Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Burkion posted:

Tom Baker is just

Thank you Tom. Continuously thank you

Every time I see him I'm reminded how glad I was he could be in the 50th and, in fine Tom Baker fashion, played both The Doctor and Not The Doctor at the same time.

Who knows. Who. Nose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Tom Baker is proof we're not living in the darkest timeline.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I finished the first story from the new 10th Doctor Volume, it was a predictable twist but poo poo got surprisingly dark and it fits in perfectly with the RTD feel of the 10th Doctor era.

Plus Jackie is goddamn amazing in it.

"It's not like I'm gonna nut a Martian :mad:" "Oi! You scared of strong women?"

quote:

“It was shot with 1979 tube cameras,” he went on. “We were working in a television studio as opposed to a film stage, so we could get the lighting right. We had a very good lighting guy who had actually worked on Doctor Who in the 70s and 80s.

This sound loving awesome.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I really wish they had the time and budget to film the entire thing that way.

King Plum the Nth
Oct 16, 2008

Jan 2018: I've been rereading my post history and realized that I can be a moronic bloviating asshole. FWIW, I apologize for most of everything I've ever written on the internet. In future, if I can't say something functional or funny, I won't say anything at all.

Holy poo poo, Tom looks *great*. Lost some weight, got the hair back, even his voice and general demeanor sound livelier to me. I hate to be morbid but, when people get to a certain age, you start to think " . . . well, any day now" and as sweet as it was to see him in the 50th and to get new audio adventures I kind of felt like he might be past his best. But this made me super happy.

Now, all I really want for Christmas, is a direct to streaming series, Big Finish Video Division, something -- doesn't have to be a big deal -- just a little show like The Sarah Jane Adventures built around "The Curators." Tom, Peter, Colin, Sylv taking it in turns mentoring young adventures from the halls of an impossible museum. Maybe the odd crossover with Doctors still in their prime during the midst of their adventures McGann-Whittaker). No rhyme nor reason to it, just this odd old man or that from episode to episode (as schedules and scripts permit). *sigh* "The shows in my mind are almost always better."

King Plum the Nth fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Nov 24, 2017

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

The_Doctor posted:

“I’m a Doctor, but probably not the one you were expecting.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdpHbApkZnQ

:circlefap:

(Holby & Casualty fangirl of decades here, and was not expecting that!)

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
While we're celebrating Tom Baker, let's not forget his finest hour outside of Who:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQeTIjD0T_4

(I like the start of this because it really sounds like he's trying to make this stuff better, before finally getting fed up of Clem Fandango in the booth and bailing on it entirely)

Edit: "Are you sure this isn't a translation from the loving Albanian?"

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Did someone say Tom Baker?

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Fil5000 posted:

While we're celebrating Tom Baker, let's not forget his finest hour outside of Who:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQeTIjD0T_4

(I like the start of this because it really sounds like he's trying to make this stuff better, before finally getting fed up of Clem Fandango in the booth and bailing on it entirely)

Edit: "Are you sure this isn't a translation from the loving Albanian?"

Orbital used those lines in a remix of their doctor who theme which was a nice surprise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltLV25nIvN0

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
I've always had a fondness for a story recording he did for a sci-fi themed park ride called Nemesis.
His serious husky voice. Brrr!

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002
When he’s pretending Symphony will become the sexiest word ever, he sort of turns it into the sexiest word ever.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Didn't see anyone post about this yet; but Big Finish is running the same Black Friday/Small Business Saturday/?????/Cyber Monday deal as last year. Today is Daleks, discounts on Churchill Vol 1, Benny Vol 1, Return of the Daleks, and a couple Main Range Dalek tales. I owned everything in today's batch, so I'll hopefully get something tomorrow.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Listening to the second story in the new 10th Doctor Adventures story, I like what feels like a (not particularly subtle) bit of commentary on Jodie Whittaker's casting.

Rose: So he... she was a man, but now she's a woman? But was she actuall..
10: Ohhhh who cares about gender, it's so arbitrary. She was a man, now she's a woman, what does it really matter? v:shobon:v

I really dug it :)

jivjov posted:

Didn't see anyone post about this yet; but Big Finish is running the same Black Friday/Small Business Saturday/?????/Cyber Monday deal as last year. Today is Daleks, discounts on Churchill Vol 1, Benny Vol 1, Return of the Daleks, and a couple Main Range Dalek tales. I owned everything in today's batch, so I'll hopefully get something tomorrow.

Thanks for the heads up!

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

jivjov posted:

Didn't have Return of the Daleks so that's one pickup for me. Can't think of much else they could really offer for the other few days that I don't already have.

