but God I wish the reveal of the titular creature in Dalek could have been a surprise.

Metaltron: Doc-tor? THE Doctor?
9: :aaa:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jerusalem posted:

They gave it away in the title plus there was no escaping the huge amount of publicity for it even if you were spoiler-shy like me, but God I wish the reveal of the titular creature in Dalek could have been a surprise.

And then there was the second to last episode of season 1

The reveal of The Masters

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Jerusalem posted:

Along those same lines, I loved Sarah Jane's reaction when she realizes that Davros is in the Crucible during Stolen Earth/Journey's End. Just this pole-axed "oh gently caress this rear end in a top hat again?"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

howe_sam posted:

Along those same lines, I loved Sarah Jane's reaction when she realizes that Davros is in the Crucible during Stolen Earth/Journey's End. Just this pole-axed "oh gently caress this rear end in a top hat again?"

Made even better by Davros recognizing her.

"You were there... at the beginning..." - just this ancient monster who has wreaked untold horrors and killed countless people but she still stands out to him all these eons later.

RTD's era had a lot of problems but goddamn could he deliver when he was on.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Jerusalem posted:

RTD's era had a lot of problems but goddamn could he deliver when he was on.

Same could be said for Moffat. Hopefully Chibnall will be able to have as high of highs as they did, even if he has his lows.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

jivjov posted:

Oh I know the thematic connection; just would have liked to see more literal fallout from Osterhagen in particular

Well there's just a quick throwaway of Martha committing to disassembling it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Burkion posted:

And then there was the second to last episode of season 1

The reveal of The Masters

Which of course leads to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYoLG_iP9Ec

God drat

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

God Eccleston was so good. I feel like I tend to kind of forget that sometimes because of how little we got of him, then I see a repeat on telly or watch a clip like this and it's like "please come back to us and do some Big Finish, Chris."

Also, RIP Lynda with a Y.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That moment when he's been all cheery and lighthearted talking to the Daleks and then you see his face just fall :discourse:

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

TinTower posted:

Cassandra was a commentary on plastic surgery obsession. Making her trans contributed nothing to the plot except to low-key make a jab at trans people too.
Think you’re trying to read to much into that there.
It’s just one piece of Cassandra’s background. Not anything to do with her being a villain

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The_Doctor posted:

We knew John Simm was going to be the Master, and that Derek Jacobi was turning up as a befuddled old professor type, but I don’t think anyone twigged the actual reveal until the pocket watch turns up on screen. I’d say it was the revival’s first big OH poo poo moment.

I remember people had already noticed that "Mister Saxon" was an anagram of "Master No. Six" before Simm appeared. I think "Yana" being an acronym was the bigger twist and imagine the more obvious one was there to make sure it would be.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Can't find the tweet, but someone pointed out that it had only been nine years since Pertwee had left and his return in The Five Doctors. Eccelston has been gone for TWELVE.

To use another comparison, it had only been ten years since the end of the Classic series, and the first Big Finish Who

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Logopolis was released closer to WW2 than to today

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Davros1 posted:

Can't find the tweet, but someone pointed out that it had only been nine years since Pertwee had left and his return in The Five Doctors. Eccelston has been gone for TWELVE.

To use another comparison, it had only been ten years since the end of the Classic series, and the first Big Finish Who

Look, so long as he doesn't take as long as Tom Baker to return

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Logopolis was released closer to WW2 than to today

Rose was broadcast closer to the release of netscape navigator than to today.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Burkion posted:

Look, so long as he doesn't take as long as Tom Baker to return

21 years? We're getting there!

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Cerv posted:

Think you’re trying to read to much into that there.
It’s just one piece of Cassandra’s background. Not anything to do with her being a villain
Really? A character whose whole thing is being superficial and modifying their body to the point of absurdity just happens to be trans and that's just a totally incidental background detail not related to the rest of how that character is supposed to be gross?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Ok, let's do this!

It’s time for…

:siren: THE 2017 DOCTOR WHO THREAD SECRET SANTA! :siren:

Yes, it’s that time of the year again!