If the Early Adventure story The Sontarans goes on special everyone should buy it,

Barry the Sprout
Jan 12, 2001

The Ice Warrior stories are up on sale now. Didn't pick up Mission to Magnus, because ew Philip Martin. Might have splurged on some of the others...

Of the ones I've listened to, Thin Ice was fair to good, and Frozen Time was just bland.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Jerusalem posted:

Listening to the second story in the new 10th Doctor Adventures story, I like what feels like a (not particularly subtle) bit of commentary on Jodie Whittaker's casting.

Rose: So he... she was a man, but now she's a woman? But was she actuall..
10: Ohhhh who cares about gender, it's so arbitrary. She was a man, now she's a woman, what does it really matter? v:shobon:v

I really dug it :)

I wasn't sure if that was specifically a commentary on Whittaker, or just the current environment of trans acceptance; but yeah, it was not subtle in the slightest...which is I think exactly how it would have been handled in the show circa 2006

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

jivjov posted:

which is I think exactly how it would have been handled in the show circa 2006

For everything good AND bad about this latest volume that I've listened to so far, I have to say that it feels EXACTLY like how RTD would have put television episodes together and I really appreciate that.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Jerusalem posted:

For everything good AND bad about this latest volume that I've listened to so far, I have to say that it feels EXACTLY like how RTD would have put television episodes together and I really appreciate that.

Yeah; I was starting to get annoyed with 10 and Rose being smugly and sickeningly cute with each other...but that was the exact dynamic of the show as presented. Props to Big Finish for capturing the era. All that's missing is that one newscaster lady.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Barry the Sprout posted:

The Ice Warrior stories are up on sale now. Didn't pick up Mission to Magnus, because ew Philip Martin. Might have splurged on some of the others...

Of the ones I've listened to, Thin Ice was fair to good, and Frozen Time was just bland.

Mission to Magnus is loving awful so you made the right call. loving Sil. loving Anzor.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Ten & Rose were recorded back in May. I doubt BF was clued in to Jodie's casting.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Davros1 posted:

Ten & Rose were recorded back in May. I doubt BF was clued in to Jodie's casting.

Oh, in that case yep it obviously wasn't. Still a cool line just in general anyway.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

My very slow rewatch of the revival chugged forward a lot yesterday because I was sick - I watched six episodes, Utopia to the Fires of Pompeii.

I can't get past how bad and unsatisfying the resolution was for "Last of the Time Lords." I remember being underwhelmed by it my first time through, but this time it makes even less sense. Everyone thinks about The Doctor at once and it turns him into an Angel? And if shooting a few bullets at the paradox engine undoes everything, why is it even necessary? I can't thoroughly cover how dumb that is, but you'd think The Master would know about that implication and taken advantage of it when he was, you know, the target of the world's love and obsession as Harold Saxon.

As an aside, was the reveal of The Master in utopia a surprise when that aired back in 2007?

The Voyage of the Damned is a mess, too. There are so many likeable bit characters and they just die needlessly in a random hodgepodge of bullshit. Then we get a bit more of the "Divine Doctor" imagery, which is unnecessary.
Either of these stories seems as if it could have been good, or at least just ok, but they ended up weird and bad. There's a ton of poo poo wrong with "Partners in Crime," too.

Donna is great, even when she's in a story that isn't. The secret multidoctor episode was fun, though.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

CommonShore posted:

As an aside, was the reveal of The Master in utopia a surprise when that aired back in 2007?

We knew John Simm was going to be the Master, and that Derek Jacobi was turning up as a befuddled old professor type, but I don’t think anyone twigged the actual reveal until the pocket watch turns up on screen. I’d say it was the revival’s first big OH poo poo moment.

Honestly, the final 15 minutes of Utopia is one of the best bits of RTD’s entire run. Everything from Jack and the Doctor’s conversation onwards is pure gold.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The_Doctor posted:

Honestly, the final 15 minutes of Utopia is one of the best bits of RTD’s entire run. Everything from Jack and the Doctor’s conversation onwards is pure gold.

I can agree with that I was like "ohhh shiiiiiiiit!" the entire time yesterday, even though I had seen it before.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

jivjov posted:

I wasn't sure if that was specifically a commentary on Whittaker, or just the current environment of trans acceptance; but yeah, it was not subtle in the slightest...which is I think exactly how it would have been handled in the show circa 2006

Probably the latter; the show's being seeding trans acceptance through teasing a female Doctor for most of Capaldi's tenure ("Is the future going to be all-girl?" "We can only hope").

Still a little annoyed at RTD's jab at trans people with Cassandra back in '05, but Cucumber and Banana show he's definitely on the right side now. :shobon:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

CommonShore posted:

Donna is great, even when she's in a story that isn't.