If you're new to this Secret Santa malarkey, we all throw our names into my hat, you receive a random name, and send that person a lovely gift of DOCTOR WHO goodies, toys, candy, maybe some booze (postage allowing), and all around a big ol' ball of holiday cheer! It's fun, trust me. No really.

SIGNING UP:

1) First thing, sign up here: http://goo.gl/forms/ldaiubFMd7

If you find you are having problems, email me at doctorwhosecretsanta [at] gmail [dot] com
In the subject, please include the tag [DWSS] as I am running another Secret Santa and don’t want to confuse the two.

2) Post in this thread! Tell us what kinds of stuff you're into! Once Santas are assigned, we're all going to be trying to figure each other out, so some healthy conversation will help things go smoothly.

3) DEADLINE: The deadline for sign-ups is THURSDAY NOVEMBER 30TH! #SAVETHEDAY Assignments will go out shortly thereafter.

4) BUDGET: Somewhere in the $25-$30 (£15-20) range (before shipping). You're welcome to spend more, but that's no guarantee you'll get that much in return. Gag gifts are cool, but please include some kind of actual gift.

5) COLLEGE STUDENTS: Remember that these gifts will likely go out around the holiday break, so be mindful of which address you give me. If you have any concerns about packages being stolen from your doorstep, use the address of your work/friend/parents, just so long as it's cool with them.

6) INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING: If you sign up for this, you are agreeing to the possibility of getting an international address. The USPS international price calculator can be found here.

7) SHIPPING DEADLINES:

Royal Mail last posting days: http://www.royalmail.com/greetings

USPS Holiday deadlines: https://www.usps.com/holiday/

8) WHEN YOUR GIFT ARRIVES: Show us your loot! Take pictures! You can wait until Christmas morning if you want, but still, show us all the awesome goodies your Santa brought you.

9) LATE PACKAGES: If you haven't received your gift by January 1st, let me know so I can look into it. If you haven't SENT your gift by December 15th, let me know so I can contact your recipient.

10) DON'T BE A DEADBEAT: If you sign up, please get your person something. Nobody likes a deadbeat santa.

11) FINALLY: A Merry Christmas to all of you at home!

12)

datingvolcanoes
Jan 22, 2006

getting real tired of your shit, steve
I just finished my rewatch of Capaldi, and since there are a few weeks to go, I’m finally taking the plunge with BritBox and beginning Classic Who, starting with An Unearthly Child. I’m sure it’ll be a bumpy ride as I move through, but I already love Hartnell and Susan.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

God Last Christmas was so loving good.

datingvolcanoes posted:

I just finished my rewatch of Capaldi, and since there are a few weeks to go, I’m finally taking the plunge with BritBox and beginning Classic Who, starting with An Unearthly Child. I’m sure it’ll be a bumpy ride as I move through, but I already love Hartnell and Susan.

Man I think most of the Hartnell stuff is great (what there is to see anyway) and then after that you've got the glory of Troughton... oh poo poo and then after that is Pertwee. Now to be fair it does start to feel a little tired towards the end of his run (still good) but then you get Tom Baker oh my God :hellyeah:

So basically you've got about 18 years worth of great stuff ahead of you, and even the Davison - McCoy era has a lot of really cool stuff in it, but it is when the wheels are starting to come off. Have fun!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

The_Doctor posted:

Ok, let's do this!

It’s time for…

:siren: THE 2017 DOCTOR WHO THREAD SECRET SANTA! :siren:

Yes, it’s that time of the year again!

Hell yes. My only regret is that I won’t be able to do international this year.

I highly encourage anyone who’s never done DWSS to sign up, it’s a lot of fun.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

jivjov posted:

Speaking of different plot threads; nothing ever came of Sarah Jane's exploding diamond necklace, or the Osterhagen project.

well, i mean

she died

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

jivjov posted:

Speaking of different plot threads; nothing ever came of Sarah Jane's exploding diamond necklace, or the Osterhagen project.

Don't think much more resolution can come from "doomsday weapon designed to blow up the world", to be honest

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

We knew John Simm was going to be the Master, and that Derek Jacobi was turning up as a befuddled old professor type, but I don’t think anyone twigged the actual reveal until the pocket watch turns up on screen. I’d say it was the revival’s first big OH poo poo moment.