I'm almost done with season 4 in my own revival rewatch and I have to ask, does any companion get as ruthlessly, and unfairly, poo poo on as much as Donna? People are constantly running her down, she gets trapped in a computer, trapped in a dystopic hellscape, and then to top it all off she winds up exactly back where she started in a life she hated with a mother who hates her. Donna's great, but sheeesh.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

TinTower posted:

Probably the latter; the show's being seeding trans acceptance through teasing a female Doctor for most of Capaldi's tenure ("Is the future going to be all-girl?" "We can only hope").

Still a little annoyed at RTD's jab at trans people with Cassandra back in '05, but Cucumber and Banana show he's definitely on the right side now. :shobon:

This isn't a defense, but trans awareness was not very high even just a decade ago; hell, when I was a fresher in the early 2000's the college I was a member of was still referring to LGB not LGBT, let alone LGBT+.

It's an area that social media and the internet have probably been instrumental in spreading awareness of, for non-jerks at least (eg Neville Southall)

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
It's been ages since I watched season 1 and 2 of Doctor Who, what was the jab at trans people? I remember that Cassandra was a villain and lowkey stated to be trans, but I don't remember that being used as a punchline.

Then again, I wasn't super sensitive to that stuff back then, so I probably just missed it.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

It's been ages since I watched season 1 and 2 of Doctor Who, what was the jab at trans people? I remember that Cassandra was a villain and lowkey stated to be trans, but I don't remember that being used as a punchline.

Then again, I wasn't super sensitive to that stuff back then, so I probably just missed it.

Cassandra was a commentary on plastic surgery obsession. Making her trans contributed nothing to the plot except to low-key make a jab at trans people too.

Incidentally, I kind of blame the current increase in transphobia on this side of the pond on the fact Julie Hesmondhalgh is no longer in Corrie.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The_Doctor posted:

We knew John Simm was going to be the Master, and that Derek Jacobi was turning up as a befuddled old professor type, but I don’t think anyone twigged the actual reveal until the pocket watch turns up on screen. I’d say it was the revival’s first big OH poo poo moment.

Indeed. I knew The Master was coming back, knew about Simm, and I think I was leaning towards Jacobi being some OTHER secret Time Lord who had escaped the Time War, maybe a minor official or academic. When he became The Master that was one of the greatest things I'd seen on tv.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
And honestly, it felt like what the 'All the Strange, Strange Creatures' bit of music had been leading up to, so Murray Gold throws it and some extra drums in there together to make his ultimate OH poo poo music. :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okXZ3QuLDYg

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!

The_Doctor posted:

The revival's first big OHHHH poo poo moment for me, on first viewing, was "THE SPHERE IS NOT OURS" from the end of Army of Ghosts.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

FreezingInferno posted:

The revival's first big OHHHH poo poo moment for me, on first viewing, was "THE SPHERE IS NOT OURS" from the end of Army of Ghosts.
The payoff to that is still probably my favourite moment from the revival. Holy gently caress, Daleks! "Location: Earth! Life forms detected! EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINAAAATEEE!!!!"

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I skipped a few episodes in season 4 because i had watched them individually recently. I'm on to The Stolen Earth / Journey's End - and I quite like this story. I'm typically pretty critical of stories which rely on universal apocalypse or "save the world" to create stakes, but this one does it right.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Journey's End really nails a "big event" feeling, and there's a bunch of cool poo poo happening. I'm a sucker for bringing back throwaway plot elements so I loved the Doctor's old discarded extra hand coming back to play a part in saving the day

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The fast-paced sizzling music and all of the different plot threads dogpiling on top of each other is great.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Speaking of different plot threads; nothing ever came of Sarah Jane's exploding diamond necklace, or the Osterhagen project.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

I’d say it was the revival’s first big OH poo poo moment.

Payndz posted:

The payoff to that is still probably my favourite moment from the revival. Holy gently caress, Daleks! "Location: Earth! Life forms detected! EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINAAAATEEE!!!!"

:hellyeah:

As I've said many times before, even beyond the fantastic reveal/cliffhanger, I love so much that the moment the Daleks emerge from a void outside of reality itself, they detect life forms and immediate start screaming EXTERMINATE! Not because they're a threat, not even because the location is Earth.... it's just that they've detected non-Dalek life in general therefore they have to destroy it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Oh yeah, I forgot about that! They did slightly spoil it in the trailer for Army of Ghosts by including a half second shot of someone getting exterminated (the negative skeleton effect), so we knew they were coming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

jivjov posted:

Speaking of different plot threads; nothing ever came of Sarah Jane's exploding diamond necklace, or the Osterhagen project.

That'sall used to set up the idea of the Doctor 'turning people into weapons'.

• Locked thread