Honestly, the final 15 minutes of Utopia is one of the best bits of RTD’s entire run. Everything from Jack and the Doctor’s conversation onwards is pure gold.

Martha spotting the pocket watch was the start of that reveal, but the OH poo poo moment for me didn't start until I heard Tony Ainley's laugh coming from the watch.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
The monster sale over at Big Finish was a complete bust for me. Only things I didn't own were two CD only releases. Lots of good stuff in there for people who haven't already spent way too much money on audio dramas though.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

jivjov posted:

people who haven't already spent way too much money on audio dramas though.

I was once like them, long ago....

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Gordon Shumway posted:

Martha spotting the pocket watch was the start of that reveal, but the OH poo poo moment for me didn't start until I heard Tony Ainley's laugh coming from the watch.

I am going to go watch that bit of Utopia again right now. I watch it a lot, I think it's incredible.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

HopperUK posted:

I am going to go watch that bit of Utopia again right now. I watch it a lot, I think it's incredible.

The way Jacobi snaps from kindly old Professor YANA to The Master in an instant is incredible. Then the glee he takes in being himself again just makes me wish we could have had more of him (happily Big Finish is taking care of that).

"Ooooh, now I can say I was provoked.... :getin:"

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Jerusalem posted:

The way Jacobi snaps from kindly old Professor YANA to The Master in an instant is incredible. Then the glee he takes in being himself again just makes me wish we could have had more of him (happily Big Finish is taking care of that).

My favourite little moment in that scene is when Chan'tho says she'll stop him, and he laughs. Not cruelly, he just finds it adorable that she thinks that.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

HopperUK posted:

My favourite little moment in that scene is when Chan'tho says she'll stop him, and he laughs. Not cruelly, he just finds it adorable that she thinks that.

Even his little,"Killed by an insect.... a GIRL..... how inappropriate!" is great, and goes to show how he differs from the Doctor (and Yana himself, who truly valued Chan'tho) with regressive attitudes.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I've been rereading the Narnia books lately (mediocre) and I decided to go review (i.e. look at a clip or two, not rewatch) the old BBC adaptations from my childhood - I just stumbled onto Tom Baker as Puddleglum in The Silver Chair.

Figured I'd share

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wh55SzhLkmc

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

CommonShore posted:

I've been rereading the Narnia books lately (mediocre) and I decided to go review the old BBC adaptations from my childhood - I just stumbled onto Tom Baker as Puddleglum in The Silver Chair.

Figured I'd share

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wh55SzhLkmc

That's actually how my wife knows Tom Baker best from. He's great in Narnia :)

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

jivjov posted:

The monster sale over at Big Finish was a complete bust for me. Only things I didn't own were two CD only releases. Lots of good stuff in there for people who haven't already spent way too much money on audio dramas though.

Because I think Big Finish needs more love, I've been releases that I've already gotten on a new account. After I finish re-listening to them all I can hand it over to my buddy, who has listened to some releases but never wants to pay full price.
Awesome Xmas present.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
https://twitter.com/grahamkw/status/935527337898233856

Personally I think the show started to go downhill when they shifted focus from the policeman walking through fog to that weird shack in the junkyard

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Forktoss posted:

https://twitter.com/grahamkw/status/935527337898233856

Personally I think the show started to go downhill when they shifted focus from the policeman walking through fog to that weird shack in the junkyard

https://twitter.com/LondonConcrete/status/935564286520381442

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Do they have Root Beer in England?

https://twitter.com/Lisagreenwood20/status/934474254791344129

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Tangentially related, I have regenerated into a new form.

Really hope I don't start going backwards at some point that would be unfortunate

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Jerusalem posted:

"Not to worry, my dear. As one door closes, another opens."

That right there sums up Jacobi's Master in a nutshell and is the quote I remember from him the most, followed closely by his incredibly venomous "WITH YOUR CHANS AND YOUR THOS"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

datingvolcanoes posted:

I was in the middle of this and got up to the Fifth Doctor's era, but the I got Super Mario Odyssey, so it'll be some time before I finish. It was really good to see Tom Baker again.

• Locked thread